3-11: "What Went Wrong" 2011.12.11

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.

163 replies to this topic

TWoP Gadget

TWoP Gadget

Fanatic

Posted Dec 10, 2011 @ 12:14 AM

ALICIA REFUSES TO LET A GUILTY VERDICT STOP HER FROM FIGHTING FOR HER CLIENT’S FREEDOM, ON “THE GOOD WIFE” SUNDAY, DEC. 11
CHEAT TWEET: What happens when the defense & prosecution think “innocent” but the jury says “guilty?” #GoodWife 12/11 9pm ET/PT http://bit.ly/unfsnk

“What Went Wrong” – As Alicia looks for a way to have a judgment thrown out following a shocking guilty verdict, she also begins to feel the consequences of decisions in her personal life, on “THE GOOD WIFE,” Sunday, Dec. 11 (9:00-10:00 PM, ET/PT) on the CBS Television Network.

caitlin claire

caitlin claire

Fanatic

Posted Dec 11, 2011 @ 10:04 PM

I still miss the Kalinda/Alicia drinking scenes, but Alicia/Owen was pretty good, and Alicia/Diane is awesome, so...baby steps. So happy to see K and A willing to work together again!

Wendy Scott Carr - how did Peter not see this coming? I mean really. This isn't going to end well for anyone, I expect.

Also really didn't like seeing Peter making threats to get his kids into private school. And I know Alicia wasn't in on that part of it specifically, but I also didn't get her insistence that the kids just absolutely had to be in school right now instead of next year when they could actually be admitted normally with no fuss. That smacked of a privilege I'm not used to seeing from her.

Does anyone know what that song was at the end of the episode?

Freckles101

Freckles101

Fanatic

• Interests:Television, especially Lost, Heroes, Gossip Girl, Veronica Mars, American Idol, Buffy, HIMYM, Pushing Daisies, Alias, Ugly Betty, Bones, and So You Think You Can Dance. Also, reading, listening to music, and baking.

Posted Dec 11, 2011 @ 10:11 PM

I love this show, but man I wish they would stop making all the "bad guys" so smug. Wendy Scott Carr, Cary, Dana…all of them grate on my nerves sfm. I think Dana might actually be annoying me than Blake, which is saying something. I loved seeing Alicia lay into Cary about getting Kalinda released and am somewhat intrigued by that last scene with Will and WSC, but mostly I just wish those characters would either be toned down or GTFO.

Yay for Owen being in this episode! Poor Alicia really doesn't have any friends, and I always love their scenes. I was also glad to see Alicia warm back up to Kalinda a bit, and hopefully they can get back to being friends sooner rather than later.

Blue32

Blue32

Fanatic

Posted Dec 11, 2011 @ 10:17 PM

Alicia threatening Cary and Cary capitulating was the best part of the episode. His sullen expression when Kalinda was released was delightful. I did like seeing Owen again, although I kind of wish he had more to do than act as Alicia's unpaid therapist/life coach. (He is right that she needs more friends, though. Isn't that what we've all been saying?)

I desperately wanted to see Kalinda and Alicia reconcile during that scene in the car. Can't those two crazy kids work it out?

Also really didn't like seeing Peter making threats to get his kids into private school. And I know Alicia wasn't in on that part of it specifically, but I also didn't get her insistence that the kids just absolutely had to be in school right now instead of next year when they could actually be admitted normally with no fuss. That smacked of a privilege I'm not used to seeing from her.

I saw this episode as Alicia getting used to getting her way/throwing her weight around: strongarming Cary into letting Kalinda go, laying down the law with Grace's friend, hauling in Peter as "the big guns" to secure her children's spots at the school, etc. The fact that she was joined for a drink at the end of the episode not by a friend (Kalinda) or a relative (Owen), but by her boss, was telling. It's not so much about an unknowing expression of privilege as a display of power. She's requesting that they be admitted now because she can.

On another note, Alicia looked seriously perturbed when Diane was telling her about her own experience about not getting proper credit due to being linked to a "powerful man." I wonder if she was wondering whether Diane knows about Will/Alicia and was subtly warning her off. Probably not, but it's an interesting thought.

Edited by Blue32, Dec 11, 2011 @ 10:27 PM.

Sony

Sony

Couch Potato

Posted Dec 11, 2011 @ 10:32 PM

Is anyone else noticing Archie Panjabi keeps defaulting to her native British accent in this ep? I noticed that in the first scene, and I just thought the editor didn't notice the blunder, but she keeps losing her American accent throughout the whole ep. She's never done that before that it was ever obvious, I guess she was having a really off day, it happens.

Invader Toph

Invader Toph

Video Archivist

Posted Dec 11, 2011 @ 10:46 PM

Is anyone else noticing Archie Panjabi keeps defaulting to her native British accent in this ep? I noticed that in the first scene, and I just thought the editor didn't notice the blunder, but she keeps losing her American accent throughout the whole ep. She's never done that before that it was ever obvious, I guess she was having a really off day, it happens.

She's been doing that the past couple of episodes actually. This season it's been really noticeable.

I liked tonight's episode. Is it weird that I was more interested in Alicia/Kalinda that Alicia/Will? I almost squeed when they talked in the car. I was hoping for a hug or something. But I know that will never happen. It was nice seeing Owen again too. I just wish that he could be around more often with his adorable boyfriend. And how creepy was that scene with Peter and the Headmistress. I was pretty sure that he was about to choke a bitch.

And I am not fully convinced that WSC is a cylon. My God that woman is creepy.

merylinkid

merylinkid

Fanatic

Posted Dec 11, 2011 @ 10:49 PM

No, Dana, a judge favoring the defense does not mean he was bribed. Nor is it harassment to question the jurors. Just because you don't get your own way does not mean you get to use the power of your office against others. And that means you too Peter. So much for a clean office. Using office resources to run personal background checks is a no- no.

I can see Alicia wanting to see her kids back in their old private school now. Grace clearly needs the structure and discipline of the school. Plus, she went there before so maybe she has friends from there. I love Peter and Alicia acting like parents and being on the same page. No petty fighting because of their own issues with each other.

Alicia on partnership track? AWESOME. And for her hard work, not because of her husband or her relationship with Will? Double AWESOME.

Now we have to get her some friends. Not just Kalinda either. Although it was nice for Alicia to acknowledge that Kalinda did not have to find Grace, but she did. A truly sincere thank you.

WSC is the dumbest special prosecutor ever. You don't tell the alleged focus of your investigation you are after him. Nor do you go to his co-workers and friends and ask them to tell all. Guess what? They don't have to talk to you. And then she tells Will the real focus of her investigation? He is never going to hurt Alicia which is what another investigation of Peter will do. Finally someone told her to get stuffed and lawyered up. He should have done that ages ago.

loveone

loveone

Channel Surfer

Posted Dec 11, 2011 @ 10:51 PM

I think she does the American accent well but it's been said in interviews that she was told by the show that her accent was "too strong" and to take it down a few notches to add to the mystery of Kalinda. So who knows maybe they told her to relax it even more.

This was a good episode, I thought for sure Kalinda and Alicia would make up for good but I guess this episode is a start to them communicating more.

OptimisticCynic

OptimisticCynic

Stalker

Posted Dec 11, 2011 @ 10:52 PM

I really hope the show brings back up the fact that Wendy Scott Carr during her election bid willingly leaked a deposition to the press. They are great on other areas of continuity, but if they refuse to mention or have the other characters like Will or Diane mention it- well I will be very disappointed. I know Kate Burton's character took most of the blame for it, but I honestly believe WSC knew about it too. Either way there is enough evidence for them to make a case against her for it or use it as some type of leverage.

exzim

exzim

Couch Potato

Posted Dec 11, 2011 @ 10:53 PM

Loved Peter telling the school marm exactly where the power lay. Cook County realism !

Can't Owen die quietly somewhere, or messily would be better. Most useless character on television.

Alicia finally grew a pair, metaphorically at least

Why doesn't Will call Peter, explain what WSC told him and stop her big time.

Edited by exzim, Dec 11, 2011 @ 10:54 PM.

ses198

ses198

Just Tuned In

Posted Dec 11, 2011 @ 10:54 PM

Re: Kalinda and Alicia's car conversation...

I don't think I've ever seen Kalinda look so uncomfortable. It was an interesting touch to the whole scene.

calidub

calidub

Fanatic

Posted Dec 11, 2011 @ 10:56 PM

Dana is seriously THE. WORST. I actually found myself yelling at her through my TV screen tonight. I don't know if it's the character or the actress or both, but she's insufferable. She makes me long for Blake.

He is never going to hurt Alicia which is what another investigation of Peter will do. Finally someone told her to get stuffed and lawyered up. He should have done that ages ago.

I loved Josh Charles in that entire scene. And as much as Will would love to take Peter down, he'd never hurt Alicia.

Considering Alicia didn't have enough time to handle a "relationship" with Will because of how it apparently took her away from her family, I'm confused about her interest in the partner track. Don't get me wrong, it'd be AWESOME and I totally love her and Diane forming a bond. But I just don't understand how preparing to be a partner wouldn't take up even more of her time?

cwaldo

cwaldo

Fanatic

Posted Dec 11, 2011 @ 10:56 PM

God, what a monster Wendy Scott-Carr is. I just hope someone is able to wipe that smug smile off her face. She's just as dirty as anything Peter ever did. She was the one who leaked that deposition to the public after all to throw dirt on Peter and Childs. And the most horrible thing about her is that she thinks that she isn't.

Poor Will. Get Elsbeth and her fairy dust magic to help you ASAP!

Somehow, I don't think a friendship between Alicia and Diane will be as open as with Kalinda and Alicia. Come on, show! We've waited long enough. If Alicia is able to be friendly to Peter again, make her friends with Kalinda.

violet1024

violet1024

Channel Surfer

Posted Dec 11, 2011 @ 10:59 PM

Why did Will say Alicia has no reason to thank him? I was confused by this.

MooshyMooshy

MooshyMooshy

Couch Potato

Posted Dec 11, 2011 @ 11:02 PM

Much better use of the case to bring out character. Not all attractive, to be sure, but very integrated. First of all, WSC. If the purpose is to make her as slap-able as possible, it's working. Dana is also in the running (and I am a woman against violence, I just can't stand these two!).

I usually love Cary but his behavior was gross. I still think it's the show being ok with sacrificing his character to bring about a cessation of hostilities between Alicia and Kalinda (yay!) but still, he's shown a conscience in the past so why engage in this low level thuggery?

So Alicia can't be alone for one night? I like how Owen brings out her human side. And immediately calling Peter when her kids didn't get into their school - ONE semester before they could do so properly?

Poor Woody. I'd hate being a judge too with all this crap going on.

The episode should have been called "Thank you" for all the times a character used the phrase (just to be deflected by the other party).

Rozen

Rozen

Loyal Viewer

Posted Dec 11, 2011 @ 11:05 PM

Considering Alicia didn't have enough time to handle a "relationship" with Will because of how it apparently took her away from her family, I'm confused about her interest in the partner track.

I think the lying, sneaking around with her boss, and hiding it from everyone else in her life, was what was bothering Alicia, not just the time sink. I'm glad to see she's furthering her career and not martyring herself for her children when they don't need her too.

I'm holding onto hope that WSC is intentionally shaking her rattler in the grass just to spook everyone and already has all the evidence she wants. Otherwise she is legit dumb. Will should make Alicia one of his representatives, and then she can warn Peter and be protected by attorney-client and spousal privilege.

voiceover

voiceover

Fanatic

Posted Dec 11, 2011 @ 11:11 PM

Since I'm not clear why the headmistress pulled the bitch-switch!call, I'm fine with Peter doing the "Don't fuck with me, I fuck back" visit.

Bunny LaJoya

Bunny LaJoya

Fanatic

I actually love Wendy Scott Carr. I think the actor is so incredible. She's so powerful, and I think she's beautiful too. That scary death walk in the basketball court, she was like the Wicked Witch of the West.

I love all the comparisons between the most hated characters. For me, I think Dana is still preferable to Tammy and Blake. Blake's the worst, then Tammy, then Dana, then Cuddy. I think.

Considering Alicia didn't have enough time to handle a "relationship" with Will because of how it apparently took her away from her family, I'm confused about her interest in the partner track. Don't get me wrong, it'd be AWESOME and I totally love her and Diane forming a bond. But I just don't understand how preparing to be a partner wouldn't take up even more of her time?

It's really hard for me to make sense of what Alicia wants, too. All of her problems would be solved if she jumped ship and went to MJFox's practice, but I guess she hates their ethics even more than LG's.

Isn't Romany Malco so adorable? Squee.

Edited by Bunny LaJoya, Dec 11, 2011 @ 11:13 PM.

catwoman747

catwoman747

Channel Surfer

So did the judge friend button girl juror to get the case dismissed? He clearly stated it was an unjust verdict.

stealinghome

stealinghome

Stalker

Posted Dec 11, 2011 @ 11:15 PM

Okay, that might have been the best episode of the season. It felt like vintage S1. It was just so effing awesome.

-KALINDA/ALICIA. ALICIA/KALINDA. A THAW ON THAT FRONT. OH, MY HEART. MY HEART. I WANT TO REPLAY THE SCENE WHERE ALICIA SNARLS AT CARY TO GIVE HER KALINDA 5 MILLION TIMES. AND THEN THEIR AWKWARD CONVO IN THE CAR? AWESOME. THEIR EPIC LOVE IS JUST SO EPIC. (And I like that we got confirmation that their work has also declined while they've been in a freeze. And that the show made the friendship point without being too obvious.) It was past time that the show got moving on this front--the front half of this season has suffered without them--and man, I swear, the old magic kicked in when they were in the car and then when Alicia haltingly said she'd help Kalinda.
-I love that WSC is showing her true colors. You knew it was coming, but to have her be so chilling about it? Oh my. (I'm calling it right now: SHE'S going to get taken down for intimidation, etc. Possibly also the leaked briefing.) The question now is how much of her actions Peter anticipated (I'm guessing a fair bit) and is he hoping to take her down through the assignment, and if so how.
-I'm curious to see where Diane's overtures of friendship toward Alicia are going. Obviously she wants to keep Alicia away from Will, so that's part of it, but make no mistake, there was a threat in her words, too--"either you rise or you fall, and you need my help to rise right now." I'm curious to see how that all develops.
-The Alicia/Owen conversation gave us some badly needed insight into Alicia's head and emotional space right now. Gold star, writers.
-Love that the writers remembered that Peter is an incredibly gray character. I love how they're negotiating his relationship to Alicia and the kids, and to others through Alicia and the kids. God, in retrospect, you can tell that the show really missed CN in S2.
-Dana was a whiny bitch tonight that bugged to no end. Really? Going to WSC? REALLY? I can't wait to see her face when she finds out that WSC is playing the SA's office. Loved the way Kalinda smacked her down in the end, and I really love that there was no forced triangle action tonight.

I also didn't get her insistence that the kids just absolutely had to be in school right now instead of next year when they could actually be admitted normally with no fuss. That smacked of a privilege I'm not used to seeing from her.

I'm assuming it's another overreaction to Grace going missing. I figure she figures it's much easier to keep tabs on the kids at a private school. Though I also agree that it's interesting to see Alicia throw her weight around, because unless I am much mistaken, she's getting a taste for being an alpha.

I desperately wanted to see Kalinda and Alicia reconcile during that scene in the car. Can't those two crazy kids work it out?

I think it's coming. They're both too proud to let it all happen at once, though.

I love Peter and Alicia acting like parents and being on the same page. No petty fighting because of their own issues with each other.

Yeah, I've been hard on this show this season, but I give them an A+ for how they've handled the Alicia-Peter relationship, especially as it regards the kids.

Can't Owen die quietly somewhere, or messily would be better. Most useless character on television.

Really? I thought he was used perfectly tonight, probably the best the show has ever used him. I think he probably shouldn't ever exceed 10 minutes/episode, but used correctly, as tonight, he can really be a great insight into Alicia's psyche. Because she tells him things she probably wouldn't tell Kalinda.

Why doesn't Will call Peter, explain what WSC told him and stop her big time.

I wonder if Will is hoping WSC can take down Peter on her own. Or if they've even already quietly teamed up.

He is never going to hurt Alicia which is what another investigation of Peter will do. Finally someone told her to get stuffed and lawyered up. He should have done that ages ago.

I loved Josh Charles in that entire scene. And as much as Will would love to take Peter down, he'd never hurt Alicia.

Would another investigation of Peter really hurt Alicia all that much? It's an honest question. It seems to me that most of the stuff that COULD hurt Alicia WSC doesn't know (I'm thinking primarily of the information Peter gave Alicia way back in S1 that Cary tried to use in S2). And Cary seems clearly not to be on WSC's side anymore.

And the most horrible thing about her is that she thinks that she isn't.

Oh, I don't know. I think she's quite aware that she's down and dirty.

It's episodes like this that make me believe the writers still have it. I just wish they could channel it more consistently.

calidub

calidub

Fanatic

Posted Dec 11, 2011 @ 11:15 PM

I think the lying, sneaking around with her boss, and hiding it from everyone else in her life, was what was bothering Alicia, not just the time sink.

I agree, the lying/boss thing was her biggest issue as she told Owen tonight. But I think last week showed us that she was also feeling guilty about not being around for her kids. Or, feeling like she wasn't as involved with them as she should be. Personally, I think it's all a bit silly considering they're teenagers and not toddlers. I'm all about Alicia on the partner track, I just think the timing was a little odd considering last week's episode and the concerns with her kids.

Would another investigation of Peter really hurt Alicia all that much? It's an honest question. It seems to me that most of the stuff that COULD hurt Alicia WSC doesn't know.

But if Will made a deal with WSC and was involved in the investigation into Peter? That would absolutely hurt Alicia.

Edited by calidub, Dec 11, 2011 @ 11:22 PM.

PoeticJustice32

PoeticJustice32

Fanatic

Posted Dec 11, 2011 @ 11:17 PM

Its a little lonely at the Wendy Scott Carr fan club table I see. She's so deliciously evil. I admit I didn't see that little twist of her actually going after Peter, but I totally buy it. I buy it more so than her going after Will actually. Didn't care for that last part of Will just dropping the basketball and walking away. I guess we were supposed to gather that Will is too noble and a bigger man than Peter for not stooping to that level and helping Wendy, and that's fine. But the way he dropped the basketball smelled of smug and we already know Will is not above all this stuff. He gets down in the gutter with the rest of them.

Loved loved loved Alicia and Kalinda's scenes. I appreciate that the writers are taking their time bringing them back together. The pacing is perfect given the reason why they fell apart to begin with. Its going to take time to build that trust and understanding (from both sides).

Somehow, I don't think a friendship between Alicia and Diane will be as open as with Kalinda and Alicia.

That whole thing seemed so fake to me. Why is Diane all of a sudden talking about "partner track" to Alicia? Isn't she only a second year? I don't know how it works in lawyerdom but that seems awfully fast to me. Then again, Cary skyrocketed to a pretty big position in the SA's office too. The timing of it just makes it all suspect. Right after Will dumps Alicia (as far as Diane is concerned) now Diane wants to take an active role in mentoring and befriending Alicia? Eh. It seems to me like Diane wants to distract Alicia with this partner stuff so that she'll stay away from Will. I think Diane thinks there is still something going on since Alicia was being awfully vague about her whereabouts earlier in the episode.

Edited by PoeticJustice32, Dec 11, 2011 @ 11:21 PM.

name234

name234

Fanatic

Posted Dec 11, 2011 @ 11:18 PM

His sullen expression when Kalinda was released was delightful.

This was one of Matt's best bits of acting all season. I kind of needed Alicia going mother bear on Cary for Kalinda, quadruple bonus points for calling out the SA's office out on previous incidents of playing the shell game and this being part of the pattern.

I think today's Kalinda Alicia scene was part of the long road back. I think Kalinda's (I am paraphrasing) "I'm still me..." kind of said it all. Alicia has to realize that Kalinda wasn't going to let Grace go unfound, wasn't going to let Alicia go on wondering if the worst had happened to her daughter. Also, I hope Alicia comes to realize, that Kalinda has a decent streak, that she, at least with regard to Alicia is her better self, that she regrets what happened with Peter and that her friendship with Alicia was genuine.

I think Alicia's bitch face when dealing with Kalinda is about to start a good steady fade out.

I think the sparing use of Will in this episode worked well. That he (of course) refused to cut a deal with WSC means that Will is in there. Its funny I associate that basketball court with other people trying to get Will to back off defending someone, or to "just play ball" pun intended - and each time, he gets the "I know who I am and why I do this, and I will fight you" look in his eye.

ETA:

I really hope the show brings back up the fact that Wendy Scott Carr during her election bid willingly leaked a deposition to the press.

I think Will recalls this bit of deeply problematic legal conduct, and can't wait to get "she who is on her holier than thou ethical high horse" taken down several pegs.

Diane extending a hand of friendship to Alicia, I want to see this play out. Alicia being on the Partner track means we have at least 4 more seasons, with Alicia growing into increased responsibility, deeper interactions at the firm. I hope Diane realizes that if LG doesn't work with Alicia to get her to partner, other firms will at least consider giving her a chance.

It was interesting to see Peter and Alicia revert to their old selves from the prior life in the posh hood to get their kids into the school of their choice. I think they know the social game of privilege begins with what college you get into, and the odds of that are helped by the private school your parents can get you into. It was interesting to see the idea of money, power and privilege surface like this.

Edited by name234, Dec 11, 2011 @ 11:22 PM.

stealinghome

stealinghome

Stalker

Posted Dec 11, 2011 @ 11:31 PM

I just think the timing was a little odd considering last week's episode and the concerns with her kids.

Actually, I can see how Alicia could easily make the division in her psyche. I can imagine Alicia thinking that being around less because of work is okay, but that it's a no-no if it's her own private matters taking her away. It's not true, of course--and plus, teenagers always want their parents around as little as possible!--but I find it believable, especially for Alicia.

Besides, what Diane was really saying was "you need to not be having an illicit affair with Will." I kind of took that to be the subtext of "no one expects you to not have a family...BUT there are other distractions" line.

I think Kalinda's (I am paraphrasing) "I'm still me..." kind of said it all.

That part made my heart hurt, though, because Kalinda has changed. She punted Sophia out of bed the moment she was reminded Sophia was married. Not that Alicia could know, of course. But the resigned, somewhat pained tone of her voice made me feel bad because it's like she thinks she can't change. But she can. And has. (ETA, to clarify: I know that Kalinda meant it in terms of "I haven't changed, I'm still your friend, I still watch out for you." But I thought the comment worked on several different levels, not all conscious.)

But if Will made a deal with WSC and was involved in the investigation into Peter? That would absolutely hurt Alicia.

Do we mean hurt Alicia emotionally, or just hurt her through her association with Peter if the investigation finds anything? Because I agree with those two things, to an extent, but I'm having a hard time envisioning how WSC could DIRECTLY bring the hammer down on Alicia. The only thing that springs to mind is when Peter told her, during their spousal night, the info she needed for the case.

I think the sparing use of Will in this episode worked well.

Cheers to that. Too much of this season has felt like the Will Gardner show, and it hasn't helped.

Edited by stealinghome, Dec 11, 2011 @ 11:33 PM.

pinetree

pinetree

Loyal Viewer

Posted Dec 11, 2011 @ 11:34 PM

On another note, Alicia looked seriously perturbed when Diane was telling her about her own experience about not getting proper credit due to being linked to a "powerful man." I wonder if she was wondering whether Diane knows about Will/Alicia and was subtly warning her off. Probably not, but it's an interesting thought.

I thought it was purposely vague on Diane's part. She could be meaning Peter or Will's influence. We know Alicia was hired because of a favor from Will, and ultimately beat out Cary because of her husband's relationship with Eli Gold. But Diane is only interested in moving Alicia away from Will's shadow, because Alicia's way to making partner is using her connections as the wife of the state's attorney.

MrWhyt

MrWhyt

Fanatic

Posted Dec 11, 2011 @ 11:39 PM

So did the judge friend button girl juror to get the case dismissed? He clearly stated it was an unjust verdict.

He friended her before the verdict came in, that's why they were able to get a mistrial.

CozyKat

CozyKat

Couch Potato

Posted Dec 11, 2011 @ 11:39 PM

Why did Will say Alicia has no reason to thank him? I was confused by this.

He was reassuring her that they could go back to being calm, cool and professional and that she didn't owe him gratitude for agreeing to those terms - that she should be completely at ease. Or so I interpreted it. Alicia didn't seem sure that she'd worked out his meaning entirely, either; ironically, it did NOT set her completely at ease. I liked the echo of that conversation in the car with Kalinda and Alicia - the sorting-out of what qualifies as "above and beyond" vs. just decent behavior.

So, the gist of Peter's final conversation with the headmistress was "The teachers here are an ethical mess and I *demand* that you allow my children to be taught by them!" (I oversimplify, of course, but it still seemed a bit unintentionally funny.)

And now I have to go update my button blog.

angelita100

angelita100

Fanatic

Posted Dec 11, 2011 @ 11:42 PM

I feel that the show has had a few Willcentric episodes but not that many. We have barely seen the man in court and I really miss that. Eli and his PR firm and story and wife and story and daughter and story on top of the fact that Kalinda has been relegated to second class status and we see far more of the S.A. office is what has made the show different. The last couple of weeks they seem to have rebounded on the balance. Now I wish we can have real conversations and not have the audience guess so much as to what is going on and the show will be more enjoyable. I feel it will get there. Last year started off boring to me and it got better as the season wore on.

Edited by angelita100, Dec 11, 2011 @ 11:44 PM.

name234

name234

Fanatic

Posted Dec 11, 2011 @ 11:51 PM

I think the sparing use of Will in this episode worked well.

Cheers to that. Too much of this season has felt like the Will Gardner show, and it hasn't helped.

I should be clear, I don't think they have over used Will this season, he's part of the Alicia -Will Story line he's going to show up and show up a lot, for that reason alone. Also, in the build up to this investigation, they had to start giving us a bigger chunks of backstory through devices like Celeste.

In this episode, I think the use of him at the start and at the end gave both scenes more punch. I was left wondering for the rest of the episode how was it going to play out at the office (Alicia and Will's next interaction) so there was a bit of underlying dramatic tension. Part of the pay off in the final scene is that Will and Alicia are over, but Will's entanglement in her life, isn't. Anything that effects Peter and potentially drags him in the path of scandal will effect Alicia - Will still loves her, hasn't flipped an off switch. He also knows that Alicia doesn't know about the investigation into him, and definitely not Peter. He also knows that WSC has played dirty pool to get ahead herself, and he also knows that even if the target is Peter, WSC won't hesitate to use what she has by making sure its part of an official legal record that can still land him in trouble.

Edited by name234, Dec 11, 2011 @ 11:52 PM.

pennben

pennben

Fanatic

Posted Dec 11, 2011 @ 11:52 PM

This episode was fantastic.

I thought this episode should have been titled "Power Play"; there were so many taking place that I forgot who was in the penalty box for each play....just extraordinary.

I love that this show lands on various shades of grey, and I love that they don't leave the main character out....she may not have known Peter's methods for the school (or she could have) but she was going to use that influence that she knew he had (and which she had probably called upon in the past) to make sure she got what she wanted.

As for Alicia/Kalinda/Diane....there is an old saying that one should be careful whose toes you step on today, they might be attached to the ass you have to kiss tomorrow. That is what this reminded me of....Alecia "traded up" friends, from Kalinda to Diane. Also, I wonder whether Kalinda's grin when Alicia said they would work together meant that she was happy they could be friends again, or she was happy that she had Alicia back in her pocket (because of course Alicia would find out the Grace situation); or both.

Those were the power plays that intrigued me most.

Also, as for facebooking and tweeting by juries, a conviction was just overturned last week by a juror tweeting during trial, so well played show. Tweet link (may be subscription only); sorry

One of the best episodes of the season.

I went from thinking a theme song would be "Reunited" ...and it feels so good from Peaches & Herb to thinking that it should be "Who's Zooming Who" from Aretha Franklin.

Edited by pennben, Dec 11, 2011 @ 11:57 PM.