Magnificent Century: The Ottoman Tudors

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.

2 replies to this topic

quentin312002

quentin312002

Fanatic

Posted Nov 28, 2011 @ 11:06 AM

I saw a small write up about this series in the 'Toronto Star'. I went to Youtube hoping to find a trailer and found out that now the episodes are available there with english subtitles.
I watched the first one and found that it did indeed take notes from "The Tudors" but lacked the nudity and had a smaller budget. However I forgive that because I think that it's more interesting to see a series that covers a part of history that I haven't seen covered on tv and in movies before. Hell, I couldn't watch "The Tudors" until after the Anne Bolyn period, I just couldn't be bothered that time has been covered so much already! I wasn't that impressed with the actress playing Alexandra but I see she had a grasp of both Russian and Turkish(I'm not fluent in either so others might tell me she was crap) and she is quite pretty. It was probably hard to find actresses who meet all that criteria.

Trailer;

http://www.youtube.c...h?v=CZCHFtZzdCs

Episode one;

http://www.youtube.c...h?v=1XCwGCIKD0Q

I'm pretty annoyed now that I realize that the other episodes online do NOT have english subtitles like the first episode and the trailer do. Damn.

zombygirl

zombygirl

Fanatic

Posted Nov 28, 2011 @ 11:55 PM

Argh!!!!

That was awesome! They need to do the subs for the rest of that show right now!

I loved it. Alexandra was beautiful and alluring and the Sultan fell for it hook line and sinker.

I'm actually interested in watching a show that isn't a retread of history that I know so well, or a huge bastardization like The Tudors was. I can get into it without nitpicking it to death. I'm going to be looking out for this to be subed, that is for sure.

quentin312002

quentin312002

Fanatic

Posted Nov 29, 2011 @ 10:23 AM

Wow, a post in this thread I didn't expect that!

I agree that it's a nice change to have a series where no one is named Tudor or Stuart or any of the already well treaded dynasties. Although I noticed that "Henry Tudor" did get a mention by the Sultan. I'm actually not really as concerned about accuracy in this case because I believe that by actually giving a dramatic treatment to that period they could actually create interest in it. I don't feel the same about Henry and his already well studied wives.

I was glad to see that the series is covering the devsirme with the character of Ibrahim, and what possible conflicts could be within a person "collected" as a child to serve the palace.