My House, Your Money: Mommy and Daddy are Paying for the Granite and Hardwood

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.

63 replies to this topic

roseslg

roseslg

Couch Potato

Posted Dec 1, 2011 @ 12:02 AM

Report Post#27
The fiance's father was donating $10,000 in addition to his commission.

Oh, I thought the 10k was his commission. So, the mom is kicking in 20k, the dad 10 k, the daughter, 45k, and the son nothing?

chessiegal

chessiegal

Fanatic

Posted Dec 1, 2011 @ 12:05 AM

Is the process different in CN from the US? In the US, the buyer does not pay a commission. I suppose he could tell the seller that he wouldn't charge a commission and to lower the price?

I had the same question - in my state in the US the commission is paid by the seller. So is he saying that the price of the house will be lowered because he isn't taking a commission? Plus, in my area of the US, the commission is split between the selling agent and the broker they work for - sometimes 50:50, sometimes not. Fuzzy, and probably not at all significant in the world of "reality" TV.

Edited by chessiegal, Dec 1, 2011 @ 12:07 AM.

selkie

selkie

Fanatic

Posted Dec 1, 2011 @ 8:34 AM

Way I understood it was that the father probably had a good idea of how much he'd make net representing a buyer at that price point, and he was willing to pass that amount along to the couple.

Kendall95

Kendall95

Couch Potato

Posted Dec 6, 2011 @ 9:34 PM

This episode was one of those cases where I agreed with the parent rather than the kid buying the property. Nicki and Gala just seemed like empty headed girls who wanted a city condo with all the shiny finishes. There was no talk of the neighborhood, square footage, resale value, etc. Just "Where's the stainless steel?" Ugh.

What really bothered me was that Ruth (the mother supplying the $10k) was the only one to consider Jermaine. There is a compromise between a condo for a single girl vs the white picket fenced house in the 'burbs, and none of those houses met that compromise, IMO. I thought the last two places had fairly small bedrooms (with the exception of the master), and neither had a yard to speak of. I couldn't see a rambunctious six year old having much fun at either house.

Gala needed a smack in the head, with her backhanded comments. Like her or not, Grandma is giving you money to help move into your home, so zip it.

Linky Loo

Linky Loo

Video Archivist

Posted Dec 6, 2011 @ 10:55 PM

Very odd that what the nanny wants has more weight than what's best for the child the nanny nannies for. (Nanny Nanny Boo Boo)

roseslg

roseslg

Couch Potato

Posted Dec 6, 2011 @ 11:02 PM

Needless to say, that nanny had too much say. I wondered if she was her lover or something... then the mom made that comment about entertaining all her gentlemen friends.

LuckyBitch

LuckyBitch

Video Archivist

Posted Dec 13, 2011 @ 6:25 PM

Needless to say, that nanny had too much say. I wondered if she was her lover or something... then the mom made that comment about entertaining all her gentlemen friends.

That nanny was beyond annoying. As far as the mother, in the very beginning of the episode, they referred to her as a stepmother.

Something was off this entire episode. It appeared to me that the two women are girlfriends but for some reason they don't want to let the stepmom know it. Or, maybe she does know, but they didn't want to let it be known on television? I know that sounds antiquated and awful, not saying I agree with it. But, there are some people still "in the closet", unfortunately.

Edited by LuckyBitch, Dec 13, 2011 @ 6:25 PM.

rhitroadkill

rhitroadkill

Fanatic

Posted Dec 14, 2011 @ 6:16 PM

Ugh. I caught an episode yesterday with Amanda and her bf and both sets of parents helping them look and I hope they were exaggerating the conflict because I found all participants objectionable. The first house was a good location but a completely hideous house (and price). The second house managed to top the first in hideousness and the parents' insistence that it was a good option was baffling. The 3rd house was the only real contender despite the fact that it didn't have the blue shag carpet that the girl whined that she loved. The whole thing seemed completely contrived and everyone there annoyed--even when they were making cogent points.

I don't think this show will last very long. At least I hope it doesn't.

Frenchy68

Frenchy68

Channel Surfer

Posted Dec 27, 2011 @ 8:58 PM

The one with poser-hipster Amanda, Norman and his parents is on. Amanda is horrible. She is so disrespectful. He would be crazy to move in with her.

Linky Loo

Linky Loo

Video Archivist

Posted Dec 27, 2011 @ 9:12 PM

Run, Norm, run! At least there's room in the place they picked to get away from her - maybe lock her in the closet and throw away the key?

biakbiak

biakbiak

Stalker

Posted Dec 27, 2011 @ 9:28 PM

Seriously, Amanda was a horrible human being when it wasn't even her family that was giving the money! I loved how she kept implying that he was an immature child because he lived at home when she basically threw a tantrum when he liked the house.

Edited by biakbiak, Dec 27, 2011 @ 9:35 PM.

doublebungalow2

doublebungalow2

Video Archivist

Posted Dec 27, 2011 @ 9:44 PM

Poor Norm..29 years of age and living with his parents. Enter Amanda, younger, bossy and wanting someone to provide her dream loft,
Amanda to Norm -- you LIKE THIS! (look on Amanda's face priceless)

Amanda - I am not living in the suburbs...I don't know how many times you need to go over this...It is not an Option!!

Amanda complained that her boyfriend and his cash cow parents were "not selling her on the place:... Amanda what are you bringing to the (closing) table. " I'm his girlfriend..I'm his future!" FYI Amanda ..when I man says I am not interested in getting married - it means I am not interested in getting married to you!

And lastly Amanda put all her chips on baiting Norman to prefer her over seeing the rest of the house with his parents! Deal breaker for Amanda I thought but instead Norm got more money out of Mom and Dad for place they both liked..After Amanda ackowledges additional money fromm parents she mocks "Anythng for Normsie!" Norm please have that condom surgically or super glue attached!

Lola16

Lola16

Fanatic

Posted Dec 27, 2011 @ 11:02 PM

Seriously, Amanda was a horrible human being when it wasn't even her family that was giving the money! I loved how she kept implying that he was an immature child because he lived at home when she basically threw a tantrum when he liked the house.

This was the first (and probably last) episode of this show that I have seen. I hope this is a wake-up call to Norman. I don't care how much she was acting, her inner ugly came through. "One of the benefits of dating an older man is..." SHADDUP!

Catgirl14

Catgirl14

Couch Potato

Posted Dec 28, 2011 @ 1:23 AM

Wow, Amanda. When she wouldn't go up to look at the rest of the house, I was really hoping that Norm would break up with her, but no such luck. Bitch please, what the hell are you bringing to the table? He may still play video games, but you are more of a child, and disrespectful of his parents. She really brought the ugly to that situation. I'm over this show between this and the Nanny episode.

Meimeikittycat

Meimeikittycat

Loyal Viewer

Posted Jan 1, 2012 @ 3:43 PM

Wow, Amanda. When she wouldn't go up to look at the rest of the house, I was really hoping that Norm would break up with her, but no such luck. Bitch please, what the hell are you bringing to the table? He may still play video games, but you are more of a child, and disrespectful of his parents. She really brought the ugly to that situation. I'm over this show between this and the Nanny episode.

I too was hoping Norm would say, "You won't even bother looking at the upstairs? Okay, this is the house I choose. Bye-bye." But unfortunately he decided to go another route. I could never be in a relationship with someone that disrespectful of my parents. I hope he smartens up and runs.

livinggreen

livinggreen

Fanatic

Posted Jan 4, 2012 @ 10:26 AM

"Dad Wants What He Wants For Daughter's House"

Dude if you are willing to give your grown child money to 'help" with the downpayment then don't hold it over her head by demanding that you get to pick the house that you want, esp when you will be just visiting from time to time and won't be living there.

BTW: He is also paying the mortgage for 2 yrs.

You can actually make money being a Feng Shui consultant?

Mondrianyone

Mondrianyone

Couch Potato

Posted Jan 4, 2012 @ 1:43 PM

You can actually make money being a Feng Shui consultant?

By all appearances . . . no.

Linky Loo

Linky Loo

Video Archivist

Posted Jan 15, 2012 @ 4:19 PM

This must not be must see TV. Moved to Monday at 10 PM CST/11 PM EST.

SusieCue

SusieCue

Couch Potato

Posted Jan 15, 2012 @ 10:50 PM

Dude if you are willing to give your grown child money to 'help" with the downpayment then don't hold it over her head by demanding that you get to pick the house that you want, esp when you will be just visiting from time to time and won't be living there.

BTW: He is also paying the mortgage for 2 yrs.

I don't know. Sounds to me like he's buying a house and she's just going to happen to live there. So, he should get the deciding vote. You want to pick your own house? Pay for it yourself. (This is more than just a loan for a downpayment. If he's making the mortgage payments, it's his house.)

Ms Sugarbaker

Ms Sugarbaker

Fanatic

Posted Jan 16, 2012 @ 12:44 PM

You want to pick your own house? Pay for it yourself.

Seriously, if you don't want mommy or daddy holding it over your head then be a big boy or girl and pay for it yourself.

rhitroadkill

rhitroadkill

Fanatic

Posted Jan 16, 2012 @ 11:31 PM

I thought nothing could beat Amanda for pure whineyness and entitledness, but Susie was worse. God, I wanted to smack her silly. I am trying to figure out why they signed up to be on the show. Does the show help them with the mortgage? The inlaws were donating like 10,000 out of the about 700,000 they were going to spend. What was the point? Susie had apparently been drinking the HGTV Koolade because nothing was good enough for her. She *needed* crown molding, granite, and hardwoods. She would gut a kitchen just because she didn't like the color of the tile. She didn't like this light fixture. I hope she was acting because she was a sh*thead and a snob. I wonder if she "married beneath her station" and was still trying to live the high life. And the ending was so contrived.

Ugh. I don't know why I torture myself with this dross. I hope it is a one season wonder.

Emilyanne

Emilyanne

Channel Surfer

Posted Jan 17, 2012 @ 2:34 AM

The parents were fine, it was all Susie. I see why they have looked for a house for the last five years. Nothing is good enough for her. They even complained about weeds in the yard.

BenadrylBrownie

BenadrylBrownie

Video Archivist

Posted Jan 31, 2012 @ 3:36 AM

Could they have said Maeva or single mom anymore in this past episode? So grating.

Yorkville

Yorkville

Loyal Viewer

Posted Jan 31, 2012 @ 5:45 PM

The new house=mom won.

BDArizona

BDArizona

Fanatic

• Interests:Left wing politics, sci-fi, sports, competitive reality shows

Posted Feb 6, 2012 @ 2:52 AM

Seriously, if you don't want mommy or daddy holding it over your head then be a big boy or girl and pay for it yourself.

On the other hand, these parents need to cut the fucking strings and not make money a way to control their grown children. It's really overbearing and gross. If you want to give your kid money, do so. Do it because you want to help someone you love. Don't do it because you want to be able to tell them how and where to live. There's nothing I find more offensive than a parent of an adult child who wants to "help," then uses that "help" as something to hold over their kids' head. I can't help but imagine that this controlling behavior has gone on throughout their kids' lives, and this is just a way to extend it.

Still, I know this show is all bullshit, anyway. It's just another make-believe HGTV show with made-up conflicts. I'm not going to judge either the kids or the parents based on what HGTV chooses to show. I will only judge the concepts that HGTV is pushing.

Fawn Leibowitz

Fawn Leibowitz

Loyal Viewer

Posted Feb 7, 2012 @ 12:45 PM

Dave & Tracey's episode was the first I've seen of this series and I couldn't get over how unpleasant both Tracey and her mom were. Dave's dad was their real estate agent and openly admitted that Joan [Tracey's mom] scared him. Dave was so hen-pecked that all he did was parrot whatever opinion Tracey had previously stated. Dave, Tracey is eerily similar to her mom; run!

shlbycindyk

shlbycindyk

Couch Potato

Posted Feb 7, 2012 @ 11:41 PM

I totally agree about Tracey and her mom being unpleasant. I ended up recording it because I simply couldn't watch this live. That way I was able to ff through a lot of the mom's conversation. I didn't like Tracey either. When the mom said if she bought the loft house she would never stay over or visit, my first thought was "Sold!". I hope Dave watched this episode and saw the light. He needs to run far and fast away from those two. I really liked his dad though. Hopefully he'll have a chat with Dave and help him to see the light.

peggy06

peggy06

Couch Potato

Posted Mar 6, 2012 @ 12:06 AM

Just saw the episode with Norman and Amanda. I'm not a huge reality watcher (mostly just HGTV), so maybe Amanda is small potatoes in reality TV. For me, she was unbelievably obnoxious. Snide, snotty, entitled. If that was scripted that way, I have to question the producers. This is supposed to be appealing? She was baiting the mother, mocking Norman and his parents, throwing an entitled hissy fit, pitting him against his parents. And all this when they are helping to make a purchase possible. No, they don't have a right to make the choice, but they do have a right to give an opinion and be treated respectfully. Ugh. It really bugged me when Mom and Dad threw in more money for the over-budget place so Amanda would be "happy." I've got news: Amanda will never be happy! When she sneered, "Anything for Normsie," I was wishing he'd break up with her there and then. Hope he is buying this condo in his own name, because I sure don't see this as a long term relationship. Poor guy seemed nice.

It did bug me that the mom kept harping to Amanda, especially, about a family, and normally I'd have sympathized with her over that. But she lost any sympathy by being so rude. I wonder what super-cool place SHE was living in, to be dissing Norman so badly?

I watched this because it came on after House Hunters. Don't think I'll watch again.

Edited by peggy06, Mar 6, 2012 @ 12:08 AM.

bataviaduo

bataviaduo

Video Archivist

Posted Mar 6, 2012 @ 9:35 AM

I only watched this show last night because I couldn't sleep..... this couple is doomed from the start especially after her to refuse to even look at the "suburban" house. Remind me not to watch this program again.

Pepper the Cat

Pepper the Cat

Couch Potato

Posted Mar 14, 2012 @ 2:04 PM

So I'm at home sick and there is a marathon of this show on that I've been flipping in and out of.
Holy crap! What a bunch of entitled people. One episode was a spoiled 18 year old who wanted and got, a$325,000 condo! And she planned to make one room a "recording studio" I would love to know how that went over with the neighbors.