4-13: "To Be, Part 1" 2011.11.29 (recap)

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.

166 replies to this topic

sekhet7

sekhet7

Couch Potato

Posted Dec 3, 2011 @ 7:38 PM

I am really, really hoping we're not going to play out history with Jax/Tara/Opie. Part of me can never imagine that even being possible, but pieces have been moving into place lately. Jax is becoming his father in every sense of the word. He's the true King now, and as much as he hates it his place will always be at that table. Charming will never let him go. Gemma will never let him go. Tara has slowly been morphing since she returned to Charming, but I get the feeling from Gemma's comments that Tara was set on this road at 16 and nothing really changed. Tara got out. She had a different life, and her pull towards Jax - that addiction - is too much for her. She can't leave him. She can't not love him. It is what it is. Now, we've seen her education by Gemma. We've seen all her carefully built ideals falls away to reveal what she is at her core - steel. She can do what needs to be done for her ends. Her ends are different than Gemma in some ways. They don't include the club. Tara has a real family to protect, and she'll do it. Still, it couldn't have been more obvious that episode 13 was all about a changing of the guard. Tara is now Queen. She beat Gemma. Jax is hers. Jax/Tara don't equal Clay/Gemma, they parallel JT/Gemma. True love and all the awful places it can take you. And then there is Opie. Jax's best friend. He believed in Jax. He bought into everything Jax sold him, and has come away with nothing but a dead wife, dead father and broken club. He's bitter, and rightfully so. Does this make him Clay? Wasn't Clay so bitterly disillusioned with JT, and so blinded by his love for Gemma that he fell right into line? The only thing missing from this parallel is Tara/Opie having some romantic connection, and I can only hope we never go down that right. Hell, Tara even has two Teller sons. Sutter couldn't have built this any better than he has. All the pieces are in line, all got there in their own time... now we just have to wait for S5 and the reboot to see what this new world order looks like.

Ditto. I don't want this either because it's unoriginal, predictable, lazy, commits character assassination (I'd like to think Opie has more heart that Clay), completely goes against how Hamlet ends by rewriting it and in the case of Tara and Opie possibly hooking up, is completely unrealistic. They've never shown that those kinds of feelings toward each other (despite Opie saying that he admires Tara...let's hope that doesn't lead anywhere more). Hamlet doesn't end with the whole Gertrude/Claudius/King Hamlet scheme being completely played out by Hamlet/Ophelia/Horatio all over again. Of course, it also doesn't end with Hamlet being King either. I'm starting to think that the show is going to ditch the Hamlet theme all together and go its own way and I fear this may be the end result. I'm starting to hope that Tara doesn't make it to S5 just it put my fears about this happening to rest even though I know better. I may have had my problems with this season but taking this path could be the worst thing the show can ever do. And even worse, it will push the other characters (i.e., Tig, Chibs, etc.) more and more into the background which also does not make me happy. Again, feel free to talk me down.

This show can go so many ways before all is said and done and I would like the end to be one I don't completely see coming from a mile away but yet true to the story of Hamlet.

Edited by sekhet7, Dec 3, 2011 @ 9:05 PM.

doomblade403x

doomblade403x

Channel Surfer

Posted Dec 3, 2011 @ 8:17 PM

BakerX2: The reason the national average for executions is so long is due to the appeal process. Defense attorneys literally stack mountains of paperwork up as they file appeal after appeal on capital cases. When someone does actually get executed those same lawyers are STILL petitioning for stays of execution and you generally have protesters outside as well. His waiving of all that SHOULD put him on the execution fast track. Not that they are going to give him the needle tommorrow, but with lawyers standing aside and all the political manuevering out of the way, they should set a date and the execution shold be carried out without too much trouble.

Then again maybe I read too much into it. Otto knows the system and has to know he's going to have to testify. Those affidavits will not count as testimony if he is executed or dies beforehand.

Critic55

Critic55

Loyal Viewer

Posted Dec 3, 2011 @ 8:58 PM

Tara hooking up with Opie? Please, no. I will have to root for the cartel!

If you want to play out the "history repeats itself" scenario, then Jax needs to find out that he is actually Clay's son so he can go over to Ireland and bang Maureen Ashby's daughter, Trinity.

Edited by Critic55, Dec 4, 2011 @ 12:59 PM.

BakerX2

BakerX2

Fanatic

Posted Dec 4, 2011 @ 1:52 AM

Awesome, awesome episode, but I have to say, the scene where Gemma tells Jax about the letters did not sit well with me. It was just too literal the way Gemma spelled it out for him, telling him so directly that Clay had to die. Like it wasn't enough for her to simply tell him Clay was responsible for JT's death, point him in that direction and let Jax figure it out for himself - she had to really hammer it in as if Jax was some sort of simpleton that might not get to that conclusion on his own. And then they have Jax sit there so we the audience could watch the wheels turning in his head. It just jumped out at me, and not in a good way, compared with the scene where Unser tells Opie about Clay when he finds Piney's body, and give him just enough info to respond, without dropping an anvil on his head.

I think that the scene was done like it was, for the sake of the viewers not Jax. Sutter felt that he had to spell everything out (in Gemma-speak granted) and tie up loose ends such as the mechanic from season one, to effectively have the full picture laid out as to what Clay did and what the letters that she gave to him, told Jax as far as proof that Clay did orchestrate the killing.

(That reminds me, was the Mayan ambush part of the reveal previously established in season one)?

Snookums

Snookums

Fanatic

Posted Dec 4, 2011 @ 1:13 PM

(That reminds me, was the Mayan ambush part of the reveal previously established in season one)?

They did have a big plot point about it and finding a body from that ambush, but it's been so long since I've seen season one I can't get any more specific.

elkana

elkana

Video Archivist

Posted Dec 4, 2011 @ 4:29 PM

They did have a big plot point about it and finding a body from that ambush, but it's been so long since I've seen season one I can't get any more specific.

IIRC, when Clay killed Lloyd Jr, the mechanic, it was in response to finding his father, Lloyd Sr's body buried with two Mayans, and they had used a Mayan ambush to cover up the fact that Clay had murdered Lloyd Sr too.

But then when Gemma was talking with Jax and recapping the death of JT in her big "Clay Must Die" speech, didn't Gemma also imply that they had tried to take out JT using a Mayan ambush as cover as well, prior to when he died in the motorcycle accident, and that JT had figured it out and knew they were trying to kill him?

I might be wrong, but I don't think the JT Mayan ambush was established earlier, only the Lloyd Mayan ambush. At least that is what I remember.

Those poor Mayans! Blamed for everything!

thatguy01

thatguy01

Fanatic

Posted Dec 4, 2011 @ 6:24 PM

IIRC, Clay didn't kill Lowell Jr.

wonder1859

wonder1859

Channel Surfer

Posted Dec 4, 2011 @ 7:15 PM

IIRC, Clay didn't kill Lowell Jr.

You're right, he didn't. Clay ended up tossing him in the van, bringing him back to T-M, and saying something to one of the other guys about Lowell going into SOA rehab. Wonder what that program entails? Have we seen Lowell Jr. since?

doomblade403x

doomblade403x

Channel Surfer

Posted Dec 4, 2011 @ 11:01 PM

Yeah you right though.

Lowell Jr. was spared a bullet and sent off to Rehab thanks to Clay. Not sure where he went or what happened to him beyond that, but all I really remember about Lloyd Jr. was thathe was an addict, had a kid, and Clay killed his dad. At the time he told him that Lloyd Sr. was in the Mayan's pocket and had to be taken out. With these new revelations about John coming to light one can't be so sure anymore.

As a blindside maybe Lloyd Jr. will come back from rehab armed with a .357 and the truth...settling Clay's hash once and for all.

Doubtful but Sutter does like his twists and curve balls.

elkana

elkana

Video Archivist

Posted Dec 5, 2011 @ 10:15 AM

My mind may be playing tricks on me, but I thought Clay did kill Lloyd, Jr and with Gemma's blessing. She had said something like "no one will blame you if we don't see Lloyd again" and then Clay tracked Lloyd down in a seedy hotel room. Granted, I think the scene ended with Clay holding a gun to Lloyd's head and Lloyd basically asking to be put down, and no, we didn't see a body. But I thought the murder was inferred and when Clay later says Lloyd is at "SOA rehab", he was not be literal. Open to interpretation for sure, but I read the sequence that Lloyd is dead. YYMV.

doomblade403x

doomblade403x

Channel Surfer

Posted Dec 5, 2011 @ 10:58 AM

Yeah he tracked him to a seedy motel room..

Had the gun to his head...

But couldn't pull the trigger..

I believe he was in the van with Clay when Clay talked about SOA Rehab.

I wonder if Happy runs this...

Lloyd: "I want to give up Heroin..."

Happy: "Oh yes you do!" Pauses. "You make a mess you better clean it up."

TWoP Howard

TWoP Howard

Stalker

• Interests:If you have a question for me, please use the Messenger/PM system to do that rather than leaving a question on this page (unless you’re a Just Tuned In, who won’t be able to use it until you’ve made ten posts). Thanks!

Posted Dec 5, 2011 @ 11:20 AM

The recap is up.

Snookums

Snookums

Fanatic

Posted Dec 5, 2011 @ 1:54 PM

Gemma comes in looking like a maenad after a bad night in the woods and demands to know where "she" (presumably Tara) is.

Is there a better description of anything anywhere?

Racaps are a perfect Monday present.

thatguy01

thatguy01

Fanatic

Posted Dec 5, 2011 @ 2:05 PM

I thought the murder was inferred and when Clay later says Lloyd is at "SOA rehab", he was not be literal. Open to interpretation for sure, but I read the sequence that Lloyd is dead. YYMV.

At the end, I thought Clay made it clear to Gemma that he hadn't killed Lowell, to her surprise. YMMV

sobell

sobell

Fanatic

Posted Dec 5, 2011 @ 2:13 PM

At the end, I thought Clay made it clear to Gemma that he hadn't killed Lowell, to her surprise. YMMV

We also see Lowell, Jr., at the "welcome home, Abel" party later that season. Mind you that Lowell's since disappeared, but so has every non-biker mechanic at TM Motors.

Glitterkittens

Glitterkittens

Video Archivist

Posted Dec 6, 2011 @ 2:56 PM

One of the main problems I've had with this season is that the primary 'plot' of Jax and Tara fleeing is just....it's not engaging because we know it can't happen for the show to continue. So I just tune out all of their 'will you/won't you' talks because duh, no.

Kel Varnsen

Kel Varnsen

Stalker

Posted Dec 8, 2011 @ 8:53 AM

One major medical nitpick: A blood thinner wouldn't necessarily harm Clay at this point. He's gravely ill, but the wounds (external and internal) have been stitched up and scabbed over. On the other hand, a syringeful of the clot-busting drugs (such as streptokinase or urokinase) they use on heart attack patients would turn Clay's lights out for good; he'd bleed out before anybody knew what was going on. If that's what Tara actually gave to Jax, then fine, but they should make that distinction.

I am not any kind of medical professional, and maybe I watch too many procedurals, but would the way Tara is suggesting to kill Clay really be untraceable? I mean sure it will look like Clay pulled out his chest tube. But at the same time Clay would have died, at least indirectly, as the result of a gun shot wound. Wouldn't their be an autopsy. And if so wouldn't it detect the blood thinners in his system?