2-5: "Chupacabra" 2011.11.13

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.

390 replies to this topic

TWoP Tennison

TWoP Tennison

Fanatic

• Interests:Moderating

Posted Nov 13, 2011 @ 2:42 PM

The group makes a plan that Hershel disagrees with adamantly.

Note: Please remember not to discuss previews or future plots from the comics or other spoilers in here.

AimingforYoko

AimingforYoko

Stalker

Posted Nov 13, 2011 @ 10:01 PM

Silly Glenn, don't you know curiosity killed the geeky Asian guy?
Man, if Angela had killed Daryl, poor Laurie Holden would have had to leave the country.
And the meta dialogue of the week goes to Herschel: "It's a wonder you've survived as long as you have."

Carsy11

Carsy11

Loyal Viewer

Posted Nov 13, 2011 @ 10:01 PM

Anybody else not surprised with what Glen found in the barn

Edited by TWoP Tennison, Nov 14, 2011 @ 6:32 AM.
Not a spoiler

SlovakPrincess

SlovakPrincess

Fanatic

Posted Nov 13, 2011 @ 10:02 PM

Um . . . wow. I'm not sure I would've pulled the THICK, feathery end of the arrow through my abdomen . . . maybe would've gone the other way with that one, Daryl.

Also, nice ear necklace, you big weirdo.

What was all the talk about women being emotional and hormonal creatures. And apparently also they're stupid silly people who shoot when they're told not to. Sigh. I really hope they do something else with the female characters soon. This is starting to really grate on me . . .

I'm starting to think poor Sophia is definitely a goner now. These people cannot seem to stop getting injured instead of actually searching for her.

Hershel: It's a wonder you people have survived this long.
Me: I know, right?!

Of course, Hershel's apparently collecting zombies in his barn, so what does he know?

Edited by SlovakPrincess, Nov 13, 2011 @ 10:04 PM.

DasEinhorn

DasEinhorn

Just Tuned In

Hershel: I don't know how you people made it this long (something to that effect)
AMEN, brother.

And what the hell, Andrea??? You're injuring my favorite character!

Edited by DasEinhorn, Nov 13, 2011 @ 10:03 PM.

CharmCity04

CharmCity04

Fanatic

God damn it Andrea! This was the reason why the others were so hesitant about giving you a gun. Because of shit like this. Stop acting stupid.

This episode also shows why Daryl should never wear sleeves again. The first time he does it, he falls of a horse and ends up with a arrow impaled in his side. But, dam even when he hallucinates from blood loss and dehydration, he still remains zen and kicks ass.

But, what the hell was that Zombie Ear necklace for?

ShellsandCheese

ShellsandCheese

Fanatic

Posted Nov 13, 2011 @ 10:03 PM

Hmm. This episode pretty much sums up why I would want to be a one woman show should a ZA ever really occur. The most valuable member of your group gets hurt, and you joke about it? Screw you Dale and Andrea. Also Carol was totally wrong; Daryl is not as good as the rest of them - he is 10x better.

HeadlessOne

HeadlessOne

Loyal Viewer

Posted Nov 13, 2011 @ 10:03 PM

When Daryl made his unfortunate fall down the ravine, my very first thought was at least he uses a weapon that isn't made inoperable by being in contact with water. Then, I had to eat my words when it was revealed that his side had been pierced by his own arrow. Oh how cruel the gods of irony can be!

Speaking of Daryl, I am further convinced by this episode that if every other character should come to some horrific end and the show had to subsist on his story alone I wouldn't be too upset. GHe's such a complex composite of antagonistic forces. On the one hand, he is a hardcore, militant survivalist who has the capacity to weather virtually any scenario as a competent loner; on the other, he is vulnerable and open enough to work well in the group setting, even to the point of sacrificing his own well being for the sake of others. Then, as if that wasn't enough, he's also in constant combat with the social conditioning of his upbringing (the sum of which was projected well onto the hallucination of his brother). Compelling character!

I really don't understand how the dumb blonde (is it Andrea?) shot Daryl. The rest of the group advanced on the suspected walker, and then everyone lowered their weapons once they realized there was no threat. How is it that she didn't pick up on any of these cues? How is it that she still made the decision to fire? Idiot!

There was some Rick, Shane, and Lori stuff. That's about all that registered. I really don't care about their arcs right now.

Oh, and we got the barn revelation!

ReadIshmael

ReadIshmael

Stalker

Posted Nov 13, 2011 @ 10:05 PM

Unsurprisingly, the stuff with Daryl was pretty great. It was nice to finally see Reedus and Michael Rooker get to play off of each other, and the psychology of the whole thing was really fascinating.

Congrats to everyone who guessed something was up with the barn. Herschel was being really shady this week, so I wasn't surprised. It does make me sad for Glenn, though.

The Rick/Shane conflict about how to lead would be more compelling if Shane seemed at all like he was being reasonable instead of just a sleazy creep. I was interested in what he said to Lori about only caring about her and Carl, though, in light of his demonstrated attachment to Rick.

CarpeDiem54

CarpeDiem54

Couch Potato

Wow! Action, some planning, zombies, character development, backstory and limited speechifying.
Of course, the best part of all was lots of the squirrel huntin', horseback ridin', trackin', arrow shot, gun shot, zombie-ear-necklace wearin' Daryl. "People in hell want Slurpees".

Of course I'll have some nitpicking, but this was much better!

Carsy11

Carsy11

Loyal Viewer

I liked the bit of a flashback before everything went to hell.

smijca

smijca

Couch Potato

This episode might have been the best Season 2 episode as of yet. Well paced, good balance of action and pontificating and...LOTS OF DARYL. My goodness I wanted to reach into the screen and throttle Andrea's dumb ass, especially after that smug look on her face before she knew she'd shot Daryl!

Starting to really, truly dislike Shane (yeah, his cold-blooded feeding Otis to the zombies didn't do it but his attitude as of now...I get the survival thing but, I just can't help but appreciate Rick hanging on to his humanity because, without it...might as well be one of the walking dead).

Also, as much as has been said about Carol being an annoying character...that scene with her and Daryl was some great acting. In fact, I've been thinking that the actress who plays Carol is one of the better actresses on this show. I'm glad she countered everything that halluci-Merle was telling Daryl.

And Glenn in the barn with the zombies? Cannot wait for next week's episode!

CharmCity04

CharmCity04

Fanatic

Posted Nov 13, 2011 @ 10:07 PM

I really don't understand how the dumb blonde (is it Andrea?) shot Daryl. The rest of the group advanced on the suspected walker, and then everyone lowered their weapons once they realized there was no threat. How is it that she didn't pick up on any of these cues? How is it that she still made the decision to fire? Idiot!

I know! Unless that walker was Chuck Norris or Andre the Giant, she should have just stopped. But, damn they are really putting Andrea through the mud.

HWavoidance

HWavoidance

Couch Potato

• Interests:Writing, museums, rock concerts, bad puns, good coffee, wine, fangirling ;), Philadelphia, and the increasingly rare good, scripted tv show.

Posted Nov 13, 2011 @ 10:08 PM

I do not care how they do it but they have got to resolve the Sophia storyline next episode, this is ridiculous. And for God's sake Andrea, the only person who should feel worse than you right now is Dale for telling you not to feel bad. "We've all wanted to shoot Daryl." Up yours old man, Daryl was off risking his like for a little girl while you were having book club sexy talk with Glenn. Plus you're creepy in general. I've never wanted to shoot Daryl but I most definitely want to shoot you.

HeadlessOne

HeadlessOne

Loyal Viewer

Posted Nov 13, 2011 @ 10:08 PM

But, what the hell was that Zombie Ear necklace for?

I get that it was symbolic of Daryl reclaiming parts of himself that may have been dampened by time with the group, but on a practical level how long does amputated zombie flesh remain infectious? I mean, if Daryl should ever sustain a chest wound or something and the ears come into contact with that exposed area...it just doesn't seem like a good idea.

StillTheTooth

StillTheTooth

Loyal Viewer

Posted Nov 13, 2011 @ 10:09 PM

Well--I don't know about the rest of y'all, but that was one hell of a show, finally.

It was tense, riveting, chock full of goodness and for once, the dialogue didn't stink.

My favorites:
--Every scene with Daryl and Merle. Bonus: squirrel shootin' from horseback.
--Glenn at the kid's table! Passing notes to Maggie. How cute was that? (If you want to do it, check this box :D )
--Carol bringing Daryl some food, and giving him a kiss for good measure.
--Andrea hitting a target with a gun, even though she almost killed my precious Daryl.
--Rick getting all clenchy-jawed with Herschel about controllin' their respective peoples. Awesome.
--Shane and Rick arguing in the woods, coming out spittin'. The honeymoon is over, folks. I think Rick and Shane just broke up.

Any so much more. This was, for me, an excellent ep. Even though Sophia's still missing, I think the folks behind this show finally got it right.

DimeStormRing

DimeStormRing

Video Archivist

Posted Nov 13, 2011 @ 10:11 PM

I'm so tired of the way they write women on this show.

ubi

ubi

Stalker

Posted Nov 13, 2011 @ 10:12 PM

At last, my suspicions that something fishy was going on at the Hershel homestead were confirmed. I am so tired of them wasting time looking for Sophia and Hershel's comment about how these morons managed to live so long was a definite "Hell yeah!" moment for me.

Is it me or this show slipping into the "50 minutes of not much followed by something shocking" pattern from Lost?

chandapanda

chandapanda

Couch Potato

Posted Nov 13, 2011 @ 10:14 PM

I have to chime in with the "why in HELL did Andrea actually pull the trigger" ... She waited until her party was right there and then shot - she could've hit any of the other guys, unless she's a crack sharpshooter at that distance.

I spent most of the episode going "noooooo, not Daryl" over and over again. I really did try to jump into the TV and stop Andrea from firing. Sadly, it didn't work.

I guess my moist eyes from the episode means I enjoyed it more than the previous installments. Beyond Rick and Shane's yapping at the beginning (and did they just miss seeing a clue left by Sophia? Crack police work there) and Lori's moaning about the pregnancy (and mooning eyes at both guys), this episode was quite entertaining for me (right up there with the first couple of episodes of last season).

Poor Glenn...although I did like his remark to Dale about why he had sex ... he might be dead tomorrow (especially as he just narrowly escaped death via Well Zombie). With the brain trust running the operations, it is a very valid point.

WD69

WD69

Channel Surfer

Posted Nov 13, 2011 @ 10:15 PM

A better episode, but man is this show getting predictable.

Many of us called Lori's pregnancy a mile away, and the creepy Herschel Clan vibe early on.

Many called Merle as a hallucination in last eps preview.

I (along with others) called the zombies in the barn. Fits with all the "it's just another virus, we've found cures for them" "god blah blah" spiel Hershel's been giving. He's hoping to cure his infected folk. The groups will conflict.

Constantinople

Constantinople

Fanatic

Posted Nov 13, 2011 @ 10:15 PM

I blame Dale for Andrea shooting Daryl.

If he stopped telling her what to do 24/7, her trigger finger would've been a lot less itchy.

JstaPwn

JstaPwn

Loyal Viewer

Posted Nov 13, 2011 @ 10:16 PM

I thought this episode was awesome, definitely the best of season 2. I was yelling at the TV at Andrea while she was taking aim at Daryl. I can, however, see how she wouldn't see the others lowering their weapons because while looking through a gun sight she would be locked onto her target. BUT what she did was pretty damn stupid under the circumstances, especially with everyone telling her to stop AND she just learned to shoot so she might have actually missed and shot one of the others. I think they need to shove both Dale and Andrea in the barn.

Carsy11

Carsy11

Loyal Viewer

Posted Nov 13, 2011 @ 10:16 PM

And the understatement of the night goes to Maggie, "you weren't suppose to see this" to Glen. Too bad he didn't have a gun, it would sort of have been like shooting fish in a barrel.

Heatrae

Heatrae

Loyal Viewer

Posted Nov 13, 2011 @ 10:17 PM

I had to rewind the DVR several times to figure out the last line that Maggie said to Glenn inthe barn. I think it was "They were supposed to eat us" Can anyone else concur on that?

That is an important statement if it's what I think. Kind of metaphysical.

Also Merle said that Daryl was trippin on 'Shrooms. Wonder if that was for real. That would explain his hallucintions.

ThatPoshGirl

ThatPoshGirl

Stalker

Posted Nov 13, 2011 @ 10:18 PM

Is it me or this show slipping into the "50 minutes of not much followed by something shocking" pattern from Lost?

Pretty much.

I don't really know how I am supposed to feel about these characters. Are we even meant to like them? Right now, the only people I don't actively hate are Darryl and Glenn.

CharmCity04

CharmCity04

Fanatic

Many called Merle as a hallucination in last eps preview.

I understand the episode title now, Merle is Daryl's "Chupacabra". Basically, an imaginary "creature" that stalks its prey in the woods. Merle is that "creature' that will make Daryl believe that he is better off alone.

WD69

WD69

Channel Surfer

And the understatement of the night goes to Maggie, "you weren't suppose to see this" to Glen. Too bad he didn't have a gun, it would sort of have been like shooting fish in a barrel.

Rule of Hershel's farm. No firearms. "There are certain aspects of this I can not discuss." OH, and don't go near the barn, Rick.

All this was telegraphed a mile away.

Carsy11

Carsy11

Loyal Viewer

The closed caption on my tv had Maggie saying, you weren't supposed to see this.

SlovakPrincess

SlovakPrincess

Fanatic

Posted Nov 13, 2011 @ 10:19 PM

Poor Glenn...although I did like his remark to Dale about why he had sex ... he might be dead tomorrow (especially as he just narrowly escaped death via Well Zombie). With the brain trust running the operations, it is a very valid point.

That part of their conversation cracked me up. If you're in the middle of a zombie apocalypse and most other avenues of joy have been foreclosed to you, having sex versus not having sex is kind of a no-brainer. I could see Hershel's issue with a possible pregnancy, but other than that . . . why wouldn't you?!

This is also the reason I have no issue with Lori doing it with Shane when she thought Rick was gone.

Also Merle said that Daryl was trippin on 'Shrooms. Wonder if that was for real. That would explain his hallucintions.

And the ear necklace . . . I hope.

Edited by SlovakPrincess, Nov 13, 2011 @ 10:21 PM.

Vinny Vidi Vici

Vinny Vidi Vici

Couch Potato

Posted Nov 13, 2011 @ 10:20 PM

I loved everything about this episode, everything. The entire Darryl saga was reminiscent of Deliverance... AND the original Night of the Living Dead.

I loved how the Merle pulling his legs to help him up turned into the waking dream of a zombie pulling his foot. Loved how Carol's words belied Merle's cruelty about how the group regarded him.

I have to say that the couple of minutes of commercial break after Darryl is shot, were the longest two minutes ever. I actually looked on IMDB to see how many episodes Reedus is in... I had to know. I wasn't going to be able to watch the rest otherwise.

I'm fine with Rick/Lori/Shane.
I'm fine with Andrea/Dale.... in fact, I'm liking this arc more and more.

Oh yeah, about the barn: I knew it! I'm going to assume that Hershel is thinking a cure is coming or something.