4-11: "Call of Duty" 2011.11.15 (recap)

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.

163 replies to this topic

TWoP Howard

TWoP Howard

Stalker

• Interests:If you have a question for me, please use the Messenger/PM system to do that rather than leaving a question on this page (unless youíre a Just Tuned In, who wonít be able to use it until youíve made ten posts). Thanks!

Posted Nov 15, 2011 @ 1:48 AM

From TWoP and ZAP2it:

SAMCRO faces a powerful adversary that jeopardizes their business with the cartel.

Itís a ninety minute episode tonight.

Edited by TWoP Howard, Nov 22, 2011 @ 4:28 AM.

john68

john68

Channel Surfer

Posted Nov 15, 2011 @ 11:31 PM

Wow

Dagamuffin

Dagamuffin

Video Archivist

Posted Nov 15, 2011 @ 11:34 PM

I'll see your "wow", and raise you a "holy sh*t"!

At least Opie knows about Clay.

Poor Kozik.

And Juice & Chibs? Love them.

Edited by Dagamuffin, Nov 15, 2011 @ 11:34 PM.

haleyj

haleyj

Fanatic

Posted Nov 15, 2011 @ 11:34 PM

Always fear a man who knows he has an expiration date.

CoralFang

CoralFang

Channel Surfer

Posted Nov 15, 2011 @ 11:35 PM

I can't even begin to process this episode. Ah!

White Lies

White Lies

Couch Potato

Posted Nov 15, 2011 @ 11:38 PM

What just happened?!

I feel like there's so much I should be saying, but there are no words. There is no way to formulate my thoughts into anything cohesive.

My poor Opie.

peridot16

peridot16

Video Archivist

Posted Nov 15, 2011 @ 11:40 PM

What a good episode. I knew Wendy would be coming back to start shit. Why the hell would she come when she knows that Tara is in the hospital.

There are so many lies, I keep forgetting who knows what. I thought Gemma already knew that Jax was planning on leaving.

Since Tig gave up his title, does that mean he's leaving the club? Unser really doesn't have a life, he spent the entire day at the clubhouse.

Poor Opie really doesn't have anyone now. He gave his entire life to the club and has nothing but shit to show for it.

haleyj

haleyj

Fanatic

Me either. Including the very possibility that Otto will cause their downfall first.

crimedog

crimedog

Loyal Viewer

Tough week for Kenny Johnson - he was on Prime Suspect too and that just got canceled.

What did Tig turn in to Clay - did he resign his right hand status?

madammolly

madammolly

Channel Surfer

Oh man! That really was some call of duty shit!

Tig, I heart you, the fear/arousal around the dolls and then the repulsion/heartbreak when he saw Genma. It was captivating to watch!

I think I am still processing a lot of it.

Wow indeedi

haleyj

haleyj

Fanatic

Posted Nov 15, 2011 @ 11:41 PM

Crimedog, yes, after he saw Gemma.

Edited by TWoP Howard, Nov 16, 2011 @ 5:14 AM.
Save the @ for Twitter, please

Raachel2008

Raachel2008

Loyal Viewer

Posted Nov 15, 2011 @ 11:43 PM

Damn, they killed Lem. Again.

CouchSnarky

CouchSnarky

Just Tuned In

Posted Nov 15, 2011 @ 11:46 PM

I literally cannot take this season. My stomach is in knots. There is so much pain. Otto's pain in giving up his club, which is obvious in his request to move up his execution date. Opie's pain in the realization that the club he loves so much is responsible for the death of the 2 people closest to him. Gemma's pain in realizing the family she created is falling apart, Jucie's pain in seeing that the club would not have cared about his race, and it's leading to the senseless death of Miles. Tara's pain, never being able to operate, the mother of her son showing up and taking away everything she worked for to build her family. Bobby's pain for Louann, Tig's pain for Gemma.

All of it set in motion by the single most monsterous person in that club.

Tig better not be going anywhere. Watching his hurt looking at Gemma and realizing that his club is no more, was brutal.

Clay will die. At this point, at the hands of anyone that gets to him first.

I know i'm missing like, a ton more things that happened in this episode, but I still cannot fully process it. My gosh.

wonder1859

wonder1859

Channel Surfer

Posted Nov 15, 2011 @ 11:47 PM

This episode broke my heart. Everyone in it broke my heart. Tara's self-destructiveness and Juice's realization that's he's screwed himself seven ways to Sunday; Tig making the decision he did; Opie finding Piney and Unser pointing that massive sadness and rage right in Clay's direction and all the way to, yes, the single tear Clay shed. Just broke my heart.

Kudos to everyone involved. Wow, what an episode.

Is it next Tuesday yet?

haleyj

haleyj

Fanatic

Posted Nov 15, 2011 @ 11:47 PM

raachel2008 - They even blew him up again!

Edited by TWoP Howard, Nov 16, 2011 @ 5:15 AM.
Save the @ for Twitter, please

Egeria

Egeria

Couch Potato

Posted Nov 15, 2011 @ 11:51 PM

peridot16- I think Wendy had no idea how bad Tara was hurt or how she was hurt. I guess it doesn't seem as insensitve to me given that Tara works at the hospital. Wendy didn't show up knowing she was going to find Tara injured. Maybe she should have left once she found out, but really, I think Jax is the one she should have approached in the first place.

I think I feel for Wendy because Jax and Tara really don't have the high road in my opinion. They are living a life that is a constant physical threat to their children. Is Wendy really more dangerous than Jax/Tara?

Gemma is a master manipulator. She has Opie right where she wants him. Love her. Wendy should fear her more than anyone else.

onimos

onimos

Loyal Viewer

Posted Nov 15, 2011 @ 11:53 PM

I think in an interview long ago Sutter said that Wendy was like Ophelia (self destructive, willing to die for love of Jax) and Tara was like, urg, I forget but someone/thing much less destructive...I wonder if he's changed his mind? That 'Ophelia' looked very much revived and I loved, LOVED, how she countered Gemma's bluster, bravado, and Gemmaness with the cold hard reality of a lawyer.

The power these people build in their heads, the illusions, versus the real world of a lawyer and drug cartels. I can't even process the rest of this episode yet but it totally redeemed a season to me.

Nerva

Nerva

Video Archivist

Posted Nov 16, 2011 @ 12:00 AM

Did anyone else see Bobby's eyes roll when Clay said none of them thought the cartel deal would cause so many problems? That and Juice's Call of Duty line hadvme laughing in the same episode with two hugh painful scenes from Tara and Opie.

I notice everyone was telling half truths in this episode--Gemma told Jax about Tara's arm but not Wendy; Unser told Opie about Piney but not Tara; and Wendy told Phil she was family. All season half truths have caused huge problems so I am sure that will continue.

badhabit

badhabit

Channel Surfer

Posted Nov 16, 2011 @ 12:04 AM

First, let me say I truly enjoyed the episode, but... I could have done without the 45 minutes dedicated to war games. I wasn't bored, but I wasn't enthralled either. The emotional character scenes throughout really made this top notch though, and overcame my aversion to murder every five seconds. I felt like I was in another country, not Northern Cali for a while there.

Knew Wendy would be back to stir the pot, and was sadly not disappointed. Tonight pretty much confirmed to me why I've never liked Wendy. She's a smug entitled bitch. She waltzes into Tara's hospital room at an obviously bad time, and wants to flaunt how awesome she's doing in life. Seriously? And no one can convince me that she wasn't getting a thrill out of seeing the good doctor down on her luck, while her the former junkie Jax threw aside was doing just dandy. SMUG. I was glad Tara made it clear that she was Abel's mother, and SHE IS. Bottom line is Wendy couldn't deal, and didn't want to when she realized Jax didn't want her anymore. She left Tara to be mommy to that child, and that carries consequences. For all intents and purposes the person Abel is closest to is actually Tara, not even his own father Jax who's been in prison for the most formative time in his life so far. So Wendy can shove it with her Mother Theresa act. I don't buy it. Gemma offered her a solution (that I found a bit high handed myself, the only people who should be offering access to Abel are Jax/Tara, not Gemma, but I digress) - Wendy didn't take it. She started making threats. Something tells me Mamabear Gemma following by the newly ferocious Tara won't be having that. Only amusing thing about Wendy's visit was finding out she's switched teams. Please Sutter, PLEASE, just let Jax know this. It amuses me to no end, and doesn't entirely surprise me.

Juice/Chibs... Well, Chibs is simply an awesome man. I love him. I truly, truly do. Juice basically screwed up his entire life for nothing. Chibs non reaction proved that. And with all the crap going on within the club right now it really is hard to believe they'd ever consider his maybe black daddy when as Chibs said the paperwork proves otherwise. Roosevelt and Potter had nothing, and Juice was insecure enough to fall for it. Now he really is in deep, and can't find a way out. I want Juice to live, but I honestly don't see how he digs himself out of this.

The Cartel providing the people who tried to take Tara rang false for me. I still don't buy it. And if in the end the botched kidnapping was the cartel I call foul. They were totally inept. Hell, Gemma could do a better job than a Cartel. Sad. Romeo rings false to me. He's too eager for the Irish. I still think there is something in the works there that we've yet to see. Clay is foolishly falling right into their hands. Speaking of Clay...

He's lost everything. Gemma wants him dead. Unser wants him dead. Jax loathes him beyond anything else. Bobby sees him for the fool he is. And now Tig has turned his back on him. I was dying for Tig to see Gemma's battered face, and Kim Coates did not disappoint. I truly believe Tig has a special kind of adoration and respect for Gemma, and seeing what Clay did to her was the final straw. I was truly hit with the emotional impact of EVERYONE walking away from Clay. And I can't feel bad for him, not even a little. He set this all in motion. If he had just left Tara alone Gemma never would have turned on him. It's time for his death now.

Otto pretty much owned Potter all episode. It actually felt like Potter feared him a bit. I really hope that Bobby comes through in the end, and Otto doesn't give Potter what he needs. I'd hate to see his lifelong loyalty come to this. Let him go out proud. I just can't see any of this sitting right with him. Potter makes me ill every time he's on screen. Just shut up already you quirky fool.

I felt for Jax in this episode, but I really feel he's a bit delusional. I think Tara basically told him what he wanted to hear. She does believe him that this is what he intends, and wants, but she doesn't believe it's truly possible. She's right of course. Jax is on a path he can never get off of. He can only hope to change it for future generations so his sons don't suffer the same fate. I see Tara being the one who really has to get through to him. He won't hear it from anyone else. The Jax/Gemma scene was fantastic. I truly felt the love and respect between them for the first time this season. Poor Jax though it's just one bad hit after the next. Must feel a lot like quick sand to him, and the worst part is he fully admits it's all his fault. He stupidly set this all in motion. I give him so much credit for accepting that, and not pushing the blame to anyone else. That's why he's ten times the man Clay could ever hope to be, and everyone in that club and around Jax, sees that.

Side note, I appreciate Mags having so much concern for Tara, and even Gemma tonight but she's grating on my nerves big times. She makes really big assumptions about Jax, and the Jax/Tara relationship. I get wanting the best for Tara, but it's almost like Tara is a hormone driven teenager in her mind, instead of the fully grown woman and mother she actually is. Tara is not delusional, nor is she love sick. She understands the decisions she's made, whether good or bad. I don't think she needs Mags running all around trying to scare the bikers off. It's become annoying, at least to this viewer.

OPIE! Man, oh man, Ryan killed it. I could feel it all crumbling around him. First calling it quits with Lyla and admitting the ghost of Donna was still there. Then the fight with Jax, just that felt damn depressing, and finally... Piney. I shed a few tears for that, and then championed Unser for finally finding his balls and doing the right thing. Enough secrets. Opie deserved to know what Clay had done. Now true justice can finally be set in motion.

Oh, and for the love of God can they stop acting like Tara is out of danger. Does Gemma really think Clay just gave up? Does Unser? [snip] I don't get why suddenly Romeo is fine with Clay handling this. Seems really inept. I also don't think Clay has the balls to kill Tara face to face. My bet is he either crumbles on his own or Opie or Gemma get to him first. I'd love it to be Jax, but I don't know how Clay could survive to the finale (or beyond if Sutter intends for that) if Jax ever finds out Clay has tried to kill Tara.

Edited by TWoP Howard, Nov 16, 2011 @ 5:18 AM.
Previews are off-topic in the episode thread

DB in London

DB in London

Fanatic

Posted Nov 16, 2011 @ 12:15 AM

Hmm... is anybody thinking that Gemma is going to set it up so that Wendy takes the bullet meant for Tara? Convenient time for her to reenter the picture...

The actor who played Kozik was on Prime Suspect? Damn, that sucks for him - his character on SOA killed and PS cancelled on the very same day.

Edited by DB in London, Nov 16, 2011 @ 12:36 AM.

badhabit

badhabit

Channel Surfer

Posted Nov 16, 2011 @ 12:18 AM

I think Gemma's going to do something to Wendy. She doesn't want her around, and doesn't trust her at all. I get where Wendy is coming from, but it was a mistake threatening Gemma with lawyers. That's just going to make her attack. She should have waited until Tara was out of the hospital and then dealt with Jax/Tara directly. Gemma will never give her what she seeks, because Gemma doesn't view the situation in a moral right/wrong way. She sees Wendy as a roadblock to J/T's family dreams, and she feels guilty enough right now to do whatever she needs to to help them.

ttfr1

ttfr1

Couch Potato

Posted Nov 16, 2011 @ 12:23 AM

What just happened?!

I feel like there's so much I should be saying, but there are no words. There is no way to formulate my thoughts into anything cohesive.

My poor Opie.

I know. He's devastated. The whole revisiting of Donna's death, his rift with Jax over the lies about the cartel and finding his father murdered. How much more can one man take? He's a hot-head, too. Quiet but a hot-head. I'm so afraid he's going to get himself killed. I can see him just barging into the club house and attacking Clay only to get shot. He needs to simmer down and form a plan.

And, speaking of 'how much more can one take'--Tara! Wow! Wendy couldn't have picked a worst time to try and stake claim on Able. Tara may have lost the ability to do what she loves and now she's faced with the possibility that she could lose Able. She sees that child as much hers as Thomas is. She can't take anymore. She's definitely reached the end of her tether.

Tig, I heart you, the fear/arousal around the dolls and then the repulsion/heartbreak when he saw Genma. It was captivating to watch!

That doll thing was funny as Hell. Since Op knew of his doll fear he asked Tig how he was and Tig said something like, 'terrified and erect'. LOL I actually HATE Tig but there is a wee bit of love there too, I guess.

BakerX2

BakerX2

Fanatic

Posted Nov 16, 2011 @ 12:26 AM

Holy fucking shit....

Shocked that they killed Kozik off like that. Granted, I figured he was dead man walking when KJ signed on to Prime Suspect, but damn. Damn damn damn....

And yes, part of me wishes they would have exploded Juice instead, since at least that way, Juice dying a completely random death would have let them wrap up his entire storyline in one fell swoop.

(And yes, I pray that Kozik's brother turns out to be a twin brother. Or Michael Chiklis, in a "holy shit" type cameo so we can get Chiklis delivering a smackdown upon the club over how they got his brother killed over their illegal crap at Kozik's funeral)

So what exactly is the point of Gemma's "It's Got To Be A Son" comment last episode if she's going to tell Jax that she and she alone will handle Clay? Why not tell Uncer she'll kill Clay herself, when she has a chance to do so and get away with it?

As for Wendy, I'm OK with her coming back and stirring shit up; she may have her flaws but at least she seems to be trying to change and actually doing so, while Tara/Jax/Gemma seem to be making excuse after excuse for themselves and why they don't seem to be able to escape their problems.

At this point, I kind of hope we get a Dynasty type "kill them all" ending: Opie opening fire at Clay/Gemma/Jax/Tara/other members of the club and leaving us to wait a year to see who lives or dies.

Edited by BakerX2, Nov 16, 2011 @ 12:26 AM.

vadare

vadare

Video Archivist

Posted Nov 16, 2011 @ 12:26 AM

Wow, OMG and Holy Shit all rolled into one.

There is so much to process:

1. RIP Kozik...and boy, I hadn't heard "Prime Suspect" (the US version) had been cancelled. It sucks to be Kenny Johnson. (And I did have to laugh at his arm landing next to poor Juice.)

2. Did anyone else notice that this ep was written by two women and directed by a woman? Yeah, buddy!

3. Mama vadare and I had to turn away and fast forward through Tara tearing up her arm again. <all over body shudder>

4. I'm sure the high-pitched screech of a land mind was something Clay never. wanted. to. hear. again. For a split second, I felt for him. But only a split second. Then I wanted him to trip on one. Then realized that no, that would be too quick and painless.

5. I heart the scene of Chibs and Juice in the bathroom. And the line Chibs delivered at the end...something like, "What is this? Two men hugging in a bathroom." LOL!

6. I think I love Wendy and I didn't think I would. Really, Gemma...did you think Wendy was going to be afraid of you with your face all beat up like that? (Reminded me of the end of the Due South episode "The Deal"...anyone else?)

7. Even with Juice realizing the club won't care about his Black father, I still think Juice is not quite comfortable with all the death and killing. To mis-quote Shakespeare, "Get thee to a monastery".

8. Re: Clay's single tear--was that in remorse for what he had done to Gemma, or was it because Tig had turned in his "Sargent-at-Arms" badge?

9. Re: Potter's cryptic "I wish I didn't know" to Otto. Okay, I realize that was hugely anvil-licious, but color me very intrigued.

There's so much more I could write, but I want to get this in here. All last season, K. Sutter wrote (or directed the writing of) episodes that made Gemma front-and-center (for the most part) and expected Academy recognition. When it didn't come, he got diarrhea of the mouth bitching about it, but several of us here were of the opinion that hey, we had seen better not just of this show, but of other shows last year. It looks like this season he has let others have a crack at it (sometimes), has decided to amp up the storyline and not just write it around one character and what do you know? This season has, so far, been kicking all kinds of serious ass. There is not a weak link in this entire cast, the writing has been amped up for EVERY character and (as Lightning McQueen would say) KA-CHOW! It's a great show that, this year, should get some Emmy luv.

If, K. Sutter's bitching hasn't already poisoned the water.

And one last thing...my money's on either Romeo, his second-in-command or both being a Fed.

Came back to say a few things:

Did anyone else hear the choir of angels sing "Hallelujah" when Jax finally said the words, "I'm and idiot and I'm as delusional as Clay is"?

I felt for Jax in this episode, but I really feel he's a bit delusional. I think Tara basically told him what he wanted to hear. She does believe him that this is what he intends, and wants, but she doesn't believe it's truly possible. She's right of course. Jax is on a path he can never get off of. He can only hope to change it for future generations so his sons don't suffer the same fate. I see Tara being the one who really has to get through to him. He won't hear it from anyone else. The Jax/Gemma scene was fantastic. I truly felt the love and respect between them for the first time this season. Poor Jax though it's just one bad hit after the next. Must feel a lot like quick sand to him, and the worst part is he fully admits it's all his fault. He stupidly set this all in motion. I give him so much credit for accepting that, and not pushing the blame to anyone else. That's why he's ten times the man Clay could ever hope to be, and everyone in that club and around Jax, sees that.

Word word 1000 times word on this and on this:

OPIE! Man, oh man, Ryan killed it. I could feel it all crumbling around him. First calling it quits with Lyla and admitting the ghost of Donna was still there. Then the fight with Jax, just that felt damn depressing, and finally... Piney. I shed a few tears for that, and then championed Unser for finally finding his balls and doing the right thing. Enough secrets. Opie deserved to know what Clay had done. Now true justice can finally be set in motion.

Edited by vadare, Nov 16, 2011 @ 12:40 AM.

ttfr1

ttfr1

Couch Potato

Posted Nov 16, 2011 @ 12:40 AM

But, Unser is using Opie as the weapon to take out Clay. If Gemma and Unser want Clay dead so badly, why don't they do it themselves? [snip] It's not that I don't want Ope to kill Clay. I've wanted that since Donna's death. But, Opie's raging emotion and full of vengful hate. Going after Clay like that could get him killed.

Edited by TWoP Howard, Nov 16, 2011 @ 5:20 AM.

vadare

vadare

Video Archivist

Posted Nov 16, 2011 @ 12:46 AM

But, Unser is using Opie as the weapon to take out Clay. If Gemma and Unser want Clay dead so badly, why don't they do it themselves? [snip] It's not that I don't want Ope to kill Clay. I've wanted that since Donna's death. But, Opie's raging emotion and full of vengful hate. Going after Clay like that could get him killed.

True, ttfr1, but I don't think Opie gives a shit anymore. Clay has already taken both Donna and Piney away from him, plus the club has robbed him of 5 years of his life...if I were Opie, you'd be hard pressed to convince me that Clay does not deserve death at my hand.

Edited by TWoP Howard, Nov 16, 2011 @ 5:21 AM.

doomblade403x

doomblade403x

Channel Surfer

Posted Nov 16, 2011 @ 12:49 AM

I have suspected Romeo's second in command for a while of being a turncoat, but I don't think he's a fed. Even if he had blanket immunity for anything and everything covered under the cartel pervue, they would not let him get away with murder. He would have to answer for the killing of the alledged turncoat Mayan as well as the niner gunfight. My money is on Lobos Senoras or whatever.

Egeria

Egeria

Couch Potato

Posted Nov 16, 2011 @ 12:50 AM

I definitely think that Gemma will either have Wendy killed or hooked on drugs again. This is a character that will definitely be sacrificed on the alter of Jax/Tara's toxic love, which I will never root for no matter how hard this show tries to sell it.

I didn't see Wendy as smug at all, just naive. Anyone who knows how this criminal organization works should have lawyered up before approaching these people. I thought it was pretty respectful of her to go to Tara. An acknowledgement of Tara's place in Abel's life. I don't think that's what someone would do if they were trying to really be a bitchy. Wendy had no way of knowing that Tara is unbalanced right now. I also don't think she was trying to rub it in Tara's face that she's doing well, while Tara isn't. She was trying to prove that she has her life together so that Tara will agree to let her have visitation. It's not like Wendy's career and education is anywhere near on par with Tara's. Is any doctor going to be intimidated by a 35 year old managing to get their BA?

I agree that Tara is the only mother Abel knows, but I think she is an incredibly bad (in fact criminal) one who allows him to be in danger on a daily basis. At least Wendy is trying to lead a straight life (as far as we know) and it doesn't seem like she had anywhere near the advantages and options Tara did when she chose to get involved with all this violence.

My only problem is that Wendy is the character would be a lot more believable and sympathetic to me if she were about 10 years younger. Tara and Wendy both lose major points with me by being way too old to bring children into this jacked up situation. Lila has more sense than either of them.

Edited by Egeria, Nov 16, 2011 @ 12:51 AM.

Blue32

Blue32

Fanatic

Posted Nov 16, 2011 @ 12:55 AM

Tig was perfection, doll-induced terror/arousal and all. I loved his reaction to Gemma--there was so much horror at what had been done to her mixed with tenderness--and how he just made up his mind then and there: no bluster, no posturing, no ranting and raving.

I also liked Gemma's look across the lot to Clay at the end. It was almost...pitying, like "What did you expect?"

Did anyone else hear the choir of angels sing "Hallelujah" when Jax finally said the words, "I'm and idiot and I'm as delusional as Clay is"?

I know I did.

I definitely think that Gemma will either have Wendy killed or hooked on drugs again.

Yup. Wendy's going to regret sparking Gemma's ire, for sure.

I'd never noticed before, but apropos of nothing, Lyla's actress has really lovely eyes.

Edited by Blue32, Nov 16, 2011 @ 1:01 AM.

Atomic Clock

Atomic Clock

Fanatic

Posted Nov 16, 2011 @ 1:09 AM

Always fear a man who knows he has an expiration date.

That can be Uncer's epitath. He can share it with Walter White.

I know Wendy is largely unsympathetic, but you can't minimize the role Gemma played in driving her out of Jax's life the first time. I think it was in the very first episode that Gemma threatened to go after Wendy if she tried to interfere with Jax and Able in any way.