2-10: "Georgia Peaches" 2011.11.27 (recap)

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.

172 replies to this topic

TWoP Howard

TWoP Howard

Stalker

• Interests:If you have a question for me, please use the Messenger/PM system to do that rather than leaving a question on this page (unless you’re a Just Tuned In, who won’t be able to use it until you’ve made ten posts). Thanks!

Posted Nov 27, 2011 @ 8:09 PM

From TWoP and ZAP2it:

Jimmy tries to cultivate a new revenue stream; the Commodore's crew must deal with the city's striking workers; Nucky gets a new lawyer; Van Alden's future is uncertain.

Edited by TWoP Howard, Dec 2, 2011 @ 11:50 PM.

pigapoo

pigapoo

Video Archivist

Posted Nov 27, 2011 @ 10:05 PM

Well, that's just great. Season 1, Angela couldn't go off to Paris fast enough, but I've grown to like her this season, and she's taken away!

Even worse, Gillian is probably going to raise that kid.

On a lighter note, Kelly MacDonald was made for the fashion of this show. I love Margaret's wardrobe and I love her in it.

Mayberry Gigolo

Mayberry Gigolo

Loyal Viewer

Posted Nov 27, 2011 @ 10:10 PM

That was truly awful to watch. And now there's nothing standing in the way of Gillian raising Tommy and completing the Oedipal family from hell.

abbottrabbit

abbottrabbit

Fanatic

Posted Nov 27, 2011 @ 10:10 PM

After several seconds of thinking "don't shoot her don't shoot her don't shoot her," my jaw should not have dropped when Manny shot Angela. But it did.

quentin312002

quentin312002

Fanatic

Posted Nov 27, 2011 @ 10:15 PM

What? Was it not frowned upon for gangsters to bump off the family members of gangsters?

ETA: This is going to sounds really really awful but when Margaret slapped her son after pretending he had polio I thought to myself, "Yeah, I could feel that coming". That was a horrible, unfunny thing to do.
That, and that kid knows more then what's good for him. At least that's what the look Nucky gave him in the end said.

Edited by quentin312002, Nov 27, 2011 @ 10:22 PM.

Chirper

Chirper

Channel Surfer

Posted Nov 27, 2011 @ 10:16 PM

Angela has always been a favorite of mine, but disaster always seemed to be just a step away for her this season. So much so that at the beginning of tonight's episode when the New York contingent was discussing the market for heroin and they mentioned "artists" as a possibility, my first thought was TPTB would get her hooked through her new girlfriend. I'm not surprised she was murdered, but I'm sad she's gone--she brought a different viewpoint to the show, and Aleksa Palladino was great in the role.

It looks like the Commodore has lost it for good.

With Angela gone, Gillian has total sway over Jimmy, which is the worst possible news.

Glad to see Nucky wised up and went for the top legal talent around.

Margaret is so going to regret giving up her mad money to the Church.

Edited by Chirper, Nov 27, 2011 @ 10:17 PM.

avaleigh

avaleigh

Fanatic

Posted Nov 27, 2011 @ 10:30 PM

I think I'm still in shock. I wasn't a fan of Angela but wow that was horrible. I was so tense throughout the scene. I knew he wouldn't let her go but when she said she had a child I hoped anyway so my jaw was basically on the floor by the end of the scene. It's so messed up too because the way that it looks people are going to think that Jimmy did it. I really hope that Richard doesn't think that Jimmy did it. Lucky that Tommy was with Gillian.

As awful and chilling as the scene was I did find it kind of funny that Manny was all wtf over Angela having a female lover. It was like he totally thought for a second that he had the wrong house or something.

Loved the scene with Chalky and Jimmy.

Eli continues to be the captain of the idiot squad.

Good for Rose for not letting her faith force her into thinking she shouldn't get a divorce.

Does Margaret's son Teddy know that Nucky had something to do with the death of his father Hans? I was confused about the picture.

Scoutlet

Scoutlet

Fanatic

Posted Nov 27, 2011 @ 10:31 PM

I don't think what Manny did was protocol at all. But he went to kill Jimmy, and got thrown for a loop.

How can Margaret be so naive? I thought she was a seasoned skeptic?

Contralto

Contralto

Fanatic

Posted Nov 27, 2011 @ 10:32 PM

What? Was it not frowned upon for gangsters to bump off the family members of gangsters?

Yes, but Angela was a witness to Louise's murder. Manny only intended to kill Jimmy.

Considering what a screwup Eli is, I'm amazed he dug an adequate grave for O'Neill. Shouldn't he be worried about Halloran telling that little story?

I was hoping the priest would tell Margaret that she couldn't buy absolution, but he probably has a lot of needy parishioners.

desarray

desarray

Channel Surfer

Posted Nov 27, 2011 @ 10:44 PM

I would have felt better about the donation had Margaret given the money to the children's hospital.

Can anyone clarify what Manny said right before he shot Angela?

Nutzi

Nutzi

Channel Surfer

Posted Nov 27, 2011 @ 10:45 PM

As awful and chilling as the scene was I did find it kind of funny that Manny was all wtf over Angela having a female lover. It was like he totally thought for a second that he had the wrong house or something.

ITA. It was funny for about a second. My jaw was on the ground when he shot Angela. Everyone is going to think that Jimmy did it. I wonder if he'll ever know that it was Manny.

Eli is a shit. Poor what's his name - goofy blonde policeman. If I had to choose between Eli and Nucky going to jail, I choose Eli.

I think Margaret is grasping at straws for her daughter. Desperate people do desperate things.

Stunt Cat

Stunt Cat

Channel Surfer

Posted Nov 27, 2011 @ 10:56 PM

WOW! WOW! WOW! That is what I kept saying at the end. I was not an Angela fan but I had high hopes for her and Richard. Too bad. Manny is a bad ass dude! I got so caught up in Angela's killing then I started wondering if Manny also killed Mickey Doyle at his house. I would not miss that stupid laugh of his and who would not love to get their hands around his throat.

Well at least I got my Arnold Rothstein fix (although too brief) at the beginning to sooth my soul. Aaaaaaaah Arnold.....

Scoutlet

Scoutlet

Fanatic

Posted Nov 27, 2011 @ 11:14 PM

Disarray, Manny said something along the lines of: "the important thing is your health. Your husband did this to you."

fasteddy

fasteddy

Just Tuned In

Posted Nov 27, 2011 @ 11:14 PM

I thought Angela was boring and annoying, so I probably won't miss her but I was really upset when she was murdered! That was awful. Anyway, I kind of hope Harrow kills Manny.

quentin312002

quentin312002

Fanatic

Posted Nov 27, 2011 @ 11:33 PM

Yes, but Angela was a witness to Louise's murder. Manny only intended to kill Jimmy.

Fair enough, she would be a living witness. But she's have been a living witness if it had been Jimmy coming out of the shower that he'd killed, did he always intend this to be a double murder? Is it that she would have lived to tell Jimmy? Jimmy is going to narrow it down someday to him and then it will be even worse for him. Look what Jimmy did when a woman he cared for had her face slashed.

Redtracer

Redtracer

Fanatic

Posted Nov 27, 2011 @ 11:33 PM

On a lighter note, I laughed out loud at Rose's note that came with the divorce petition. So formal. In a weird way, I think she and Nelson are perfect for each other, although I don't blame her for giving him the boot.

growsonwalls

growsonwalls

Fanatic

Posted Nov 27, 2011 @ 11:47 PM

Wow. Poor Angela. I really liked her character. Not perfect, but basically a gentle, sensitive, dreamy soul that deserved better in life than she got. I loved the moments of kindness she showed Richard.

I know Teddy's just a child but I could totally understand Margaret smacking him across the face for that "joke." It wasn't funny, and I think Teddy is very disturbed. Children are often very perceptive, and his talk with Nucky was chilling. It's like he senses what he can't quite articulate.

That priest taking the money and jewels from Margaret is sickening. I know the point is he's supposed to be somewhat corrupt, but you don't take advantage of a desperate mother's vulnerability in a moment like that.

Athelwyn

Athelwyn

Channel Surfer

Posted Nov 27, 2011 @ 11:52 PM

Angela has always been a favorite of mine, but disaster always seemed to be just a step away for her this season. So much so that at the beginning of tonight's episode when the New York contingent was discussing the market for heroin and they mentioned "artists" as a possibility, my first thought was TPTB would get her hooked through her new girlfriend.

I too thought Angela's next arc would involve addiction. The drug culture, the naivete about its effects and the acceptance that this is an uglier animal would have been compelling. Characters being from different walks of life are what draw me to this show. I liked Angela and her Bohemian leanings. What a waste.

Nutzi

Nutzi

Channel Surfer

Posted Nov 28, 2011 @ 12:02 AM

I know the point is he's supposed to be somewhat corrupt

Somewhat corrupt? Did you see that the priest had the finest furnishings, wine, a maid and a huge library of records for his victrola? So much for that vow of poverty. Of course he took the money. And of course Margaret gave it. She tried to bribe the doctor ("Mr. Thompson is a man of means") and when she was shot down there, she turned to bribing God through the priest. The only question is how long before she regrets giving away her secret stash?

So glad to see Arnold Rothstein again and giving Nucky advice. Loved that the lawyer had a drawer with multiple autographed baseballs. heh

Dame

Dame

Channel Surfer

Posted Nov 28, 2011 @ 12:16 AM

It looks like the Commodore has lost it for good.

I thought he's making quite the comeback: not only is he walking with just a cane, his speech is returning. I thought he had one of the funniest lines of the night. He can't do monologues yet, so he he goes the most effective route.

Jimmy's problem is he's expecting people to respect him and his decisions when he back down at the slightest bit of provocation. I thought it was really telling that as soon as he left, everyone turned to Lucky. Chalky's line was utterly fantastic. Did anyone else feel like him driving to Princeton alone was an act of real desperation?

Mickey is really one to watch. It seems like he's pulling the same thing that he did with the D'Alessio brothers. I'm quite concerned for him, because he kept bringing up Manny pretty much every time we saw him.

Speaking of, Manny looked like some old and angry demon when he opened the door. That wound on his shoulder looked infected, and he was really jaundiced.
I was horrified at how Angela died. I thought when he grabbed her he was going to kill her in front of Jimmy and then him.

I think Teddy is going to be a very troubled child, as if he's not already. That polio joke was just chilling. I'd understand him pretending to be sick too to get attention, but him laughing hysterically at it was straight up demon-child territory.

I think Margaret is at the very end of her rope, which is why she's done the about-face to the Church.
We saw a similar thing with her involvement in the temperance league. It seems like when her back's against the wall, she retreats to a structured, authoritarian environment where doing x= y result. But like another poster said, when Emily gets better, she's going to regret giving all of her mad money and her best/ favorite jewels to the priest who hides his wine glass behind a flower vase, preaches about acts of devotion, and accepts the misguided and panicked offering of a woman in a serious crisis with a straight face.
It's almost like Nucky is rubbing off on her. He throws money at everything, to show love or that it matters to him, and she's beginning to do the same. First with the doctor, and now with the priest.

Edited by Dame, Nov 28, 2011 @ 12:17 AM.

Pallas429

Pallas429

Fanatic

Posted Nov 28, 2011 @ 12:28 AM

ENTERING PRINCETON was a remarkably right and incredibly sad last note to follow upon that horror.

Is it worse if Harrow or Gillian is first to find the bodies in the morning? Worse for us, I mean.

Edited by Pallas429, Nov 28, 2011 @ 12:29 AM.

Lunathick

Lunathick

Fanatic

Posted Nov 28, 2011 @ 12:31 AM

Poor Angela. Just when I was starting to like her. What a shame. They got me good there, because I thought Jimmy was a goner for sure.

The beat-down scene on the boardwalk was hard to watch. I had to look away.

I am so sorry for being such a terrible person right now, but I would have smacked the hell out of Teddy for that tasteless "joke" too. That child is disturbed and is going to need all the help he can get.

Is it worse if Harrow or Gillian is first to find the bodies in the morning? Worse for us, I mean.

Gillian would probably crack a smile, let's not kid ourselves. I know Richard is a cold-blooded killer, but I don't want him to find the bodies either. That would break him even more. Yes, as you can see, I'm conflicted. Heh.

Edited by Lunathick, Nov 28, 2011 @ 12:36 AM.

clack

clack

Fanatic

Posted Nov 28, 2011 @ 12:38 AM

Angela's death seemed to me to be a forced plot move, but then the whole second half of this season seems forced to me -- like the writers have thrown out their original plans for the characters and are clearing the decks.

The character arcs feel so abrupt and truncated : Angela's elimination, Richard's disaffection for Jimmy, Jimmy's moral decline. Drama that should have unwound over several seasons crammed into half a season.

lucindabelle

lucindabelle

Fanatic

Posted Nov 28, 2011 @ 12:48 AM

Teddy was not laughing at the joke but because she was tickling his feet. He wanted attention and felt left out but I don't think he was being funny.

I think Manny intended to kill Jimmy and only Jimmy, but Angela would start a war by telling Jimmy and he oesn't need that.

Sanveann

Sanveann

Video Archivist

• Interests:<br /><br />

Posted Nov 28, 2011 @ 1:07 AM

Poor Teddy. I'm not sure if he has a chance of turning out normal ... but he just broke my heart when he sweetly told Nucky, "Don't worry, I won't tell anyone, Dad." The scene with him looking at the picture for his dad made me wonder what was going through his mind ... does he miss his father? Does he remember how he used to treat his mom? Does he feel disloyal by calling Nucky "Dad"?

I'm still trying to figure out why Margaret and Nucky aren't married.

And poor Angela. I did NOT think they would go there. Jimmy is under so much stress already -- I wonder if he's going to come unhinged, honestly. And I wonder what Richard's reaction will be -- remember his recent comment about "you have everything and you're throwing it away with both hands"?

lucindabelle

lucindabelle

Fanatic

Posted Nov 28, 2011 @ 1:16 AM

speaking of which, where was Richard? Isn't he supposed to be guarding them?

Dame

Dame

Channel Surfer

Posted Nov 28, 2011 @ 1:27 AM

Teddy was not laughing at the joke but because she was tickling his feet. He wanted attention and felt left out but I don't think he was being funny.

I thought that too, but isn't he still laughing for a while after she stops tickling him, and he looks at her like she would find it funny too?

little ghost

little ghost

Fanatic

Posted Nov 28, 2011 @ 1:28 AM

Angela's death seemed to me to be a forced plot move, but then the whole second half of this season seems forced to me -- like the writers have thrown out their original plans for the characters and are clearing the decks.

The character arcs feel so abrupt and truncated : Angela's elimination, Richard's disaffection for Jimmy, Jimmy's moral decline. Drama that should have unwound over several seasons crammed into half a season.

I agree. I feel like the second half of the season has just been setting up everything for next season, if that makes sense.

Not that I dislike this season, but somehow it's just not as magnetic as I found season one to be. I care a little less about all of the characters and their developments.

lucindabelle

lucindabelle

Fanatic

Posted Nov 28, 2011 @ 1:29 AM

Not really, but if he's anything like me, the tickling sensation doesn't go away the moment someone stops. He's just a kid, and she's reading in and projecting the father's cruelty onto him.

Dame

Dame

Channel Surfer

Posted Nov 28, 2011 @ 1:32 AM

True, I thought that was a bit of a reach on her part, there. I'll have to watch it again and see.