23-09: "Holidays of Future Passed" 2011.12.11

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.

45 replies to this topic

InvaderNorbert

InvaderNorbert

Fanatic

Posted Dec 18, 2011 @ 3:03 PM

Jenda was Bart's girlfriend from "Future-Drama," the previous time-skip episode. She was voiced by Amy Poehler.

maculae

maculae

Couch Potato

Posted Dec 20, 2011 @ 1:54 PM

I'm a Lisa/Nelson shipper so I was happy they "talk on the phone". And I was surprised they actually went ahead and made Lisa a LUG.

What's a LUG?

And yes, I too prefer Lisa/Nelson over Lisa/Milhouse.

honybr

honybr

Loyal Viewer

Posted Dec 20, 2011 @ 5:02 PM

What's a LUG?

Lesbian until graduation.

I really liked the episode. I enjoyed that Marge and Homer looked like they had a blast after all the kids left. For some reason the "I'm getting a b-mail" made me giggle every time. I liked the part where Lisa was complaining about her daughter to Millhouse and he said they only used the strongest genes from her (very bad paraphrase) and she said "Well you parked the car. That was helpful." I know couples who are kind of like that now.

Dei

Dei

Video Archivist

Posted Dec 20, 2011 @ 7:08 PM

I read an interview with Matt Groening a few days ago; he said they wrote this while contract negotiations were playing out, so they wrote it to also work as a series wrap-up.

Wow, I liked the episode a lot but god would I have hated it as a finale because that would have meant Lisa marrying Milhouse was canon. I don't mind his crush on her, but I never like the idea of poor Lisa actually ended up stuck with him. Being able to tell myself that the future the episode showed is just a what-if is what kept it from casting a pall on it for me.

benteen

benteen

Stalker

Posted Dec 20, 2011 @ 9:51 PM

I like Milhouse but yeah, Lisa deserves better.

WileyCoyote

WileyCoyote

Fanatic

Posted Dec 21, 2011 @ 2:57 AM

Kinda miffed that they keep finding convenient reasons and/or means not to have Maggie speak in these future-view episodes.

That's the best part.

I liked this episode quite a lot. I haven't seen a new episode in years, but it looks like I picked the right one to watch.

I enjoyed that Marge and Homer looked like they had a blast after all the kids left.

I thought it appropriate that Marge and Homer are still together, and fairly happy. I don't particularly care what happens to the kid's marriages, since we the viewers aren't terribly invested in them, but Marge & Homer deserve their happy ending. Or whatever it is, since there's more show to be had after this and its not a series wrapup.

JTMacc99

JTMacc99

Stalker

• Interests:I like TV.

Posted Dec 21, 2011 @ 9:17 AM

I liked this episode quite a lot. I haven't seen a new episode in years, but it looks like I picked the right one to watch.

IMO, the last four years have created far more fun episodes than seasons 11-14, even if many of the latest ones are new versions of stories already told a long time ago.

I watched another episode in syndication a couple days ago, where Homer was looking over an orphan kid that Bart brought home. He essentially compared the kid to Millhouse ("No glasses...") and heartily approved that the kid was superior in every way. Made me think of the long history of Homer not being particularly impressed with Millhouse. I'm thinking Homer would have probably let Lisa know that she deserved better at some point.

(Looking at the Dud card: "Hey, he looks like you!")

Edited by JTMacc99, Dec 21, 2011 @ 9:19 AM.

Lazlo

Lazlo

Couch Potato

Posted Dec 21, 2011 @ 10:23 AM

Like Nelson.

I actually feel worse for Bart though; I know he ends up a Justice of the Supreme Court but most of his adult life always seems so bleak in future episodes, far more so than Homer at his age who at least has a happy marriage with the girl of his dreams. Was it too much to have the writers throw him a bone and him reconcile with Jenda at the end (I know she only appeared once before but I liked her.)

Kel Varnsen

Kel Varnsen

Stalker

Posted Dec 21, 2011 @ 3:02 PM

Made me think of the long history of Homer not being particularly impressed with Millhouse. I'm thinking Homer would have probably let Lisa know that she deserved better at some point.

(Looking at the Dud card: "Hey, he looks like you!")

That is a scene they need to have in the next future episode. Because as much as Homer loves his kids and will do anything for them, he hates Millhouse. My favourite homer hating milhouse moment (other than the mystery date) is in Burns, baby burns where Homer and Larry Burns are having dinner with Monty, and Monty asks homer if his son has annoying friends too. Instead of taking it as an insult to himself, homer asks Burns if he has ever heard of this kid Millhouse and starts going off about how he is a little weiner.

qtpye

qtpye

Couch Potato

Posted Dec 21, 2011 @ 3:51 PM

So much disappointment that on tv smart girls tend to end up with losers. I would rather Lisa end up single or in a committed relationship with a lesbian ( I have a feeling her taste in women is superior to her taste in men) then with Millhouse.

I can only take solace that the daughter had none of his genetic material.

Edited by qtpye, Dec 30, 2011 @ 1:52 AM.

Thena

Thena

Fanatic

Posted Dec 21, 2011 @ 3:59 PM

I don't particularly care what happens to the kid's marriages, since we the viewers aren't terribly invested in them, but Marge & Homer deserve their happy ending.

I definitely think Homer and Marge deserve to be happy. I loved seeing them as grandparents and retirees. But some of us are definitely invested in Lisa & Bart.

So much disappointment that on tv smart girls tend to end up with losers.

Word. At least she seems to like Nelson and for a cartoon couple, they have a lot of chemistry. I am hoping that once Zia goes to college, Lisa will divorce Millhouse. He was a lot less annoying in this episode than he was in the other future eps, but still... it's Millhouse.

Lazlo

Lazlo

Couch Potato

Posted Dec 21, 2011 @ 7:16 PM

But some of us are definitely invested in Lisa & Bart.

Yes. Which is why (apart from liking Jenda and being glad to see her get a continuity nod) I was a little disappointed that Adult!Bart was made such a loser again.

alynch

alynch

Fanatic

Posted Dec 22, 2011 @ 9:48 PM

Wow, I liked the episode a lot but god would I have hated it as a finale because that would have meant Lisa marrying Milhouse was canon. I don't mind his crush on her, but I never like the idea of poor Lisa actually ended up stuck with him. Being able to tell myself that the future the episode showed is just a what-if is what kept it from casting a pall on it for me.

I don't know. I think you kind of have to consider this episode canon. All the other future episodes have filtered the future through some sort of narrative device (fortune teller, Indian mystic, Professor Frink's machine), which left enough wiggle room to dismiss the events as merely hypothetical or mistaken. This one presented future events directly to the audience, as if it were just a regular episode. Therefore, what logic can be used to dismiss these events that can't be used to dismiss almost every episode the show's ever done?

Edited by alynch, Dec 22, 2011 @ 9:51 PM.

McKay

McKay

Stalker

Posted Dec 23, 2011 @ 12:07 PM

I would rather Lisa end up single or in a committed lesbian relationship with a lesbian ( I have a feeling her taste in women is superior to her taste in men) then with Millhouse.

I keep thinking that Lisa and Juliet are going to reconnect in college and have a thing - though really, I can see Lisa being a happily single adult. Still, Lisa's possible feelings for Milhouse were already made canon...albeit with absolutely no reasoning given. Milhouse is one of my favorite characters, but seriously, Lisa can do better.

Limbonaut

Limbonaut

Stalker

Posted Dec 26, 2011 @ 11:31 AM

That is a scene they need to have in the next future episode. Because as much as Homer loves his kids and will do anything for them, he hates Millhouse. My favourite homer hating milhouse moment (other than the mystery date) is in Burns, baby burns where Homer and Larry Burns are having dinner with Monty, and Monty asks homer if his son has annoying friends too. Instead of taking it as an insult to himself, homer asks Burns if he has ever heard of this kid Millhouse and starts going off about how he is a little weiner.

My favorite Homer hating Milhouse moment is from the Halloween episode spoof of "I Know What You Did Last Summer" where Homer accidentally hits Ned with his car. After he and the family try to escape a killer in a car he sees Milhouse on the street and says "You know I never liked that Milhouse!" and tries to run him over!

I thought it appropriate that Marge and Homer are still together, and fairly happy. I don't particularly care what happens to the kid's marriages, since we the viewers aren't terribly invested in them, but Marge & Homer deserve their happy ending. Or whatever it is, since there's more show to be had after this and its not a series wrapup.

I loved their Christmas cards from underwater New York, The now desert South Pole and Mars!

Blue32

Blue32

Fanatic

Posted Jan 8, 2012 @ 5:35 PM

Just caught this episode. I found it pretty...moving, actually. Bart and Lisa's drunken conversation was really well written, and Homer's bit about dads was priceless: "Everyone thinks their dad's a jerk. And everyone's right! But as you get older, you realize how much you love them." Aw. Also, ha! (I also liked Lisa snapping at Marge "I am trying to deal with my disrespectful daughter, but you are too clueless to understand what that's like!")

Abe yelling at Homer "You quit drinking like a coward! The one thing you were good at!" was kind of funny and painful at the same time, since that is exactly the kind of thing jerk parents yell at their kids during arguments. Ouch.

A lot of the futuristic touches were played for laughs (hovercar, Mad Max-style air travel), but you know, a lot of it seemed not too far out there, especially everything involving the Ultranet (and the virtual reality of Google) or electronic gadgets (like the eBook thing voice criticizing Homer's reading choices, heh). Even the MedBot wasn't too crazy, as the use of robots during certain types of surgical procedures is currently being researched. So that was pretty neat.

The sequence of Christmas photos was great. I especially loved Lisa in the Sailor Moon getup. Lisa seems like the kind of girl who would have an anime phase.

Edited by Blue32, Jan 8, 2012 @ 5:50 PM.