• Please log in to reply

95 replies to this topic

SouthsideofNo

SouthsideofNo

Video Archivist

Posted Nov 17, 2011 @ 11:15 AM

America's Supernanny premieres November 29th 9/8c

http://www.mylifetim...icas-supernanny

America’s Supernanny, Deborah Tillman, visits the homes of parents throughout the U.S. who are seeking guidance and assistance on how to best raise their children. Diving straight into the chaos and heart of the matter, she gives viewers an all-access look at troubled households by closely observing each family dynamic to pinpoint their complicated problems – ranging from disciplinary problems, separation anxiety and picky eating to poor bedtime routines, clinging on mom or dad, spoiled kids and attention deficit disorder – and follow through to resolve their issues to put families on the road to happiness. Tillman is a Virginia-based wife, mother and author, who boasts more than 19 years experience in early childhood education, working with infants, toddlers, preschoolers and elementary school students. After an exhaustive search, she was chosen among a pool of over 400 candidates to find the country’s best homegrown nanny. Tillman owns several children learning centers in the Old Dominion state and wowed producers with her charisma, firm but loving philosophy to caring for children and natural ability to connect and work with families experiencing relationship problems.

Fionas2

Fionas2

Couch Potato

Posted Nov 17, 2011 @ 12:35 PM

Thanks for the link! I'm in.

momof2kids

momof2kids

Just Tuned In

Posted Nov 17, 2011 @ 1:06 PM

yeah!!!! Thanks for the heads up

CrumbyButtons

CrumbyButtons

Stalker

Posted Nov 30, 2011 @ 11:14 PM

I watched this last night. It was pretty much a carbon copy of Jo's methods, but I found it odd that there isn't necessarily an apology and hug at the end of time out. Just repeating what the kid did wrong and go to make it right.

The dad drenched in sweat was hilarious!

I'm not sure why I love Supernanny so much, I don't even have kids! Maybe it validates my decision not to go down that road! But I'll watch American Supernanny again. I like Jo better, but Deborah is good in her own way. If anything I think this show is even more.... edited? Like the change is too quick and artificial. Of course, I've only seen one episode. Maybe it won't always be like that.

Former Nun

Former Nun

Fanatic

Posted Dec 1, 2011 @ 2:20 AM

Watched it once. That was enough. It's a poor imitation of the original.

concernednana

concernednana

Fanatic

Posted Dec 1, 2011 @ 3:58 PM

I am amazed at how easy it is to find such unruly kids. I have never seen kids kick, spit at and slap their parents like the kids on these shows do.

And I know it is wrong, but if one of my kids had spit at me I am afraid before I thought, someone would have been spanked. Not correct these days, but, even worse, I can not imagine what would have happened to one of us growing up if we had even thought about spitting or hitting an adult. No way would we have been in a corner for three minutes and that be it. Talk about correcting behavior, for a fact, if we ever did that, it wouldn't be but once.

Edited by concernednana, Dec 1, 2011 @ 4:03 PM.

Bethlyn

Bethlyn

Video Archivist

Posted Dec 1, 2011 @ 9:55 PM

I liked the show okay, but I found that family's house AMAZING.

concernednana,

I can not imagine what would have happened to one of us growing up if we had even thought about spitting or hitting an adult. No way would we have been in a corner for three minutes and that be it. Talk about correcting behavior, for a fact, if we ever did that, it wouldn't be but once.

This. Times a thousand.

I wondered about the kids' separation anxiety. Aren't they a little past the normal ages for that? And was it really severe? Was it only just when the dad left? They didn't say what happened if mom left by herself. That just seemed crazy to me.

I liked Deborah, but I missed Jo's no-nonsense, take-no-prisoners approach too. I'll give it a few more episodes.

LurkerNoMore

LurkerNoMore

Fanatic

Posted Dec 6, 2011 @ 8:03 AM

I'll watch the next episode, but I miss Jo Frost so much! This woman just doesn't have her charm.

And I know it is wrong, but if one of my kids had spit at me I am afraid before I thought, someone would have been spanked.

Spanked? How about slapped! I hate to admit it, but my first instinct with a lot of these kids is that they absolutely need a good whoopin'. Not good, I know.

The dad drenched in sweat was hilarious!

Oh, my gosh. I can't believe how many times that kid got up and ran away.

livinggreen

livinggreen

Fanatic

Posted Dec 6, 2011 @ 9:52 AM

I have used to watch these shows but after awhile I wanted to slap the parents for letting their kids get to this point.

They all should be ashamed of the horrible, horrible kids that they have raised. There is no excuse to kids behaving that way.

concernednana

concernednana

Fanatic

Posted Dec 6, 2011 @ 10:01 AM

They all should be ashamed of the horrible, horrible kids that they have raised. There is no excuse to kids behaving that way.
« Next Oldest

Agree Agree. My grandma was a mountain lady and had 13 kids. Nine lived to grow up. The others died of diptheria and childhood diseases.

Until she died, if she said "jump", to the last one they said "how high"
They grew up in a two room house.

I never knew anyone who would spit in their parents face. Like I said, I am afraid of what would happen and my sons are grown.

I know spanking is not the in thing right now, but kids spitting, biting and slapping their parents and others need a lot more than a time out.

Does this Nanny give everyone a three minute time out irregardless of age.

peterredtail

peterredtail

Video Archivist

Posted Dec 6, 2011 @ 11:41 AM

My badly behaved step-grandson just laughs at time-outs. Believe me, my hand was quivering this past weekend to give him a spanking. Fourtunately we were out in public. But yes unruly children are the norm these days as the parent are petrified of being reported if they so much as give a tiny slap on a tiny bottom these days.

braggtastic

braggtastic

Stalker

Posted Dec 6, 2011 @ 12:27 PM

None of Jo Frost's charm - pass.

livinggreen

livinggreen

Fanatic

Posted Dec 6, 2011 @ 12:45 PM

Know why my son was not the horrible monster like the ones featured on this show?

I let him know from a very early age that I was bigger then he was.

Worked like a charm.

theovincent

theovincent

Video Archivist

Posted Dec 7, 2011 @ 2:42 AM

I could barely watch the sleeping technique with the calming corner (it was definitely NOT calming). I am sure quads are different, but Jo had a far more restful method (though it still took a lot of work. Also, I usually felt like the kids liked Jo and would listen to her, even while ignoring the parents. I didn't feel the same way about "America's Supernanny"

repag

repag

Couch Potato

Posted Dec 7, 2011 @ 4:54 AM

Again with the Calmin' Corner©, but times four?? This show could be listed under Sporting Events. The quads were pretty sweet actually. But OMG, I'd lose my mind with twins.

By the way, that red dress she twirls in the intro is by Calvin Klein and comes in grey (because I got it at Ross for 39 bucks last year. Yay, my dress is famous! Okay well it was exciting to me.

Alexa

Alexa

Fanatic

Posted Dec 7, 2011 @ 8:15 AM

It was nice to see a Supernanny type show again, and I did like it for the most part. I do like Jo better, but I don't dislike the new nanny. I thought the calming corner seemed a bit chaotic, but I am sure that could have been because there were 4 kids to put in there at times :-) It did seem a bit less structured though, so I am wondering if that is why the kids weren't responding more quickly. I think that type of thing (a less structured time out) works better in a day care setting because you are dealing with multiple kids at a time.... but at home I almost think they needed to be more clear and disciplined about the approach.

I didn't really like the calming corner at bedtime though... I do think it went against trying to make the children understand it was bedtime. I do realize there are 4 kids in there and 2 not complying could be disruptive, but still...sending them away from bed does seem to be a bit of a win for the kids. Usually most discipline methods are focused on keeping them in bed or in their room. I did have to laugh at the mom saying that the book time was so nice. Like really? You have never thought to read a book before bed?

ish

ish

Fanatic

Posted Dec 7, 2011 @ 8:31 AM

I did have to laugh at the mom saying that the book time was so nice. Like really? You have never thought to read a book before bed?

With so many of these parents it seems like they don't have a clue how to play with their children, enjoy them, have fun with them. I don't think some of them even LIKE kids, just had them because it was the thing to do. The lesbian moms.. the older two kids, were they from the same relationship? They seemed well enough behaved, something was done right with them, was the SAHM just overwhelmed with quads? I missed the first half of the show. The working mom drove me nuts. Throw them in their bedroom and lock the door? That was acceptable to her? What a twat.

EndoKE

EndoKE

Fanatic

Posted Dec 7, 2011 @ 9:29 AM

I don't think some of them even LIKE kids, just had them because it was the thing to do.

I think that is the answer right there. A lot of the families I see on that show act like they really didn't want children at all but had them because their friends were or because of family pressure.

What bothers me about this new nanny isn't really her. I saw her on Wendy Williams show one day and Wendy made a nasty comment that at least THIS nanny actually had a child. I guess Jo Frost didn't have children? I thought that was a silly comment because don't the British nannies go to an actual college to be a nanny? Just because someone has kids doesn't mean they know how to raise them.

Mari2009

Mari2009

Channel Surfer

Posted Dec 7, 2011 @ 11:55 AM

I like Nanny Jo better too. The new nanny is too business like, not very warm and comes across as condescending toward the parents. I am not a fan of the calm down corner at bedtime. I agree with everyone who said that it takes the kids away from bed and is not restful or calming.

Why was the quads room so bare? It looked depressing.

KaliDoom

KaliDoom

Loyal Viewer

Posted Dec 7, 2011 @ 12:03 PM

Does this show do reruns? I didn't know it was gonna be on. I love Jo Frost, though, so I will be biased against this nanny.

FTR, I have a kid who used to spit in my face when he was 3 and 4. Time outs worked just fine to stop it. He learned it when one of the kids at preschool did it to him. The discipline didn't work at first because I was so darned shocked and angry. The trick with them is your demeanor when disciplining, not the discipline itself, in my opinion. He likes to make me angry and see me rant and rage and get mad. It's a fun game for him. When I did time outs all angry and ragey and scary, it didn't work. When I calmed down and did it Jo's way without constantly asserting that I was the boss and I'm bigger and he WILL do what I say, the time outs worked, and the behavior stopped. Not just that behavior, either, but others as well, like not listening (our biggest problem) or hitting his brother. Now, all I have to do is get to the warning stage, and he stops the behavior. Jo has helped my family immensely just through watching the techniques on TV, really. We were miserable before we started implementing her time out technique.

In contrast, my little one came home last year from his mom's house with a big, red handprint on his face from where she'd "had to slap him" when he spit at her. He gets a heavy spanking every time he does it, but he does it anyway. He hasn't spit on me in over a year, since he was 4, and he's almost 6 now and still spits at his mom, and I think it's because of the spanking and slapping out of anger. Seeing her upset is fun for him, and it is worth the pain of a spanking to him. It all depends on the kid and on the parent.

I got off track. Anyway, I am glad to read that the new nanny does more nontraditional families like lesbian couples. I hope she does more blended families. I'd like a nanny program that shows the unique challenges that stepparents and biological parents face when coparenting together.

concernednana

concernednana

Fanatic

Posted Dec 7, 2011 @ 2:37 PM

The only thing I did not like was all the kids in the same calm down corner. However, it did appear to be working.

The working mom was ridiculous. I do not know if she and the at home mom thought she was funny or not. She was a very poor excuse for a parent. She swept potato chips up in a pile with a broom used to sweep the floors and let the kids eat from it. She thought locking children in a room to scream and yell and fight was perfect for nap or bedtime.

It is dangerous to lock kids in a room. Any parent knows that. Also sweeping food up for children to eat it, is just nasty.

It is a cop out to use the old adage "I pick my battles" A parents battle is raising well behaved children. The at home mom was just lazy. She wants a magic fix and does not want to work for it.

I am afraid after the show, nothing really changed for this family. I am afraid the working mom was still looking for a battle and locking babies in rooms. I am afraid she is still nasty and refusing to help.

I also am afraid the at home mom is too lazy to follow thru. She gets "tired". Both of these women need lots of exercize. Four 2 1/2 yr olds would give it to them. However, they prefer sitting and crying about it being hard.

The two older children are given too much responsiblity. Plus if you look at them compared to the two moms, obvious to see who gets more exercize running after and playing with the kids.

LurkerNoMore

LurkerNoMore

Fanatic

Posted Dec 8, 2011 @ 7:59 AM

I didn't really like the calming corner at bedtime though... I do think it went against trying to make the children understand it was bedtime. I do realize there are 4 kids in there and 2 not complying could be disruptive, but still...sending them away from bed does seem to be a bit of a win for the kids. Usually most discipline methods are focused on keeping them in bed or in their room.

This! Absolutely. I thought of Jo and her method of saying, "It's bedtime darling." The next time, "It's bedtime." The subsequent times that the child gets out of bed, NO communication -- just put them back in bed. The calming corner, which seemed to be at the opposite end of the house, just did not make any sense in this situation.

Also, I understand BBB, bath, brush teeth, and book before bed, but I don't know if I could handle doing a bath every night with quads. I know toddlers can get pretty messy and sticky ... it's been a while since I had to do a bath for kids daily. If the kids really enjoy it and you have a system in place to keep them safe (Mandy, that means YOU have to help), I guess it would be good.

I liked this episode better than the first; I liked how Deborah was really pretty tough with these moms. She tells the parents something to the effect of: "This behavior is the result of 2 1/2 years of no discipline! We are not going to fix this in one day!"

lisalisajr

lisalisajr

Couch Potato

Posted Dec 8, 2011 @ 8:44 AM

I thought the time out corner was appropriate because the kids who were behaving/sleeping didn't need to be disturbed by those who weren't. Keeping the kids that were acting out in the room with the rest didn't allow for the "good" ones to be good & get some rest.

I like the new Nanny for the most part. I think she can be a bit to enthusiastic for my tastes but I like how she's no nonsense and how she engages the kids. To me she comes across very warm with the children but firmer with the parents. I do think there's experience that comes with being an actual parent that can not be taught. That isn't to say that Nanny Jo was not good at her job but there are different types of education and she simple didn't have a parents education.

Edited by lisalisajr, Dec 8, 2011 @ 8:47 AM.

Alexa

Alexa

Fanatic

Posted Dec 14, 2011 @ 8:06 AM

Overall I liked last night's episode, though it seemed that there wasn't much actual parenting help--more helping them as a couple. It seemed like once the parents chilled out a bit and stepped up to the plate, there wasn't much to do with the kids. I am sure they needed to do something so it would have been nice to show that. Like they kept referring to Dillon's violent outbursts but then he didn't really have any and seemed pretty mellow.

The kids seemed to have no issues with bedtime, and there was no calming corner this time, so maybe the kids were pretty good overall and the parents actions were just causing them to act out?

Pepper Mostly

Pepper Mostly

Fanatic

Posted Dec 14, 2011 @ 12:03 PM

I especially liked the husband in last night's episode. He seemed genuinely eager to change and improve his family's life. Usually the husbands on these things tend to be big clueless palookas so he was a breath of fresh air. I loved his interactions with his son. The wife, holy moly, was she ever depressed. Get that woman some therapy.

I like Deborah a lot. She's so completely no nonsense, its really kind of enjoyable to see her not let people get away with anything.

Kitty Bac

Kitty Bac

Couch Potato

Posted Dec 14, 2011 @ 1:04 PM

My guess is that Dillon probably acted better because he is old enough to understand the ASN was there to observe, so he didn't act up.

Betelnut

Betelnut

Loyal Viewer

Posted Dec 14, 2011 @ 1:17 PM

The mother in last night's episode acted depressed. I would have recommended a full medical checkup.

Also, was the black mold on the basement walls? It certainly was a nasty looking "playroom."

concernednana

concernednana

Fanatic

Posted Dec 14, 2011 @ 1:57 PM

The mother last night irritiated me. Deborah corrected her when she said she would change if the husband would. She wanted to blame him for everything. She may have been depressed. But she was also lazy.

I take anti-depressants and have cried myself so sleep but my babies never knew anything was going on. I didn't hide the world from them and I do not mean that, I just think any parent can take a few hours out of their day, to realize the blessings they have and to wake up.

I also wanted them to fix the playroom up. There is a paint like substance they could put on the walls to try to clean up the mold. Then put up new board and let the children paint one wall themself with the parents doing the rest.

Edited by concernednana, Dec 14, 2011 @ 2:06 PM.

CrumbyButtons

CrumbyButtons

Stalker

Posted Dec 14, 2011 @ 9:21 PM

I especially liked the husband in last night's episode. He seemed genuinely eager to change and improve his family's life. Usually the husbands on these things tend to be big clueless palookas so he was a breath of fresh air. I loved his interactions with his son.

When he was getting ready to remove the tv and games (and again after the items were gone) I liked that he told Dillon "People make mistakes. I made a mistake. These were bad parenting decisions and I'm sorry." He was so sincere it probably helped Dillon not kick off into a full fit.

And yes, wow, that playroom was a hazard! I do hope they cleaned it up, painted and kept it up. The kids didn't seem so bad, but it's kind of nice to not have screaming and crying going on the first half of the episode.

LurkerNoMore

LurkerNoMore

Fanatic

Posted Dec 15, 2011 @ 11:45 AM

So much to say about this family ...

1st of all, the more I watch this show, the more I am warming up to Deborah. She'll never be Jo Frost, but I like how she kicks the parents in the a*s. I'd like to see her do more directly with little kids, besides the 'calming corner'. Jo was great at getting the kids involved in activities and playing.

Agree that mom should be screened for depression, and she may also want to get her tubes tied or go on the IUD (I think 4 is enough for these folks, especially in that small house). My theory about her working during the evenings is that it was a convenient way to put distance between her and her husband, thereby being a pseudo-birth control method. I think if asked the couple would have said that she has to work because they need the money, but if it is tearing your family apart, is it worth it?

I thought that the boy was going to be Satan's spawn, but he actually was a sensitive soul. I really felt for him when they told him that they were taking away the TV and some of the video games. He could have totally lashed out, but instead he cried.

The littlest one was so cute (and so were the other girls) ... I felt bad for her too, although I agree that Mom can't hold her all day! In addition to Deborah's advice about telling Mackenna that she was OK and not picking her up, I would have told Melissa to buddy Mackenna up with an older sister for just a few minutes, OR, use a playpen once in a while.

The playroom!?! Gah. How about dungeon with toys. Terrible.