The Descendants

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.

33 replies to this topic

stonehaven

stonehaven

Couch Potato

Posted May 1, 2012 @ 9:42 PM

Saw it today and enjoyed it. Took me a while to warm up to the characters but I thought it was pretty good.
One of my favorite moments was the drive through the island and the camera pans to each resort as the car goes by...and to me that was a subtle nod to the sprawl that a lot of places have become.

Sandman

Sandman

Stalker

Posted May 23, 2012 @ 9:23 AM

I wanted to like this movie (though I agree with the point made above that it felt unlikely that Matt was going to sell out, since Clooney's not going to do anything that's truly reprehensible - hello, he's the Cloon!) but in the end, it felt too contrived, or too tidily arranged, or something. I remember thinking that Matt and most of the other adults - or perhaps "adults" is closer - were behaving in ways that no human being ever has behaved or ever will. I mean, yelling at your comatose wife - just ... no. I found I was shaking my head in disbelief much of the time. I thought Shailene Woodley was playing a recognizably real teenaged girl, and it's a nicely observed, sensitive performance. And certain moments for the Matt character worked, such as where he forbears, with noticeable effort, from telling his wretched, combative father-in-law just how far from ideal his precious daughter actually was. But so much of the script just felt wrong-headed and artificial.

Edited by Sandman, May 23, 2012 @ 9:24 AM.

cmahorror

cmahorror

Couch Potato

Posted Jun 8, 2012 @ 10:39 PM

I mean, yelling at your comatose wife - just ... no.

It made perfect sense to me. So many emotions that you do not get to let go...he had just found out she had been cheating on him and had put their daughter in a terrible position. If she was awake, he could have had a conversation but her own recklessness took that option away from him.

To me Clooney is like Cary Grant - no matter what role he plays it is always George Clooney.

Edited by cmahorror, Jun 8, 2012 @ 10:42 PM.

Sandman

Sandman

Stalker

Posted Jun 14, 2012 @ 1:52 PM

It made perfect sense to me. So many emotions that you do not get to let go...he had just found out she had been cheating on him and had put their daughter in a terrible position.

It just felt to me like something that would only happen in the movies. It was satisfying on an emotional level (to a certain extent, anyway) but it didn't feel completely honest. I'm sure it's a mileage thing, but the movie kept throwing me out of the moment again and again because of things that I couldn't imagine quite happening in life.

I think Clooney does get by on personal charisma a lot of the time, but I wouldn't say he's invariably playing the same guy. Danny Ocean and Michael Clayton and the guy from Up In The Air felt distinct from each other. Matt didn't feel quite as fleshed out, to me; but there were definitely moments where he felt more damaged than all of the other characters I mentioned. I put the general not-quite-coherent feeling I get from the characterization down partly (though not entirely) to the writing.

Edited by Sandman, Jun 19, 2012 @ 8:24 AM.