6-11: "Talk to the Hand" 2011.12.11

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.

171 replies to this topic

TWoP Tennison

TWoP Tennison

Fanatic

• Interests:Moderating

Posted Dec 11, 2011 @ 4:51 PM

Dexter works to catch the Doomsday Killers; Debra's battle with LaGuerta boils over.

Keep it on topic, everyone. There are other threads to discuss past seasons, future episodes, etc.

VioletMarx

VioletMarx

Couch Potato

Posted Dec 11, 2011 @ 10:00 PM

So, I guess I'm free to ship Shiloh and Pax?

LIamsmom617

LIamsmom617

Video Archivist

Posted Dec 11, 2011 @ 10:04 PM

Now THIS was old-school "Dexter". 'Bout goddamn time. Next week looks kick-ass, too.

SzmuttyPratfall

SzmuttyPratfall

Loyal Viewer

Posted Dec 11, 2011 @ 10:06 PM

LaGuerta's undoing of her character development through her first 4 seasons is finally complete. God what a bitch.

My problem with this episode is that I actually liked it. The Debra really loves Dex stuff made me roll my eyes but, I thought the rest of it had nice tension and flow. The problem is is that it took until episode 11 of this season, for me to get into the story. It should have had this urgency since the beginning, I should have cared episode 1. But now I actually am looking forward to next episode, though I hope they don't kill Jamie. The new characters at Metro have been the strength of this season.

I almost fell out of my chair laughing when i saw the Satan painting redone with Dexter's face, and how quickly it was done to.

marioninnyc

marioninnyc

Video Archivist

Posted Dec 11, 2011 @ 10:07 PM

yeech.
I'm going to the speculation thread because of course what I really talk about is the previews, but I've got to say: WORST THERAPIST EVER.

It should have pretty clear to the therapist that Deb didn't want to go there. Even if it's what the therapist thought was going on and even if the therapist is right, you don't just throw this in.

I did find the ring of fire thing really implausible for many reasons including the ridiculous Batman like quality of let's have the psychokiller who will psychokill anybody instead devise some tortuous way to kill Dexter that will offer a one in a million chance for him to escape.

VioletMarx

VioletMarx

Couch Potato

Posted Dec 11, 2011 @ 10:11 PM

Batman like quality of let's have the psychokiller who will psychokill anybody instead devise some tortuous way to kill Dexter that will offer a one in a million chance for him to escape.

...and let's have the psychokiller speed away instead of staying to make sure that Dexter really does die. Hasn't this guy seen Austin Powers???

And can anyone explain to me why he didn't just shoot Angel in the head instead of setting fire, not to the bed he was in, but to the area around but slightly removed from the bed?

I almost fell out of my chair laughing when i saw the Satan painting redone with Dexter's face, and how quickly it was done to.

Funniest fucking thing I've seen all year.

Edited by VioletMarx, Dec 11, 2011 @ 10:13 PM.

DaLovin Dj

DaLovin Dj

Couch Potato

Posted Dec 11, 2011 @ 10:18 PM

There is jumping the shark, and then there is a two-man triple flip - the most dangerous move in all of trapeze - performed by drunken Russian circus-men with no net above a school of sharks brought in for shark week. That is this season of Dexter.

I'd list the reasons why, but the show really doesn't even warrant analysis anymore. It's become a parody of itself. Shame.

Edited by DaLovin Dj, Dec 11, 2011 @ 10:22 PM.

LIamsmom617

LIamsmom617

Video Archivist

Posted Dec 11, 2011 @ 10:19 PM

I too laughed my ass off @ the painting w/Dexter's face. Hee!!!
Also giggled at the clunky "666-that's the mark of the beast!" Der, really?! I'm an atheist and was raised Jewish (we don't believe in Satan) and even I know what 666 "means".

marioninnyc

marioninnyc

Video Archivist

Posted Dec 11, 2011 @ 10:29 PM

I'd list the reasons why, but the show really doesn't even warrant analysis anymore. It's become a parody of itself. Shame.

The thing that makes me saddest is the loss of witty voice overs. I know I said something similar about last week's episode, but this one seemed even worse and ripe for parody. It's at the point where it's like closed captioning.

LIamsmom617

LIamsmom617

Video Archivist

Posted Dec 11, 2011 @ 10:34 PM

At least this week, they stopped @ voice-overs stating the obvious--big improvement over last week, w/Dexter actually bleating OUT LOUD, TO HIMSELF, "I've gotta stop him!"

omophagia

omophagia

Loyal Viewer

Posted Dec 11, 2011 @ 10:50 PM

At least this week, they stopped @ voice-overs stating the obvious--big improvement over last week, w/Dexter actually bleating OUT LOUD, TO HIMSELF, "I've gotta stop him!"

I don't know. I laughed almost as hard as tonight's dead-serious, "It worked," as Lil' Hanks was walking toward Dexter's trap (followed almost immediately by the "Not now!" response to the nosebleed) as I did at that line from last week!

ttfr1

ttfr1

Couch Potato

Posted Dec 11, 2011 @ 10:53 PM

I liked the ep. Call me unrefined and silly but I liked it.

Jennifer Carpenter is an awesome actress. Heart her soo much,

I don't like the possible incest thing but I understand how she feels. It's all brought on by the fact that, to her knowledge, Dex has saved her life twice. Once with Rudy and now with the DDK bomber. That, and the fact that Daddy Dearest alweys favored Dex over her...it's all kinda fits into a Freudian thing. She's identifying Dex with Dad, because he spent so much time with him, and the fact that he is always her savior. Of course she would see him as a safe place.

I have had a few too many glasses of wine so I'm not my usual PC self. I watch for JC and only JC. It was a great ep for her, imo. But, really, I enjoyed it all.

Edited by ttfr1, Dec 11, 2011 @ 10:59 PM.

WD69

WD69

Channel Surfer

Posted Dec 11, 2011 @ 10:57 PM

There is jumping the shark, and then there is a two-man triple flip - the most dangerous move in all of trapeze - performed by drunken Russian circus-men with no net above a school of sharks brought in for shark week. That is this season of Dexter.

Couldn't agree more. I usually come to post some snarky nit picks and such, but this season goes past nitpickiness, in a cheesy banal sort of way.

Either the eps have been so butchered and sloppy (and warrant the abundance of our snark as we've seen all season) or they're just "meh" like this one.

I just don't even care anymore. It's amazing that "Dexter" has come to that. Well, at least I've now got "Homeland" on Sunday nights.

Sour K

Sour K

Loyal Viewer

Posted Dec 11, 2011 @ 11:07 PM

I actually liked this, too. It left me really interested in what the intern is up to, and moderately interested in what will happen with Travis and Dexter. At this point, there are so many clues linking them together that someone at Miami Metro has got to notice, right? Travis painted Dexter on that person's wall! His phone has a video message from Dexter saying "OMG I'm Satan!" I'm sure the video message or the phone will conveniently disappear, but still...

I also enjoyed LaGuerta's evil manouvering. It's true that I liked her most in seasons two and three when it seemed like she had good qualities -- it's kind of annoying that she's become more of a one-dimensional bad guy -- but her manipulative side was always there, and the fact that she's such a bitch about it makes me hate her and fear for what will happen to Deb in a way that I'm pretty sure the show is intending.

I also felt like this episode retroactively made the question of why Travis suddenly needed helpers seem less stupid. He needed someone to suicide bomb Miami Metro and he obviously wasn't going to do it himself, so he needed to get some helpers and ensure that they were loyal by bringing them into the murder last week so that they wouldn't back out this week. It actually kind of makes sense.

The part I still don't like is that Travis is some kind of evil mastermind, which is contrary to how he was portrayed all season, but whatever. It's almost over.

Also, I did kind of chuckle at the Dexter VO that was all, "She's right! If I hadn't called the police, Angel would be dead!" as if that should distract us from the fact that he's been interfering with the investigation until now. The police might have caught Travis a long time ago if Dexter wasn't trying to screw them up and Angel would be okay in that case, too.

cagewench

cagewench

Fanatic

• Interests:So You Think You Can Dance, How I Met Your Mother, Fringe, Comic Book Men, Alphas, Don't Trust the B in Apt 23, Castle, Switched at Birth, Survivor, Supernatural, Doctor Who, Dexter, True Blood, Torchwood, and cancelled shows like: BTVS, Angel, Firefly, Dark Angel, Roswell, Wonderfalls, Dead Like Me, Battlestar Galactica, Tru Calling, Smallville, Wonder Woman, Black Adder, Reaper, the 4400, Coupling (UK) Pushing Daisies, Heroes, and many more.

Posted Dec 11, 2011 @ 11:09 PM

So stupid... especially the Satan painting redone as Dexter & Dexter sending the freakin' video to Travis.

If Travis had killed Angel, I might have thought the episode was redeemable.

I am just sick of this show.

Atomic Clock

Atomic Clock

Fanatic

Posted Dec 11, 2011 @ 11:25 PM

I just don't even care anymore. It's amazing that "Dexter" has come to that. Well, at least I've now got "Homeland" on Sunday nights.

Amen! Though in fairness, we'll see where Homeland's at by it's sixth season...assuming it makes it that far.

Come to think of it, I can't recall any show that could sustain itself in terms of quality for more than five seasons save one; The Shield. Even that one had some bumps along the way...and Dexter sure ain't The Shield.

I am just sick of this show.

This. And if the writers really are going to go down the twisted path of Dex/Deb incest, thereby validating all of the internet pervs who have thus far kept it relegated to the fanfic department...well, I won't even be back for a snarky parting shot.

Lecky

Lecky

Channel Surfer

Posted Dec 11, 2011 @ 11:27 PM

I thought eventually Deb was going to find out Dexter was a killer, not fall in love with him! Wait...what??

Skylergirl

Skylergirl

Video Archivist

Posted Dec 11, 2011 @ 11:38 PM

Dexter and Deb as a couple is just beyond gross. Just becasue they are not biologically related, the are legaly (Dexter was adopted) and they were raised as brother and sister. The incest taboo still applies. It sends a message that all adopted children and siblings are not "really" related.

And I agree with the upthread that the therapist is the worst therapist ever.

I knew Dexter would survive the ring of fire (it is hard to continue Dexter without Dexter) but seriously that took some serious suspended disbelieve that just wasn't forthcoming.

bcharmer

bcharmer

Fanatic

Posted Dec 11, 2011 @ 11:38 PM

When the therapist was talking to Deb about why Dexter was so important to her, when she said, "Maybe because he's the only guy in my life that I haven't..." - I almost thought she was going to say "slept with."

valny

valny

Stalker

Posted Dec 11, 2011 @ 11:41 PM

The problem is is that it took until episode 11 of this season, for me to get into the story. It should have had this urgency since the beginning, I should have cared episode 1.

I know! It figures that at this point it starts getting really good. But I will say, I thought after ep 1 that it had potential to be a good season. Ok so I was wrong! At least I have some real interest in the finale, which I really wish the damn promo monkeys wouldn't have given so much away! I supposed I just shouldn't watch them,but I didn't think they'd practically show what could be almost all the tension filled,high points! Geez, scale it back a bit why don't you!

It should have pretty clear to the therapist that Deb didn't want to go there.

Yeah, I didn't want it to got there either! No like! When Deb woke up, it reminded me of a situation that happened in S5 of Buffy(the dream part,not brother & sister part) Anyone? *crickets*

I too laughed my ass off @ the painting w/Dexter's face

. Yeah, that was pretty funny....are remarkably accurate looking.

Edited by valny, Dec 11, 2011 @ 11:43 PM.

Lecky

Lecky

Channel Surfer

Posted Dec 11, 2011 @ 11:43 PM

Wow who knew Dexter was going to play out like a V.C. Andrews novel.

HeroBrown1

HeroBrown1

Loyal Viewer

Posted Dec 11, 2011 @ 11:44 PM

Seriously. WORST PSYCHIATRIST EVER. Deb was obviously uncomfortable with her suggestion that she's in love with her brother, yet she kept pressing her. I don't think any professional would make their patient so angry the way she did with Debra.

-Dexter making a video in front of his own boat and sends it to Travis' phone?!!!!
-Travis' painting of Dexter was fucking hilarious.
-Matthews is such a dick.
-Laguerta, you manipulative bitch.
-The hug Deb gave Dex the first time was sooooo uncomfortable, but is it wrong that I actually LIKED the dream sequence between them? Kudos to JC and MCH for pulling the scene off so well.
-How convenient that Dexter's nose starts bleeding
-And...of course Dexter escapes from a fiery explosion. WTF.

valny

valny

Stalker

Posted Dec 12, 2011 @ 12:01 AM

-And...of course Dexter escapes from a fiery explosion. WTF.

I didn't expect the explosion but I thought right away that of course he would just go underwater to escape the ring 'o fire.

MyGood

MyGood

Channel Surfer

Posted Dec 12, 2011 @ 12:13 AM

I know this ties in with last week's ep, but I hope I'm not the only one who can't figure out how the yacht got back to the marina. If Dexter took it back in, he certainly made short work of it, hoping, I guess, that the cops that HE had just called were going to take their sweet time getting there. Which, of course, brings up the question of how he got onto the yacht in the first place. If he took his own boat, what did he do with it--tow it along behind? ("Oh, excuse me, Officers, while I untie this. Yes, 'Slice of Life,' inside joke...")

Also, I can get behind a show about a rationalizing, Code 'o Honor serial killer, but veering off into incest is a no-go for me.

AzulVerde

AzulVerde

Channel Surfer

Posted Dec 12, 2011 @ 12:19 AM

That psychiatrist is so bad I'm starting to think/hope we'll find out some deep dark secret about her in the finale like that reporter being The Trinity killer's daughter.

What happened to you, show?

Cerpintaxt815

Cerpintaxt815

Couch Potato

Posted Dec 12, 2011 @ 12:20 AM

And can anyone explain to me why he didn't just shoot Angel in the head instead of setting fire, not to the bed he was in, but to the area around but slightly removed from the bed?

Well if Quinn didn't have to stay there and save a live Batista from the fire, Travis might not have been able to escape.

lovinbob

lovinbob

Fanatic

Posted Dec 12, 2011 @ 12:21 AM

Obviously plenty of problems with this show, but some things that I liked in this episode that reminded me of things from the good seasons. One moment—when Dexter and Louis have that exchange and Dex completely misses that Louis is about to go off the deep end. Could be seen as a big anvil, but I liked it b/c it shows one of Dex's Achilles' heels—missing social cues—that is probably going to fuck everyone up. He sees so many things so far ahead, but he doesn't make the connection when a guy who made a game about serial killers says he's going to start playing a more active role in the world (or whatever it was he says). I'm still hoping it's a red herring, and he's going to join the force or something like that. But it could be a big disaster that Dexter walked away from.

As for Deb and the incest angle, I really don't think that's where the show is going. (Though I do hate that they've gone this far with it to begin with.) I just think Deb wakes up from that horrible dream (after her horrible shrink session, and the developments with Matthews and LaGuerta) and realizes that she needs to make a drastic change in her personal life and choices. That could lead in any number of interesting directions.

The LaGuerta character is such a joke. I just find the writing for so many of the secondary characters so one-dimensional. "This is how the game works." Who the fuck talks like that?

Couch Potato

Posted Dec 12, 2011 @ 12:37 AM

And I agree with the upthread that the therapist is the worst therapist ever.

I hate that through her, the show put it out there. Since when did hero worshiping one's older brother equal sexual feelings? The suggestion was so ridiculous that I wanted Debre to slap the hell out of her before walking out.

The LaGuerta character is such a joke

The worse part of the episode, for me, is that she is now Debs' boss.

Edited by 112288, Dec 12, 2011 @ 12:58 AM.

SDcat2009

SDcat2009

Stalker

Posted Dec 12, 2011 @ 12:55 AM

Well, that was more like it!

MOST Uncomfortable Dinner Scene/Dream EVER. I was more horrified by that than any kill Dex has ever done. EWW.EWW.EWW.EWW. EWWWW.

LaGuerta is one nasty woman.

Dex you must get smarter, my man.

Wapa

Wapa

Channel Surfer

Posted Dec 12, 2011 @ 1:57 AM

The worse part of the episode, for me, is that she is now Debs' boss.

She was already Deb's boss.

The ring of fire lacked any sort of dramatic tension. What, they're going to kill off the main character an episode before the finale? Plus, they already confirmed 2 more seasons of Dexter. If Dexter is dead what are they gonna call the show then?

Tonight's episode was solid but it still had plenty of problems.