12-8: "Crime After Crime" 2011.11.16

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.

18 replies to this topic

fifty8th

fifty8th

Fanatic

Posted Nov 16, 2011 @ 11:36 PM

When the CSI team investigates three seemingly unrelated murders, they discover someone is getting revenge for cold case murders that were never solved.

I usually don't like episodes where the different crimes come together but I liked this one.

merylinkid

merylinkid

Fanatic

Posted Nov 17, 2011 @ 12:04 AM

Nick's "That is some felony procrastination" had me guffawing.

Wow, Brass was really off this episode. Sure he protects cops, but he has never been one to sweep a murder under the rug. Why don't they just retire the character if they are going to treat him like this.

Thought DB was gonna fire Nick after Nick told him to stop trying to save the wife killer. Instead they solved the crime ( I won't think too hard about how the evidence is not admissible because it is fruit of the poisonous tree. They only found the right location because the guy literally had a gun to his head).

Arnold Robinson

Arnold Robinson

Fanatic

Posted Nov 17, 2011 @ 12:39 AM

I liked Vega back in the day, and I disapprove of this retroactive character assassination. Honestly, I figured they were going to pin this on Vartann.
At least Det. O'Riley is still in the clear. (Though the actor, Skip O'Brien, sadly went to his reward earlier this year.) After Brass, he was my favorite cop on the show.

Uncle Chuck

Uncle Chuck

Couch Potato

Posted Nov 17, 2011 @ 3:33 AM

I won't think too hard about how the evidence is not admissible because it is fruit of the poisonous tree. They only found the right location because the guy literally had a gun to his head).

I don't see any "poisonous trees" here. They found the location at that lake because they followed the dirty cop's cell phone ping. Once they rescued the "victim" they just acted on a hunch--which is good police work--and decided to search the water at that location again. I certainly did not see any forced confessions or illegal searches. They were searching in a public lake, and the evidence they found--the matching bullet from a gun already in police custody was found with no help from the original wife-killer at all.

rory

rory

Couch Potato

Posted Nov 17, 2011 @ 12:39 PM

I really disliked this episode, but I really dislike vigilantism in general. I don't think the dirty cop even had evidence that proved that all of the victims committed the original crime. There was definitely no DNA evidence against the first victim, and I don't think they had any evidence against the PCP mom victim either.

linderhill

linderhill

Fanatic

Posted Nov 17, 2011 @ 12:39 PM

poor Vega, I liked him. Certainly more than what's her face, detective Starbuck from last year. Still miss detective crew cut, rip. I did enjoy this one somewhat except that Dying Cop was played by HITG Michael Massee whole often plays the villain.

MrPissyPuppy

MrPissyPuppy

Fanatic

Posted Nov 17, 2011 @ 1:57 PM

Wow, Brass was really off this episode. Sure he protects cops, but he has never been one to sweep a murder under the rug. Why don't they just retire the character if they are going to treat him like this.

Is the actor done with the show after this season? Because they had similar notes last year with the whole Langston thing & I wonder if they are setting something up.

Edited by MrPissyPuppy, Nov 17, 2011 @ 1:57 PM.

bunchofgrapes

bunchofgrapes

Loyal Viewer

Posted Nov 17, 2011 @ 9:29 PM

Wow, Brass was really off this episode. Sure he protects cops, but he has never been one to sweep a murder under the rug.

I didn’t get that Brass was off at all. Yes, he defends cops, he always has. He used to butt heads with Grissom and Warrick and Sara about it. But how was his saying that the little girl was murdered but Darlene got what she deserved any different than Vartann saying someone beat Kevin Fetzer's face in with an arcade ball. There's some justice in that? Vartann's expression when he says it looked a lot more like satisfaction than remorse. Plus he also says that if Mikey Moran had been his kid, he wouldn’t have waited 20 years to go after the guy. And Brass isn’t going to have any sympathy for a parent who murders her kid. That was pretty obvious when he was telling DB all the little details of her death.

To me this episode was about showing how cases where the perp walks affects the detectives over the years. Brass even tells DB that every cop carries a list in his head but he never acts on it. The difference here is that Richardson acted on it – with Vega’s help – and judging by Brass’ reaction at the end, he felt pretty sick about it.

ceindreadh

ceindreadh

Fanatic

Posted Nov 18, 2011 @ 12:29 PM

To me this episode was about showing how cases where the perp walks affects the detectives over the years. Brass even tells DB that every cop carries a list in his head but he never acts on it. The difference here is that Richardson acted on it – with Vega’s help – and judging by Brass’ reaction at the end, he felt pretty sick about it.

The difference between Brass and Vartann though, is that we know that Brass is willing to cover up murder by a cop or CSI. And that pretty much taints him in terms of whether he's prepared to 'act on a list' or not.

peeayebee

peeayebee

Stalker

Posted Nov 18, 2011 @ 10:24 PM

I liked Vega back in the day, and I disapprove of this retroactive character assassination. Honestly, I figured they were going to pin this on Vartann.

I wondered that, too. I even thought that Brass might be involved.

mertensia

mertensia

Fanatic

Posted Nov 19, 2011 @ 2:26 AM

Aw, man. Not Vega! I liked Vega!!

Frankly I was expecting Vartann to be killed and thus encourage Catherine's exit plans.

I did like that all of the cases came together in a natural way, except...wouldn't Vega and dying cop guy be smart enough not to do this on one night? They should have spaced it out over six months or so.

Eponah

Eponah

Fanatic

Posted Nov 20, 2011 @ 11:13 PM

I did like that all of the cases came together in a natural way, except...wouldn't Vega and dying cop guy be smart enough not to do this on one night? They should have spaced it out over six months or so.

I got the impression that it was a 'someday we outta do something' thing, but then Richardson got cancer and was dying and 'someday' got speeded up and Vega wanted to get it all done before Richardson died.

Babiicakes

Babiicakes

Couch Potato

Posted Nov 21, 2011 @ 12:03 AM

I don't think the dirty cop even had evidence that proved that all of the victims committed the original crime. There was definitely no DNA evidence against the first victim, and I don't think they had any evidence against the PCP mom victim either.

I don't think they had evidence for the first guy, but for the PCP mom, her prints and her son's print were on whatever was used to drug the daughter. Since the son turned out to be innocent, they concluded she did it. I think the evidence being murky was kind of the point though.

Kel Varnsen

Kel Varnsen

Stalker

Posted Nov 21, 2011 @ 8:03 AM

As far as Vartann goes, is there some rule on TV that every detective who gets more than a few lines per episode has to be an ex-alcoholic or have some other addiction problem?

Nylver

Nylver

Channel Surfer

Posted Nov 21, 2011 @ 2:26 PM

Well first we got Vartann on this episode and then Vega and I was all: "Jeej! two detectives today, how nice". I really should have known better. Sigh. I guess there was supposed to be suspence throughout the episode about wether it was Brass, Vartann or Vega who was the accomplice, but I didn't get that untill after the episode was over. It just didn't fit either of the characters until, apparently, 5 minutes before the end when they made Vega a dirty cop and a serial killer.

Booo show, booo!

annsterg

annsterg

Fanatic

Posted Nov 22, 2011 @ 1:34 PM

Hmmm, I am (happily) ignorant of PCP's effects but ....how could Vega be sure Darlene would die from the dose? Seems...kinda uncertain for vigilantism, unless given the amount he made her ingest, it was a given she'd die either from poisoning or from her actions while on it.

I am just so so grateful this did not turn into a multi-episode serial killer thing.

I am liking the character of the Sheriff very much. Strong, confident, smart, bad-ass, and looks out for her folks. A big improvement over the politician types we've seen in that position.

SisterOfSylar

SisterOfSylar

Couch Potato

Posted Nov 25, 2011 @ 7:35 PM

Vega wasn't a serial killer. From the last conversation it appeared he killed an informant.. I couldn't quite catch the last bit of the whole conversation. None of this episode had serial killer vibes. This came across as viglinatism than anything else.

My episode kept on skipping so I missed seconds here and there, and that meant the Sheriff's entrance. What happened with her?

Arnold Robinson

Arnold Robinson

Fanatic

Posted Nov 26, 2011 @ 12:02 AM

Vega wasn't a serial killer.

Well, he was a multiple murderer: The informant he whacked, then the three victims from this particular episode.

John Potts

John Potts

Fanatic

Posted May 1, 2012 @ 5:03 PM

I too was wondering if Brass did it (and I think it would be almost believable that he might turn into a "Punisher" style serial killer), which would make a change from the "Random Psycho does it for no reason" type serial killer we usually get. And I hate that this is the second time we've had a law enforcement official who turns out to be a murderer that "everyone knew was dodgy" but had never previously been shown as such (now if Ecklie had been the murderer, that actually would have had some foreshadowing).

Love the way that all the Lab Rats are sniffing around Riley (and DB for pointing out that it was a job and not a date!), even though as a nerd I ought to be offended - it's not as if they haven't been around attractive young women in the lab before.