Carol, the real lost little girl

• Please log in to reply

1266 replies to this topic

diebartdie

diebartdie

Couch Potato

Posted Nov 9, 2011 @ 9:47 AM

I feel sorry for Carol. Her husband was a sicko who beat her and diddled their child, she probably grew up in a house full of horror and now she's trying to cope with the ZA. She's so quiet yet her quietness doesnt seem to mask any hidden strength. She's totally freeked out about losing her child yet leaves the search for her to others. Her main (and only?) skills seem to be straightening up, sewing and ironing (and mulching her dead husband's head but thats a pretty limited skill set, how many abusive husbands are left?). She's the real lost little girl.

I like this portrayal a lot. I imagine there would be many people like that in the ZA, utterly lost and confused but too weak to just off themselves, they latch on to any group of survivors and Carol is DAMN lucky her group is overwhelmingly kind! Can you imagine how it would've been for Carol if she had stumbled into a group of Merl's? That would have been so horrible :( I bet most of the other survivors that are like her did end up in bad places like that though....or managed to "fall" off the top of a building or something.

I hope Carol's story arc lets her go more and more insane. TV show doesn't have to go where the comic did with her but I do want to see how far down the rabbit hole she goes.

Doom

Doom

Stalker

Posted Nov 9, 2011 @ 10:10 AM

I would love to have her become useful, or at least interesting. Right now she just sobs every episode, and looks forlorn. I swore last season she weighed a little more and when they released the promo shots for this season she looked like she had dropped a good 40 lbs. Then I went back and watched most of S1 and she hadn't changed much at all. I think Ed's lard was clouding my vision.

morrigan2575

morrigan2575

Fanatic

Posted Nov 9, 2011 @ 10:51 AM

At this point I'm ambivalent about Carol she's just kind of there, most times I forget about her until something with Sophia turns up.

HelenBack

HelenBack

Fanatic

Posted Nov 9, 2011 @ 11:07 AM

I couldn't say why, exactly, but I just love Carol. She hits me in the soft spot. I hope to see her grow some.

blackwing

blackwing

Stalker

Posted Nov 9, 2011 @ 11:10 AM

Even last season when she wasn't sitting around moping about her lost child, I thought she was useless. Sure, she was abused. And she got her revenge by pickaxing dead Ed's face. But that's it, she did nothing else the entire rest of the season.

I think physically she resembles a poor man's Jamie Lee Curtis, but she has none of the personality or survival instincts or general kickassness.

The Magus

The Magus

Couch Potato

Posted Nov 9, 2011 @ 1:29 PM

I think I actually like the TV Carol better than the comic Carol, but it's hard to tell, because the show, in general, seems reluctant to have anyone do anything. Considering that the actress who plays her has had to play the exact same emotion for 4-5 episodes in a row, I think she's doing a great job.

Milan23

Milan23

Fanatic

Posted Nov 9, 2011 @ 1:43 PM

I like Carol as a character - I think that diebartdie has it right with this:

I imagine there would be many people like that in the ZA, utterly lost and confused but too weak to just off themselves, they latch on to any group of survivors

I've said it before but I enjoy this type of show because of the human reactions and interactions after an apocalyptic event - this is a very real portrayal and a huge number of people would be like Carol. She is willing to cook and clean but isn't very useful outside of her element. She's not tough and I do believe that she would wither and die if left on her own - some people just don't have it in them to toughen up.

Plus, I thought the actress did a great job in the scene with Norman Reedus - she hit just the right note of a mom wanting to hope but feeling incredibly helpless. Imagine if it had been the actress that played Lori in that scene?

diebartdie

diebartdie

Couch Potato

Posted Nov 9, 2011 @ 2:47 PM

Imagine if it had been the actress that played Lori in that scene?

I have no doubt in my mind had it been Laurie instead of Carol, she would have bitched Daryl out, complained about being allergic to the flower and been pissed off the beer bottle was brown instead of green.....then she would have hit on Daryl.

CarpeDiem54

CarpeDiem54

Couch Potato

Posted Nov 9, 2011 @ 3:01 PM

Imagine if it had been the actress that played Lori in that scene?

I have no doubt in my mind had it been Laurie instead of Carol, she would have bitched Daryl out, complained about being allergic to the flower and been pissed off the beer bottle was brown instead of green.....then she would have hit on Daryl.

That's what the character Lori would have done. If the actress who plays Lori would have been playing Carol we would have seen bugged out eyes accompanied with opening and shutting of the mouth ala a guppy. Callies has the emotional range of an annoying rock.

willowgerl

willowgerl

Channel Surfer

Posted Nov 9, 2011 @ 3:49 PM

She's not tough and I do believe that she would wither and die if left on her own - some people just don't have it in them to toughen up.

I'm almost, but not entirely onboard with this pronouncement. I'm still hoping she's have an transitional moment where, like Daryl, she is way outside her zone of experience and might explore different, stronger, and frankly more useful parts of herself. Her moment mulching Ed is what sparked that idea for me, but who knows? I do agree that had she not hooked up with this group should would have been zombie chow long ago. That she has survived this long makes me think she might have it in her to toughen up. From flashbacks it seems those first few days were hairy - you'd have to be tough, wily, or just damn lucky to have survived at all.

But honestly? It's probably because Daryl has a soft spot for her that I do too. Apparently I trust his judgement!

HelenBack

HelenBack

Fanatic

Posted Nov 14, 2011 @ 11:08 AM

Just wanted to give Carol a shout-out on her own thread for that lovely maternal moment with Daryl. I thought it was very touching, and that McBride played it perfectly, quietly genuine. Carol does have her strengths. This exemplified them wonderfully.

Heatrae

Heatrae

Loyal Viewer

Posted Nov 14, 2011 @ 11:37 AM

I hope they find Sophia alive, if only for Carol's sake. Daryl is probably the one that will find her one way or the other. If she managed to survive and is still non-zombified, I think Carol will really be grateful to Daryl.

caseylane

caseylane

Fanatic

Posted Nov 14, 2011 @ 11:38 AM

I will really be pissed if Shane (or Dale!) go into the woods to take a piss and trip over her. It better be Daryl that brings her back to Carol.

Vaya

Vaya

Fanatic

Posted Nov 14, 2011 @ 11:44 AM

I'm guessing it will be Rick

caseylane

caseylane

Fanatic

Posted Nov 14, 2011 @ 11:51 AM

Yes, it will be Rick because he's the show's "hero". Daryl deserves it though, damnit.

Still, Carol knows who's been the most diligent about searching. Who's the only one to bring back clues.

captnamerca

captnamerca

Couch Potato

Posted Nov 14, 2011 @ 12:05 PM

I'd like to see Shayne be the one who finds Sophia.

Then everyone would treat him like a hero, and praise him for never giving up, but Rick, Lori and him know the truth.

Then he shoots Lori.

Okay, that might be too much.

He can just shoot Lori.

fortesmtng

fortesmtng

Couch Potato

Posted Nov 14, 2011 @ 7:06 PM

I like Carol, too. I think she has hidden depths and I hope she and Daryl continue to develop their relationship. I think they may be able to provide each other with understanding and kindness that has been in short supply for both of them.

He can just shoot Lori.

Don't you just want to tell her to go stand by a deer?

Edited by fortesmtng, Nov 14, 2011 @ 7:07 PM.

lawless

lawless

Fanatic

Posted Nov 15, 2011 @ 12:56 AM

I'm liking Carol a lot more after seeing this ep. Her understanding and sensitivity to Daryl was really nice to see. (Though, as others have said, Daryl's not "just as good" as Rick and Shane, he's BETTER, way better.) I too am hopeful that a real bond develops between them. It will be heartbreaking for her if they just never manage to find Sophia, which could happen now that Daryl is injured and laid up in bed. If so, I hope she kind of "adopts" Daryl a bit, he deserves it.

Also, one of the things I like best in most stories are great friendships. Not all love stories are romantic. I love the novel The Stand (post apocalypse America after a militarized flu escapes and kills everybody), and one of my favorite characters became my favorite character when he fell into a natural, nice, friendship with an older guy who was a sociology professor. (Stu Redman and Glen.) One of the reasons I fell in love with Buffy was because of her friendship with Giles, Xander and Willow. My favorite character on Lost was Hurley, in part because of his kindness and good relationships with everyone. I am just starting to see some potential in Carol. Maybe she won't ever be a physical threat or contributor to the group, but she damn well might be critical to keeping Daryl with the gang, and they certainly need him. Who knows, but I finally saw potential in Carol, which was nice.

diebartdie

diebartdie

Couch Potato

Posted Nov 15, 2011 @ 9:40 AM

I finally saw potential in Carol

Hear! Hear! The scene between Carol and Daryl was so nice! For the first time, I saw Carol as a real, kind, thoughtful human being instead of a caricature of "victimized woman" and that was nice! Far as Im concerned, TWD tv show can just run with this version of Carol because it could lead some very interesting places, richer, deeper, sweeter than what happened to comic book Carol (who was a total nut-job!). In that brief exchange with Daryl, I saw what the writers seem to think Dale is, the wise compassionate one. Im excited to think Carol *might* develop into the wise crone and how wonderful would that be?? Heh, if that happens, Ima change the title of this thread for sure!

willowgerl

willowgerl

Channel Surfer

Posted Nov 15, 2011 @ 1:15 PM

Though, as others have said, Daryl's not "just as good" as Rick and Shane, he's BETTER, way better.

Agreed a bajillionth degree, however her telling Daryl he is "just as good" was pitch perfect, considering how much niceness Daryl is probably capable of accepting about himself. As it was, he looked like he needed to "process" even that bit of information.

So glad to see Carol progress this episode. She's got a good heart and I'm hopeful her strength will reassert itself a little when Ed's not there to be a constant source of dickery in her life. I don't ship her with Daryl but they've got a really nice relationship potential developing.

lawless

lawless

Fanatic

Posted Nov 15, 2011 @ 11:36 PM

You're right, it was pitch perfect -- Daryl probably can barely handle being told he's just as good as the law men, he'd think she was crazy or making fun of him if Carol had said better. She seems to understand him instinctively, which is a cool quality to have.

I wonder if Carol relates to Daryl because she senses past abuse, or if there's a class similarity there too that we don't know about.

In other notes, I also liked that Carol was so friendly and kind to Carl when he said he was hungry as they were stuck on the road outside Atlanta. Interesting that her husband verbally slapped her down for it, articulating the Shane point of view about the MREs. And that her instinct was to take the Rick point of view, which is to help a child in need, even not your own. Nice parallel that unbeknownst to Rick she looked out for his son while he was in a coma, and now he is literally looking for her child.

I would love it too if Carol turns out to have a lot of useful emotional intelligence about other people and becomes a wise woman. I've heard about possible "dark" places her character may go in the comics, but it would be nice if the show handles things differently. They don't have to ruin and kill everyone to tell an interesting story, and who's to say what's truly realistic in the zombie apocalypse.

scarlettjmf

scarlettjmf

Just Tuned In

Posted Nov 16, 2011 @ 6:53 AM

I finally joined the forums after lurking for several weeks. Carol has to be my favorite female character on the show. I feel she has an inner strength resulting from the abuse she suffered at the hands of her husband. She had to be strong for Sophie, to give her daughter a sense of normalcy and comfort. I love the bond forming between her and Daryl. Not just because he's The Man, but because they both seem to have similarities from having lived hard lives. I have a theory that Merle will re-enter the show with Sophie in tow. As a way for him to belittle Daryl for having searched and not found her. Just a thought.

HelenBack

HelenBack

Fanatic

Posted Nov 30, 2011 @ 8:47 PM

All the speculation about where the show may choose to go with the Daryl/Carol relationship got me thinking about it from her point of view. I've said previously, I think on some episode thread or other, I absolutely think there's a place for someone like Carol in a post-apocalypse world. Not everyone can be a warrior, and that's okay; someone also needs to tend and soothe the warriors, and care for and feed them, and keep wherever they're calling "home" nice for them. These things both have immediate value, and also help to maintain some genuine civilization over time.

So I'm really liking the mutual appreciation society Carol and Daryl have formed. It makes sense to me. They are utterly different, but very complementary to one another.

Whether or not it may ever be other than a familial sort of friendship, I couldn't say now. But I can't imagine Carol would be ready for that anytime soon with anyone, so I think if it does happen, it'd have to be well into the future. She only just mulched her abusive husband and watched her little girl die a second death, the events being within days of one another. Naturally she needs comfort and support herself, and it looks like Daryl will continue to provide some of that, but I'd expect romance is one of the furthest things from her mind at present and that it's likely to stay that way for some time.

fortesmtng

fortesmtng

Couch Potato

Posted Dec 1, 2011 @ 6:29 PM

First Sophia loses her doll and then Carol loses Sophia. Heartbreaking parallel.

I wonder if Carol will have a harder time living with Lori now. Not only does Lori have her child and her husband, but she's now carrying another child and has a second man in love with her. Lori is practically burdened with luck while Carol can't seem to catch a break in anything, other than her friendship with Daryl. And who knows how he will react to losing Sophia.

HelenBack

HelenBack

Fanatic

Posted Dec 1, 2011 @ 7:11 PM

First Sophia loses her doll and then Carol loses Sophia. Heartbreaking parallel.

Brutal. It was nicely and subtly done, so, go, show, they got something right this year, but that's also what makes it so hard to take.

She was coming to the conclusion that Sophia might be gone already, and I think that was helping her; but to see this, that's a whole different league of trauma. I hope she can cope with it... I think they need her. She's a gentle soul, and there's all too little of that in this miserable zombiescape.

agora

agora

Fanatic

Posted Dec 1, 2011 @ 8:51 PM

I'm liking Carol a lot more after seeing this ep. Her understanding and sensitivity to Daryl was really nice to see. (Though, as others have said, Daryl's not "just as good" as Rick and Shane, he's BETTER, way better.) I too am hopeful that a real bond develops between them. It will be heartbreaking for her if they just never manage to find Sophia, which could happen now that Daryl is injured and laid up in bed. If so, I hope she kind of "adopts" Daryl a bit, he deserves it.

I think they've sort of adopted one another in a way that feels organic to the show. Of all their group, they are the least expected characters that would bond IMO and yet they did so almost by accident.

I wonder if Carol will have a harder time living with Lori now.

I'm afraid so, the only reason they seemed to interact at all was because they were "the moms" and that was gone about the same time as Sophia, perhaps it's a good thing that Carol feels closer to Daryl because I think it'll take awhile before she could feel like a "single gal" the way Andrea or Maggie are.

Edited by agora, Dec 1, 2011 @ 8:52 PM.

spineofsnake

spineofsnake

Loyal Viewer

Posted Dec 3, 2011 @ 10:32 PM

Carol is one of those characters (like Shane) who is surprising me by being interesting lately. I'm actually looking forward to seeing how her character develops after Sophia's death. I think after being a victim and a doormat for her whole life, seeing her daughter zombified and blown away will either cause her to give up entirely, or push her to evolve into something much stronger and colder. We already saw a glimpse of it when she hacked up her ex-husband; I'm curious to see if that will be a trait that emerges or whether she'll just collapse.

agora

agora

Fanatic

Posted Dec 3, 2011 @ 11:05 PM

I'm actually looking forward to seeing how her character develops after Sophia's death.

Me too, the show has stripped her from everything that defined Carol's identity so far and I can't help but wonder who is she when she's not mother and a wife. What Carol's really made of, if you will.

I think it's interesting because most shows build female characters the other way: they are first love interest, then become wife/life partners, then mothers and so on. Carol is the first TV character I've ever seen that's evolving in the opposite direction and I find it fascinating as a viewer.

Edited by agora, Dec 3, 2011 @ 11:06 PM.

lawless

lawless

Fanatic

Posted Dec 4, 2011 @ 11:38 AM

I wonder if Carol will have a harder time living with Lori now. Not only does Lori have her child and her husband, but she's now carrying another child and has a second man in love with her. Lori is practically burdened with luck while Carol can't seem to catch a break in anything, other than her friendship with Daryl. And who knows how he will react to losing Sophia.

This, very much. Being around Lori would be like salting the wound if I were in Carol's shoes. Especially since she seems to be about mid-40s, and more children are most likely not possible even under the best of circumstances. Not that Sophia is replaceable, but it's probably even that much more painful to have lost the only child she'll probably ever had, to a horrible death, right in front of her face. Even a saint would have trouble being around someone in Lori's position under the circumstances, and Lori isn't so great to other people all the time, and Carol's had a hard luck life to boot. They laid some groundwork with Carol's "you're our first lady" comment and Lori's funny look in response. I feel for Carol, like her sometimes, but she also concerns me too.

There was also something "loaded" in her tone in the way that she told Daryl he was just as good as Rick and Shane beyond making Daryl feel good. Well, maybe she's scared of and resentful of Shane, and if so, good on her because she's read him correctly. I doubt very much that Shane has any regard for her, and he had very little interest in finding Sophia, even in the beginning. Maybe Carol sensed and resents that, and is intuitively scared of him.

agora

agora

Fanatic

Posted Dec 5, 2011 @ 10:30 AM

There was also something "loaded" in her tone in the way that she told Daryl he was just as good as Rick and Shane beyond making Daryl feel good.

I think she can "read" Daryl better bacuse of Ed and Sophia so, when Carol says he's every bit as good as Rick and Shane, I believe her.