Friends Seasonal Analysis: Season 4

• Please log in to reply

163 replies to this topic

TimeMonkey

TimeMonkey

Stalker

Posted Apr 20, 2012 @ 7:08 PM

She probably doesn't know what leather really is.

jennie727

jennie727

Video Archivist

Posted Apr 20, 2012 @ 9:09 PM

I'm sure Phoebe knew what leather was....I agree, it would have made more sense if it was pleather

TimeMonkey

TimeMonkey

Stalker

Posted Apr 20, 2012 @ 9:27 PM

I don't know why you'd assume she would know. I didn't know until I came here and saw people complaining about it a few years ago. We have no idea what her education was like and she is strangely naive in several areas. She couldn't even bring herself to wear a fur coat without giving in to the guilt.

jennie727

jennie727

Video Archivist

Posted Apr 21, 2012 @ 5:46 PM

You are totally right, TimeMonkey. I apologize for disagreeing with you. That wasn't okay at all. I shouldn't have done that. You're right! We don't know what her education is like and she is naive in several areas. I was completely stepping over the line by assuming! :)

Edited by jennie727, Apr 21, 2012 @ 5:49 PM.

TDWT Kristen

TDWT Kristen

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 21, 2012 @ 8:04 PM

Liked most of season four, but couldn't get into the episodes the guys and the girls had each others' apartments. I'd always been used to them being in the apartments they'd been in since the start of the series.

TimeMonkey

TimeMonkey

Stalker

Posted Apr 21, 2012 @ 9:07 PM

Heh, sometimes when I watch the episodes I don't even notice they've switched until most of the way through.

MartyD82

MartyD82

Fanatic

Posted Jul 12, 2012 @ 1:04 PM

Liked most of season four, but couldn't get into the episodes the guys and the girls had each others' apartments. I'd always been used to them being in the apartments they'd been in since the start of the series.

That was the whole point. It was a sort of "bizarro universe" angle and eventually became a good background joke as the actors and characters became more comfortable in their temporarily parallel setting.

Yogurt Baron

Yogurt Baron

Fanatic

Posted Aug 18, 2012 @ 10:33 PM

Probably my favourite season, and one of my favourite sitcom seasons ever - even my least favourite episode from the season (TOW Joey's Dirty Day) is much better than most of what's on TV.

I like the episode where Rachel and Josh go to their parents' house. "I like her. She seems... smart." Always cracks me up!

I agree - Joshua's dad might be my favourite one-episode character ever, right up there with Mike's dad ("How could you know? Why wouldn't you punch me in the stomach?") and Ross's student who's "in love with" him ("I'm all in love with you and stuff...").

One thing I noticed on this rewatch that I hadn't before: Ross's reasons for liking Emily so much all seem to revolve around how much differently he behaves when she's around. I don't recall him ever saying a word about her - just about her effect on him. For me, that's typical, selfish Ross.

Another nitpick: TOW All The Wedding Dresses, generally a very good episode, but the scene where Chandler brags to the girls about how Joey asked out the woman at the sleep clinic, but she preferred Chandler, only for him to finally confess that Joey was unconscious? This scene goes on much longer in the DVD cut than in syndication, and it occurred to me: that dynamic was comedy gold in TOW The Football, with Margha-and-also-Dutch choosing Chandler, but it's really unfortunate just after the Kathy arc. It both makes Chandler look like a boor and really isn't comedically coherent. "Hey, isn't it funny, Chandler's pretending a woman could like him better than Joey? Never mind that the main plot arc of the season was about a woman liking Chandler better than Joey!"

But those are two things I didn't like versus about a thousand things I did---no point in rehashing that "TOW The Embryos" is a lot of fun, right? All in all, a classic season.

BeeBee1000

BeeBee1000

Just Tuned In

Posted Aug 31, 2012 @ 4:11 PM

I like this season. The plots going through are all funny- Joshua, Emily, Monica & Rachel switching apartments with Joey & Chandler and Phoebe's pregnancy. I love the one with the quiz.

Never cared for the Kathy plot. Firstly, she was really bland. Secondly, Joey gets so angry about the kiss even though he was on a trip with another girl. And last but not least, why bother including her character if she's just going to be written off cheaply and hurriedly as a cheater.

Still a good season.

TimeMonkey

TimeMonkey

Stalker

Posted Aug 31, 2012 @ 7:11 PM

The Kathy storyline was never about Kathy, it was about Joey and Chandler. Joey doesn't care that Kathy kissed anouther guy, he cares that his best friend fooled around with a girl he was seeing. Joey lives by a set of rules and those rules are very important to him and Chandler broke a big one.

WendyCR72

WendyCR72

Fanatic

Posted Sep 4, 2012 @ 12:13 AM

I love(d) this show, but another example of the shitty ways the writers got rid of outsiders was just on, the episode where Rachel's boss, Joanna (Alison LaPlaca), was hit by a car off screen and killed before a promotion of Rachel's was ever made official.

Maybe stuff like that happens, but jeez. It just rang so false for some reason. Surely there could have been another scenario if Ms. LaPlaca wanted to leave/TPTB were done with the character. Say, a transfer, and Joanna got so preoccupied in getting prepared that she forgot to finalize said promotion for Rachel, etc.

But, I guess it fits with the dumb endings, such as Gary the cop killing a poor bird for no real reason in season 5 when he exhibited no signs of crazy beforehand.

TimeMonkey

TimeMonkey

Stalker

Posted Sep 4, 2012 @ 7:25 AM

I loved that ending for the character. Nothing else was going to work, she was too attached to Rachel to just have her transfered away and too much of a bitch not to get some kind of karmic backlash. Plus Sophie's reaction makes the entire storyline worth it to me.

Sunshine55

Sunshine55

Couch Potato

Posted Sep 4, 2012 @ 8:17 AM

I just rewatched all of Season 4, and I have to say it may be my favorite season. I keep noticing little things that I'd missed on previous viewings.
Giovanni Ribisi cracks me up in almost all of his appearances. Maybe it's his line delivery or that manic energy, but I think he's always hilarious.
And watching TOW Embryos once again, I'd forgotten about Joey calling shotgun on Monica's room: "Standard shotgun rules. I'm in sight of the room and I call the room."

lostinube

lostinube

Loyal Viewer

Posted Sep 7, 2012 @ 4:03 AM

The writers at the Onion AV Club talk about TOW the Embryos: http://www.avclub.co...mble-com,84632/

If you've never read anything at the AV Club before, I would skip reading the comments unless you like rehashing Seinfeld vs. Friends arguments and reading about people holding grudges about TV shows from when they were holier-than-thou teenagers.

MartyD82

MartyD82

Fanatic

Posted Sep 10, 2012 @ 6:21 AM

I love(d) this show, but another example of the shitty ways the writers got rid of outsiders was just on, the episode where Rachel's boss, Joanna (Alison LaPlaca), was hit by a car off screen and killed before a promotion of Rachel's was ever made official.

Maybe stuff like that happens, but jeez. It just rang so false for some reason. Surely there could have been another scenario if Ms. LaPlaca wanted to leave/TPTB were done with the character. Say, a transfer, and Joanna got so preoccupied in getting prepared that she forgot to finalize said promotion for Rachel, etc.

But, I guess it fits with the dumb endings, such as Gary the cop killing a poor bird for no real reason in season 5 when he exhibited no signs of crazy beforehand.

Once again, there was probably some behind-the-scenes drama that led to Joanna's abrupt ousting from the series. The writers were never particularly good at "thinking on their feet" in that regard, so they'd always have an awkward write-off for characters they were either (in the case of Gary) bored with or (in the case of Elle MacPherson) unhappy with in terms of performance.

I do, however, love Sophie's reaction. Talk about karmic payback!

Edited by MartyD82, Sep 10, 2012 @ 6:22 AM.

TimeMonkey

TimeMonkey

Stalker

Posted Sep 10, 2012 @ 8:06 AM

I don't think it was behind the scenes drama, it really just seems like "well, we've milked this situation for all it's worth, time to dump it and change things up for next season."

KramerIndustry

KramerIndustry

Channel Surfer

Posted Oct 26, 2012 @ 1:55 PM

I firmly believe this is the best season of the show overall for a number of different reasons, and I would go as far as to say that the Trivia and London episodes are the two best in the entire show.

The London episode, in particular, I find to be one wrought with analytical sticking points. Wonderful season altogether.

WendyCR72

WendyCR72

Fanatic

Posted Oct 26, 2012 @ 2:08 PM

I agree that Season 4 was one of this show's best - if not overall best (though I'm partial to S5 as a M/C fan!) season. The chemistry between all six was firing on all cylinders, game-changing events happened (Ross meeting/proposing to Emily; Phoebe getting pregnant with the triplets as a surrogate; M/C begin in London), and the comedy was just good.

KramerIndustry

KramerIndustry

Channel Surfer

Posted Oct 26, 2012 @ 2:57 PM

[snip] I won't delve into this in this thread, but Mondler is not one of my favourite plot points at all.

Not to worry, though. I've done plenty of reading here, and [snip] I can safely say that Ross and Rachel aren't a favourite of mine either. Even as a male who will naturally side with the male in most cases of male/female dispute, I have a really hard time trying to defend some of the things Ross did over the course of that relationship. That's really part of the reason why I liked the London episode - I'm naive enough to think Ross had truly moved on to Emily, and that Rachel was quite courageous to not do what she wanted to do once she finally got to London herself. It's kinda disappointing that a giant reset button was pushed during the wedding.

Edited by TWoP Howard, Oct 28, 2012 @ 11:22 PM.
Boards on boards

WendyCR72

WendyCR72

Fanatic

Posted Oct 26, 2012 @ 3:06 PM

In all seriousness, though, I think it was fairly obvious that Ross/Emily was not going to end well, especially when you figure the episode surrounding invitations for that wedding was basically an "ode to R&R flashback fest". Then there was the fact that I don't think Helen Baxendale would have moved to the US to be on the show more (not full time, Carol wasn't either...but Ross/Carol were divorced, not married!).

Add in that S4 started with the R&R roller-coaster, and I knew whatever happened with R&R wasn't over. And it just smacked me in the face when Rachel went to London.

If anything, the show's execs should have had two long term plans laid out, one for renewal, one for the end.

Because they just pulled shit out of their asses later on, it just ruined R&R as a viable pairing for some people.

But to bring it back to S4, like I said, love or hate, at least things happened and the comedy was spot on.

KramerIndustry

KramerIndustry

Channel Surfer

Posted Oct 26, 2012 @ 3:41 PM

That much is true.

MartyD82

MartyD82

Fanatic

Posted Nov 1, 2012 @ 12:22 PM

Agreed. S5's second episode TOW All The Kissing was also one of my favorite R/R moments, because we actually saw the two characters putting genuine thought into the current state of their relationship and handling it in a mature/realistic manner. However, I think the R/R "will they or won't they?" issue should've probably ended after that episode, because in that episode, the two finally reconciled their differences while still acknowledging that they weren't right for each other. It actually would've given much-needed closure to the R/R relationship and, thus, far fewer instances of Ross acting like a possessive jerk during the later seasons.

Edited by MartyD82, Nov 1, 2012 @ 12:23 PM.

alcmena924

alcmena924

Fanatic

Posted Nov 20, 2012 @ 3:24 PM

I pretty much love Ross' "You're/Your" line. I have to wonder why English teachers across the world don't show this scene to their students.

I'm a copy editor, so that line is one of my favorites of all time. Every time someone on Facebook makes that error, I scream that at my computer (Usually aloud. Sometimes it's in my head).

I actually liked the cat storyline. I have a lot of connections with people who believe in reincarnation, so Phoebe thinking the cat was her mother just wasn't that weird to me, and it was totally in character. I usually like Ross but hated him in this. Phoebe had a point -- even if she's crazy and flaky, Ross was her friend and should have shut up and been nice to her about it. He could have talked to her nicely about needing to give the cat back, but that always-has-to-be-right thing about his personality made him kind of mean. It's one thing to get mad that she doesn't believe in evolution; it's another to be mean when she's talking about her dead mother, crazy as she might have sounded.

KatWay

KatWay

Fanatic

Posted Dec 17, 2012 @ 8:37 AM

I actually liked the cat storyline. I have a lot of connections with people who believe in reincarnation, so Phoebe thinking the cat was her mother just wasn't that weird to me, and it was totally in character. I usually like Ross but hated him in this. Phoebe had a point -- even if she's crazy and flaky, Ross was her friend and should have shut up and been nice to her about it. He could have talked to her nicely about needing to give the cat back, but that always-has-to-be-right thing about his personality made him kind of mean. It's one thing to get mad that she doesn't believe in evolution; it's another to be mean when she's talking about her dead mother, crazy as she might have sounded.

I actually find Ross insufferable sometimes but I totally sided with him on this. Yes, he was a bit insensitive (as usual), but he tried at first to be nice and was getting frustrated because Phoebe completely ignored him. Not to mention the other friends who were really useless in that situation. He wasn't mean about the cat being her mom thing, he told her she had to return the cat to the little girl who missed it. I actually thought the others were jerks for not saying anything to Phoebe. I lost a cat once when I was younger and was devastated for weeks!

These people knew a little girl had lost this cat and was likely upset about it and yet they were just going to keep it to encourage Phoebe's delusions? I mean, Phoebe has the right to believe in what she wants but not when it hurts somebody, IMO.

Edited by KatWay, Dec 17, 2012 @ 8:41 AM.

MartyD82

MartyD82

Fanatic

Posted Jan 3, 2013 @ 10:26 AM

I just feel the whole cat plot was handled poorly. I don't mind Phoebe believing in reincarnation, but even somebody who believes in it will tell you that it doesn't exactly work the way she suggested in the episode. That whole plot was more like something out of an episode of Touched By An Angel than a genuine depiction of spiritual belief. And, while it was definitely mean of Ross to be mocking Phoebe behind her back (especially since there are several hints throughout the series that he himself has spiritual beliefs), Phoebe was just as bad with the way she was constantly showing off what she really should've kept private (her intuitive belief that her mother was reincarnated in a stray cat). The fact that this cat was found stray in a public place should've indicated right away that it probably belonged to somebody. Why didn't anybody seem to realize this?

TimeMonkey

TimeMonkey

Stalker

Posted Jan 3, 2013 @ 5:50 PM

Because the script was written by someone whose mother had just died and though they all realsied the script was crap nobody was willing to tell her.

ScriptLover

ScriptLover

Loyal Viewer

Posted Mar 18, 2013 @ 12:07 AM

Cat storyline:

Reason for its inception in the series was wrong, the way it was played out was wrong, it made Phoebe look like a highly selfish character, it made the others look moronic and it had that horrible line from Rachel where she asks Ross to apologize to the cat (and he has to!). The only sane person with good intentions in this espisode is Ross. I know there are some who think he should have handled it properly but he did try that. Pheobe was just being bratty and ignorant. Just becuase it makes Ross look good (which is a rare case and hard for many viewers to accept), we cannot deny the fact that Pheobe was 110 % at fault in this storyline.

Frelling Tralk

Frelling Tralk

Fanatic

Posted Mar 19, 2013 @ 10:01 AM

I always thought it was stupid how the other characters felt the need to indulge Phoebe above all else and Ross even gets lectured on being a bad friend because he dares feel bad for the little girl that has lost her cat. Even if they didn't want to tell Phoebe that she was being nuts to believe that the cat was her dead mother, they could at least have tried saying something to her about the missing cat having an owner who was looking for it and she needs to give it back

ScriptLover

ScriptLover

Loyal Viewer

Posted Mar 19, 2013 @ 11:15 PM

I always thought it was stupid how the other characters felt the need to indulge Phoebe above all else and Ross even gets lectured on being a bad friend because he dares feel bad for the little girl that has lost her cat. Even if they didn't want to tell Phoebe that she was being nuts to believe that the cat was her dead mother, they could at least have tried saying something to her about the missing cat having an owner who was looking for it and she needs to give it back

So much word.

Inquisitionist

Inquisitionist

Stalker

Posted Aug 23, 2013 @ 3:43 PM

I love TOW The Cuffs. Rachel and Chandler are hilarious, and Penn Jilette on Friends? EPIC WIN!

It has been a while since I saw this one.  Penn Jilette is credited as "Saleman" but I cannot remember his scene/s at all.  Help?