The Finder: A Keeper or a Loser and Weeper?

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.

183 replies to this topic

jessied112

jessied112

Stalker

Posted May 5, 2012 @ 11:20 PM

I hope they renew this show too. I'm really loving it. I mean, I'm just impressed that they can take something serious (getting shot) and turn it into something humourous yet still tasteful. Walter (and even Isabel)getting shot, on a regular drama, would have been full of angst. I would have even thought a person, who just got shot, walking around so quickly would be stupid. But in this case, it's so Walter AND he didn't get off scot free. In fact, I expected him to end up in the hospital a third time. Cause, you know, third time's the charm.

This show is really flowing nicely. The character arcs are moving at a reasonable pace and although I have no idea if they'll renew the show, I think next week's episode should have some things at least resolved, like the status of Timo and Willa's engagement, some more Isabel/Walter relationship and a bit more maybe on Leo and his dead family.

Please Fox, renew the show. It's such a different genre, a good mix of comedy and drama, and I'd hate to lose it. I can see a lot of potential in the show.

shapeshifter

shapeshifter

Fanatic

Posted May 6, 2012 @ 12:15 AM

I prefer it to Fox's other on-the-cusp shows, Alcatraz and Touch, even though I'm a scifi fan.

brothertonbanks

brothertonbanks

Fanatic

Posted May 6, 2012 @ 3:06 PM

I think the show works because of the casting. I also liked Walter's computer contraption and the thought processes that he uses to solve the cases. It's so much more interesting than a regular detective type of show.

Tricksterson

Tricksterson

Fanatic

Posted May 7, 2012 @ 9:08 AM

aliconehad: Irish Traveler would have made more sense. Don't know why thy didn't go with that unless it's because gypsies have a higher erecognition value. In which case how hard would it have been to find someone who looked the part better. Maybe because of the dearth of cute olive skinned girls in Mexifornia looking for an acting career.

Edited by Tricksterson, May 7, 2012 @ 9:09 AM.

evilesque

evilesque

Channel Surfer

Posted May 8, 2012 @ 4:18 AM

I'm going to be sad when Fox will inevitably Firefly this show and cancel it before it has a chance to really grow. It's a great little gem, and the later eps play out more like a really good farce than a drama (with some notable exceptions, of course).

Walter's contraption this episode, however, was so ridiculous that I laughed a good two minutes and almost missed why it was the Good Witch that was really behind all this. That was a nifty piece of engineering, that motive machine.

giovannif7

giovannif7

Fanatic

Posted May 10, 2012 @ 12:08 AM

No real surprise - one season and done. Bite me, Fox.

WendyCR72

WendyCR72

Fanatic

Posted May 10, 2012 @ 12:56 AM

Once Hart Hanson railed at TV Guide on Twitter about snubbing The Finder (something about shows it wanted back or something), I kind of figured its fate was already sealed. I'll be honest, I could take or leave the show. BUT no way did Touch deserve renewal with its crappy numbers. But I guess 24 nostalgia (and the $$$ it gave Fox) trumps all.

So, with HH bring Walter back to Bones for cameos (assuming Geoff Stults doesn't immediately snag a new show), I wonder?

Edited by WendyCR72, May 10, 2012 @ 12:56 AM.

akg

akg

Stalker

Posted May 10, 2012 @ 6:46 AM

BUT no way did Touch deserve renewal with its crappy numbers

Yeah, out of the 3 shows in that article, the Finder is the only one I kept watching past the 3rd episode. It wasn't the best thing on tv but it was fun and light and Willa has grown on me.

Edited by akg, May 10, 2012 @ 6:49 AM.

brothertonbanks

brothertonbanks

Fanatic

Posted May 10, 2012 @ 7:36 AM

Have all the episodes been aired yet? I'm always hoping for more.

I'm reading The Knowland Retribution, which is the story of the E-Coli outbreak, the deaths and how they affected people, some murders, and the lawyers and corporate types involved. Walter is hired to find the guy who is shooting everyone. It's a great book. The Lacey Confession, the other Locator book, is about a written confession to the Kennedy assassination, and a guy who comes into possession of it and has to hide. Walter is hired to find the guy and help him hide even better.

WedgeOfSpite

WedgeOfSpite

Fanatic

Posted May 10, 2012 @ 12:47 PM

Have all the episodes been aired yet? I'm always hoping for more.

Last episode airs this Friday.

kayma

kayma

Channel Surfer

Posted May 10, 2012 @ 1:16 PM

It never occurred to me that this show wouldn't be renewed. It's a fun, enjoyable show. Too bad Bones gets to keep getting even worse and this show is ending.

Selianth

Selianth

Couch Potato

Posted May 10, 2012 @ 4:30 PM

I'm reading The Knowland Retribution,

I did not know this series/character was also based on a book series. I am sad that it was canceled (although admittedly the episodes had some wild quality swings) so I will have to get a hold of these to ease the pain a bit.

irishmaple

irishmaple

Fanatic

Posted May 10, 2012 @ 5:57 PM

I'm disappointed this one is cancelled. I don't watch Bones but I really liked this. It was cute and funny, but had some decent writing to it. Someone took Willa from being obnoxious and irritating to feisty and useful, and I admire that apparent attention to what was working and what wasn't. I loved her probation officer and was hoping to see her in future episodes. Showing the episodes out of order was a bit annoying, especially when Leo formally met Willa's fiance and we'd all seen them work together in previous episodes. I liked it being on Friday evenings. I recorded it and used it as a fluffy palate cleanser between the meaty goodness of Nikita and Fringe. I'll definitely look up the books as well.

Actionmage

Actionmage

Fanatic

Posted May 11, 2012 @ 8:24 PM

I was not part of the solution, as I watched here and there, but I watched tonight and was thisclose to tears at the end. Maybe they can have The Finder movies, like CBS' Jesse Stone franchise? Twice a year so as to not really disrupt the strong series that are doing good. Like around the Christmas break and in April?

I now kinda hate the marshalls, though I understand the need to bring Walt in, yet the last image we have of Walter breaks my heart.

And Willa took the chimes Leo gave her.

Tricksterson

Tricksterson

Fanatic

Posted May 11, 2012 @ 8:30 PM

Well, that was a downer ending.

shapeshifter

shapeshifter

Fanatic

Posted May 11, 2012 @ 8:40 PM

Indeed.
Argh. Doesn't USA Network like shows about "characters?"  would they pick up this show?

Having done my share of hitchiking when I was Willa's age, I know she is doomed to misfortune despite her smile. 

jessied112

jessied112

Stalker

Posted May 11, 2012 @ 9:05 PM

Oh, come on! They decide to cancel it now?! After THIS episode? The last ten minutes absolutely broke my heart. From the moment Walter snapped that guy's neck, my jaw was agape and I was completely invested into the show. It was just...I never expected any of that to take place.

I knew Willa was going to run away and it was still heartbreaking. Where is she gonna go? I absolutely expected Leo and Isabel, in the end, to ask Walter to help find Willa and that could have been season 2. But now, the show's done so there's no resolution to that. And poor Walter. Damn, if that's how he reacts when he doesn't find something, then I'd be scared of him. I didn't expect him (although maybe I should have) to be a killer when he doesn't find things. I expected a major breakdown, maybe depression and suicide, but not him actually killing people. Poor guy; he just completely broke down, with the painting not being real to his family's problems. I'm glad we got a lot of background on him, though. It was needed and it was nice to know that he wasn't like this before the explosion.

I want more. Like, right now. And it sucks that we won't get it. I'm hoping SOMEBODY might pick it up because the finale was explosive. My favourite episode to date and it was powerful and less humourous.

scarletine

scarletine

Fanatic

Posted May 11, 2012 @ 10:05 PM

Wouldn't this show be a shoo in for USA network's "Character's Welcome" thingy? I think USA needs to pick this show up...stat!

*Posted this about the same time as shapeshifter...still USA needs to pick this show up.*

Edited by scarletine, May 11, 2012 @ 10:07 PM.

thethinman

thethinman

Fanatic

Posted May 11, 2012 @ 10:46 PM

So Hart Hanson produces a solid show for FOX in "Bones" and they in turn give him a short leash with "The Finder"? Reminds me of the way FOX treated Chris Carter. He literally saves the FOX network with 'The X Files' and they cancel "Harsh Realm" before it can hit its stride.

CGRealms

CGRealms

Couch Potato

Posted May 12, 2012 @ 12:16 AM

Of all the cancellations these couple weeks, I think this one hit me the hardest. The ending tonight, with everything in chaos, cemented it for me.

USA Network should totally pick this show up, but if they don't I wish we could get a TV movie where Walter gets acquitted and Leo hires him to find Willa and bring her home. As a last ditch option, I'd like Hart Hanson to do what Chris Carter did with "The Lone Gunman" and use an episode of "Bones" next season as a de-facto series finale for our characters.

Actionmage

Actionmage

Fanatic

Posted May 12, 2012 @ 1:05 AM

I need a Leo/Walter beatdon on Uncle Asshat. Bad.

I need a wrap-up. Walter needs to be left back at Ends of the Earth (and it does matter, to Willa too.)

What exactly was the end of the Winslow Homer business? Leo and Isabel find the patient, so is that just more crap on the crap sundae that Walter has in front of him?

Does Leo even know what Walter did to protect his mom? What kind of thugs do that kind of a takedown minutes after a man has lost his father? (I don't know if I want to know that closing music because it'll always remind me of that ending. Good for the music folks!)

*sigh*

Movie specials, a wind-up on Bones, or a save by USA- I don't care. I just need my dysfunctional family unit back and fighting/saving their corner of the world, thank you.

Cgr

Cgr

Fanatic

Posted May 12, 2012 @ 6:06 AM

I will miss this cute little show. They could have cancelled the horrid thing Bones has turned into and kept this gem. Just another reason to dislike Fox!

shapeshifter

shapeshifter

Fanatic

Posted May 12, 2012 @ 6:21 AM

If USA can't pick it up, maybe Bones can gradually incorporate Finder characters and locations until Bones is The Finder. No? A fan can hope.

Anyhoo, in my mind the marshalls are taking Walter down for his own protection against the Evil Cult. His killing them is deemed self defense (they were armed; he was not). Not sure what place would serve as a better witsec location than Ends of the Earth, but maybe they shift filming to Vancouver to save bucks, and Willa, the Young Grasshopper Finder, finds Walter. Maybe Leo and Isabel get put in witsec with Walter. Sorry. Rambling.

these1000hills

these1000hills

Channel Surfer

Posted May 12, 2012 @ 7:34 AM

I have only seen the last 2 episodes of this show. From the previews it always looked more like a comedy and now after watching the finale I realize why it's in the drama category.

evilesque

evilesque

Channel Surfer

Posted May 12, 2012 @ 10:41 AM

I'm sad this really delightful show was canceled, and am hoping, like everyone else, that someone else will pick it up, or they'll find some way to continue it, like a comic series or something. Once it hit its stride, it was an interestingly hilarious take on all the other profiling/investigative shows out there and the comedic episodes were pitch perfect (Last Supper) and the dramatic ones were heart-rending (finale, the rap ep with 50 Cent). In other words: PICK THIS SHOW UP PLEASE, OTHER NETWORKS

ReallyTired

ReallyTired

Channel Surfer

Posted May 12, 2012 @ 10:49 AM

When I heard that FOX had cancelled it, I actually wrote to USA asking them to consider picking it up (something I have never done before) but that was before I saw the last episode.

Now I feel like writing to USA again and saying, "PLEEEEEEASE!!!"

Ugh. What a finale.

jessied112

jessied112

Stalker

Posted May 12, 2012 @ 11:15 AM

Hart Hanson was really going somewhere with this show. I think people may have been turned off of it because it was deemed a 'Bones spinoff' and that pilot episode of Bones to introduce the characters actually sucked hard. It's also a different kind of dramedy because it relied a lot on the comedy but when it had its dramatic moments, it really worked. This season finale proved what potential this show actually has. So I'm hoping USA will consider it.

I think I'm gonna go watch the finale again. It was just THAT good.

Editor Chick

Editor Chick

Video Archivist

Posted May 12, 2012 @ 9:08 PM

I watched the finale and was so impressed I came here to see if people were talking about it, and I'm totally bummed to see the non-renewal news. This show has slowly snuck in under my skin, and just hit its stride, big-time. And with everything they kept hanging!! If the USA thing doesn't happen, I hope they consider wrapping it up in a Bones episode or two.

Walter taking out the 3 guys was a stunner. I was trying to think back over the previous episodes and determine if we had hints that he was capable of this.

taiko

taiko

Fanatic

Posted May 12, 2012 @ 9:24 PM

The only thing I can think of is that he is a wounded and retired US Army Major and didn't seem all that effected by others violent acts

crowsworks

crowsworks

Fanatic

Posted May 12, 2012 @ 11:33 PM

Walter turning into a cold eyed killer was a shocker. Yikes.

Watched that new Common Law - it has the Isabelle playing a bimbo... I mean a whiny piece-of-ass Bimbo. Really?

OK USA, you have her already. Dump the rest of the cast and bring on the Finder folks. See? Easy. Good show - bad show.

You can keep the lovely Sonia from Lost. Walter needs a shrink and she was the only good thing about the show.

Forget Fox...no really. Forget them.

We should send USA STRING! Envelopes full of string. Why not?

Edited by crowsworks, May 12, 2012 @ 11:35 PM.