Napoleon Dynamite

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.

65 replies to this topic

Trini Girl

Trini Girl

Stalker

• Interests:http://www.biblegateway.com/

Posted Dec 9, 2011 @ 1:49 AM

Based on the hit film, NAPOLEON DYNAMITE is an animated series that follows the continuing adventures of America's most awesome awkward teenager and his quirky family and friends as they struggle to navigate small-town life in rural Idaho.

The original cast from the film - Jon Heder, Aaron Ruell, Efren Ramirez, Tina Majorino, Sandy Martin, Jon Gries and Diedrich Bader - will voice their characters in the series, and many new characters will be added along the way.

NAPOLEON DYNAMITE (Heder) is a 16-year-old boy convinced - for no apparent reason - that he is destined for greatness and blessed with unlimited "sweet abilities." He spends his days practicing ninja moves, drawing ligers, soul dancing and bragging about his "girlfriend in Oklahoma" whom nobody has ever seen. Napoleon's brother, KIP (Ruell), is an unemployed 32-year-old who lives at home and believes he would be an amazing catch for any girl who would respond to his online come-ons. The Dynamite brothers live with GRANDMA (Martin), a crusty woman who can often be found four-wheeling with her lady friends at the local sand dunes.

Napoleon's allies include PEDRO (Ramirez), his unflappable best friend who has recently been elected class president; and DEB (Majorino), an incredibly sweet girl who sees the good in Napoleon and dreams of someday being his wife. Napoleon's UNCLE RICO (Gries) lives out of an orange custom van, where he obsesses over his botched high school football career and dreams up ways to become rich and famous. Then there's REX KWON DO (Bader), a self-proclaimed martial-arts master who runs the local dojo.

Guest voices in the debut season include Jennifer Coolidge ("American Pie," "Legally Blonde"), Sam Rockwell ("Choke") and Jemaine Clement ("Flight of the Conchords").

NAPOLEON DYNAMITE is a 20th Century Fox Television production. The series is created and executive-produced by Jared Hess and Jerusha Hess ("Napoleon Dynamite," "Nacho Libre"), along with Emmy Award-winning writer/producer Mike Scully (THE SIMPSONS, "Everybody Loves Raymond," "Parks & Recreation"). The animation house is Rough Draft Studios ("Futurama," "The Simpsons Movie").

SEASON PREMIERE SUN 8:30/7:30c JAN 15

http://www.fox.com/napoleon-dynamite

Kinda late to jump on the bandwagon with this, no?

Edited by TWoP Howard, Dec 10, 2011 @ 12:55 PM.
Formatting

Batman Beatles

Batman Beatles

Fanatic

Posted Dec 9, 2011 @ 3:22 PM

No kidding. That movie got old months after it came out.

Submarine

Submarine

Video Archivist

Posted Dec 9, 2011 @ 9:04 PM

Kinda late to jump on the bandwagon with this, no?

Blasphemy! Napoleon Dynamite is the most EPIC film of all time!!! Kneel before its awesome!!!

In all seriousness, I think Napoleon Dynamite might still have enough cult following to generate a decent audience. That and the fact it is based on a successful movie should ascertain that Napoleon Dynamite will be a staple on Fox for at least a second season.

[snip]

Edited by TWoP Howard, Dec 10, 2011 @ 12:54 PM.
Boards on boards

Chrysaor

Chrysaor

Fanatic

Posted Dec 10, 2011 @ 2:02 AM

[snip] The trailers for the animated series kind of remind me of King Of The Hill, so even though I think the movie is a piece of shit I might give this a try.

Edited by TWoP Howard, Dec 10, 2011 @ 12:59 PM.
Boards on boards

Jon N

Jon N

Fanatic

• Interests:Sleeping<br />Painting (too bad don't have the time)<br />Fashion

Posted Dec 11, 2011 @ 12:43 AM

The animation is such a turn off for me, kind of like King of the Hill, that's why I'm going to pass up on this, at least Allen Gregory had tolerable animation.

Bob Hartley

Bob Hartley

Channel Surfer

Posted Dec 12, 2011 @ 12:48 PM

I actually liked the movie Napoleon Dynamite.

This cartoon version of the movie sounds like it is going to be the biggest, greasiest, underwear-staining, steaming pile of crap since Alan Gregary.

Trini Girl

Trini Girl

Stalker

Posted Dec 12, 2011 @ 2:29 PM

I like the movie too; I'm just not sure if it will translate into something that people will want to watch every week.

One thing they've got going for it is that the producers/writers from the movie are involved.

ganesh

ganesh

Stalker

Posted Dec 13, 2011 @ 12:55 AM

I'm wondering about the timing of this too. I thought the movie was pretty good back when I saw it. But I'm having difficulty seeing how this translates to animation. Much of the movie was physical; how the actors moved or stood, and I think you can't move that into animation. There's no way the final dance sequence would have worked in animation. One of the (many reasons) AG didn't work was because the character with the majority of the dialogue was using his normal speaking voice. I just think voice-acting is different. Live action characters as animation is funny for a one off (like Eureka just did), but I don't know about week to week.

I'll check the show out, but it's really puzzling why Fox picked this up, especially after AG failing so hard. As a ten-minute short on AS, I could see (like ATHF is) because you can do wacky and kind of just chew the scenery. But it looks like they are playing it straight, and I don't know how that is going to hold up for 20+ minutes 5 or 6 weeks in a row.

braggtastic

braggtastic

Stalker

Posted Dec 13, 2011 @ 11:31 AM

The original cast from the film - Jon Heder, Aaron Ruell, Efren Ramirez, Tina Majorino, Sandy Martin, Jon Gries and Diedrich Bader

Why do I have a feeling that if any of these actors had taken off in popularity, specifically if Jon Heder had done more successful films - this would not be happening. I know Tina has been on Big Love & I just saw Bader on an episode of Psych, but no one has had their careers take off like Ellen Page in Juno, for example.

Batman Beatles

Batman Beatles

Fanatic

Posted Dec 13, 2011 @ 2:15 PM

Why do I have a feeling that if any of these actors had taken off in popularity, specifically if Jon Heder had done more successful films - this would not be happening.

This must benefit the director too, since they haven't had a hit since Napoleon Dynamite.

olvidado

olvidado

Fanatic

• Interests:Fave shows: The Wire, Treme, Burn Notice, Covert Affairs, Suits, House of Lies, Bleach, Soul Eater, Space Dandy, FLCL
    Fave music: Soul, R & B, Rock 'n Roll (punk to prog), J-Rock

Fave sports teams: San Francisco Giants/49ers; Oakland Raiders; Houston Texans; Mercedes Benz AMG Petronas F1

and...

Cats, electric guitars, songwriting, photography, my girlfriend and her daughter.

Posted Dec 13, 2011 @ 3:00 PM

I like the movie too; I'm just not sure if it will translate into something that people will want to watch every week.
One thing they've got going for it is that the producers/writers from the movie are involved.

I'll check the show out, but it's really puzzling why Fox picked this up, especially after AG failing so hard. As a ten-minute short on AS, I could see (like ATHF is) because you can do wacky and kind of just chew the scenery. But it looks like they are playing it straight, and I don't know how that is going to hold up for 20+ minutes 5 or 6 weeks in a row.

The movie was funny, and Fox picking it up makes sense. ND (the movie) was a Fox Searchlight production. Are the writers going to push any boundaries here, or is it just going to be an animated Jon Heder, complete with gaping mouth and VOTE FOR PEDRO t shirt, with weekly variations on explaining the Liger or refusing to give Randy his tater tots?

olvidado

olvidado

Fanatic

• Interests:Fave shows: The Wire, Treme, Burn Notice, Covert Affairs, Suits, House of Lies, Bleach, Soul Eater, Space Dandy, FLCL
    Fave music: Soul, R & B, Rock 'n Roll (punk to prog), J-Rock

Fave sports teams: San Francisco Giants/49ers; Oakland Raiders; Houston Texans; Mercedes Benz AMG Petronas F1

and...

Cats, electric guitars, songwriting, photography, my girlfriend and her daughter.

Posted Dec 22, 2011 @ 8:14 PM

Just saw a commercial...looks pretty lame.

Fuzubanu

Fuzubanu

Couch Potato

Posted Dec 26, 2011 @ 9:12 PM

Never liked the movie, and the commercials aren't doing this new animated series any favors. It does bother me that this show has already received more promotion than King of the Hill received during its entire run.

Trini Girl

Trini Girl

Stalker

Posted Jan 9, 2012 @ 12:11 AM

No news, really, but a short article about the show's TCA panel this weekend.

TheHappyEmo

TheHappyEmo

Loyal Viewer

• Interests:I am dying from a terminal illness and just trying to fill the hours before I finally die. The promise of adulthood, of life beyond high school just sort of fizzled out. Life doesn't end with a bang, just a weak whimper, that being said, I'm pretty sure nobody gives a fuck about what I have to say.<br />Whatever.<br />Being on the board is a bad habit I need to break, some of you are way too invested in tv shows and overthink them. As a medium television is getting worse and worse and caters to the lowest common demoninator, Idiocracy is coming true faster and faster.

Posted Jan 14, 2012 @ 7:05 PM

The only thing I liked from the movie was the Jamiroquai song, I had forgotten about them and didn't know they were still making music.
Dancing was pretty good for an average guy as well.
It was quirky for the sake of being quirky but not actually that funny.

ganesh

ganesh

Stalker

Posted Jan 15, 2012 @ 7:10 PM

There's two episodes of this on tonight? Now I'm just not going to watch it until later in the week on principle. We couldn't have another American Dad episode instead?

Trini Girl

Trini Girl

Stalker

Posted Jan 15, 2012 @ 9:01 PM

There's two episodes of this on tonight?

Apparently; I didn't realize until tonight.

InvaderNorbert

InvaderNorbert

Fanatic

Posted Jan 15, 2012 @ 10:11 PM

I'll admit that I actually liked the movie. So when watching these episodes, I felt like they kept the exact same tone that the movie did even with some cartoony elements, which was a plus for me. I also happen to share the sentiment that this show was the King of The Hill ripoff that no one asked for. If you weren't fond of the movie, this show probably won't interest you. I was quite wary to see Mike Scully's name attached to this (a good writer like on the Simpsons & Parks and Rec, but I don't like how he ran the Simpsons), but I thought that his goofy style meshed with the show's tone rather well.

I like how Grandma, Uncle Rico, and Rex Kwon Do have bigger parts in the show.

Episode 1: Napoleon is filled with rage. And lust to become, well, a cage fighter thanks to acne cream. And Kip is one, too. We have achieved Full Circle, folks. I'm pretty sure that was Amy Poehler as Misty. Kip is still lame enough that he WOULD take a girlfriend to a Showbiz Pizza-esque restaurant and get a CD from the "band." The band being real at the end was a great twist.

Episode 2: A plot where a machine assigns everyone to their true loves, but of course it isn't accurate. Loved Napoleon imagining his love to be playing volleyball on the moon with aliens, and Pedro imaging himself as president. Kip continues to be awesomely lame, I just loved his "Kip Create" getup. It was inevitable that having him perform in a trucker stop would a terrible idea.

I'll be the first to say this: It's not bad.

Edited by InvaderNorbert, Jan 17, 2012 @ 2:35 PM.

vexer6

vexer6

Video Archivist

Posted Jan 15, 2012 @ 11:49 PM

I didn't like the film much either, but I was surprised at how decent this show was(though the virtual pet reference was a bit odd, didn't those die out in the 90s?)it expands upon the characters and somehow made them interesting and likeable then they were in the film, at the very least, i'd say it's a big improvement over Allen Gregory(which has some of the ugliest animation i've ever seen) and Bob's Burgers(which is IMO the single most painfully unfunny show i've ever had the displeasure of wathcing, I hope that show gets cancelled ASAP) I wouldn't mind having this show stick around for awhile.

CheekyLilDevil

CheekyLilDevil

Video Archivist

Posted Jan 16, 2012 @ 12:04 AM

Ditto vexer6. I wouldn't mind this show sticking around so long as it means Allen Gregory will never, ever return to my television again. Ever.

I thought it was decent. I'm still waiting for Bob's Burgers to come back, but this wasn't bad.

Paron Xanthis

Paron Xanthis

Loyal Viewer

Posted Jan 16, 2012 @ 12:34 AM

Thanks to football running an hour late in my local time, I only caught the first episode and the Simpsons episode on my DVR. I'll have to watch FG and the second episode of this on Hulu or FOX.com tomorrow.

I did like the first episode, though, even though it started slow. I think the show's got potential, but I'm gonna have to wait and see for sure.

IBM62

IBM62

Couch Potato

Posted Jan 16, 2012 @ 10:47 AM

I thought this was pretty good, actually. Maybe not as good as Bob's Burgers, but certainly miles better than Allen Gregory. I prefered the first episode, but both were pretty funny. Highlights for me were Napoleon recounting times when Kip has stolen from him (Baby Napoleon was hilarious for some reason) and Kip's "Address Song." I will definitely check out this show some more in the future.

WileyCoyote

WileyCoyote

Fanatic

Posted Jan 16, 2012 @ 12:48 PM

Another who disliked the movie, but kind of liked these episodes.

reggiejax

reggiejax

Fanatic

Posted Jan 16, 2012 @ 5:03 PM

I loved the movie, but wasn't too sure about how well it would translate to animation. Not to mention that the sell-by date for an animated Napolean Dynamite was years ago.

But I have to admit I loved it. The first new comedy in ages I have enjoyed without any reservation. I don't know if this show will make it, but I will be watching.

Edited by reggiejax, Jan 16, 2012 @ 9:24 PM.

Philyra

Philyra

Fanatic

Posted Jan 17, 2012 @ 12:38 AM

I saw the movie and wasn't that big of fan, but I thought this show was adorable. I've only seen the first episode (didn't realize there were two until just now),and really enjoyed it. Pedro's fortune beans spelling out "Napoleon will die" had me giggling for ages. Definitely will catch again.

CrabShaman

CrabShaman

Loyal Viewer

Posted Jan 17, 2012 @ 1:00 PM

I have to preface my comment with the statement that I am probably one of the only people in the Western Hemisphere who did NOT see the movie (based on trailers, I figured it would just be too annoying for words, so I skipped it).

I've seen worse, and frankly, I expected it to suck at least as much as Allen Gregory. I was pleasantly surprised. I didn't love the show, but I liked it enough. It will be given another chance, sayeth the Crab from the mountaintops.

Diedrich Bader clearly ran out of hookers-and-blow money, but I enjoyed his introduction of Napoleon before the Dome fight ("the kid you always want bad things to happen to" or something along those lines). I declare his presence...acceptable. Go in peace, Diedrich, you hack.

I will also watch the movie at some point, just so I can get the back story.

InvaderNorbert

InvaderNorbert

Fanatic

Posted Jan 17, 2012 @ 1:19 PM

Diedrich Bader clearly ran out of hookers-and-blow money, but I enjoyed his introduction of Napoleon before the Dome fight ("the kid you always want bad things to happen to" or something along those lines). I declare his presence...acceptable. Go in peace, Diedrich, you hack.

He's reprising his role from the movie, if you can believe it.

Edited by InvaderNorbert, Jan 17, 2012 @ 1:22 PM.

CrabShaman

CrabShaman

Loyal Viewer

Posted Jan 17, 2012 @ 2:15 PM

Oh, definitely, InvaderNorbert, but I admit to a certain amount of giggly joy at the idea of Bader running out of hookers-and-blow money.

InvaderNorbert

InvaderNorbert

Fanatic

Posted Jan 17, 2012 @ 2:30 PM

I just like it whenever Diedrich Bader shows up in anything.

Submarine

Submarine

Video Archivist

Posted Jan 18, 2012 @ 4:49 PM

MMmmmm... this show was much better than the previews/trailers had led me to believe. They definitely saved the best jokes for the shows. 'I think Pizzaville doesn't involve Pizza' and Kip's 'Return me to my grandma' songs were highlights.

I think that Napoleon Dynamite the show is actually even better than Napoleon Dynamite the movie. The humor of Napoleon Dynamite fits better in a 30 minute format and the movie was sometimes slow to progress in terms of both plot and humor. In contrast, each of the episodes of Napoleon Dynamite I've seen so far felt like they had lots of content.

This show is also a welcome addition to the Fox lineup. There are too many shows with cartoonish and McFarlane humor and it's about time they introduce something with slightly more subtle, realistic humor again. To the contrary of other's opinions, I don't find this a rebranded ripoff of King of the Hill. I do not feel that King of the Hill has ever been original or good enough to distinguish the genre and Napoleon Dynamite has always offered an endearing quirkiness that is the root of its popularity.