13-20: 2011.11.22

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.

156 replies to this topic

TWoP Pembleton

TWoP Pembleton

Stalker

• Interests:Also known as Kim, one of your friendly recappers

Posted Nov 20, 2011 @ 1:17 PM

The anticipation builds and the competition continues for the two-hour Season Finale on TUESDAY, NOVEMBER 22 (9:00-11:00 p.m., ET), as the three finalists perform their favorite dance of the season. The two couples with the highest combined fan votes and judges' scores will then go on to perform the Instant Samba to determine who will reign as champions of "Dancing with the Stars" and take home the coveted mirror ball trophy. Also on Tuesday, each of this season's 12 couples returns to the dance floor for a special performance.

Please don't post a one or two word immediate reaction. Have mercy on the people who won't be able to read this thread right away, and don't make them scroll through pages and pages of "Yay!!!!" or "Booooo!!!!" to get to some actual substantive content. There are no prizes for being the first to post, so take your time and come up with something worth reading.

Also, if anyone posts that, due to the results, they are never watching the show again, know that I'm taking your name and I'll make sure you don't post again next season. Not really, but that bugs me. Just a pet peeve.

mtlchickie

mtlchickie

Stalker

Posted Nov 22, 2011 @ 11:00 PM

As soon as Ricki was called 3rd, I didn't really care who won because I liked both finalists. Since I NEVER watch any show about a Kardashian (and don't plan to) and never heard of JR before this show, they both had blank slates with me. Congrats to JR and Karina (FINALLY!) but kudos to Rob and Cheryl!

Carson's "well there is still the after party" quip just confirms that the show needs him back in some capacity from now on. If it's a co-host, even better.

Edited by mtlchickie, Nov 22, 2011 @ 11:02 PM.

bandita

bandita

Video Archivist

Posted Nov 22, 2011 @ 11:03 PM

I think this may be the first time that Tom was momentarily speechless as Nancy Grace jokingly berated him. I wonder if he was trying to process if it was a joke.

I yelled so loud when Golden Boy was rejected that my dog started barking like crazy. Good to see someone else win.
Cheryl made some interesting comments about Kardashian - the most improved - the proudest she has ever been - will see him at least
once a week, etc.

Surprised that macho Val agreed to dance with Carson like that.

Glad Jr and Karina got a win. Onto the next season.

Fraoch

Fraoch

Fanatic

Carson's dance to "Vogue" was one of my favorite things EVER on this show. I love that he got a freestyle without making it to the finals.

Sunshine55

Sunshine55

Couch Potato

YEEEESSS! I'm so glad that JR won. When they announced his name, I screamed, freaking out my poor cat who was sitting on my lap.
That said, I think the finishing order was just right. Rob just seemed so happy; I like him so much better than I thought I would at the beginning of the season.
And I loved JR and Karina's jive, not as crazy about the instant samba. Ricki and Derek's tango, I thought, was stellar, much better than the first time around.

Pug Mom

Pug Mom

Channel Surfer

Congratulations to JR and Karina. It was a delight to get to know him this season as I had never heard of him before. I'm also very happy for Karina. She looked so genuinely happy.

Was it just my imagination that they only showed the bare minimum of Max and Hope footage compared to other contestants?

tip and fall

tip and fall

Stalker

Yayyyyyyy, JR and Karina! And god bless the Kardashians for shunting Dicki into third place.

I'm glad that we got to see Carson and Anna do a pseudo-freestyle, and that he got to live his dream of dancing with ah Chmerkovskiy, even though it was only Val. Most entertaining dance of the night!

Carson's "well there is still the after party" quip just confirms that the show needs him back in some capacity from now on.

Didn't Tom seem to be momentarily at a loss for words there as well? His "yes, we have a wrap party" kinda stumbled out.

torreador

torreador

Couch Potato

Firstly...when Tom said they were totalling things up on their mirror ball abacus..... damn!! I want one of those!!

Favourite performances of the non-finalists: David (damn, I really like watching him dance), Carson (there's always the afterparty) and yes, Chaz for having fun with Buddy.

I thought Derek was classy lifting up JR and ditto Mark/Karina. All in all, a satisfying ending to a not always satisfying season.

superpole2000

superpole2000

Fanatic

Karina's reaction, the look of joy and relief, after the win was the highlight for me.

Derek had such lovely things to say about his partner. He has a bit of an ego, but the guy always seems to say the right thing. I also loved how genuinely nice David Arquette seemed all season.

Len's "Alright, bugger off, let's bring out the next dancers" comment was hilarious.

Edited by superpole2000, Nov 22, 2011 @ 11:04 PM.

DoleWhip

DoleWhip

Couch Potato

Wow. I actually enjoyed the finale. Ricki got to perform my favorite dance of the season again, and when she was eliminated, she held it together and seemed very happy for the other two. Neither of the sambas were very good IMO, but Iím happy that Karina finally won. It was well deserved.

Surprisingly, my favorite part of the finale was seeing the eliminated contestants. I didnít like many of them during the season, but they all gave their all and delivered fun routines that actually werenít terrible (even Chaz and Carson). Glad Kristin got to perform a new routine and Chynna got to redeem herself; I thought either shouldíve been in the finale instead of Rob. And Davidís and Nancyís routines really put a smile on my face.

oakgal

oakgal

Stalker

• Interests:Scrabble, modern design, crosswords, collecting handbags, reading mysteries and procrastinating.

Posted Nov 22, 2011 @ 11:04 PM

Thank goodness. I was really worried when the judges punked out and gave the same score for the Samba (wimps!). Congratulations to JR and Karina. Well deserved. Legitimately a great dancer and a cool person. Really happy for Karina, she worked her ass off this season. Kudos!

It was terrific to see Nancy and Tristan revisit their memorable SpamTrot. I really loved that dance. Also great to see David and Kym--they've been missed terribly.

CrumbyButtons

CrumbyButtons

Stalker

• Interests:Gardening

Loved watching Carson vogue (and get to dance with the male pros!) - loved watching Chaz having hella fun (the dad was fun, too!) - loved the results!

Was that David wiping confetti off of JR's head? I thought that was sweet.

Nannav

Nannav

Couch Potato

I am so thrilled that the right person won this year. Congrats to JR and Karina!! His voting base must have been huge to overtake the Kardashian block.

I loved JR and Karina's dances tonight. It was good to see happy, smiling JR back and having fun.

On the other hand, I was equally thrilled that the Golden Boy went out third. He has enough trophies already. It is about time that Karina got one.

roydenlea

roydenlea

Video Archivist

I know it's corny and probably was a foregone conclusion, but I'm so happy for JR. And very happy for Karina. I wish JR all the best and hope that this show will help his career.

Rob Kardashian has proven that he doesn't need his loathsome family. I hope for his sake he'll take his success here and free himself from that cesspool.

QueenL

QueenL

Fanatic

Posted Nov 22, 2011 @ 11:05 PM

JR's Samba rolls were some of the best I've ever seen on this show. I feel like it's probably harder slower, because it's easier to cheat your way through it a little bit when they're fast. Having said that, JR seemed tentative for much of the dance. I think that the four dances were probably too much, especially since most of his dances were high energy and complicated (which is one of the reasons why the Jive was probably a bad choice).

It annoyed me that Rob's Samba was pretty much an exact re-do of his original Samba. His technique was pretty good, though.

Carrie-Ann scared the crap out of me with the "victory dance" comment. I felt that she was giving it away that Rob had won, and it looked to me like Tom was irritated with her for doing so.

Who was the guy at the beginning of Kristin & Mark's routine? I missed his name. I like when the stars and the pros decide to do new routines. I liked that last year (or maybe it was a few years ago) too.

I actually couldn't take my eyes off of Val during Carson's routine. He had such a nice movement quality. He really is a great dancer. Good sport as well, and that goes for all of them. See, the troupe can be good for something! lol.

Anyway, just like with JR's freestyle, half the fun was seeing the celebs in the crowd have fun and dance along too.

As for David Arquette's dance, that was the best he's ever danced, in my opinion.

I thought that Derek's words about Ricki in the video package were very thoughtful, sensitive, and classy. Most of all, it was insightful. As much as Ricki and the show annoyed us with the story-lining, I don't think that Ricki was purposely playing it up or trying to be a drama queen. She really was that insecure. I think it's admirable that she did as well as she did, considering all of that.

Thank God JR won. I've never cared about improvement arc or any of that crap. All that does is penalize people for taking it seriously enough, and providing quality right from the start. Plus, I think that Rob would have been the winner with the least "wow" routines out of any winner. I mean, seriously, how many memorable routines did he have? JR had quite a few (The 2nd Waltz, the Rumba, the Jive, maybe the Samba). I tend to like my winners to be the best dancers who were challenged the most, and who provided quite a few re-watchable routines.

I didn't realize just how much I wanted JR to win until right before it was announced.

Congrats to him, and congrats to Karina. If she didn't win with him after all of that, I don't know how the hell she could win.

Edited by QueenL, Nov 23, 2011 @ 12:32 AM.

swirl135

swirl135

Couch Potato

I really enjoyed all the contestants coming back and doing new dances. Lacey's dad dancing with Chaz was cute. I really enjoy David and missed him the last few weeks. Carson's dance was weird, but entertaining.

JR did a great job throughout the season and I was happy to see him win. It was great to see Karina finally win as well. I didn't realize how much I wanted JR to win until it was down to him and Rob. Congrats to JR and Karina. A well deserved win.

CruiseDiva

CruiseDiva

Loyal Viewer

Yes. Yes. YES!!! So happy for JR & Karina. Well deserved!

DuckyinKy

DuckyinKy

Fanatic

Posted Nov 22, 2011 @ 11:06 PM

This was such a feel good night! I loved every second of it.

And Rob, I liked you more than I ever figured I would. And you can always say you lasted longer in the competition than your sister's marriage. Ba-da-boom.

MerBear

MerBear

Couch Potato

First, I have to say that I am sooooooo proud for Rob -- and I cannot stand any of those Kardashian women for even one second -- he has truly blossomed and I hope is never the same old "in the shadow" Kardashian.

But! I am thrilled that J.R. won. He has always had my heart and I think he's a fabulous, fun dancer. And I could pop, I'm so happy for Karina.

Great finale -- lots of fun and it moved swiftly.

Only thing -- those bogus 10s in the last dance -- I just don't think that entire dance is necessary.

I think it's neat how close this ragtag team of celebs has become. They seem to be so tight and fond of each other (except for Hope perhaps).

CPP83

CPP83

Fanatic

This show was one hour and fifty-five minutes too long, but thank goodness it was worth it in the end.

Whoo! So happy for J.R., this has to be such a massive self confidence boost for him, as if he needed it. I hope he can use the exposure from the show as a springboard for his career.

David and Kim's Grease group dance was maybe the best group dance of the whole season, and doesn't that say something about the quality of the dances. But it was so full of joy and love and sunshine, I wish he could have come in second just for that alone.

Boudreau

Boudreau

Channel Surfer

NGL, I was disappointed by that ending. I did call it yesterday though.

Although I do think Rob danced better than JR tonight, they both seemed really nervous. Surprisingly, I thought the best dance of the night was Ricki and Derek's tango.

sintin

sintin

Fanatic

Posted Nov 22, 2011 @ 11:07 PM

Woo! I'm so happy for JR, and especially for Karina. They deserved it.

I was pretty gleeful when Dicki had to settle for third place. Poor Ricki didn't even get to come in second to the war hero. I'm sure TPTB will throw a ringer at the Golden Boy next season to make up for denying him, I don't even care.

I loved seeing Carson and Anna again, though I too would have preferred Maks (or Jonathan!) in place of Teddy.

tolliveramc

tolliveramc

Loyal Viewer

Woo-hoo!! Agree that no matter who of the last two won, I'd have been OK with it. But I'm still glad it was JR.

That last hour was awesome. Chynna was excellent, David/Kym were fun, the Carson troupe was hilarious, Buddy made a good foil for Chaz, and Nancy/Tristan's reprise was sweet. Lots of win there. Did Hope hit a spotlight with her foot early in their quickstep? I'd hate to think she injured herself in the finale...

Truly, JR's dances this week (even the freestyle) seemed a lot less polished than most of his performances this season. I don't think he ever truly came back from the ankle injury. I think if there had been another week or two to go, Rob/Cheryl would have completed a journey to the top. But I'm fine with this ending. Glad to see Karina get her MBT. And good sport, Derek, for lifting JR the same way he has Mark and/or Mark's partner in previous victories.

Overall, the season was meh. But I liked tonight's finale a lot!

BakerGirl

BakerGirl

Channel Surfer

And of course Spats and Derrick had to get their heads between the winners legs. Bleck!

So happy for Karina and JR! And Rob really did a great job and hopefully he will get away from those shrews he is related to and do something other than be on TV with his life.

You could tell everyone was super tired. That was way too many dances to throw at them in one week.

All in all I thought the returning stars all actually did pretty well in their return dances. Good for Chynna for braving that dance again. It's too bad she couldn't have pulled it together the first time. She may have made the final 3.

Oh, and please bring back Carson in a small role next season. He brings the funny. (And I think he made Bwak Bwak up her game a bit!)

At least this time JR was lifted up first instead of being a mere afterthought.

True, very true.

Edited by BakerGirl, Nov 22, 2011 @ 11:15 PM.

chandapanda

chandapanda

Couch Potato

Posted Nov 22, 2011 @ 11:08 PM

The first hour dragged so very, very much for me. But the second hour made it up to me. I enjoyed Carson's Vogue dance, but I enjoyed David and Kym's full-out Broadway Grease number so very much. It's the dance of the night, for me. Very happy that Chynna got to re-do that dance, and well. It was very pretty.

The second hour was also a "what if" kind of awakening - seeing Kristin/Mark (who I honestly did not miss AT ALL) were better than I remembered, and Chynna/Tony working it so well, Carson and David exuding such joy and pretty good (Carson) to very good (David) dancing. Nancy and Tristan - swoon! Meh on Maks and Hope (dang, I was SO CLOSE to getting my Carson and Maks dance!!).

I really wanted JR to win, so I am very happy with the results, but I also hope that Rob continues on his "journey" to becoming a better man (the optimist in me really wants his journey not to have been some really well-executed publicity scam). I was sad that Karina didn't really get to talk after the announcement.

I was absurdly pleased to see Derek and Mark hoist Karina and JR up. I am curious where Maks was in the throng, if anywhere.

Can David go on a national tour pretty please?

I am unexpectedly happier than I would've expected after a middling season. Glad to have the first half of my week back again!

CrumbyButtons

CrumbyButtons

Stalker

• Interests:Gardening

Posted Nov 22, 2011 @ 11:09 PM

Chynna was excellent

I was so happy for her! It must have felt great to be able to do it again and do so very well!

allbymyself

allbymyself

Video Archivist

Posted Nov 22, 2011 @ 11:09 PM

Holy cow! I'm so glad JR & Karina won, I didn't want to go to bed mad tonight, nothing against Rob, seems like a nice guy, JR just deserved it more.

Really enjoyed all the cast dances tonight, and the guest entertainment, will be looking for their CD.

Charlie Baker

Charlie Baker

Couch Potato

Posted Nov 22, 2011 @ 11:10 PM

Very satisfying finale for this JR supporter. I've come to like Karina more these past couple seasons and it was nice to see her get a win. Semi-surprising that Ricki was third, but she and Derek appeared pretty gracious. I wonder just how much of an advantage in voting numbers JR and Rob had over her. Loved Carson's and Chaz's numbers. The troupe's work mostly left me cold.

And fitting that some confetti flew into Brooke's mouth at the very end. Nobody but nobody blah blah blahs like Bergeron.

As always, it will depend on the casting whether I sign up for this next go-round.

spanana

spanana

Stalker

Congrats to JR and Karina, though I've got to say he's one of those dancers that peaked too soon for me. I can't get too excited about his win in the sense that I think he's been off his game for the last couple of weeks. In the semis I could pin it on his injury, but I think his dancing has been off in the finale too. Though it might be exhaustion. I'm honestly happier for Karina.

I wanted JR to win though because there would have been too much media backlash if Rob won.

Also I think it's kind of mean to make the celebs end their run on an instant dance. They are exhausted and distracted and worse, it kind of makes the celebs leave on a down note (faux 10's and all).

I hope Rob was serious when he told reporters he planned to go to law school next, at least if that is what he wants.

Edited by spanana, Nov 22, 2011 @ 11:12 PM.

Nannav

Nannav

Couch Potato

This is a rare occurence, I am about to say something nice about Derek. I like that he was the one who lifted JR up. And I also like that Mark lifted up Karina. I mean, you knew Maks, Val and Tony wouldn't do it, so that didn't leave too many options.