2-11: "Under Godís Power She Flourishes" 2011.12.04 (recap)

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.

214 replies to this topic

DoBadThings

DoBadThings

Channel Surfer

Posted Dec 14, 2011 @ 4:13 PM

Incest must be the new pink, as far as HBO is concerned. This is the 3rd series in a row for me so far that its been used in some fashion in the storylines. (GoT, TB, and now BE). LOL.

Wait, what am I forgetting? Where was it in True Blood?

Having just watched Pillars of the Earth, the Incest story didn't entirely shock me. (and kinda saw it coming)

I get it with GoT and Pillars because Waaaaaay back in the day it seems to be common (from what I've read). That was the only thing that shocked me with it being written into BE. KWIM?

avaleigh

avaleigh

Fanatic

Posted Dec 14, 2011 @ 7:30 PM

On TB Bill had sex with his however many times great-granddaughter.

I think we established earlier in the thread that the only HBO drama to not have incest in it in some way is The Sopranos. The mother/son stuff in Pillars was blatant but IIRC it wasn't quite as explicit as Jimmy/Gillian on BE. Plus, for me at least, it worked better on BE because it helped explain a lot of the motivations of the characters and added to the overall complexity. On Pillars it might have done a bit to explain William's character, but the incest seemed like it was mainly used as a way for the show to go 'Hey, these are the villains, aren't they just all kinds of bad?'

I'd never watched Dexter before but I saw the most recent episode this week and lo and behold more incest plot lines. I couldn't help but have a wtf laugh that I'm even encountering this stuff in the shows that I don't watch. I guess HBO and Showtime are on the same train what with The Borgias, Weeds, etc.

Scoutlet

Scoutlet

Fanatic

Posted Dec 14, 2011 @ 10:38 PM

The incest on Pillars was not in the book, but invented for the show.

TWoP Howard

TWoP Howard

Stalker

• Interests:If you have a question for me, please use the Messenger/PM system to do that rather than leaving a question on this page (unless youíre a Just Tuned In, who wonít be able to use it until youíve made ten posts). Thanks!

Posted Dec 15, 2011 @ 4:56 AM

Back to talking about this episode, please.

Kel Varnsen

Kel Varnsen

Stalker

Posted Feb 13, 2012 @ 9:10 AM

Finally watched the episode, pretty shocking. I wish we could have seen some more current scenes of Jimmy in Princeton, since after how Jimmy's last few days at university went down, I would have loved to have found out who he sold all his share of the booze to.