6-9: "Get Gellar" 2011.11.27

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.

164 replies to this topic

mk125651

mk125651

Just Tuned In

Posted Dec 1, 2011 @ 8:10 AM

Didn't the first girl that they kidnapped for the whore tell the police that there were two men? The girl that Travis let go?

CrashEdit

CrashEdit

Couch Potato

Posted Dec 1, 2011 @ 9:31 AM

Do we know how long Gellar has been dead? Is it possible they started this thing together (I mean...the journals are gellar's), and he died of natural causes or being stabbed before it could start, and Travis had a mental break?

The writers spent some time making it clear that the Gellar that Hot-Prof-Lorena-from-True-Blood knew was *not* a religious wingnut -- quite the contrary, that he liked to tweak people's expectations (and sleep with college-aged girls). As for the journals, we only have Lorena's word that they're his.

I don't think Gellar was involved in the murders. But Lorena? Now *that's* a possibility...

LevitateMe

LevitateMe

Couch Potato

• Interests:Twisted shows (obviously!), bulldogs, mergers & acquisitions, private equity, expensive shoes, sports of all kinds but mostly fantasy football, UGA football, and college bball, rooting for Boston sports while exploring the super fun single life of NYC and people assuming you are a jerk because you like Boston :)

Posted Dec 1, 2011 @ 12:30 PM

So unless there is an inverse relationship between Colin H's acting abilities and Travis's set decoration talents...

Ha ha Bears91. We just saw ep9 so I believe there are actually 3 episodes left. I sincerely hope it does not take an entire ep to get Dexter out of the basement. As it was when he started following the noise down there Mr. LevitateMe and I shook our heads and were like "so, I guess the next episode will start with Dexter locked in the basement?" I agree it does not seem like Travis could do these things alone. But this show plays with that with Dexter all the time (in S2 his time travel capabilities were particularly unbelievable) so I wonder whether we will continue to suspend the laws of time/practicality for Travis like we do for Dexter, or whether he does have an accomplice.

I don't think we know for sure how long Gellar has been dead, we know he hasn't been heard from in approx 3 1/2 yrs. And it would totally make sense that the books could have been Travis's, not Gellar's, in the first place. The Tallahassee-based professor could be a lot more useful if it hadn't been for Quinn the methy, orange douchebag... I'm having a hard time seeing her motivation to participate in these crimes but agreed its potentially more likely she is involved than Gellar ever was.

One thing that I was wondering about though- Travis's sister told Deb their parents died when Travis was 14, correct? In a car accident. Anyone else think maybe it wasn't a car accident? In other words, maybe Travis has always had a dark passenger, and that is why he wanted to "start everything over" and embarked on this DDK route?

Kreniigh

Kreniigh

Channel Surfer

Posted Dec 1, 2011 @ 1:10 PM

That goes back to my complaint on page 1 - when did Dexter become the Medical Examiner? I kept screaming at the screen: "Why are YOU examining the body?! Why are YOU finding the little pieces of paper?" There's no need for the lead character to do double duty - bring in another actor for Christ's sake.

For that matter, I'm not sure what exactly Masuka's duties are, but I'm pretty sure he's not in charge of computer investigations, so when did his intern become the department's official expert on that? If you hadn't seen the episodes where Greene was hired, you'd think he was a full-fledged member of the team, probably a detective. He's certainly been more useful than Batista or Quinn this season.

And Travis sure does a good job of keeping those candles in the church burning all the time. But that's a trope that lots of other shows use a lot (Buffy, Game of Thrones). Maybe there's a store out there that sells candles that burn for like a week.

CoralFang

CoralFang

Channel Surfer

Posted Dec 1, 2011 @ 1:42 PM

The candles are from the unlimited supply out of the wet, wet streets of "Jericho."

karra

karra

Fanatic

• Interests:Writing, reading, baking.

Posted Dec 1, 2011 @ 2:26 PM

I suspect Dexter gets out from the other door, in the preview. It looks like the bsement's storm shelter.

ttfr1

ttfr1

Couch Potato

Posted Dec 1, 2011 @ 11:53 PM

Word ttfr1 that is what I am hoping for too otherwise this is the worst casting EVER

I feel bad for CH. I haven't seen him in much but I did see him in this indy film (can't remember the title) from way back. He was very young in it but did a really good job. It's got to be hard on a young actor who's father is someone like Tom Hanks. He's got a lot to live up to. I think the character of Travis is a dud anyway, So, I'm really hoping the young Hanks can redeem himself.

As for Deb finding out, It can't happen now. As much as I want to see that scene it is a series ender. When Deb finds out it can only play out a handful or ways. She arrests Dex, has to kill Dex or Dex goes on the lam. Deb let Lumen and Dex go but that was so against character. And even with that happening I can never and will never accept Deb embracing Dex as a serial killer. And it's not just the serial killer thing either. If she finds out she'll know why Harry spent more time with Dex. She'll know Dex contemplated killing her. She'll know he framed Doakes. She'll know about all the cases he fudged so he could have his kill. She'll know his responsibility in Rita's death. Dex has done things that have effected Deb's entire life. She could never, nor should she ever, accept any of that.

I think the big deal with her therapy is that it will change her as in it will make her more mature and less needy of Dexter's attention and love. i think the dynamic between the two will change. She'll become more of her own person. She'll still long for that closeness to Dex but she'll learn to accept his distance. But, I think her newfound growth and strength may bother Dex. I just wonder how he'd feel if she distanced herself from him for a change.

Edited by ttfr1, Dec 1, 2011 @ 11:59 PM.

Carol in LA

Carol in LA

Couch Potato

Posted Dec 2, 2011 @ 10:53 AM

I feel bad for CH. I haven't seen him in much but I did see him in this indy film (can't remember the title) from way back. He was very young in it but did a really good job. It's got to be hard on a young actor who's father is someone like Tom Hanks. He's got a lot to live up to. I think the character of Travis is a dud anyway, So, I'm really hoping the young Hanks can redeem himself.

There's a very easy way to remedy comparisons to his father - take acting lessons. Tom Hanks spent years in the theatre working on his craft before he was discovered.

BTW, CH was the guest on NPR's Wait Wait Don't Tell Me and he said so often he gets stopped by people on the street saying "Hey, I really liked you in that film that nobody saw - uh, I can't remember the title" so your first sentence made me laugh.

StephInMN

StephInMN

Couch Potato

Posted Dec 2, 2011 @ 11:10 AM

11:14? With Henry Thomas where everyone's lives converge? I loved that movie.

downfall

downfall

Loyal Viewer

Posted Dec 2, 2011 @ 11:42 AM

If she finds out she'll know why Harry spent more time with Dex. She'll know Dex contemplated killing her. She'll know he framed Doakes. She'll know about all the cases he fudged so he could have his kill. She'll know his responsibility in Rita's death. Dex has done things that have effected Deb's entire life. She could never, nor should she ever, accept any of that.

There's middle grounds-- for instance, I've been thinking it might be interesting if she sees him kill somebody table-worthy but it's in self defense or defense of others. Imagine Dexter being forced to fake his way through therapy over the "trauma" of being forced to kill somebody. She can know he's a killer at least once without knowing everything. Alternatively, she could find out he killed Trinity but think it's a one-off.

Cerpintaxt815

Cerpintaxt815

Couch Potato

Posted Dec 2, 2011 @ 6:12 PM

I think another way they could do it is if Deb saw Dexter kill a real bad criminal who had gotten off on a trivial police error. It could even be from one of Deb's cases. Then her desire to see justice served could help her sympathize with Dexter's hobby

She could also blame it all on Harry, thinking Harry turned Dexter into a killing machine (which is sort of true), then she could try and help him get better

I haven't read the books but I know she does find out in them, I wonder how they handled it there

Edited by Cerpintaxt815, Dec 2, 2011 @ 6:14 PM.

ttfr1

ttfr1

Couch Potato

Posted Dec 2, 2011 @ 8:03 PM

I haven't read the books but I know she does find out in them, I wonder how they handled it there

It's been a long time since I read the first Dexter book but, basically, she finds out when she's on the table while Rudy is trying to convince Dex to kill Deb. She accepts his 'hobby' but book Deb is NOTHING like show Deb. Also, LaGuerta gets killed in that book.

As for Louis, I really hope that he's not connected to ITK. I love twists and turns but it would just be weird. Is everyone in Miami 'special'? Obviously he's got some kind of scam going on but I just don't want it to be something like he's Brian's cousin or some personal connection like that. I'm going to go with the idea that he's a geek with a hard on for all things dark and spooky.

K42

K42

Couch Potato

Posted Dec 3, 2011 @ 2:05 AM

CH was the guest on NPR's Wait Wait Don't Tell Me and he said so often he gets stopped by people on the street saying "Hey, I really liked you in that film that nobody saw - uh, I can't remember the title"

"You know, the one where you and Shelley Long buy this house, and everything is a mess. So hilarious. Why don't you do comedy anymore?"

It's been a long time since I read the first Dexter book but, basically, she finds out when she's on the table while Rudy is trying to convince Dex to kill Deb. She accepts his 'hobby' but book Deb is NOTHING like show Deb.

Knowing the route the books take, with demon-hunting and kid murderers and everything, it's probably going on like that: "Hey Dex, looks like there's a new serial killer in town. Do you want for me to try and arrest the guy, or you just go and kill him? Up to you". "I don't know, Deb, I killed a guy just yesterday and was looking forward to spend some time with Harrison this weekend. Can you handle that?". "Sure, no prob, I'll take care of this one". "Thanks, sis, I owe you one".

Edited by K42, Dec 3, 2011 @ 2:08 AM.

darkestboy

darkestboy

Stalker

Posted Dec 3, 2011 @ 11:02 AM

I wasn't impressed with this episode. I guess I should've realised that Travis was going to be the real Doomsday Killer and that Gellar was dead but it felt like such a cop out though. I think the writers fudged this plot to be honest.

Dexter wanting to help Travis in a way to be a better father to Harrison. I can buy into that but still it was misguided on Dexter's part and now he's going to have to finish Travis off.

The bull of blood or whatever that was did manage to be effective though.

Getting bored of Angel and Quinn's squabbling and I knew that Maria was covering for Matthews with the Jessica thing. At least the show didn't drag that one out.

Not liking Deb's shrink anymore. Not everything is Deb's fault to be honest.

Louis has the mannequin hand? That can't be good - run, Jamie, run, 7/10.

CarolinaFiner

CarolinaFiner

Video Archivist

Posted Dec 4, 2011 @ 3:26 PM

I actually had a little hope there that the writers and show had tricked even the eagle eyes here when they showed Travis "in chains" ... I thought that would be a huge joke indeed to get everyone thinking there was a hallucination when after all it really was a breathing character. Alas, no such twist ... that opening of the freezer was therefore the least climactic "reveal" ever.

It was almost a little embarrassing to see the after-show commentary about how they really felt they were pulling this one over everyone and withholding that one "highly confidential scene."

May the very early comments here be a cautionary tale to the Shymalan school of pulling something like this off.

It all does make me a little more interested in Travis and how he staged all the crazy stuff he did. He truly belongs in a TV glass cage like Hannibal Lecter, to be studied by generations of TV FBI trainees. He would almost be a shame for Dexter to knock off. No clumsy bathtub killer is he.