Celebrity Wife Swap

• Please log in to reply

746 replies to this topic

jw7579

jw7579

Fanatic

Posted Dec 1, 2011 @ 5:47 PM

Premieres Tuesday January 3rd at 9:00 PM ET

In this new series, the mothers in two celebrity families with vastly diverse values switch homes (but not bedrooms) -- embarking on a journey like no other and revealing the various ways some controversial celebrities live their lives. The two moms are given the chance to see how another celebrity raises their children and deals with life in the spotlight, while allowing both couples the opportunity to re-discover why they love each other and decided to get together in the first place. It’s a mind-blowing experiment that will change their lives forever.

The featured celebrities include:

GARY BUSEY, Academy Award-nominated actor for "The Buddy Holly Story" and TED HAGGARD, Evangelical pastor.
TRACEY GOLD, actress, formerly of “Growing Pains,” and CARNIE WILSON, singer/actress/TV host.
FLAVOR FLAV, world renowned rapper, and DEE SNIDER, rock star.
MICK FOLEY, professional wrestler/writer, and ANTONIO SABATO JR., actor/model.
NIECY NASH, actress/comedienne, and TINA YOTHERS, rocker and actress, formerly of “Family Ties.”

Not surprised in the least that Carnie is going to be on the show (this will be her ninth reality show appearance); she probably needs the money since it takes Wilson Phillips forever to record/release albums.

Edited by jw7579, Dec 1, 2011 @ 5:50 PM.

AtlanticVamp

AtlanticVamp

Fanatic

Posted Dec 2, 2011 @ 2:06 AM

MICK FOLEY, professional wrestler/writer, and ANTONIO SABATO JR., actor/model.

Now, THIS is intriguing. Mick's wife, Colette, is a beautiful woman, a former model from the 80's and 90's. I love Mick Foley, but I can't imagine what two weeks with Antonio Sabato, Jr will do to her perception. It would be funny to find out what Antonio will do with four kids, all in the same house.

lillybee

lillybee

Fanatic

Posted Dec 2, 2011 @ 4:38 AM

When does this mess start?

Mita_Jo

Mita_Jo

Fanatic

Posted Dec 2, 2011 @ 10:56 AM

I love Mick Foley, but I can't imagine what two weeks with Antonio Sabato, Jr will do to her perception.

Mick Foley was the one celebrity I was actually excited about when I saw his name on the list. Love him!

Ok, I was also intrigued by Niecy Nash as well. I'm familiar with her kids from other shows so I think they'll give Tina a run for her money, lol. But I also think Niecy is going to fun to watch as well.

kemon

kemon

Fanatic

Posted Dec 2, 2011 @ 11:46 AM

When does this mess start?

The information is in the first post, highlighted in red.

Carnie Wilson again???!!! Doesn't her man work? Is she hard up for work?

Edited by kemon, Dec 2, 2011 @ 11:46 AM.

StrawburryTarte

StrawburryTarte

Fanatic

Posted Dec 2, 2011 @ 11:53 AM

Mick Foley was the one celebrity I was actually excited about when I saw his name on the list. Love him!

In a "previous life" career, I interviewed him and saw him again at events several times.
He is extremely intelligent and very well-versed. He's a great guy, very witty/funny and not at all like his pro-wrestling characters.

jw7579

jw7579

Fanatic

Posted Jan 2, 2012 @ 1:58 AM

Bumping because the premiere is tomorrow night at 10:00 PM (with another episode at its regular time Tuesday at 9:00); it's the Tracey Gold/Carnie Wilson episode.

Edited by jw7579, Jan 2, 2012 @ 2:41 AM.

Abootface

Abootface

Loyal Viewer

Posted Jan 2, 2012 @ 9:52 AM

I just want to see the Dee Snider/Flavor Flav episode. I've met Dee Snider at a post-concert meet and greet and he is the nicest guy ever. Really looking forward to a peek at his home life.

yourbabymomma

yourbabymomma

Couch Potato

Posted Jan 2, 2012 @ 4:17 PM

I can't wait to see Gary Busey/Ted Haggard. This is going to be awesome.
Aboot, Dee Snider had his own reality show not too long ago. I really enjoyed it. Maybe it's replaying somewhere or on Hulu? I agree, he's all kinds of awesome and his whole family is hilarious.

StinkPill

StinkPill

Couch Potato

Posted Jan 2, 2012 @ 4:26 PM

I wish they would bring back the normal Wife Swap, but I will tune in to watch the phony Haggard. I've been watching the UK version online and it is all kinds of brilliant.

JCScantling

JCScantling

Fanatic

Posted Jan 2, 2012 @ 4:32 PM

Carnie Wilson again???!!! Doesn't her man work? Is she hard up for work?

She probably is with a side order of just really loving the attention that comes with being on television. Too bad she lost that gig hosting The Newlywed Game.

jw7579

jw7579

Fanatic

Posted Jan 2, 2012 @ 6:15 PM

I can't wait to see Gary Busey/Ted Haggard. This is going to be awesome.

You won't have to wait too long; it's on tomorrow night.

backformore

backformore

Fanatic

Posted Jan 2, 2012 @ 9:31 PM

Is tonight the first episode? My DVR is calling it Episode 4.
Like everyone else, I am waiting for the crazy that is Gary Bussey.

ShaNaeNae

ShaNaeNae

Fanatic

Posted Jan 2, 2012 @ 9:37 PM

I don't get it. What exactly are they showing tonight? They say the first episode is tomorrow (Tuesday) night. But they keep saying "Sneak Preview" tonight after Bachelor. My boyfriend keeps saying he's not going to watch if they are going to just show previews on scenes we'll end up seeing in future episodes. I want him to watch it with me (since it takes an act of congress to get him to watch a reality show), but I need to find out exactly what they'll be showing.

I understand they're showing the Carney Wilson/Tracey Gold episode tomorrow night. In the meantime....?

gator12

gator12

Loyal Viewer

Posted Jan 2, 2012 @ 10:15 PM

Tonight is a new episode

backformore

backformore

Fanatic

Posted Jan 2, 2012 @ 11:42 PM

Just like the non-celeb version, they pick a couple of elements to highlight that makes the couples seem 180 degree opposite. I remember reading reports from couples on Wife Swap, where they said there was a lot of editing to emphasize how "opposite" the couples were. Fat/anorexic, neat/sloppy, organized/chaotic, loving/distant.

I kind of suspect some creative editing, or maybe producer-led interactions, took place here. Carnie has a nanny AND a housekeeper, and there's days worth of dishes all over the kitchen? And of course, when she takes the boys out to have "fun", it has to be something that involved getting paint all over their hair and clothes. Instead of, you know, flying kites or going fishing, or, I don't know bowling? racing remote-control cars?

Carnie's husband seemed to have no clue how to be a parent. (and very little interest) I felt bad for Lola, whose Mom went out of town, came home, and left again to do this show, leaving Lola with her dad who ignored her. And the younger girl is CARRIED around by the nanny all the time. Where was the high chair or booster seat so she could sit on her own at dinner? You cannot have 'family dinner' with a kid who has to held the whole time. She seemed to regard her dad as a stranger.

I liked Tracey's house. Her decor seemed very tasteful to me. Carnie had a point, saying that Sage needs something more of a life of his own, rather than being the assistant dad to his brothers. I noticed in the "household manual" that the other kids have activities, he doesn't. Tracey does seem to be a neat freak - or rather, a control freak. She picks out the boys' clothes, because when she lets them pick out their own outfits, they don't "match", so she has to make them change. I raised two boys. Give them blue jeans, khaki pants, and black pants (or shorts) and an assortment of T-shirts. Every shirt looks fine with any pair of pants.
I did like Tracey's ideas about family time, family dinners, and sharing responsibilities.

Interesting show. But tomorrow night's? I need popcorn!

Edited by backformore, Jan 2, 2012 @ 11:45 PM.

mrsproducer

mrsproducer

Video Archivist

Posted Jan 2, 2012 @ 11:52 PM

I guess on this show, they will always feel the need to swing from one extreme to the other.

I'm not one to relate to someone like Tracey, with the rules, discipline, etc., and I suppose I'd be more like Carnie but I definitely think she went too far at times (burping and farting in public? No thanks). I felt really bad for Carnie's daughters. Their father is not even remotely present. He's (sort of) there physically but he seemed utterly emotional disconnected. I can absolutely relate to how Carnie prob feels since my own husband is a producer in the music industry with crazy schedules and whatnot but this guy really seemed to want nothing to do with his wife and daughters and used the excuse of creativity to lock himself away in his various man caves. He truly seemed to do NOTHING with his daughters and it was very sad to see Lola upset because she wanted her dad there and to see Lucy hysterically bawl in her own father's arms because her nanny was not there! Why did this guy even start a family?? He had a horrible passive aggressive thing going on as well.

I think Tracey's eldest son, Sage, needs to be a kid. He's 14 and acts 44. I think it's sad when a child isn't able to let go and have fun. Granted, not every kid wants paint in their hair but he was just so uncomfortable! I can't even recall if he cracked a smile the whole episode. Tracey and her husband definitely seem to be a good pair. If someone like Tracey was with someone like Rob (Carnie's hubby), they wouldn't last a minute. Same with Carnie and Roby.

The reunion was definitely some Rob bashing time. I don't think that just because someone drives their kids to school every day, it makes them a perfect parent but I do hope that Rob actually makes an effort for his family instead of basically ignoring them. He could sit down with his family once in a while, take the time to read to his daughters and tuck them in once in a while, and get to know his daughters so that they don't SCREAM when he tries to hold them. Rob just seemed so uncomfortable and I hate to say it, but he didn't even seem physically attracted to Carnie. He barely wanted to touch her! I know that when he met and married Carnie, she was at her thinnest weight and I think had just had the gastric bypass surgery. She has openly said she has gained quite a bit of that weight back and I'm wondering if he's got some sort of issue with that.

ThatPoshGirl

ThatPoshGirl

Stalker

Posted Jan 3, 2012 @ 12:02 AM

I know that when he met and married Carnie, she was at her thinnest weight and I think had just had the gastric bypass surgery.

I thought it was the opposite? I seem to recall seeing an interview with Carnie post-surgery where she mentioned that she met her husband while she was at her largest weight.

Tracy and I would not be friends. That whole self-sacrificing mom thing gets under my skin fast. She seemed so sanctimonious about it.

AFDiva

AFDiva

Couch Potato

Posted Jan 3, 2012 @ 12:14 AM

I feel for Sage. He's the one who got banged up in Tracey's DUI rollover accident that her whole family was in. I wonder if that plays a roll in his over protection?

Carnie's husband: no words. I respect her hustle though.

LutherMahoney

LutherMahoney

Couch Potato

Posted Jan 3, 2012 @ 2:21 AM

Although I am not at all like Tracey, I liked how much she and her husband loved each other and their kids. (a little useless trivia - Roby Marshall's father murdered his mother and Joanna Kern, who played Tracey's mom on Growing Pains, played the murdered Mrs. Marshall in the TV movie and she's the one who introduced Tracey and Roby.)

All that help and Carnie's house still looked like shit. I read recently that her home is in foreclosure. I wonder just how much of her husband's music is hobby and how much he's actually getting paid for.

Can't wait for Gary Busey/Ted Haggard. Both are equally creepy.

mrsproducer

mrsproducer

Video Archivist

Posted Jan 3, 2012 @ 2:40 AM

I thought it was the opposite? I seem to recall seeing an interview with Carnie post-surgery where she mentioned that she met her husband while she was at her largest weight.

Tracy and I would not be friends. That whole self-sacrificing mom thing gets under my skin fast. She seemed so sanctimonious about it.

Hmm, I'm not sure! A quick trip over to Wiki... it says she had the surgery (which was broadcast over the internet!) in August 1999 and lost 150 lbs. She went on to pose for Playboy in 2003. She gained a bunch of weight and went on that Celebrity Fit Club show where she lost 22 lbs and then gained that back too. It says that in 2008, she was mocked for her weight gain and publicly said she was going to get back into her Playboy posing shape but I guess that has not happened. She married Rob in 2000 and they had Lola in 2005. So I guess he has been through all of her weight struggles with her at least. It was very telling, though, in the last few minutes of the epi were she basically said he never touches her and he said that he constantly feels reprimanded for it. I was flicking the channels just now and caught the last minute of the show again on the west coast feed I get and saw them sitting back on their couch together. His body was posed AWAY from his family while the girls cuddled with Carnie.

I don't think Tracey and I would be friends either. I also saw Tracey's son wipe out and smack his head on the concrete when I caught the west coast feed. Poor kid! I didn't notice that before. I had also forgotten about Tracey's DUI with her kids in the car. She wrecked her car, right? Maybe that explains her over achieving mom behavior now--the guilt over almost killing or seriously injuring her children!

BlueSkies

BlueSkies

Fanatic

Posted Jan 3, 2012 @ 3:01 AM

All that help and Carnie's house still looked like shit. I read recently that her home is in foreclosure.

They bought the house in 2004 for $1.5 million and sold it in Dec 2011 for $1 million. I guess her busy schedule didn't save it.

Edited by BlueSkies, Jan 3, 2012 @ 3:43 AM.

braggtastic

braggtastic

Stalker

Posted Jan 3, 2012 @ 8:14 AM

I agree that having family dinners is a good thing, but I didn't think Tracy did herself any favors by saying her family had dinner together all the time while she was growing up. Didn't she have a major eating disorder back then? I started thinking about her pretending to eat around a table surrounded by family members either ignoring her problem or berating her about it.

Were there three people helping out Carnie, a nanny, her aunt and a housekeeper? I only remember two - the nanny and the aunt. That must be her mother's sister, right? Carnie must have clutter or hoarding issues, because it seemed like there was just too much stuff for her house, and the house didn't seem small. It was gross seeing all that food left out on the counters when they knew cameras and a guest would be showing up.

I was waiting for Carnie & Tracy's husband to bond over weight. He looked so cute in their wedding photos, and now he looks like Tracy's dad. He seems like a great father, but I hope he is healthy so he gets to stick around to see all his kids grow up.

lispunk

lispunk

Couch Potato

Posted Jan 3, 2012 @ 9:24 AM

If I were to say that I headed such a perfect family, I would avoid saying on camera that I needed to change a 3 year old's diaper or have that same 3 year old drinking from a bottle on camera. Different children reach goals at different ages, but it almost seems like they're so busy that having minimal messes is more important.

Edited by lispunk, Jan 3, 2012 @ 9:25 AM.

TedHinD

TedHinD

Fanatic

Posted Jan 3, 2012 @ 9:48 AM

I understand Tracey's need for control, the former anorexic who rolled the family van, almost lost a son in the family pool and may see her hired-a-hitman father-in-law paroled. But all of that must pale in the sheer agony of having to be near Kirk Cameron for years. Eeegads! The horror!

Ah Carnie you married a checked-out musician like your father. He seemed relatively ok, but there's no "there" there. He helped make cute kids though. But demand more from the guy. You're Carnie Fuckin' Wilson.

spalding

spalding

Channel Surfer

Posted Jan 3, 2012 @ 10:20 AM

TedHinD:

You're Carnie Fuckin' Wilson.

Love it!

Thoughts on last night:

(1) I wonder if Tracey & her husband still hit the sauce. They are very blushy-cheeked, and I get the same way when I drink wine. However, I also get the same way when I am receiving attention...though I would think as an actress, Tracey wouldn't blush when the camera's on her. Anyway.

(2) Liked the Tiffany-style lamps in Tracey's house. Didn't like anything else nor the gazillions of family photographs everywhere, and I bet that wasn't happening just for the show. I have exactly two family photos on display in my house. And, if you have the money (which who knows if Tracey & Roby do or do not), why do you live in a subdivision with the houses so close together? I have lived in California & when I bought my house there I expressly avoided this kind of neighborhood. But I don't have kids & I guess some people who have kids like that setting.

(3) Tracey & Roby do seem like good parents...I love well-behaved kids. However...Sage is going to give himself an ulcer. I hope they will all leave the nest after college & be well-adjusted & not clinging to home, though. I agree that they were a bit too sanctimonious; you might think someone is privileged to spend time with your kids, but to say that on camera?

(4) There is something about Carnie I really like. I too like her hustle, she has a beautiful voice and she always shows that brassy personality of hers even when one might think she should tone it down a little -- I like her authenticity. (Loved the "Honey I'm home," Stepford comment & eyeroll.) I wish she had not been "in the news" lately with the rumored foreclosure & lawsuits...I like her & want good things for her. I admire the fact that she has apparently kicked an alcohol dependency, but feel sad she's still so heavy even after a major surgery. I have been 20 lbs. overweight for a while (which will end this year, damn it), and that causes me so much angst, I can't even imagine having to lose more than that.

(5) Whenever I see Rob, I think, "So cute." But I definitely get the vibe that perhaps he married Carnie mostly for her music biz connections & now that she's heavier he's checked out. Also definitely feel that most of his music studio time is for his own pleasure, which obviously isn't paying the bills. If he was composing that much music for paying gigs, Carnie wouldn't have to put herself on every reality show under the sun. If he has such a creative flow, he would be Bear McCreary (composer for Battlestar Galactica & much more) or someone like that...prolific, well-known & sought-after.

Psychomom

Psychomom

Channel Surfer

Posted Jan 3, 2012 @ 10:21 AM

I dont know how much of this show was for real or edited but honestly, despite tracy's control issues, I would much rather be with her family than Carnies. For me, Carnie and her husband came off really badly. Yikes, she is such a slob, farting and burping everywhere, she needs a helper for each kid, what does she do all day? obviously nothing, she had no clue how to use a washing machine or anything else for that matter. Does her husband make any money for living in his "studio" ? Tracy and her husband seem to have a loving relationship and they enjoy being together. Again, they might be stiffs, but whatever. I'm on the east coast and we did catch the kid falling on the driveway. not going to watch the Gary Busey episode, i avoid watching anything with him in it. I'm looking forward to seeing Dee Snider and Flava Flav, that should be funny at least.

Coco2

Coco2

Channel Surfer

Posted Jan 3, 2012 @ 10:27 AM

I think Tracey's eldest son, Sage, needs to be a kid. He's 14 and acts 44. I think it's sad when a child isn't able to let go and have fun. Granted, not every kid wants paint in their hair but he was just so uncomfortable!

He did seem unwilling to let loose, but he is 14. I am a former middle school teacher and adolescents are extremely self-conscious usually. They think people are looking at them and judging them, even when that isn't the case. I can definitely see a 14-year-old boy, who is clearly mature for his age, not wanting to run around with pink hair in public. I think he may have been willing to cut loose a bit more if Carnie had chosen an activity that wasn't so juvenile. I don't fault her for that. I don't know how much may be producer manipulation and how much may just be her knowledge. Her children are much younger, so if she isn't that familiar with adolescence, that is fair. I just think she could have done something like try to get Sage to go out with his friends or rent a video game system and have him go at it, or invite friends over the play. I just think if she wanted him to unbutton his shirt a bit, those might have been better ideas. It also seems like it would have been better to have an outing for him without his brothers, since the issue seemed to be he acted as mini-parent.

I too wondered about Carnie's husband when he was working. Was he doing work for which he was contracted (that had to be completed on deadline)? Was he writing music or songs and hoping he could sell them? It wasn't clear, but I definitely have known people who claim to be freelance, huddle in a room with a computer and claim to be working crazy hours, avoiding family time, and are really just screwing around. My brother-in-law was once "too busy working" for he and his family to visit us. I told him I was working, too. I am freelance and work from home and I said he could sit in my office with me and we could work while our spouses visited. He was ultimately convinced to come. He spent the entire day talking to me, bothering me, asking me if I would look at something. I realized as he was showing me what he was working on, that it was a demo for a piece of software he had created and was hoping to sell. The demo already existed. He was just adding stuff to it whimsically which is why he got very little done in the 8-hour period we were working. At several points, I had to stop him from talking to me, saying, "I am sorry. I really need to concentrate. I am on deadline." Cuz I was doing real work for which I was contracted. He never sold that software by the way. I just wonder if Carnie's husband's situation is like that. If he gets some sort of ego boost from playing the workaholic but he really isn't a breadwinner. I don't know which it is obviously.

I also can never feel sorry for people like Carnie who go on reality shows and say things like, I just got home from a tour and now I need to go again! Then don't sign up for Celeb Wife Swap. Touring with her music group is one thing. That's her career. Reality shows are optional. If you don't want to come home, spend an hour with your family, and leave them for 2 weeks again, then don't.

backformore

backformore

Fanatic

Posted Jan 3, 2012 @ 12:17 PM

I also can never feel sorry for people like Carnie who go on reality shows and say things like, I just got home from a tour and now I need to go again! Then don't sign up for Celeb Wife Swap. Touring with her music group is one thing. That's her career. Reality shows are optional. If you don't want to come home, spend an hour with your family, and leave them for 2 weeks again, then don't.

Right. Her kids are little. The older one goes to camp all day, and the little one stays home, being carried around by the nanny. Carnie talked about "just having fun" with kids, but her kids aren't really getting that from her. She has a vision of being the fun, zany wild mom who lets kids do all kinds of crazy things. "No rules!" Her younger daughter might be less cranky and clingy if she had a set schedule.
Kids need spontaneity and fun. But kids also need time to hang out and talk to their parents. As much as we saw Rob being unavailable to his kids, Carnie wasn't present in a real way for the kids either.

PJWatcher

PJWatcher

Fanatic

Posted Jan 3, 2012 @ 12:30 PM

I believe wholeheartedly that Jesus trumps both Harold Camping and the Mayans, but if that Gary Busey/Ted Haggard episode isn't a sign of an upcoming apocalypse, I don't know what is!