9-5: "Don't Be Tardy for the Dinner Party" 2011.11.30

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.

152 replies to this topic

TWoP Nikita

TWoP Nikita

Fanatic

Posted Nov 27, 2011 @ 3:23 PM

From Zap2it:

A dish using only ingredients found inside a standard survival kit; the chefs cook for Dallas high society.

SpeciousLogic

SpeciousLogic

Fanatic

Posted Nov 30, 2011 @ 11:02 PM

No cilantro? No raspberries? Just kill me now. Whatís with these people? Not liking their whole demeanor.

Only 2 (real) episodes in San Antonio? Color me disappointed.

Short, choppy sentences? Annoying myself now.

Starting to really dislike Bev. Iíve never been a fan of chefs who arenít considerate of others, and she was blowing off the othersí concerns about taking over the kitchen. This behavior seems to trend with her barking at the meat counters, and doesnít paint a very flattering picture.

That Cigar looked disgusting, and I was surprised to see Chuy go. In a season that so far hasnít had any dominant cheftestant, he was pretty close.

spankydoll

spankydoll

Couch Potato

Posted Nov 30, 2011 @ 11:04 PM

Silly chefs. They should have edged everything in edible gold leaf and stenciled the Neiman Marcus logo on the plate'

MKL122788

MKL122788

Couch Potato

Posted Nov 30, 2011 @ 11:05 PM

Is that three guys down?

Women are ruling the day thus far...

I was super shocked that Chuy was eliminated since he seemed like a frontrunner up to this point.

Ed's jaw was still annoying, if not more annoying than usual.

Nice to see Grayson do well.

noluvnoluck

noluvnoluck

Fanatic

Posted Nov 30, 2011 @ 11:05 PM

Not my Chu Chu! Why?? This is one thing I love and hate about the show, that's it's all about food and nothing else.

Otherwise this episode wasn't as fun as the last one.

mauras

mauras

Couch Potato

Posted Nov 30, 2011 @ 11:06 PM

Oh, John Besh, how I love you.

Sorry, were there other people in this episode? I didn't notice.

</Besh crush> It really seemed like they were going to send Chris Not-Jones home, and his dessert sounded like it was just a total mess. But overcooked salmon is pretty inexcusable. Too bad...no more Chuy's dad stories (plus he really seemed like a talented chef).

I do not like Sarah, and haven't from the beginning, but have we heard anything but raves about her food so far? Seems like she and her smug superiority are going to be around for a while.

Liking Grayson, Heather, and Edward (notwithstanding the weird jaw thing, which is probably some sort of TMJ but makes him look like he's been doing a lot of cocaine) best so far. Everyone else is still kind of amorphous, I'm afraid. Still too many chefs. And the Quickfire was awful tonight. Just pointless.

Edited by mauras, Nov 30, 2011 @ 11:07 PM.

Lamb18

Lamb18

Fanatic

Posted Nov 30, 2011 @ 11:06 PM

Surprising that Chuy went so soon--I thought he would be around for longer. Chris' cigar looked nasty. There are still so many people that when someone mentioned Dakota, I couldn't remember who that was. Still don't trust former-fatty Chris.

It's a good five hours from San Antonio to Dallas. Long drive, a quickfire in the fields, then to go do a challenge=exhausting!

MrsJeter

MrsJeter

Couch Potato

Posted Nov 30, 2011 @ 11:07 PM

Why in the world was the chef with the tough tenderloin not called to judges table?

I also didn't understand why Chris C. was there the client loved the dish, and they never really said that his cupcake sucked. I just got these vibes from Tom that are reminiscent of his interactions with Jeff.

redvelvet

redvelvet

Fanatic

Posted Nov 30, 2011 @ 11:08 PM

Those Dallas couples were just gag worthy. Two of the women were sisters. One had 1200 people at her wedding. The other 800. Who would want to cook for those pompous twits?

spankydoll

spankydoll

Couch Potato

Posted Nov 30, 2011 @ 11:11 PM

Those Dallas couples were just gag worthy. Two of the women were sisters. One had 1200 people at her wedding. The other 800. Who would want to cook for those pompous twits?

No kidding. I was hoping that the failing economy had wiped out the Mc Mansion trash.

I thought that the chefs were god sports about the no bad breath idea though. I would have made a roasted garlic on stinky cheese with an crushed altoid coating.

Edited by spankydoll, Nov 30, 2011 @ 11:23 PM.

isiscloud

isiscloud

Stalker

Posted Nov 30, 2011 @ 11:12 PM

Silly chefs. They should have edged everything in edible gold leaf and stenciled the Neiman Marcus logo on the plate'

Totally. Normally I'm about "the crowd" figuring out which food was good or not, but these people were insufferable.

I liked the idea of the cigar, but execution was a lot off. Should have been smaller and more interesting.

The overcooked salmon was unforgivable, though.

I do not like Sarah, and haven't from the beginning, but have we heard anything but raves about her food so far? Seems like she and her smug superiority are going to be around for a while.

Yeah, unfortunately.

So far I don't have any likes/dislikes except for Sarah.

You know those kitchens never see any action except from the caterer.

mauras

mauras

Couch Potato

Posted Nov 30, 2011 @ 11:13 PM

I thought that the chefs were god sports about the no bad breath idea though. I would have made a roasted garlis on stinky cheese with an crushed altoid coating.

Hee! I would have been sorely tempted to put cilantro in everything.

Lamb18

Lamb18

Fanatic

Posted Nov 30, 2011 @ 11:16 PM

Or Paul could have whipped out the ghost pepper.

actorpull

actorpull

Channel Surfer

Posted Nov 30, 2011 @ 11:26 PM

This episode was really tough to swallow on the same evening that I had to scrape together the $900 for my rent by listing some old stuff on eBay.

basiltherat

basiltherat

Couch Potato

Posted Nov 30, 2011 @ 11:29 PM

NOOOOOO -- not my Chuy !!! I blame the Dallas nouveau-riche for this. And Tom. And Padma's boob-spillage.

Those short, choppy sentences sure are fun.

avecsans

avecsans

Couch Potato

Posted Nov 30, 2011 @ 11:33 PM

The quickfire really grossed me out. Standing in the middle of a field, using canned food, no running water and much licking of the fingers and putting used utensils back in the food? Ugh! Count me out.

Do you suppose the progressive dinner party neighbors watched this tonight, saw what shallow, pretentious, spoiled twits they all are and had epiphanies? And maybe they have decided to tone down the wretched excess just a little? No, probably not.

What the heck did the woman in the off-the shoulder white blouse have on her hands? Were those henna tattoos? WTF?

None of the food really impressed me. All the desserts were too big and too rich.

And because it can't be said enough, please go away, Beverly.

lessa2010

lessa2010

Couch Potato

Posted Nov 30, 2011 @ 11:35 PM

I think the only wife I could handle would be the lifestyle guru. Personally, I think her mentioning the pink was a warning about the other two wives being living Barbies.

OptimusBjork

OptimusBjork

Channel Surfer

Posted Nov 30, 2011 @ 11:38 PM

I loved how Ed totally disregarded that one woman's statement that she hated raspberries. That was ballsy. I thought she would make a comment about his dessert and how she told them she didn't like raspberries, but she didn't.

I don't get the cilantro dislike. I love that stuff!

I still like Grayson and I'm starting to warm to the chef from Houston (I'm a native Houstonian, so I have to root for the home team).

Bev can go away now. I'm not surprised that her little perky/cute act in the first couple of eps was a front for how much of an inconsiderate and rude bitch she is. Ugh.

lessa2010

lessa2010

Couch Potato

Posted Nov 30, 2011 @ 11:40 PM

I have the repeat on behind me and man that third wife treats her husband like a child. 'Oh good, look you ate all your brussell sprouts.' 'Now pace yourself.' (unheard-'you don't want to get a tummy ache.')

nannerbadnanner

nannerbadnanner

Couch Potato

Posted Nov 30, 2011 @ 11:41 PM

I didn't mind the first couple, but the wife from the second couple and the third couple seemed like complete twits.

I thought Gail was hysterical in this episode especially with the, "I don't think I know 1200 people" line. The look on her face when she said it was great.

I love John Besh and agree with Chris C. that he is a beautiful man. He and Tom snarking on the one blonde chick was cracking me up.

None of the food really spoke to me, but I think Paul is definitely a frontrunner. I like how thoughtful he is about everything and appreciated his comment about not cooking for yourself when you do a catering gig. He was one of the few chefs who approached the challenge without complaining.

SpeciousLogic

SpeciousLogic

Fanatic

Posted Nov 30, 2011 @ 11:44 PM

I loved how Ed totally disregarded that one woman's statement that she hated raspberries. That was ballsy. I thought she would make a comment about his dessert and how she told them she didn't like raspberries, but she didn't.

I thought the anti-raspberry woman was the one who was giving the dinner suggestions, which Ed wouldn't have heard since he only talked to the dessert woman. Still would have liked to see dinner-woman's reaction to Ed's dessert.

Echo the cilantro love. My favorite green food (or herb, if you insist).

Highland Park has a reputation for pretentious snobbery, and sadly these people did nothing to ameliorate that perception. [Sometimes Mongo make complete sentence]. I couldn't have handled being around them for very long.

Mars in Gemini

Mars in Gemini

Video Archivist

Posted Nov 30, 2011 @ 11:48 PM

OMG--some of these chefs acted like virgins in a brothel once they saw the ingredients foisted upon them in the quickfire. "Oooh, I don't like that; I would NEVER touch anything like that, ewwww." And I thought I heard a snide remark from someone about not being a pastry chef. Ugh. I wonder how many of them would simply walk off the set of Chopped. Good that they got to work individually this time; I get tired of all the team treachery. It's too bad Chuy was eliminated, as he's one of the few I can stand. Maybe he'll win the kitchen showdown or whatever it's called.

roorooby

roorooby

Couch Potato

Posted Nov 30, 2011 @ 11:52 PM

I've read that it's a genetic tastebuds thing. I've tried to like it -- my mama raised me to have an adventurous palate -- but I am firmly in the "tastes like soap" camp (though I always try to just pick it out if I'm being served some otherwise fabulous Mexican or Southwestern meal).

OMG--some of these chefs acted like virgins in a brothel once they saw the ingredients foisted upon them in the quickfire ... I wonder how many of them would simply walk off the set of Chopped.

They wouldn't half make it out of the Appetizer round.

OptimusBjork

OptimusBjork

Channel Surfer

Posted Nov 30, 2011 @ 11:53 PM

I thought the anti-raspberry woman was the one who was giving the dinner suggestions, which Ed wouldn't have heard since he only talked to the dessert woman. Still would have liked to see dinner-woman's reaction to Ed's dessert.

Was she talking to the entree people? I got that mixed up then. My bad.

chandapanda

chandapanda

Couch Potato

Posted Dec 1, 2011 @ 12:01 AM

Oh, I'm so excited to see Paul win - I have been to his restaurant, and it is one of my favorites in the entire world (and definitely my favorite in the state of Texas!). Uchiko FTW!

Ahem, sorry. I live in Dallas and I unfortunately know some people like they had in the show tonight (well, I guess we all do). They are still alive and well and very much kicking and raking in the dough.

I wish the Highway Patrol guy would've been able to eat that roadside food. Although maybe it was a blessing he didn't have to.

Rozen

Rozen

Loyal Viewer

Posted Dec 1, 2011 @ 12:04 AM

Officially on the 'hope Bev crashes and burns' train, how selfish and unprofessional. The quiet steel in Nyesha's voice every time she told Bev to put something back made me want to apologize. Bev must be very oblivious.

Overcooked meat will get the PYKAG almost 98% of the time. Chuy should at least be grateful that Ripert wasn't there, he would have punted Chuy into cyberpsace for arguing he couldn't get the cheese warm without almost overcooking the fish.

Who was that guy who kept going on and on about his 'inner fat kid'? He clearly has some issues to work out. Probably not helped by his 'friends' admonishments at the dessert course to keep it together.

estellasmom

estellasmom

Loyal Viewer

Posted Dec 1, 2011 @ 12:04 AM

This episode was awful. The quickfire must have been as nasty as it looked if a cracker sandwich and Vienna sausage soup won it all. I actually felt bad for John Besh and Padma. And I think the couples heard Bravo, and got confused and thought they were auditioning for a "Real Housewives of" show. I think all the chefs should have protested en masse and just served bowls full of gummy bears. Chris, Chris TyLor and Chuy must have been truly awful, because that lamb was so overdone it was obvious just looking at it how bad it must have been.

Rocket

Rocket

Couch Potato

Posted Dec 1, 2011 @ 12:05 AM

I liked the idea of the cigar, but execution was a lot off. Should have been smaller and more interesting.

I know the chefs often use recipes from their restaurants, but that was a total Moto redux. It's so well known (at least here in Chicago) that I was actually kind of surprised that he went for it.

CrumbyButtons

CrumbyButtons

Stalker

• Interests:Gardening

Posted Dec 1, 2011 @ 12:07 AM

Cigar looked disgusting

Cigars gross me out more than just about anything. Food that looks like a greasy cigar? I wouldn't be able to take a bite. I didn't even want to look at it on the screen.

I loved when they asked Chris if he was "big? buff?" and he was like "no.... fat."

I liked Chuy and totally thought he'd make it to the end. Bummer.

I have a feeling that Beverly will be the one all the chefs pile on and even if she is thoughtless and rude, I'm not looking forward to that.

hunterhunted

hunterhunted

Fanatic

Posted Dec 1, 2011 @ 12:14 AM

Not a cooking thing, but I was really irritated that they called Chicago Chris "ugly Chris" in comparison to "hot" Chris.