2-6: "Secrets" 2011.11.20

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.

451 replies to this topic

TWoP Tennison

TWoP Tennison

Fanatic

• Interests:Moderating

Posted Nov 20, 2011 @ 4:49 PM

Glenn knows too much for his comfort level; Daryl finds a sign of life and tries to make it back to the farm alive.

This sounds like a description for the last episode...

StillTheTooth

StillTheTooth

Loyal Viewer

Posted Nov 20, 2011 @ 10:00 PM

"Secrets"--Tonight's Episode:

The Good--
Nelly Returns! (As I knew she would). They don't call it horse sense for nothing... ;)
Carl asking to learn how to shoot.
Andrea's apology to Daryl.
Shooting lessons!
Rick finally out of that stupid uniform.
Lori thanking Herschel.
Calling Shane a dick. Hells, yes.
Dale not being as annoying as usual.
Glenn Wackin' a Walker!
Suburb Raids!

The Bad--
"You have a medical condition"--a phrase that would not be so annoying or offensive if it weren't for the continued sexism and misogyny in this damn show. I love Glenn, and they're giving him the worst lines. Cut it out, show!

The Ugly--
Breaking a living chicken's legs! That was horrible, almost as bad as the horse-devouring scene from season one! My heart broke for that poor, poor chicken.
Shane's drill sergeant routine during shootin' lessons, and Andrea's sensitive response to it.
Sophia Sophia. That name means the same to me as Santa Claus, the Easter Bunny and the Great Pumpkin these days. She can't be any more mythological at this point.
Maggie the Schizo.
Dale caught the Bug Eyes from Lori!

The Awesome--
Andrea the Badass. FINALLY.
Daryl. (all 2 seconds of him) Nuff' said.

The OMG:
Shane and Andrea in the car...dude...my mouth fell open. I didn't think Hyundai's had that kind of clearance. ;)

MaxAccess

MaxAccess

Channel Surfer

Posted Nov 20, 2011 @ 10:02 PM

God I wish Dale would close his mouth. His close ups with Shane made me want to throw up my morning after pills.

AimingforYoko

AimingforYoko

Stalker

Posted Nov 20, 2011 @ 10:05 PM

"You have a medical condition"--a phrase that would not be so annoying or offensive if it weren't for the continued sexism and misogyny in this damn show. I love Glenn, and they're giving him the worst lines. Cut it out, show!

What is pregnancy then precisely? He might of worded it badly, but he was basically right. She had to take care of it, one way or the other.
Glad all the secrets are out. You know, except for Shane killing Otis.

ReadIshmael

ReadIshmael

Stalker

The character drama in this episode totally worked for me, I think because they let Lori actually show some gratitude and regret to Glenn, and because the goddamn secrets are finally out, so there's not any false drama anymore, and only the actual awfulness of Lori's situation. And I think Maggie being totally awful to Lori (and calling them "abortion pills," ugh) helped me get on Lori's side a little more. Was kind of annoyed at Rick also being judgmental about Lori trying to get rid of the pregnancy, but he did say he wouldn't ever make her have a baby she didn't want, so that scene came out alright.

Loved everything Andrea, Dale, Shane, and Glenn did this week, as well.

Mystery

Mystery

Fanatic

Why do they keep going into the drugstore and picking things up and putting them in a little blue basket? Why not clean the store out once and for all, instead of making multiple dangerous trips into town? Anyone who needs help is going to find the farmhouse anyway.

Moosejaw

Moosejaw

Video Archivist

Posted Nov 20, 2011 @ 10:06 PM

It's about time SOMEONE warned Glenn about how the others think he's walker bait...

reneejocelyn

reneejocelyn

Fanatic

Posted Nov 20, 2011 @ 10:06 PM

Dude. Andrea full on grabbed Shane's junk on network television.

This show is awesome.

SDcat2009

SDcat2009

Stalker

Posted Nov 20, 2011 @ 10:07 PM

So Lori still sucks. I've finally decided it's the actress. Sorry, even during her big emotional scenes she just has no gravitas. I hate everything about her storyline.

Shane and Andrea, about frakking time they got together. Loved her grabbing Shane's junk. And I am definitely loving Shane more and more.

Glenn is finally smart again. I've decided I completely dislike Maggie. She can get eaten too.

Dale is really stupid to think he can threaten Shane.

I think Shane is maybe actually in love with Rick.

I feel sorry for Rick. That man tries so hard to make everyone happy. He and Shane should just take Carl and go to Ft Benning with Glenn, Daryl, Carol, Andrea, and T-Dog. Lori can stay behind with Dale on Hershel's Farm of Stupidity and have her baby.

Edited by SDcat2009, Nov 20, 2011 @ 10:07 PM.

Blue32

Blue32

Fanatic

I loved that moment when it became clear to Dale just how idiotic it was to confront someone who he knew seriously considered killing his best friend. It took him a few moments, there, and Shane had to spell it out to him, but I had a good laugh when he realized it. Hee hee.

Andrea--at long fricking last--finding her inner badass and blowing away walkers was satisfying. (Less so when she came on to Shane, but she was feeling the adrenaline and she was short on options.)

the continued sexism and misogyny in this damn show

Yeah, that's getting a little grating, although to be fair, that aspect is true to the original comic.

Edited by Blue32, Nov 20, 2011 @ 10:11 PM.

HWavoidance

HWavoidance

Couch Potato

• Interests:Writing, museums, rock concerts, bad puns, good coffee, wine, fangirling ;), Philadelphia, and the increasingly rare good, scripted tv show.

This show even manages to screw up Andrea's badassery by pairing her up with Shane, who makes me vomit in my mouth whenever he's onscreen. And way too much Shalorick for my tastes overall. The best part was Andrea's apology to Daryl and Lori showing actual facial movements and displaying some gratitude and ownership of her actions. Everything else--filler.

Cerealmom

Cerealmom

Channel Surfer

Posted Nov 20, 2011 @ 10:08 PM

Instead of "Secrets" this episode should have been "How Rick got his balls back".I am impressed,and there was a lot of action this week.

Carsy11

Carsy11

Loyal Viewer

Posted Nov 20, 2011 @ 10:08 PM

I was for a split second a bit moved when Glenn asked Maggie what the zombies she be called, and she said "mom", because these zombies were once people... But it quickly passed when Maggie got her little dose of zombie apocalypse reality in the pharmacy. I wonder what she thinks of her father's "no guns" policy now?

SDcat2009

SDcat2009

Stalker

Posted Nov 20, 2011 @ 10:09 PM

What is pregnancy then precisely? He might of worded it badly, but he was basically right. She had to take care of it, one way or the other.

I agree. It is a medical condition.

Raid Maze

Raid Maze

Couch Potato

Man, Dale picks up on everything. For the longest time, it just felt like he was... there. But tonight, he really was on top of things, acting as the conscience of the group.

Glad to see Maggie try to give Glenn some backbone.

casey22

casey22

Fanatic

That blond lady hobbling those poor chickens just like Shane did to Otis. I eat chicken but that made me cringe.

Glad we didn't see Andrea and Shane. That crotch grab was bad enough. My eyes!

Yay to Glenn and Andrea being badasses.

Dale calling Shane out on his shit and Shane proving he is s sociopath. Dale is right that man is a danger to the group.

Next week's preview.

Carol to Daryl. I can't lose you too. awwwwww. I will not ship them. I will no ship them. Ok who am I kidding.

Kaijin

Kaijin

Couch Potato

Posted Nov 20, 2011 @ 10:10 PM

Jeez. I am glad that the women in the old days did not have Laurie's mindset. Does she think people having been having babies in hospitals in perfectly safe bubble worlds forever? And girl, happiness is totally relative. Sure, your kid might find happiness and joy in a hunt for food or being able to fight off zombies. That doesn't make his or her joy any less. At least she was nice enough to thank Glenn for once.

Also, I don't mind Shane being such a jerkass. I find characters being selfish more believable than a character that is always selfless and ready to throw themselves in front of others.

ScampKid

ScampKid

Couch Potato

That was an excellent episode. I complained last week that this show has too much empty space; too many scenes where people walk silently through a forest or extended scenes without any dialog. Every scene this episode felt full, which is great. Not only did it feel full, though, it felt significant, like every scene was meant to move the plot forward in some way. Even without the zombie slaying Escape From Atlanta frenetic pace that Guts had, this episode kept propelling forward, which is excellent.

It's good to see Andrea finally come into her own and it's good to see Maggie being more than a clothes washer or baby carrier. We've all been saying for a while that this show needed tough female characters and I think we have our two candidates. Shane is a despicable character, but I want him to stick around because I love to hate him and I think he's very much a cautionary tale for what these people could become if they lose their humanity. Dale continues to rise on my list of favourite characters. I love how level-headed he is in times of crisis, unlike pretty much everybody else on this show. I love that he can see through Shane's bullshit and I love that he had the stones to challenge Shane, who is quite clearly becoming unhinged.

Good show, show!

KellyintheStL

KellyintheStL

Just Tuned In

What a horrible, horrible episode...

Oh yes, let's look for Sophia, so we can get ourselves in dangerous situations, waste precious ammo, but it gives us a reason to get away from the group to bump uglies so let's have at it! And plenty of time to have one on one conversations with INSANELY unreasonable women...

If I was on that farm, I'd free the zombies from Herschel's Ho Down just to put me and everyone else out of our misery! More walkie and less talkie... before I give up on you.

BuddhaBelly

BuddhaBelly

Fanatic

Posted Nov 20, 2011 @ 10:11 PM

Wait, so Andrea and Shane got busy in the car? I saw when she cupped him but then got distracted by people walking in. Did love her going total bad ass. She was shook up for a moment but pulled it together when it counted.

I couldn't watch them break the chicken's leg.

Loved that Rick wasn't stupid and suspected what was going on. Well, Lori you got what you wanted he yelled at you dumb ass. It looks nuts next week with Shane telling Lori that Rick isn't built for this world. He may not be right now but he's getting there.

Smartest idea ever to teach Carl how to shoot.

Are they going there with Carol and Darryl? I love the care she shows him and that was a good scene with him and Andrea.

Maggie doesn't make any sense as a character. I don't know what she wants. Her family keeps zombies in the barn and she gets pissy when one attacks her, what does she expect to happen?

Lori not knowing Hershel wanted them off his land doesn't ring true at all. The man has made himself clear from jump, however, I'm sure there are some empty properties near by that they can fortify. Why are they acting like Hershel's farm is the only shelter they can find?

I like Shane more when he's being evil. That scene with Dale was compelling bc I wouldn't have been surprised if she shot him right then and there.

Edited by BuddhaBelly, Nov 20, 2011 @ 10:15 PM.

SDcat2009

SDcat2009

Stalker

Posted Nov 20, 2011 @ 10:12 PM

Dale calling Shane out on his shit and Shane proving he is s sociopath. Dale is right that man is a danger to the group.

IMO Dale only said something to Shane because he was jealous about Andrea. And was having a pissing contest over her.

Cerealmom

Cerealmom

Channel Surfer

Posted Nov 20, 2011 @ 10:12 PM

Dude. Andrea full on grabbed Shane's junk on network television.

The universal signal for hey lets get it on!

Kaijin

Kaijin

Couch Potato

Posted Nov 20, 2011 @ 10:14 PM

Oh yes, let's look for Sophia, so we can get ourselves in dangerous situations, waste precious ammo, but it gives us a reason to get away from the group to bump uglies so let's have at it!

I don't understand why they just don't run around shouting for her. It can't be so they don't attract walkers. If that was the reason, Shane shouldn't go around kicking down doors. And honestly, so what if you attract them with your yelling? If you are searching as good as you should be, you will come up on them eventually (potentially with the walker sneaking up on you).

ScampKid

ScampKid

Couch Potato

Posted Nov 20, 2011 @ 10:16 PM

Maggie doesn't make any sense as a character. I don't know what she wants. Her family keeps zombies in the barn and she gets pissy when one attacks her, what does she expect to happen?

I think that's the point. I think they've been setting Maggie up to be at odds with her family (or at least her father) for a couple episodes now and I think being attacked by the walker was supposed to be a wake-up call for her, to show her just what these things are.

I like how they're setting Rick's group up as one way to survive and Hershel's group up as another and having Maggie in the middle, unsure of which way is right and how she, personally, wants to survive. I'm really quite interested to see how Maggie's story plays out.

mustbekarma

mustbekarma

Fanatic

Posted Nov 20, 2011 @ 10:17 PM

Breaking a living chicken's legs! That was horrible, almost as bad as the horse-devouring scene from season one! My heart broke for that poor, poor chicken.

And to feed them to Walkers. I get that to Herschel and Maggie, they are "family," but they're dead. I wonder how many of them have to get eaten before they change their tune.

The character drama in this episode totally worked for me, I think because they let Lori actually show some gratitude and regret to Glenn, and because the goddamn secrets are finally out, so there's not any false drama anymore, and only the actual awfulness of Lori's situation. And I think Maggie being totally awful to Lori (and calling them "abortion pills," ugh) helped me get on Lori's side a little more. Was kind of annoyed at Rick also being judgmental about Lori trying to get rid of the pregnancy, but he did say he wouldn't ever make her have a baby she didn't want, so that scene came out alright.

I thought that was handled really well, except for the stupid Maggie part, but that was realistic. I applaud the intelligence of people having serious doubts about bringing a child into a zombie apocalypse. The fact that Maggie can't see that, and thinks of that her mom is still in the walker somehow, shows just show naive Maggie is. Herschel isn't doing any of his people any favors.

I felt so badly for Rick and Lori. They want that baby, but the reality of their lives is kicking them in the teeth. And the secrets are out in the open, and Rick didn't get pissed at Lori for being with Shane. He got the whole "they thought I was dead and the world had gone to shit" idea pretty quickly.

casey22

casey22

Fanatic

Posted Nov 20, 2011 @ 10:17 PM

Maybe he was jealous but he is right. Shane next week wants to take Rick down and be alpha dog. Alpha dogs can't have competition. Shane pretty much proved anyone who gets in his way is expendable. Rick want Shane there is he knew he was thinking of killing him? Or Lor or Carl? Would they want him around if they knew what he did to Otis? Doubtful.

Lila82

Lila82

Fanatic

Posted Nov 20, 2011 @ 10:21 PM

I cannot believe these people are still looking for Sophia. If even her mother believes it's a lost cause, it's time to pick up shop and go home.

Awww, Maggie. I liked her pep talk to Glenn, but he is not leader material. If he can't hold onto something as inconsequential as Lori's pregnancy, there's no way he should be leading people.

I get Andrea's logic: she almost died and Shane kind of gets her and he lets her unleash her inner badass and he's tall and broad and pretty good looking, but still...he might not bathe regularly, but I'd hold out forever for the one who also has big muscles and inner badassery but also a brain and a moral compass. I don't get these ladies. Shane over Daryl? Really?

I wish Lori would listen to Dale because joy is relative. Her fears made me think of "Room," a book that's horrifying in premise but lovely and tender and uplifting in execution. It's not the circumstances that make life worthwhile, but the people that make those moments worth living. Even in the midst of a zombie apocalypse, her child would have two loving parents and a caring sibling and other adults to nurture, protect, and love the baby. That's so much more than so many children have amid civilization. And why Carl is still normal, upbeat kids. Yes, his life is filled with superficial fear, but he has the things he really needs in the people around him.

I do wish we saw more of those moments though. Right now, everyone is living on a farm without fear of attack. Why are they not enjoying themselves more?

Still, I liked how they handled her situation. I loved that Glenn didn't judge her choice, but reminded her that Rick should be in on the situation as well. I like how she owned her actions and mistakes, took responsibility for all the ways she screwed up, but also defended her choices. She's never been so mature before. I can tolerate her if she stays like this.

ETA:

Props to Shane: it's the end of the world and the man has still managed to get laid on a regular basis.

Edited by Lila82, Nov 20, 2011 @ 10:23 PM.

Kaijin

Kaijin

Couch Potato

Posted Nov 20, 2011 @ 10:22 PM

I get Andrea's logic: she almost died and Shane kind of gets her and he lets her unleash her inner badass and he's tall and broad and pretty good looking

I just hope they used a condom.

casey22

casey22

Fanatic

Posted Nov 20, 2011 @ 10:23 PM

Shane wants to be leader and Rick is in the way. He's undermining his authority and talking about him behind his back. Saying he doesn't have the balls to lead the group. Shane is supposed to be Rick's friend? Pffffffffffffft. Sure.

SDcat2009

SDcat2009

Stalker

Posted Nov 20, 2011 @ 10:24 PM

just hope they used a condom.

I'm thinking maybe they didn't even do it, but that Andrea just did, well, that other thing :)