2011 American Music Awards

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.

75 replies to this topic

the macguffin

the macguffin

Couch Potato

Posted Nov 21, 2011 @ 6:55 AM

I love that he wore the pants & vest from the fye performance while his boyfriend wore the gold tie and red carpet jewelry.

Huh?
I was cracking up that the male 'pop rock' category consisted of Bieber, Pitbull and Bruno Mars. Where's the 'rock' part, show?
I hope Fiat goes out of business, or at least that whoever's in charge gets booted by the shareholders when this brilliant marketing strategy has zero effect on sales.
That finale looked like a giant fraternity initiation party.
Kind of loved Rihanna beating out Chris Brown in that one category.
I must have missed where T.Swift had a lot of hits last year, why did she win all those awards?
And wow, how the mighty have fallen. Gaga got nada, eh?

sidewinder76

sidewinder76

Loyal Viewer

Posted Nov 21, 2011 @ 8:23 AM

It was funny that they shown flashbacks to Tina Turner, Janet, Mariah, Whitney, and Celine during the telecast. Guess, to show what real talent was in the last 30 years.

THIS. Oh how I miss the days when Janet would tear up that AMA stage. These new girls could only wish.

LMFAO are lucky they are Berry Gordy's son and grandson. That is all.

J-Lo did her usual schtick. She was okay. I loved her acceptance speech. It's always fun to see Pitbull onstage in the supertight suit pants. Why he must be on everyone's song, though, is an annoying anomaly (particularly when he never adds anything special to the song).

Add me to the "Oh please, Taylor Swift, just cut the feigning surpise theatrics when you win" club. It is sooo annoying, and transparent.

Beiber--another anomaly. What on earth does this kid do to warrant the craze that surrounds him? I just don't get it.

Love Kelly Clarkson's new song, but why she CMA'd it up for the AMAs is beyond me. It's good to do something different, but...

If I never hear "Moves Like Jagger" again, it'll be too soon. I'm always up for seeing sexy Adam Levine prance and dance across a stage (let's face it, Maroon 5 is acutally Adam Levine plus four other guys), but that song is just...overplayed. And Christina really does need to check a mirror before she leaves the house these days. Her stylist needs to be fired, ASAP.

ROBIN THICKE! Talk about sexy! I wish he'd have performed his new song. It was good seeing him.

How cute, Matthew and Jennifer Morrison presented together, but they're not related nor are they married. I always think it's cool and dorky at the same time whenever actors present on a music awards show.

Will.I.Am. The space-age/blacklight schtick is over and done, son. Let's change it up a bit.

I called it with Chris Brown. I knew he couldn't just come out and sing (live) a ballad and let it be. He had to break out the choreography/special effects-laden performance for the second half. The first half was good enough on it's own, and would have shown him to be versatile. Oh, well.

Between Katy Perry and Nicki Minaj, I don't know who wants to out-Gaga Lady Gaga more. Color me shocked that Lady G. won nothing last night.

I like Drake, but I, too, can't not see Jimmy from Degrassi when I watch him perform.

Bruno Mars has some appeal, I guess, but I just hope he's left the coke (sniff-sniff) alone.

Overall, music is sadly in the dulldrums, and this show just further proved it.

Edited by sidewinder76, Nov 21, 2011 @ 8:30 AM.

jb724

jb724

Couch Potato

Posted Nov 21, 2011 @ 9:16 AM

Taylor Swift beating out Adele is a joke! Come Grammy time that won't be the case. I don't dislike Swift but all her songs sound exactly alike. And her voice is meh! And I agree 100% about her always acting SO surprised that she won. Enough already!

And why did J-Lo perform twice? She only had one 'hit' song this year, that to me was her repeating the same damn line over and over and over. Her voice isn't good enough to warrant a double appearance when she shouldn't have even had one. And the Fiat...that was in very poor taste.

I can't stand Drake's voice and rap (if that's what its called that he does). And like the other poster said, he's Jimmy from Degrassi, and he always will be.

Christina...UGH! Gaining weight happens to most of us, so it is what it is, but she seriously needed to dress in something a tad more flattering. She looked like she was about to pop out a kid, is she preggers?

I get why Katy Perry did the whole acoustic thing, I'm sure she's trying to prove she can in fact sing 'live' but I hate when they change up songs for award shows. My kid was disappointed that she didn't sing it the way it sounds on the radio.

And can Bieber just go away now? I know I'm too old to get his appeal but did we really need to see him dancing with LMFAO?

nicole8705

nicole8705

Couch Potato

Posted Nov 21, 2011 @ 11:51 AM

Taylor Swift beating out Adele is a joke! Come Grammy time that won't be the case. I don't dislike Swift but all her songs sound exactly alike. And her voice is meh! And I agree 100% about her always acting SO surprised that she won. Enough already!

I am confused to how she was even nominated. I can't remember her putting out any songs or having anything on the radio this year. Nothing that would qualify her as Artist of the Year, especially up against Adele. I believe her surprise act because I think even she knows she had no business winning. I mean really, she beat out Adele with the amount of radio play "Rolling in the Deep" and "Someone Like You" had. That is the definition of ridiculous.

jch323

jch323

Couch Potato

Posted Nov 21, 2011 @ 12:31 PM

I am confused to how she was even nominated. I can't remember her putting out any songs or having anything on the radio this year. Nothing that would qualify her as Artist of the Year, especially up against Adele. I believe her surprise act because I think even she knows she had no business winning. I mean really, she beat out Adele with the amount of radio play "Rolling in the Deep" and "Someone Like You" had. That is the definition of ridiculous.

Whether you like her or not, she does have one of the hugest albums of the year (5 million worldwide) and one of the biggest grossing tours. And whether it's country or pop, she always seems to be on the radio. Plus, she has an army of teenage girls on her side, which really comes into play on fan voted award shows like the AMAs.

Edited by jch323, Nov 21, 2011 @ 12:42 PM.

commenter

commenter

Couch Potato

Posted Nov 21, 2011 @ 1:08 PM

Mary J and Kelly sound amazing, but I wished Kelly had premier her second single since I like that song more.

A lot of people are saying that, and that they wish Kelly hadn't changed the song she did do, but as someone who had heard neither of her new songs before, I loved what she did last night. I also loved her look, the dancers and their outfits and moves, everything. Hands down, the best performance all night by far. I'm glad I recorded it.

I started to record Mary J too and had looked forward to her song, but halfway through, I stopped and erased what I had already recorded. Not my favorite Mary performance.

It's always fun to see Pitbull onstage in the supertight suit pants. Why he must be on everyone's song, though, is an annoying anomaly (particularly when he never adds anything special to the song).

They hyped him so much, and I was waiting to see what was so great, and then ... nothing.

Oh how I miss the days when Janet would tear up that AMA stage. These new girls could only wish.

Actually, I got a bone to pick with that ... I sorta blame Janet for a lot of the breathy, whispery vocals being sung inaudibly amidst mad prancing about a stage. I was never a Janet fan, and thought she was a poor imitation of the great MJ, and I see her in the same category as many of today's performers. Sorry. The other divas in the flashbacks, yes. Great singers, all. (Tina, Mariah, Whitney etc.)

And why did J-Lo perform twice? ... Her voice isn't good enough to warrant a double appearance when she shouldn't have even had one.

Agreed. And not to be super catty, but that hair-pulled-back-tightly look does not suit her IMO. She had an awkward bun during her acceptance speech and a tight ponytail while performing with will.i.am and neither suited her face, I thought. It looked very angular.

I was cracking up that the male 'pop rock' category consisted of Bieber, Pitbull and Bruno Mars. Where's the 'rock' part, show?

They keep doing that. I thought this year was possibly a bit better, with some of the nominees in the various pop/rock categories playing some soft rock.

Gaga got nada, eh?

Bieber neither.

I believe her surprise act because I think even she knows she had no business winning.

I also sometimes think Taylor Swift plays up the surprise act because she knows she doesn't deserve to win, and she feels that at least if she acts humble/shocked about it, people won't be as mad as they would/should/could be otherwise!

Edited by commenter, Nov 21, 2011 @ 1:12 PM.

Billie Jean

Billie Jean

Couch Potato

Posted Nov 21, 2011 @ 1:18 PM

Sorry JLo, Britney did the naked suit/gyrating on the floor thing better 10 years ago. Plus, she was only 17 then. Being 40+ and doing it for attention? Pathetic.

hlmac17

hlmac17

Couch Potato

Posted Nov 21, 2011 @ 1:42 PM

Huh?

Adam likes recycles of his own clothing. I doubt he owns 2 sparkley suits with a double breasted vest. pic of fye performance in '09 pic from '09 red carpet with jewelry. pic of Adam & Sauli in '11 Adam in same '09 performance vest, pants & Sauli in same "09 gold tie & red carpet jewelry.

Edited by hlmac17, Nov 21, 2011 @ 1:49 PM.

pandagirl

pandagirl

Couch Potato

Posted Nov 21, 2011 @ 1:45 PM

Every time I hear that silly "On the Floor" song I think: Please get up off the floor right now, JLo. (And yes, I KNOW she's singing about a dance floor, but still...)

OaklandGirl

OaklandGirl

Fanatic

Posted Nov 21, 2011 @ 4:33 PM

LMFAO are lucky they are Berry Gordy's son and grandson. That is all.

Very true. If I were Berry Gordy, I would not want people to know I was related to them, though.

DMike

DMike

Fanatic

Posted Nov 21, 2011 @ 9:07 PM

He managed to live through Rockwell well enough, but here's hoping LMFAO fade away just as quickly anyway.

sidewinder76

sidewinder76

Loyal Viewer

Posted Nov 21, 2011 @ 9:20 PM

Actually, I got a bone to pick with that ... I sorta blame Janet for a lot of the breathy, whispery vocals being sung inaudibly amidst mad prancing about a stage. I was never a Janet fan, and thought she was a poor imitation of the great MJ, and I see her in the same category as many of today's performers. Sorry. The other divas in the flashbacks, yes. Great singers, all. (Tina, Mariah, Whitney etc.)

The other divas in the flashback are great singers? Is that monotone dreck Madonna was doing considered singing? LOL. Sure, Janet never had powerhouse singing chops, but she's always done good with what she has. There are some acapellas of her on Youtube (one performance from the Rosie O'Donnell show comes to mind), where her harmonies are on point. She was never a wailer. She was also no poor imitation of her brother. He inspired her, sure, but her videos are legendary and stand on their own merit for their creative and elaborate choreography and imagery. She was definately the blueprint for J-Lo, Britney, Ciara, Kelly Rowland, et. al. She also gives you a show. When they showed Mariah Carey singing "Fantasy", I LOL'd at her attempt to dance. Mariah can sang, but the woman has the stage presence of a throw pillow.

I just wish that music today was good enough to get me to care one way or another. I do like some of the new artists, but most of that stuff last night was just pure dreck.

Edited by sidewinder76, Nov 21, 2011 @ 9:24 PM.

21bored

21bored

Couch Potato

Posted Nov 23, 2011 @ 1:00 AM

Christina looked and sounded like shit. Her verse on MLJ isn't all that inspired -- it's unusually hushed for her, and it seems like it was tacked on after the song was already finished -- but jeez, she looks bad. That's not age weight or baby weight; that's "Mommy's hard-drinking, late-night-partying is starting to show" weight. She still didn't look as shitty as she did on the Michael Jackson tribute concert thing, but damn. Whoever said she now looks like Miss Piggy is right.

livinggreen

livinggreen

Fanatic

Posted Nov 23, 2011 @ 9:24 AM

Christina is just waiting for a call from Jenny Craig/Nutrisystem to be their next celebrity spokeperson.

little ghost

little ghost

Fanatic

Posted Nov 23, 2011 @ 9:59 AM

Whoever said she now looks like Miss Piggy is right.

Can we not insult Miss Piggy? She has done nothing to deserve being compared to Christina!

commenter

commenter

Couch Potato

Posted Nov 23, 2011 @ 12:29 PM

It was funny that they shown flashbacks to Tina Turner, Janet, Mariah, Whitney, and Celine during the telecast. Guess, to show what real talent was in the last 30 years.

Apart from Janet, who I'm not a fan of, I was noting those same clips and making the same observation about the quality of their music and vocals compared to so much of the stuff out there today.

THIS. Oh how I miss the days when Janet would tear up that AMA stage. These new girls could only wish.

The other divas in the flashback are great singers? Is that monotone dreck Madonna was doing considered singing? LOL. Sure, Janet never had powerhouse singing chops, but she's always done good with what she has. There are some acapellas of her on Youtube (one performance from the Rosie O'Donnell show comes to mind), where her harmonies are on point. She was never a wailer. She was also no poor imitation of her brother. He inspired her, sure, but her videos are legendary and stand on their own merit for their creative and elaborate choreography and imagery. She was definately the blueprint for J-Lo, Britney, Ciara, Kelly Rowland, et. al. She also gives you a show. When they showed Mariah Carey singing "Fantasy", I LOL'd at her attempt to dance. Mariah can sang, but the woman has the stage presence of a throw pillow.

After a post mentioned the 5 divas listed at the top, when I said I was not a Janet fan but the other divas were great singers, I was mostly thinking of the 4 mentioned already (Tina, Mariah, Whitney, Celine). I had forgotten Madonna was in that flashback bit on TV (and anyone else who might have been in it). I'm no fan of Madonna's either.

Several of those you mentioned as following Janet's blueprint and giving a show are either artists who fall into a similar category as Janet for me, or ones I don't know much, possibly because what I've heard from them hasn't caught my attention.

I don't care how someone dances or if they dance at all, and I hardly ever watch music videos. I'd prefer someone standing or sitting still and singing great over someone with slightly less great vocals moving on stage. My main criterion is how someone sounds -- on the radio, on an audio recording, in concert.

Once I like/love someone's music and vocals (and instrument playing, if they play any), other aspects of their performances can be a plus. But until then, those other things carry little or no weight for me. Others' opinions will vary.

(It so happens that even if she had a great voice, many of Janet's songs that I know don't appeal to me musically either, vocals aside.)

Edited by commenter, Nov 23, 2011 @ 12:37 PM.