6-10: "Ricochet Rabbit" 2011.12.04

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.

135 replies to this topic

LevitateMe

LevitateMe

Couch Potato

• Interests:Twisted shows (obviously!), bulldogs, mergers & acquisitions, private equity, expensive shoes, sports of all kinds but mostly fantasy football, UGA football, and college bball, rooting for Boston sports while exploring the super fun single life of NYC and people assuming you are a jerk because you like Boston :)

Posted Dec 8, 2011 @ 9:35 AM

"I don't have bad dreams. When I sleep, all of me sleeps. Nothing ever goes bump in Dexter's night."

Awesome DVO also straight from the books.

One I liked wasn't exactly a DVO but he was talking to a dead body.... when he killed Jiminez and had to leave frantically, he says to his mother's dead murderer "can't leave you here... can't take you with me... don't go anywhere!" and then when he is trying to get back to Jiminez "...don't decompose just yet." Love that one.

I think the formerly funny yet seriously creepy aspect of the show is the main thing missing that makes all of these plot holes/etc so noticeable.

Portia

Portia

Channel Surfer

Posted Dec 8, 2011 @ 11:06 AM

Do any of you think that Michael C. Hall or any of the actors, think back in retrospect and think the same thing we are thinking? How could they be so stupid to think the nutty stuff works? I know that some here say the show doesn't care as long as the masses like it, but still don't you think the actors, especially, Mr. Hall, has some concern about looking like an idiot?

If the point of Dexter's nonsensical thought processes are to reveal how he is deteriorating and to bring the viewer to a place of wanting Deb to discover the whole truth about who he really is and who her father was, they are succeeding. With me at least.

Even if that was the strategy, it would be more fascinating to watch if it didn't require the complete dumbing down of the police department and having to suspend reality in regard to how Travis could possibly accomplish all he's accomplished.

It's understandable that we could work with someone who turns out to be a serial killer. It's understandable that Deb would misread Dexter being disconnected and to view it as a relationship issue between the two of them. I'm really not getting any incest vibe....just Deb trying to come to terms with their relationship not being what she'd like it to be. It seems to me her therapist is trying to help her accept the reality that Dexter is who he is and she needs to empower herself to be her own person rather than spending her time wishing Dexter and others were different than they are. She has no parents and no other siblings and doesn't appear to have any close friends. If she doesn't become empowered, she wouldn't be able to handle finding out Dexter is not simply a disconnected brother....he's no different than his real brother. I don't want the last episodes to be the big reveal about who Dexter is and then Debra being carted off to the mental hospital.

Intelligence writers could allow us to see Dexter becoming more and more irrational and move further and further away from the Code---without ever having to insult our intelligence with such unbelievable story lines. And that is what pisses me off about this season. And it should be pissing off Michael C Hall and every actor on the show.

SunnyBeBe

SunnyBeBe

Couch Potato

Posted Dec 8, 2011 @ 1:20 PM

Levitateme and Portia, thanks for the detailed info especially about the Dexter creative history.

I have loved Michael C. Hall since the Six Foot Under Days. I am especially proud of the fact that he is from Raleigh, NC, where I live and grew up. I've never seen him around town, unfortunately. (I did see Sharon Lawrence here at a high school reunion once.) Hmmmm.....I wonder if Michael still attends his.

Anyway, do you think it would make any difference if I sent an email or letter to him or someone else who works with the show addressing my concerns and feelings on the matter? Would it make any difference? Would they even care or read it? I'm not sure what I would say, except. "Don't let the show go completely in the crapper before you end it." LOL Any suggestions?

Edited by SunnyBeBe, Dec 8, 2011 @ 2:10 PM.

feebee72

feebee72

Just Tuned In

Posted Dec 8, 2011 @ 1:44 PM

When I occasionally saw CSI Miami, I used to scoff that they were such idiots, with such crap writing and Dexter would have wrapped their case up in 5 minutes and still had time to off someone..... now I'm wondering where the real Dexter's gone. Could it be the Miami heat? Travis finding the boat before Dex was a CSI:M moment, as in too unbelievable to let go unnoticed.

Quinn... I think I'm the only one who thinks it's kind of cute that he's totally fallen apart after splitting with Deb. I just don't know what the hell it has to do with anything? It's a long story to tell if it's for the purpose of explaining why Batista went out alone.

While the VOs have gone downhill I still got a chuckle from the "I am the Bay Harbor Butcher" and the subtle DUH look on his face. Maybe I just like the sound of his voice. But as a sarcastic bitch myself and like everyone else I would love for the writers to take them back to their original snarkiness.

I'm on the fence about Deb's therapy sessions, but I don't think the relevations she may (or may not) be having about her relationship with Dex is anything other than what some women have with their dads (and I don't mean in a creepy way). The whole 'girl married a guy like her dad' thing could be relevant here but instead it's been no guy measures up to her brother.

The books have Deb knowing about Dexter's real life and dealing with it... is it such a stretch that she'd be able to justify it on screen, which is where hints have been pointing at.

Have been enjoying reading all the comments for a while, nice to get around to posting.

Portia

Portia

Channel Surfer

Posted Dec 8, 2011 @ 3:28 PM

I have loved Michael C. Hall since the Six Foot Under Days.

I loved him in that as well which is why I was so excited that he was the one picked to be Dexter. And his fight/dance scene and taking off his shirt in Gamer reminds me that he can make me forgive even this show for crappy writing.

Michael in Gamer

Anyway, do you think it would make any difference if I sent an email or letter to him or someone else who works with the show addressing my concerns and feelings on the matter? Would it make any difference? Would they even care or read it?

It's hard to imagine they aren't getting feed back on this season but unless they make it some crazy dream Dexter had....nothing can undo what's already been done.

mirth23

mirth23

Channel Surfer

Posted Dec 8, 2011 @ 5:22 PM

This episode was awful, largely due to atrocious writing. I feel like I'm watching fanfic:

I agree with Sour K's suspicion that the writers are trying to get new viewers and help them along. Either that or the current writers seem to have never heard of "show, don't tell." DVO suddenly has to narrate every action like it's a sportscast play by play. On top of that they are appealing to the lowest common denominator - DVO is now into juvenile lowbrow humor with commentary on dildos and flirty IMs instead of his usual wicked dark humor. This may be the first time I've ever wanted DVO to shut the hell up.

The 911 call was this week's "Dexter is an idiot" moment. Even if it was on a burner cell, his voice would have been recorded and likely listened to and recognized by Metro Homicide. Right after that slick move Dexter hoisted a dead body up out of the water and left it in plain view while he took the opportunity to argue with Harry. I love how that ended with him petulantly kicking some bottles like he was 12. How did we get from Dexter offing Bryan and embracing Harry to acting like a spoiled brat a couple episodes later?

Travis makes no sense. Now that the audience has seen the reveal, he's a cold, manipulative psychopath 24/7. Where did wimpy good-Travis go? The Travis in the first 9 episodes was clearly struggling with his role in the DDK murders, but now he seems to have no problem. Are we supposed to believe he changed because he witnessed that he'd killed Gellar?

Deb's panic attack was bizarre. She went into the church, freaked out, then was on her game enough to grab the pill bottle from Dexter moments later. Compare with Season 1 when Dexter lost it in the hotel room and was out of commission for the rest of the scene. (Maybe she IS pregnant? Ugh.)

Just kill Quinn already. I think he's only around to show that there's at least one person more unreliable at Miami Metro than Dexter.

I've been curious about the plotline with the intern, but he sure did get whiny this episode.

I can't believe there's two episodes left. I just want it to be over.

Edited by mirth23, Dec 9, 2011 @ 2:04 AM.

Naybob

Naybob

Channel Surfer

Posted Dec 9, 2011 @ 1:23 PM

I won't disagree with a lot of the issues many have with this season. There are some real logic holes and strange interludes that are either set up for something of just there for some extra "color". The adventures of Quinn & Batista has sure seemed pointless up to now, and from giving Brea Grant a couple paychecks, what was Ryan all about? My take away from the whole Gellar twist, though, isn't that they completely botched surprising the audience. I look at the reveal now more as a surprise to Travis, not the audience, and it matters less that we weren't fooled than the fact that Travis had duped himself into believing it. That's what helps sell the dramatic switch in him after that point. I still don't fault anyone for not liking the device, though.

I actually feel bad for the creative team that the "twist" was so easy for people to pick apart. I agree they took a big chance dragging it out over 9 episodes, but I'm not the "screw you, writers" type myself. It's not always easy take a big story, break it into 12 pieces that can each work as a standalone as well as further the main plot, and put some surprises and cliffhangers in along the way. Season one it ain't, but how many shows have ever stayed tonally consistent through 6 seasons?

Fictional it may be, but the plight of the poor "whore" was one of the more horrific ones. It's managed to stick with me for a few days as well. To have been captured and traumatized once already, then released, only to be grabbed again by a team of people who hogtie her and stab her to death while claiming they're showing her love? Not even a slampig deserves that kind of send off.

And one small complaint I now have for the writers is, knowing that the episode would be running mid December, could they have chosen another name for their fictional character aside from "Holly"? With all the Christmas commercials running, a lot of them use jingles with the word holly in them, and now each time I hear it I end up flashing on the image of a woman getting her throat slit. Not exactly putting me in the spirit of the holiday season.

WD69

WD69

Channel Surfer

Posted Dec 9, 2011 @ 4:32 PM

I expected that each season would take Dexter to a darker and darker place where he moves further and further away from the Code until it all blows up and he's caught. I was so looking forward to how that all unfolded. What I didn't expect was the writers to dumb down (in one way or another) so many characters on the show or to insult my intelligence to accomplish that. The writing just seems sloppy and not well thought out.

The last two seasons were progressively worse than the rest. Season 5 was "Dexter Lite", and then the look of Dex's face in the finale (at the beach party) would suggest the ol' Dex would be back and now we get Season 6: "Dexter Corny". How you can turn Dexter like into a corny, predictable, sloppy show befuddles me. It really plays out like some second rate poor attempt of a parody of Dexter.

This. I was thinking about this exact thing LK. Every good movie that has a major twist like this... 6th Sense, Usual Suspects, Fight Club, Psycho, Primal Fear, Identity, etc... the twists are so good that you want to go back and see what it is that you missed when you watched the first time. And when you rewatch you are really impressed by the thought put into the build up to the twist. I have a feeling I would not feel the same way at all if I marathoned the first 9 eps of this season.

I figured it out the first time we saw Travis and Gellar. It's such a cliche, done well in the popular films you mentioned, and to some extent a part of the series itself with Dex/Harry. When I saw Gellar just sitting in that car in the first scene, and introspectively mentoring Travis, I thought "Hmm. This is a little Harry-like." and from then on the obvious treatment of Gellar just confirmed my initial suspicion. And to think that the producer was smug with this "twist", when it was obvious and sloppy.

With regards to the writing- I believe there is a direct relationship btwn the quality of this show and the involvement of Clyde Phillips & Melissa Rosenberg, who both left after Rita died.

The show died with Rita, for me.

Seasons 1 & 2 were great, many had mixed feelings about Miguel but there was still much more of the good ol' Dex feel in that season, and Season 4 was a great rebound with Trinity and the ending. Everything since then has been just on anther (worse) level and is spiraling further down. For those that have not watched the earlier seasons, I implore you to start at the beginning. It's like a whole different show.

Edited by WD69, Dec 9, 2011 @ 4:34 PM.

HeroBrown1

HeroBrown1

Loyal Viewer

Posted Dec 9, 2011 @ 4:48 PM

Seasons 1 & 2 were great, many had mixed feelings about Miguel but there was still much more of the good ol' Dex feel in that season, and Season 4 was a great rebound with Trinity and the ending. Everything since then has been just on anther (worse) level and is spiraling further down. For those that have not watched the earlier seasons, I implore you to start at the beginning. It's like a whole different show.

I agree to a certain extent. But I don't believe Rita's death hasn't killed the show. Her death had so much potential and could have opened more doors for the show. Dexter could have been suspected of her death because he's the husband and Rita didn't fit the Trinity's MO (which the detective could have picked up on). There was a real chance that there could be added life to the show now that an important person in Dexter's life is gone. We could have seen him go completely nuts and start straying further from the code.

Instead, in Season Five, we got the same formula with the Big Bad Villain in Jordan Chase, and new love interest for Dexter weirdly named Lumen. In essence, Rita's death didn't end the series, the writers' lack of balls did.

SDcat2009

SDcat2009

Stalker

Posted Dec 9, 2011 @ 5:56 PM

I couldn't stand Rita and was glad she was offed. IMO, I thought the show was worsened with Rita and Lumen made it even more worse.

Just let Dexter be a single dad and kill the bad guys and I'm happy :)

Edited by SDcat2009, Dec 9, 2011 @ 5:59 PM.

DocSeuss

DocSeuss

Channel Surfer

Posted Dec 9, 2011 @ 6:31 PM

I think the death of the show started before the last two seasons. While Trinity was an amazing character, Dexter refused to kill him at first and the season dragged on and on. In fact, I was really confused by the amount of un-Dexter like decisions he was making throughout that entire season. Many of the things I hate worst about this season were already evident in Season 4.

fiedler

fiedler

Channel Surfer

Posted Dec 10, 2011 @ 12:26 AM

Fully agree Dr Seuss. I think they said all they had to say about the character Dexter when he killed Migeul in that beautiful scene where the colour fades away. The show since then hasn't really been about revealing who Dexter fundamentally is, but now focuses outwards on his relationships with others. Not quite as interesting perhaps, but an inevitable development I guess.

darkestboy

darkestboy

Stalker

Posted Dec 10, 2011 @ 9:45 AM

I was bored with this episode. I still love the show but this season has been something of a mess.

Maybe Harry is right. Maybe Dexter should just let the police take care of this, he's not doing a great job so far.

Let's see - Travis has escaped, enlisted two idiots to help, murdered poor Holly, created a bomb of sorts and now has Angel in his clutches.

All Dexter's done is get rid of Gellar's body, kept the hand and read Louis the riot act to be honest.

I'm hoping Louis isn't a whack job but his obsession with serial killers - a little worrying. Jamie should take care.

Can Quinn please just die now? No, really, show, we'd survive without him.

Deb got a clue about both Matthews and her relationship with Dexter - not too bad.

Maria continues to annoy, 6/10.

ttfr1

ttfr1

Couch Potato

Posted Dec 10, 2011 @ 7:53 PM

The best and most consistent character on the show is Deb. She's as complex as Dex is and unlike Dex, has the courage of her convictions.

I still love this show, 2 crap season in a row or not, I'm invested in these characters too damn much to ever leave.

I like that Deb is in therapy but i wish the therapist would address her daddy issuses.

I still think this last ep was better than the previous two but not awesome. I don't know if we'll ever get awesome again with this show. I think the awesome died with Lundy. It's too bad they couldn't keep him around and he and Deb together. Imagine them bringing Dex down as a team or Lundy finding out the truth about Dex and having to break it to Deb. He was her best partner throughout the series and I miss their relationship.

As for Colin Hanks, I don't blame him too much for being less than stellar. I mean, look at Olmos. He's an established and respected actor and he was just as flat with Gellar. I'm gonna blame the writing and maybe the directing for their less that stellar performances. I did think TH was a lot better with this ep, though.

Edited by ttfr1, Dec 10, 2011 @ 7:57 PM.

Lilybart27

Lilybart27

Channel Surfer

Posted Dec 11, 2011 @ 4:31 PM

It really worries me that Dexter made the quip about Deb being pregnant. Why on earth would the writers have him say this? But it would be an awfully convenient way to possibly get Deb & Quinn back together.

If Deb is pregnant, I'm done with this show. I've had it with the lazy, predictable, unimaginative writing as it is, but if Deb is knocked up with Quinn's baby, that is the proverbial last straw.

TWoP Tennison

TWoP Tennison

Fanatic

• Interests:Moderating

Posted Dec 11, 2011 @ 4:49 PM

Keep it on topic, everyone.

There are other threads for discussion of future episodes and what went wrong with this season compared to previous seasons, etc.