Favorite Couples from Now-Defunct Soaps

• Please log in to reply

127 replies to this topic

SoMuchWhatever

SoMuchWhatever

Couch Potato

Posted Nov 23, 2011 @ 8:21 PM

Pache
Then the producers switched and it was decided that a young good looking man would never be interested in an older woman. So Matt/Donna ended, and I mourned.

That's JFP, through and through. We're talking about the same woman who once told Jackie Zeman that Bobbie Spencer and Scott Baldwin from GH shouldn't be seen kissing onscreen in their 40s because "no one wants to see old people kissing."

EllenOlenska
I also liked Michael and Julia on Santa Barbara (ducking wildly for cover) even though I enjoyed all of the Mason/Julia sparring and saw the chemistry, it made me think less of Julia for sticking with him after awhile.

Frank Runyeon was HOT, and that didn't hurt. Had there not been a Mason & Julia supercouple already firmly in place, I think people would have loved Michael & Julia. I would have, anyway. It doesn't hurt that NLG can create chemistry with a fencepost, if needed. That woman can seriously spark with ANY onscreen partner.

TudorQueen
As a diehard Rachel/Mac fan, I was surprised by how much I loved Rachel/Carl. To me, the thing that made it work was that Rachel, by accepting that Carl had changed, and standing up for his redemption, was passing forward Mac's greatest gift to her - he had loved her and championed her when no one else in Bay City would, and got her to see herself differently. And then she did it for the man who had once been their worst enemy. And it worked for me.

I love this. I wish my grandmother still had her memory (she has Alzheimer's) so I could discuss this with her. I think she would have been receptive to this theory, too.

WendyCR72

WendyCR72

Fanatic

Posted Nov 23, 2011 @ 8:27 PM

I completely get why Mason and Julia stayed together. They were both whip smart, great with a sound bite, and literary quip, and were equals. But to dig deeper, Julia herself was the daughter of an alcoholic. And while it is obvious to think she would not put herself through that again - or Samantha - old habits die hard. Patterns happen.

But the good thing is, Julia was always raising the bar to make Mason better himself. Not for her, but for himself and their child. And by the end, I think she had succeeded there.

And, sorry, but for me? Julia would have tired of Boring Saint Michael a week in. I know I was and I'm glad it was only for a night (and I even hated that. LOL!).

catlover79

catlover79

Fanatic

Posted Nov 23, 2011 @ 8:35 PM

SoMuchWhatever - it's sick how misogyny in the form of JFP, Frons, Guza, etc. crept into the soaps and sank them. JFP must be made of stone not to be moved by the likes of Tom & Alice, Mac & Rachel, Chris & Nancy, Steve & Audrey, etc. because she hates to see "old people" kissing. Disgusting.

OK, off my soapbox (no pun intended) and back to our regularly scheduled favorite couples of soap past!!!

Linds09

Linds09

Fanatic

Posted Nov 23, 2011 @ 9:25 PM

I'm going to add (sadly) OLTL's Dorian and Joey. (Nathan Fillion version, of course.) This was the only pairing of either one that I truly, truly loved. They had chemistry, heart, and drama. In my mind, Dorian and Joe are somewhere together.

catlover79

catlover79

Fanatic

Posted Nov 23, 2011 @ 9:55 PM

Nathan Fillion IS the definitive Joey, and he seemed to have "IT" right from the start. He seemed to spark with any woman he had scenes with. It's also nice, too, after he's hit big with Firefly and Castle, that he speaks so warmly and proudly of his soap roots. :-)

steve91199

steve91199

Stalker

Posted Nov 23, 2011 @ 10:45 PM

I thought he and Gina Tognoni had much less chemistry than he had with Strasser, and that relationship, along with bad writing, made him more and more of an afterthought for his last year and a half on the show. The stuff with Strasser was so amazing and multi-layered. I really think that's the only time he shone on OLTL, although he was competent the rest of the time. Overall I prefer Chris McKenna as Joey.

catlover79

catlover79

Fanatic

Posted Nov 23, 2011 @ 11:06 PM

Was Chris McKenna the Joey in the storyline with Ryan Phillippe? That was way before I started watching soaps, but I've read about it.

joylove

joylove

Loyal Viewer

Posted Nov 24, 2011 @ 1:16 AM

AMC

Tad and Dixie round 1. They owned me that summer when she was pregnant with JR and they fell in love. To this day, I'll never forget the scene when they were taking her to the insane asylum after Adam had gaslighted her, and Tad grabbed her hand as the camera zoomed in. I'll also never forget the heartbreak when everyone thought he died on the day of their second wedding.

Adam and Brooke. For some strange reason, I never hated Dixie for helping to ruin another one of my favorite couples. I wish we had more women like Brooke on soaps. She was so confident and self-assured, and I loved how she turned big, bad Adam into a bowl of mush when he was around her. I loved the way they fought, and I'm so glad they ended up together.

Trevor and Kate Collins' Natalie. I'm glad to see others loved them as much as I did. They were so funny and hot together, and I loved their unconventional family (with Timmy and Hayley). The well was one of my all time favorite storylines; I HAD to watch every day that summer to find out when they would get back together. I remember being so irritated that it took so long for them to reunite after that, but now I realize it was because the two couldn't stand each other. Also, when I looked back on some of those scenes on YouTube as an adult, I can appreciate why Natalie was so ticked off that Trevor was so easily tricked by Janet. Why isn't early Trevor/Natalie on YouTube!

Matt Borlenghi's Brian and Hayley. At the time, I loved their "Scooby Gang" like nosiness and desire to solve crimes. I also thought they were so sweet together. Now, I realize those two were pretty terrible actors at the time. I still enjoy watching their scenes, though.

ATWT

I only watched from 2005-2008, so I never saw most of the all-time great couples. I admit my favorite couple is a bit of a guilty pleasure, but...

Casey and Maddie. I seriously LOVED these two, even though I was in my 30s when they got together. In my 25 years of watching soaps, I never enjoyed a teen couple more than them.

GENERATIONS

Eric and Debbi Morgan's Chantal. The first time I can remember rewatching soap scenes was when these two got together. I thought they were so hot!

Spazzo47

Spazzo47

Fanatic

Posted Nov 24, 2011 @ 8:07 PM

Word on Brian and Hayley. Loved them. Didn't understand the need for An Lee as a spoiler and Brian and Dixie gave me the creeps. To this day I prefer them to Hayley and Mateo and anytime I see KP and MC together, I get irrationally angry because I think she still belongs with Brian.

TudorQueen

TudorQueen

Stalker

Posted Nov 24, 2011 @ 9:17 PM

It doesn't hurt that NLG can create chemistry with a fencepost, if needed.

Unless, IMO, that fencepost is Sonny Corinthos. (Sorry, still mad about that goosey high school crush on the local 'bad boy'. It demeaned the otherwise great character of Alexis)

Linds09

Linds09

Fanatic

Posted Nov 24, 2011 @ 11:19 PM

I really thought AMC's Hayley and Charlie were adorable. Just something about them was so damned cute. Mateo was always so condescending to her.

SoMuchWhatever

SoMuchWhatever

Couch Potato

Posted Nov 25, 2011 @ 12:52 AM

Unless, IMO, that fencepost is Sonny Corinthos. (Sorry, still mad about that goosey high school crush on the local 'bad boy'. It demeaned the otherwise great character of Alexis)

And this just makes me weep once again for the unbridled potential in Cameron/Alexis that TIIC squandered. It could have been one of my all-time favorite GH pairings. (Can we consider GH defunct yet? Does "dead to me" count?)

I mean, really. How in the name of RobertFucking!Scorpio do you hire Lane Davies and waste him like that, not to mention wasting the chemistry between him and NLG? Just HOW?

Jillery

Jillery

Just Tuned In

Posted Nov 25, 2011 @ 9:06 AM

I am so glad there are other AMC Brian and Hayley fans! Hayley was the reason I started watching AMC everyday (my mom watched AMC from the beginning, so I have vague recollections of pre-Hayley stories, like Stuart in the attic and Emily Ann going crazy), and I had a total crush on Brian, so I loved the two of them together. And, I loved when Brian tried to protect Hayley from getting arrested after Will was found dead (don't get me started on how much I loved the Who Killed Will storyline!).

catlover79

catlover79

Fanatic

Posted Nov 25, 2011 @ 3:42 PM

SoMuchWhatever, GH has been dead to me for over 8 years (though I did re-tune in briefly for Genie Francis' guest appearances later on). LD also had a good father/son dynamic with Chad Brannon (Zander) that was completely wasted by TIIC.

What about Scotty & Dominique (Kin Shriner and Shell Danielson)? I thought they made a pretty nice couple. :-)

TaKeela

TaKeela

Just Tuned In

Posted May 11, 2012 @ 10:31 PM

Cass and Kathleen!!! Loved them. The history. I get chills just thinking about it. One of the most beautiful love stories ever displayed on tv.

UseYourIllusion

UseYourIllusion

Couch Potato

Posted May 12, 2012 @ 12:01 AM

OLTL:

Max Holden & Gabrielle Medina. I'll be the first to admit that I have had to watch all of their 1987-1991 stuff online, and the time that I DID get to watch of them (2001-2003), they were largely over as a couple. The rest I have only read about in the OLTL book or on the old OLTL History Pages site. But I fell for them so hard, almost from the first time I saw them onscreen. The fact that they really didn't spend all that much time as a truly romantic couple--officially together or married--onscreen, and yet are STILL considered a supercouple, speaks volumes to how great they truly were. As a result, I have never really given Luna a chance--I hated her from the moment I saw her referred to as "the one" for Max in the OLTL book (in my defense, I was 12, LOL), although I found a few other things to hate her for, too. But Max & Gabrielle--damn. It still makes NO sense to me how these two weren't reunited in the end. Granted, there will always be the idea out there that Max only went back to her because Luna was dead, but that would have made for a VERY interesting story on the show--a possible insecurity Gabrielle might have felt going back to Max after he lost the woman he married after she went to prison. In any case, I loved them--I actually loved them almost as much as friends as I did lovers. Their whole friendship in 2003 was nothing short of awesome (and no one will EVER be able to convince me that Max DIDN'T fall back in love with her, no matter how many times he mentioned Luna. Hell, it could be argued that he mentioned her in part to remove him focusing on Gabby being with Bo by then). It was what happened later that year that broke my heart (and drove me from the show for years).

And Gabrielle's death--Max's reaction, as much as it would have broke my heart, NEEDED to be onscreen. Hell, just MENTION that he knows about it. I don't even think TIIC did THAT.

Knowing that he eventually moved back to Argentina (where Gabrielle was from), away from North Carolina (where Luna was from), does ease the pain a bit, though. (Although him kissing Blair--blech, NO.)

Someday, I will come up with a fab fan fiction story that brings them back together, which hopefully will befit and respect both their characters.

ETA: I put "fab fiction" instead of "fan fiction", but decided to keep it because I do believe that whatever I eventually come up with will be just fab.

Edited by UseYourIllusion, May 12, 2012 @ 12:07 AM.

catlover79

catlover79

Fanatic

Posted Jun 2, 2012 @ 2:39 AM

I also loved Santa Barbara's Lionel and Augusta Lockridge (Nicolas Coster and Louise Sorel). They could leave you dissolved in tears from laughter one minute and in tears of sadness the next.

Edited by catlover79, Jun 2, 2012 @ 2:40 AM.

catlover79

catlover79

Fanatic

Posted Jul 11, 2012 @ 2:15 AM

How about RH's Delia and Roger? I think they were to the 70s what Gina and Keith of SB were to the 80s. They were fun, passionate, silly, crazy and wild!!! :-)

Ulkis

Ulkis

Stalker

Posted Jul 11, 2012 @ 4:57 PM

from AMC: Ryan and Gillian, Ryan and Kendall, Babe and JR for a time and from ATWT: Jack and Carly, and Ali and Aaron with the first Alison.

TeeVee329

TeeVee329

Stalker

Posted Jul 13, 2012 @ 11:52 AM

From later days AMC, two couples I really enjoyed were Scott and Madison and Tad and Cara.

Jillery

Jillery

Just Tuned In

Posted Jul 13, 2012 @ 1:27 PM

I really liked Scott and Madison at the end of AMC, too (although no where near as much as Brian and Hayley). I missed most of Scott's re-introduction to AMC, but I when I heard Daniel Cosgrove was back as Scott, that, and the announcement of the ending, got me to tune back in. However, I never really got the Tad - Cara appeal. He was just too old for her and the amount of eye make-up she would wear made my eyes hurt!

Spazzo47

Spazzo47

Fanatic

Posted Jul 13, 2012 @ 5:31 PM

I accidentally started rewatching GL's early Ross and Blake, from the moment she realized she could get back at her mother by seducing him through when he told her he gave up the senate for her. They were my favorite couple for a long time because of that arc alone and time has not taken any of that away -- especially the chemistry between JvD and SS. It's interesting. Sherry Stringfield was the Blake that could seduce Ross (I don't think LK could have done what SS did with that part of the story). Liz Keifer was the Blake that could marry Ross (SS's Blake wouldn't have been able to settle down with him I don't think).

AndySmith

AndySmith

Couch Potato

Posted Aug 22, 2013 @ 2:37 PM

AMC

Erica/Dimitri - Erica's best coupling, if you ask me.

Tad/Dixie

OLTL

Clint/Viki - They ruined them for...Sloan? Ew.

Bo/Nora - They were so "average" looking, by soap standards, but we so much fun, and so sexy as well.

Dynasty

Alexis/Dex - They were hot, dysfunctional as they were.

Knots Landing

Abby/Gary -  There were times where I preferred them over Val/Gary...and I liked Val and Gary together!

Greg and Laura/Abby/Paige - All 3 couplings were very different, but all worked in their own way.

Melrose Place

Michael/Kimberly

Michael/Sydney

Jake/Jo

Amanda/Peter

Lilybee

Lilybee

Fanatic

Posted Aug 22, 2013 @ 3:07 PM

My favorite soap couple is RH's Mary Ryan and Jack Fenelli. So much chemistry there.

hypnotoad16

hypnotoad16

Fanatic

Posted Aug 22, 2013 @ 4:27 PM

Olivia and Natalia from GL

Ross and Blake from GL

Holly and Roger from GL (yeah they were a mess, but they were a fascinating mess)

Cass and Kathleen from AW

Donna and Matt from AW

Raven and Sky from The Edge of Night

FireFoxy

FireFoxy

Video Archivist

Posted Aug 22, 2013 @ 7:31 PM

Jake and Vicky (they NEVER moved to Oakdale and lived happily ever after)- AW

Cass and Lila- AW

Marley and Tyrone- AW

Matt and Donna- AW

Josie and Gary- AW

Phillip and Harley- GL

Buzz and Jenna- GL

OriginalMichelle and Danny- GL

Blake and Ross- GL

Dinah and Shayne (can't believe they broke them up!)- GL

Jonathan and Tammy (still don't understand why they killed her and didn't let them ride off into the sunset)- GL

Bill and Lizzie- GL

Frank and Eleni- GL

Coop and Lizzie- GL

Simon and Katie (should've been endgame!)- ATWT

Hal and Barbara- ATWT

Craig and Sierra- ATWT

Lucy and Dusty v.1-ATWT

Edited by FireFoxy, Aug 22, 2013 @ 7:33 PM.

discorules

discorules

Couch Potato

Posted Aug 23, 2013 @ 7:43 AM

Barnabas and Julia/DS

Luke and Reid/ATWT

Luis and Sheridan/Passions

Ulkis

Ulkis

Stalker

Posted Aug 23, 2013 @ 1:49 PM

Jonathan and Tammy (still don't understand why they killed her and didn't let them ride off into the sunset)- GL

They wanted to give him an Emmy reel. Stupid writers.

Jazzygem

Jazzygem

Video Archivist

Posted Aug 23, 2013 @ 3:02 PM

AMC

Ryan & Gillian - His best pairing, IMO.

Brooke & Edmund 

Noah & Julia

Hayley & Brian

OLTL

Dorian & Mel - Dorian had met her match.

Max & Gabrielle - I don't think there has been a hotter couple on any soap, ever.

Cassie & Kevin

Andy & Antonio - It was a nice "man is redeemed through the love of a good woman" story. 

ATWT

Lucy & Dusty - the first time around.

Alison & Aaron - the first time around.

Jennifer & Dusty

GL

Danny & Michelle - only with the original Michelle

Dinah & Mallet

Bill & Olivia

annsterg

annsterg

Fanatic

Posted Aug 23, 2013 @ 3:02 PM

Both from ATWT:

Julie/Caleb - loved them together but it was so so shortlived.

RealEmily/Brock - so.much.chemistry; another regrettably shortlived pairing but smoking while it lasted. and WTF happened to those diamonds, anyway?