S9 - Heather Terhune: Don't Let This Thread Be Too Asian

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.

72 replies to this topic

DoxieMama

DoxieMama

Couch Potato

Posted Dec 30, 2011 @ 11:04 PM

bsur, I was just going to post a very similar thought. I was impressed that she seemed to know that the reason she was eliminated was because she didn't do well with her dish in the last challenge, and I was almost okay with her, but somehow, she still managed to sound like an asshole when it was said and done.

As for the rest of the Cheftestants, they all seem to be a pretty easy-going bunch as far as inter-personal relationships go. I don't think any of them thought she was worth the trouble to get into it with. The only person who seemed a little sad to see Heather go was Sarah, and she strikes me as the type to get very sentimental about pretty much anything.

goofygirl

goofygirl

Couch Potato

Posted Mar 7, 2012 @ 2:29 PM

Oh Heather, you fatuous idiot. Can you not see that by NOT apologizing to Bev that you're tempting karma to return meanness to you twelvefold?
May the heads of ONE MILLION SHRIMP rain down on your ridiculously ugly spirit.

FineWashables

FineWashables

Couch Potato

Posted Mar 8, 2012 @ 12:22 PM

I ate Heather's food often when she was chef at Atwood Cafe, and the girl can cook. Obviously not the winner of Top Chef, but she can cook nevertheless. When the show started I was rooting for her, but the more we got to see of her, the less of a Heather fan I became. I give her credit for acknowledging that she actually said and did the things they showed on camera. That's a refreshing change from someone like Sarah, for example, who flat out denied 1) saying the things she said on camera -- even though they were, like, on camera -- and 2) telling Emeril to F off, which Tom Collichio made clear did, in fact, happen. Heather also acknowledged, as was mentioned in a previous post, that she was eliminated because her dish wasn't as good as it needed to be. I admire that.

But I have a huge problem whenever anyone tries to disguise cruelty as honesty. Someone is talking to me and they say, "May I be honest with you?" I always answer NO. Because not once in my life has anybody ever followed up that question by saying "I was unnecessarily hard on you" or "I've never taken the time to tell you how terrific you are, and I'm sorry." People seem to think that speaking a mean thought out loud is okay as long as you make it clear first that this is how you truly feel. That does not make it less mean, folks.

Bottom line: Heather, you can cook. But yes, you do owe Bev an apology, not because you didn't mean what you said, but because it was inappropriate to say. Just because you don't admire another person's work, that doesn't mean that honesty requires you to share that on national TV. Ya see, it's not always just about you.

Edited by FineWashables, Mar 8, 2012 @ 12:24 PM.

Grimes

Grimes

Couch Potato

Posted Mar 8, 2012 @ 12:30 PM

If that's honestly the way Heather feels and expresses herself, then she is honestly a bully. One does not preclude the other.

FineWashables

FineWashables

Couch Potato

Posted Mar 8, 2012 @ 2:23 PM

yes.

fivestone

fivestone

Couch Potato

Posted Mar 8, 2012 @ 3:59 PM

Heather is awesome. I love people like that -they give it to you straight, you know where you stand with them. I don't necessarily enjoy being around that all the time, but I respect hearing somebody's objective criticism when my skin isn't too thin for it. I can't handle having someone like that as a close friend, and I'm not sure I could handle a direct supervisor like that, but everybody needs feedback now and then.

I love that she owned her behaviour, that she acknowledged that it was the wrong time and place for her comments about Beverly. But if Beverly had a problem with it, then Beverly should have fought her own battle.

I didn't feel like Heather was complaining about reactions from people in an attempt to draw sympathy - it was more a, 'will you get a load of how emotional people get about this sort of thing! oh, well!'

I would relish the opportunity to eat at Heather's restaurant at any opportunity. I don't need to be her best buddy - I need her to whip me up a tasty dish and I'll pay the restaurant for it.

cryyhavoc

cryyhavoc

Video Archivist

Posted Mar 12, 2012 @ 2:19 AM

I love that she owned her behaviour

Of course, by owning her behaviour you mean blaming everyone else, from the editing monkeys, to Beverly, and even the TC fans, for just not "getting" that it is not her fault that she is "honest". She is playing the victim card. That is not "owning" her beahvior.

Grimes

Grimes

Couch Potato

Posted Mar 12, 2012 @ 9:07 AM

Of course, by owning her behaviour you mean blaming everyone else, from the editing monkeys, to Beverly, and even the TC fans, for just not "getting" that it is not her fault that she is "honest". She is playing the victim card. That is not "owning" her beahvior.

Exactly, owning your behavior is more than just blurting out whatever is on your mind at the time. Just because you're honest doesn't mean that you're always right. And a little empathy is a virtue, not a weakness.

tip and fall

tip and fall

Stalker

Posted Mar 12, 2012 @ 9:36 AM

I respect hearing somebody's objective criticism

I wouldn't really consider Heather's criticism objective, though.

And a little empathy is a virtue, not a weakness.

This. And I hate people who excuse their rudeness by saying they're just being honest. One can be tactful - or at least not a total boor - and still be honest. But it looks like that's not a skill that Heather possesses. She might look to Paul to give her some pointers there, but maybe he's too Asian for her.

anacara

anacara

Video Archivist

Posted Mar 13, 2012 @ 8:14 AM

The thing about Heather is that while I sympathize with her for the death threats, because clearly that's just crazytown, that doesn't excuse her behavior. If she had said that she thought she was too slow or even that she didn't have enough drive for the competition or something along those lines rather than that she questioned her work ethic? Fine. She's entitled to her opinion. To not realize that she was potentially damaging Bev's reputation by questioning her work ethic is just bullheaded. It doesn't make her strong for sticking by that statement and refusing to apologize, it just makes her an ass.

NeedISayMore

NeedISayMore

Fanatic

Posted Mar 14, 2012 @ 4:26 PM

The thing about Heather is that while I sympathize with her for the death threats, because clearly that's just crazytown, that doesn't excuse her behavior. If she had said that she thought she was too slow or even that she didn't have enough drive for the competition or something along those lines rather than that she questioned her work ethic? Fine. She's entitled to her opinion. To not realize that she was potentially damaging Bev's reputation by questioning her work ethic is just bullheaded. It doesn't make her strong for sticking by that statement and refusing to apologize, it just makes her an ass.

I find Heather TOTALLY suspect for a number of things. For one she brought up the shrimp incident just to deflect from her own failings. Regardless of how slow she thought Beverly was, Beverly's performance had no consequence for Heather at all because although it was a group challenge, everyone pretty much stood alone with their dish. Beverly wasn't even in Heather's subgroup. Heather's claims that Beverly doubted herself were completely bogus. However flighty, inconsiderate, or bullied Beverly might have been, her food always showed that she was a contender and she always put her touches on the food. Whereas the mean girls trio had a problem with Asian flavorings, the judges never did. That little diatribe by Heather was just a pure lie.

ProfCrash

ProfCrash

Stalker

Posted Mar 15, 2012 @ 12:03 PM

I found it interesting that Beverly mentioned that she was helping her teammates while working on the shrimp and Heather did not have a response for that.

Heather can own her behavior all she wants. She can still learn to change how she interacts with people so as to not bully them. She does not deserve to receive death threats over her behavior but she should not be surprised that being so "honest" with people was going to gain her enemies. I am sure that there are more employees who left because they did not like working for Heather then stayed like Ty-Lor.

When Gordon Ramsey saw how he behaved on his first TV series (It followed his trying to earn 3 Michillen stars in his new retaurant) he apologized and made some changes to his behavior. He is no where near a great example of how to behave well and be polite all the time but there has been a huge change in his behavior from the Boiling Point to the F Word. He learned from his mistakes and altered (maybe not enough) his behavior.

So far Heather has learned nothing.

tuckerwolf

tuckerwolf

Just Tuned In

Posted Mar 17, 2012 @ 2:36 AM

Honestly, I think this woman didn't like Bev for a multitude of reasons:

She didn't fit in- did things differently- was a bit eccentric

From Chicago too and wasn't "one of the girls"

Bev is timid and bullies feed on that

Was cooking well (for the most part)

Bev is way more attractive and sweet (when not being clueless) than her.

Seriously, Heather took almost every opportunity to take pot shots at Bev (for the most random or delusional thing) This chick has serious issues. How does she not realize that the mounatin of things she's said would not present well?

Her whole "I'm not a bully thing" with her arguments just makes it more apparent as bullies are usually blind to their own behaviors and will justify it any way they can.

The death threats heather has been recieving are uncalled for however- you can dislike her and tell her that you dislike her all you want, but harassing them with physical harm? Very wrong.