Raphael Sbarge as Archie Hopper: He's Jiminy Cricket!

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.

34 replies to this topic

HelenBack

HelenBack

Fanatic

Posted Dec 1, 2011 @ 8:38 PM

But, alas, we have no Mehitabel (I know, that's really a different name anyway, couldn't resist).

Okay, but I am coming to like Archie a lot thanks to "That Still, Small Voice." I like that he decides to be good - in both worlds! when he doesn't think it's really his nature, I love that he's the kind of guy who will just automatically follow a kid down a mine even considering that he feels responsible that the child's gone there, I even love the umbrella. Especially because he doesn't know why he's so attached to the umbrella! I find it endearing.

agora

agora

Fanatic

Posted Dec 2, 2011 @ 9:36 AM

I am coming to like Archie a lot thanks to "That Still, Small Voice." I like that he decides to be good - in both worlds! when he doesn't think it's really his nature...

Personally, I can't say Archie is a grey character to begin with, he's not exactly a cartonish good guy like Snow White/Prince Charming, but he's nowhere near the grey character I feel the show has been trying to sell me so far.

I don't feel like I know Archie to be honest. I know Jiminy Cricket, I can see the relationship that was established between him and Pinocchio's father (and the relationship between him and his own parents), but the shrink I'm supposed to deal with for the rest of this show is only a dog person to me. A rather childish one at that (judging only by "Pongo"'s name).

Edited by agora, Dec 2, 2011 @ 9:39 AM.

God is Tigger

God is Tigger

Video Archivist

Posted Dec 2, 2011 @ 3:11 PM

During the "umbrella scene" in the mine shaft, after Archie smiles up at Emma and Henry and they smile back, I thought they were going to still have him fall. That would have been horrible. Then I thought, "Too bad Juliet didn't have an umbrella."

HelenBack

HelenBack

Fanatic

Posted Dec 2, 2011 @ 3:33 PM

Who's Juliet?

I thought it was going to be great if he fell because I thought he'd wind up in fairy-tale land! But I expect him to continue being important to the storyline, so I'm still kind of glad he didn't. Besides, if he were the only one who got back, he'd probably be lonely 'til the rest arrived.

agora

agora

Fanatic

Posted Dec 2, 2011 @ 3:35 PM

I never thought for a second Archie would die because he's a good guy and, no matter how contrived, the good guys never die in "happily ever after".

God is Tigger

God is Tigger

Video Archivist

Posted Dec 2, 2011 @ 3:40 PM

I never thought for a second Archie would die because he's a good guy

I only had the thought for a brief second. :)

Who's Juliet?

Sorry, it was a Lost reference. :)

hitchhiker42

hitchhiker42

Channel Surfer

Posted Dec 2, 2011 @ 5:57 PM

Archie is my favourite after Rumpel.

Not grey, I would agree there. Not too 'white' though either, good guy but weak. Hopefully his newly acquired spine will stay.

A rather childish one at that (judging only by "Pongo"'s name).

I think, with this show being what it is, we should just assume the dog is Pongo. Also, the dog was placed with him fully grown as part of the curse. I would imagine the name is part of the implanted memories these people must have.

I didn't think he would die either. That is right up until the lift fell, then I had a momentary panic. :)

agora

agora

Fanatic

Posted Dec 2, 2011 @ 7:56 PM

I think, with this show being what it is, we should just assume the dog is Pongo.

Which should mean Jiminy Crickett is bound to cross paths with Cruella de Vil at one point or another!

Edited by agora, Dec 2, 2011 @ 8:04 PM.

HelenBack

HelenBack

Fanatic

Posted Dec 2, 2011 @ 8:20 PM

Which should mean Jiminy Crickett is bound to cross paths with Cruella de Vil at one point or another!

Oh, God, that's marvelous. I think my head just exploded and bluebirds flew out. I would love to see this!

hitchhiker42

hitchhiker42

Channel Surfer

Posted Dec 3, 2011 @ 2:05 PM

That would be amazing. Made me think of something I heard in one of the sneak peaks, so, can't mention until monday.

With the mixing of characters that would never have crossed paths otherwise, the potential for friendships and couplings is fairly interesting. I cannot really explain why, but I ship Archie and the Dormouse. I am not a shipper generally, honest.

michellemtsu

michellemtsu

Loyal Viewer

Posted Dec 4, 2011 @ 3:38 PM

An interesting thought to ponder: When (if?) the curse is broken and they return to Fairytale, will Archie return to his cricket form? Can he choose to stay human? It seems that the curse reverted him back to his human form, undoing the Blue Fairy's magic. Even more importantly, how would Gepetto react to seeing his friend Jiminy as a human and probably remembering him as the man who turned his parents into creepy puppets? That revelation could take away Jiminy's happy ending even if the curse is broken.

agora

agora

Fanatic

Posted Dec 4, 2011 @ 9:53 PM

With the mixing of characters that would never have crossed paths otherwise, the potential for friendships and couplings is fairly interesting. I cannot really explain why, but I ship Archie and the Dormouse. I am not a shipper generally, honest.

To be completely honest, don't think I could ever ship Jiminy Crickett with anybody ...he's almost asexual IMO.

An interesting thought to ponder: When (if?) the curse is broken and they return to Fairytale, will Archie return to his cricket form? Can he choose to stay human?

I think the traditional fairytale rules apply: Archie would have to be kissed by his one true love for him to remain human, otherwise he's stuck in animalistic/bug-like form for the rest of his life, just like the rest of his counterparts IMO.

Edited by agora, Dec 4, 2011 @ 9:55 PM.

God is Tigger

God is Tigger

Video Archivist

Posted Dec 5, 2011 @ 10:53 AM

I think the traditional fairytale rules apply: Archie would have to be kissed by his one true love for him to remain human, otherwise he's stuck in animalistic/bug-like form for the rest of his life, just like the rest of his counterparts IMO.

There is a difference because he wasn't cursed but CHOSE to be a cricket, maybe he needs true love's kiss to change him back to a cricket. :)

HelenBack

HelenBack

Fanatic

Posted Dec 5, 2011 @ 10:59 AM

There is a difference because he wasn't cursed but CHOSE to be a cricket, maybe he needs true love's kiss to change him back to a cricket. :)

Hee. Or just for the Storybrooke curse to end! Maybe then he'd even get to decide all over again, in case he does want to be human now. Why not, right? It's a harmless wish either way, costing no one else anything.

hitchhiker42

hitchhiker42

Channel Surfer

Posted Dec 5, 2011 @ 12:08 PM

Hee. Or just for the Storybrooke curse to end!

I think they'll keep everyone from their true loves kiss for ages in that case. :) That would get annoying quick I imagine.

To be completely honest, don't think I could ever ship Jiminy Crickett with anybody ...he's almost asexual IMO.

When he first revealed to be originally human I thought it was maybe incase they paired him up. So we wouldn't be thinking "Eurgh! You're snogging a bug!".

Asexual? Maybe just extremely dorky. At least he not clambering out of anyone's bedroom window late night. *shakes head with dismay at Sheriff*

I would pay good money to see the other person`s reaction. :D

HelenBack

HelenBack

Fanatic

Posted Dec 5, 2011 @ 12:16 PM

It's a small thing, but it's starting to get to me... I like to be able to hear things in my head when I read them, just as I mentally see words when I hear them, and I cannot for the life of me find anywhere how one pronounces "Sbarge." Does anyone know?

hitchhiker42

hitchhiker42

Channel Surfer

Posted Dec 5, 2011 @ 1:07 PM

Sorry, been wondering myself. :(

agora

agora

Fanatic

Posted Dec 5, 2011 @ 1:48 PM

There is a difference because he wasn't cursed but CHOSE to be a cricket...

It worked for Beast and the frog from Princess & the Frog, this show ain't Shrek for it to work backwards IMO.

God is Tigger

God is Tigger

Video Archivist

Posted Dec 5, 2011 @ 4:24 PM

It worked for Beast and the frog from Princess & the Frog

Yes, but Beast and the frog (I'm assuming?) wanted to be human, Jiminy wanted to be a cricket and NOT human. But I guess if he finds his true love and they aren't a bug, then he would probably want to stay a human.

this show ain't Shrek for it to work backwards IMO

LOL, whenever I typed "true love's first kiss" I immediately thought of Princess Fiona but completely forgot that she was someone who had the reverse transformation. True love's first kiss made her an ogre, not a human (complete with the Beauty and the Beast metamorphosis).

agora

agora

Fanatic

Posted Dec 5, 2011 @ 6:38 PM

It worked for Beast and the frog from Princess & the Frog, this show ain't Shrek for it to work backwards IMO.

Yes, but Beast and the frog (I'm assuming?) wanted to be human...

Only frog from the Shrek movie - who happened to be Fiona's father, I may add - as far as I can tell, at that point in their respective stories both frog and beast were content only to be with their one true love, even if they were to lose their human form forever. Not that I pressume Jiminy Crickett was ever that complex, in fact, the character always gave me the impression that he wasn't interested in his one true love the way most characters from fairytale stories are.

...which might explain why Archie is sort of a plain looking guy when compared to Prince Charming or the Sheriff (and pretty much every male character in Once Upon a Time).

Edited by agora, Dec 5, 2011 @ 6:42 PM.

Tzigone

Tzigone

Fanatic

Posted Dec 5, 2011 @ 8:47 PM

Really? I just rewatched Pinocchio after "That Still Small Voice" and that cricket is very enamored of the human(ish) female form. He dances with the wooden clock lady, the checks out the puppets, and he blushes like crazy when the Blue Fairy pays him mind. I guess him previously being human makes his liking the female human form a bit less fetish-y. The Disney wiki (yes, I know it's a wiki) says it's assumed he and the Blue Fairy became a couple, but I've no idea what media that's based on.

Unless you mean this Jiminy. And I haven't seen him in a circumstance that would make me assign sexuality to him yet.

Edited by Tzigone, Dec 5, 2011 @ 8:53 PM.

HelenBack

HelenBack

Fanatic

Posted Dec 5, 2011 @ 11:19 PM

Found it! "Suh-BARZH."

Far simpler than anything I'd imagined!

Monique

Monique

Couch Potato

Posted Dec 6, 2011 @ 7:32 AM

Found it! "Suh-BARZH."

Far simpler than anything I'd imagined!

You can also hear Raphael say his full name at the start of most of his audioblog entries.

hitchhiker42

hitchhiker42

Channel Surfer

Posted Dec 6, 2011 @ 1:20 PM

Glad it's a 'say what you see' name. There's a wee phase over here right now for Gaelic names, get's complicated.

agora

agora

Fanatic

Posted Dec 7, 2011 @ 8:42 AM

I just rewatched Pinocchio after "That Still Small Voice" and that cricket is very enamored of the human(ish) female form.

As far as I can tell, there's no such a thing as a gay/lesbian/bisexual character in happily ever after", as long as Jiminy is a male he'll be into girls unless it's one of the Shrek movies.

Edited by agora, Dec 7, 2011 @ 8:44 AM.

kennyab

kennyab

Couch Potato

Posted Dec 8, 2011 @ 8:30 PM

As far as I can tell, there's no such a thing as a gay/lesbian/bisexual character in happily ever after", as long as Jiminy is a male he'll be into girls unless it's one of the Shrek movies.

OUAT has black fairy godmothers, so I don't see why there couldn't be any GLBT characters. And there are plenty of fairy tale characters whose sexuality has never actually been explored. Cricket-fairy relations? That's something I'm not sure the world is quite ready to address.

ETA: have to not accidentally press that "post" button

Edited by kennyab, Dec 8, 2011 @ 8:41 PM.

legaleagle44

legaleagle44

Stalker

• Interests:Foreign language and culture study, cooking, dancing, music, reading, and television, of course!

Posted Dec 10, 2011 @ 10:36 AM

OUAT has black fairy godmothers, so I don't see why there couldn't be any GLBT characters.

Because that wouldn't be organic to the fairy tale(s). To me, it'd come off as more of a forced characterization for the sake of political correctness than as something legitimate and logical based upon the traditional legends, in my opinion. That's why, even though I'm a gay man myself, I personally DON'T want to see the gratuitous or token addition of a gay character just for the sake of having one.

agora

agora

Fanatic

Posted Dec 10, 2011 @ 4:17 PM

I've got to agree, the fairy godmothers already seem contrived enough for me in order to add yet even more token characters for the sake of having token characters IMO.

Tricksterson

Tricksterson

Fanatic

Posted Dec 23, 2011 @ 4:39 PM

Oh Lord and Lady, you guys have just started me shipping Archie and Geppeto.

hitchhiker42

hitchhiker42

Channel Surfer

Posted Dec 24, 2011 @ 3:11 PM

Now that you've mentioned it, I think I could see them doing that.

Age issues for me though, mainly due to Archie looking after Gepetto when he was little.