12-7: "Brain Doe" 2011.11.09

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.

17 replies to this topic

fifty8th

fifty8th

Fanatic

Posted Nov 9, 2011 @ 10:50 PM

When the CSI team arrives at a car crash, they find three casualties and a human brain that doesn't belong to any of the victims. Also, D.B. Russell is concerned his son is not focused on college following his suspension.

Good episode, DB's family stuff was not that bad, not as bad as I remember Catherine's, who they are starting to set up going to DC? Weird.

I am still not warming up to Ecklie's daughter, she just bugs me, and is the only thing I am not liking about the new season. I guess I've never really liked any of the new people brought in right off the bat except DB and I think part of that was just because I disliked Ray so much, it took Sophia moving to the PD for me to warm up to her. With Ray it was the writing of the character, the "Super Ray" I think with Ecklie's daughter is the te acting/actress.

Arnold Robinson

Arnold Robinson

Fanatic

Posted Nov 10, 2011 @ 12:26 AM

I dug Hodges' sound effects for the accident, and DB busting him on it.
I still can't make heads or tails out of the brain plot, though.

Anen

Anen

Couch Potato

Posted Nov 10, 2011 @ 8:28 AM

I enjoyed the episode, but the plot made no sense whatsoever.

1. The kid kills his father.
2. The wife calls her boyfriend who sets things up to look like suicide.
3. The boyfriend calls the pathologist who removes the brain, because that's what the dead guy wanted.
4. The pathologist and the boyfriend conspire with the other fighter guy to steal a healthy brain.

This is where I lose it. Why did the boyfriend call the pathologist in the first place? The wife surely couldn't care less if her husband's wishes were followed -- all she would care about was that her son not be charged with murder. If they'd just gone ahead and cremated the guy, they wouldn't have had to juggle brains and kill pathologists and no one would ever have known about either the murder or the drug scandal at the gym.

MrPissyPuppy

MrPissyPuppy

Fanatic

Posted Nov 10, 2011 @ 11:08 AM

What was with Ecklie's daughter's makeup? In her first scene, I thought she had a bruise and a black eye on the right side of her face. Looking carefully, I can see it's her blush & maybe some smearage around the eye, but wtf did the actress do to make the makeup department hate her? I don't think it's a leftover from her helicopter crash because it looked better in a later scene.

slowpoked

slowpoked

Fanatic

Posted Nov 10, 2011 @ 3:19 PM

I'm just glad this was solved in one episode. I thought they're gonna have another Dr. Jekyll/Mr. Hyde arc over the entire season, but this time with people selling brains in the black market.

iscoffy

iscoffy

Couch Potato

Posted Nov 10, 2011 @ 6:35 PM

I admit to not paying 100% attention during this episode, but did the #17 guy + the #17 order + the #17 football of syringes really equal anything, other than letting Ted Danson talk about the color of the horse? I mean, I get that the gym guy didn't want anyone to know about his special drug regimen, but why the brain-in-the-cooler guy decided to order the #17 when he only ever eats chicken nuggets is not making any sense to me, unless he was leaving some oblique clue. And now my brain hurts.

Anen

Anen

Couch Potato

Posted Nov 10, 2011 @ 10:30 PM

I *think* that dead car guy wasn't trying to order a #17. Didn't they deduce somehow that he was driving around with his old friend's brain and was planning to sell out evil gym guy? (I'm a bit vague on how they deduced that, but I'm pretty sure I heard them say it.) So he realized he was ill or dying and gasped out a clue (as one does) to the squawk box at the restaurant.

OK, that's weak, but so was the whole story.

I was puzzled by something else. The dead guy, before he actually became the dead guy, was driving the convertible, right? Which means he was probably in the driver's seat. But in the overhead shot after the accident, wasn't he shown lying across he passenger side with his feet out where the window would have been and his head towards the driver's seat. Or has my memory flipped the image? If it hasn't, and if it wasn't a British car with right-hand drive, I can't imagine how he got into that position.

Arnold Robinson

Arnold Robinson

Fanatic

Posted Nov 10, 2011 @ 11:43 PM

My guess is that the dead guy wasn't buckled in -- when he od'd he slumped over, and then when the semi hit him he was thrown across the seat.
As for the #17, it sounded like he ordered one. I assumed he was ordering it in honor of dead brain guy, whose #17 game ball he had.

annsterg

annsterg

Fanatic

Posted Nov 11, 2011 @ 1:33 PM

Glad to see I am not the only one who had trouble following the seemingly illogical plot twists...

I see a DC Anvil heading for Catherine...

AND ...after a last week where the kid did NOT do it, CSI returns to form and has the kid be the killer...great Brass scenes. I love me some Brass...

Too much time spent on DB's son for me, though.

jcbrown

jcbrown

Fanatic

Posted Nov 11, 2011 @ 3:18 PM

What was with Ecklie's daughter's makeup? In her first scene, I thought she had a bruise and a black eye on the right side of her face. Looking carefully, I can see it's her blush & maybe some smearage around the eye, but wtf did the actress do to make the makeup department hate her?

I wondered the same thing. She had it just caked on during the autopsy. I don't normally pay attention to makeup but you couldn't not notice it. And why are random CSIs helping with autopsies, anyway? Since when is Ecklie's daughter a pathologist or a coroner?

misterbfd

misterbfd

Fanatic

Posted Nov 11, 2011 @ 10:49 PM

I'm also watching "American Horror Story" and brains figured prominently in both programs.

mertensia

mertensia

Fanatic

Posted Nov 12, 2011 @ 2:28 AM

So it's episode 7 and already we've met DB's son? Man, we'll be meeting his great-uncle by marriage twice removed by May.

The whole brains thing was a little confusing and I actually groaned when the kid admitted to killing dad. Really, kid?

merylinkid

merylinkid

Fanatic

Posted Nov 12, 2011 @ 10:55 AM

Apparently the message we are supposed to get from this show is don't move to Vegas with your family. The kids there are a bunch of murderous bastards.

I am surprised DB's kid didn't off DB for getting on his case about being suspended.

Arnold Robinson

Arnold Robinson

Fanatic

Posted Nov 12, 2011 @ 1:24 PM

I actually groaned when the kid admitted to killing dad. Really, kid?

I did like Brass trying to stop the kid from admitting it. He's kind of a softy some times.

Kel Varnsen

Kel Varnsen

Stalker

Posted Nov 14, 2011 @ 8:36 AM

I did like Brass trying to stop the kid from admitting it. He's kind of a softy some times.

I think it was part because he was a softy and part because if the kid and the mom both admit to it, it creates enough reasonable doubt that it really hurts their case. If they take the mom to trial, her lawyer just says the police have another suspect who admitted to it and if they take the kid to trial (huge if) same thing.

The only thing that bugged me about this episode was that the fake fast food place reminded me of that much better episode from years ago where there was a murder in an actual In-N-Out Burger.

SisterOfSylar

SisterOfSylar

Couch Potato

Posted Nov 14, 2011 @ 6:55 PM

I liked the episode.

DB's son was only there for two scenes, and they were short ones too, and it did not take away from the episode. I liked how the kid was acting like I hate you dad! to DB. I thought it was sweet how they both know they are weird and trying to adapt to new situations.

I liked how Brass tried to stop the kid from confessing. I actually don't think the kid did kill his dad, i think he confessed to protect his mom.

jophan

jophan

Fanatic

• Interests:needlework, science fiction, mysteries

Posted Nov 23, 2011 @ 11:33 AM

I enjoyed the episode, but the plot made no sense whatsoever.

1. The kid kills his father.
2. The wife calls her boyfriend who sets things up to look like suicide.
3. The boyfriend calls the pathologist who removes the brain, because that's what the dead guy wanted.
4. The pathologist and the boyfriend conspire with the other fighter guy to steal a healthy brain.

This is where I lose it. Why did the boyfriend call the pathologist in the first place? The wife surely couldn't care less if her husband's wishes were followed -- all she would care about was that her son not be charged with murder. If they'd just gone ahead and cremated the guy, they wouldn't have had to juggle brains and kill pathologists and no one would ever have known about either the murder or the drug scandal at the gym.

I think 3. was because, by following the victim's wishes, they thought it would raise less suspicion.
4. The pathologist removes the victim's brain, but notifies the gym owner. He pays him off to switch brains so there will be no evidence of injury.

John Potts

John Potts

Fanatic

Posted Apr 24, 2012 @ 5:22 PM

jophan I think 3. was because, by following the victim's wishes, they thought it would raise less suspicion.

Except how much suspicion would it raise if the wife said "Yeah, I couldn't bear the thought of cutting up my husband. Jewish, you know, we like to bury them whole." Though of course, if CSIs simply ignored any evidence as soon as they saw a kid was involved, they could end every episode before the first ad break!

Didn't mind DB's kid, who seemed a pretty normal teenager.