Prince Louis: Is Charming, Handsome and Loves Manet

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.

5 replies to this topic

ashleigh12

ashleigh12

Couch Potato

Posted Nov 8, 2011 @ 2:07 PM

Well, I didn't see a thread for Louis, so I thought I'd start one (if that's okay?)

I actually really love him- I'm definitely rooting for him and Blair (and oddly enough, I'm also completely rooting for Blair and Chuck, AND Blair and Dan...it's terribly convenient for me to be a Blair fan first). But anyway, Prince Louis. I really loved the side we got to see of him last night, being princely, doing some (relatively) dark things to ensure that things turn out the way he thinks they should.

I think regardless of 'who she ends up with', Louis is going to end up being incredibly important to Blair (father of her child or not), and once again, regardless of whether or not they end up together, Blair is definitely the love of Louis's life.

Morrigan8472

Morrigan8472

Fanatic

Posted Nov 12, 2011 @ 7:19 PM

What I don't get is why they didn't make him a regular for this season. I mean, the already added KD (why her and not Raina I have no idea) and they should have just gone for Louis too especially since the wedding SL looks like it will take up the majority of the season. I don't think anyone in the audience is honestly thinking Blair will end up with a guest star and I think that killed a lot of tension there may have been otherwise, not to mention the frustration it engenders when the writers spend so much time on a romance that clearly has a expiration date on it.

theheartbreak

theheartbreak

Video Archivist

Posted Dec 7, 2011 @ 10:33 AM

I just rewatched 5x04 and here's the thing about Louis. I hate him. And I can't quite believe his accent is real, because I don't believe I have ever heard a sound that grates more. Truly makes me want to cut off my limbs with a rusty blade, because in all honesty, that would be far less painful. Plus how are we meant to be invested in his character, in his relationship with Blair, when it is quite obviously a prop to Saint Chuckles? I can't decide if the writer's are that lazy or they just think the audience is that stupid.

Gemini36

Gemini36

Video Archivist

Posted Jan 3, 2012 @ 3:36 AM

I personally can't find it in myself to hate Louis because I don't even see him as a person. I see him as a prop. A charming, (questionable) French-speaking, Manet-loving prop. And I find it difficult to care enough about a prop to hate him. It isn't Louis that I hate, it's the role they've given him. To me, he isn't even a real character...his whole purpose is just to prop Chuck and his relationship with Blair. I feel like Louis jumps between being good and evil depending on what type of comparison they want for Chuck. At the end of last season when Chuck was doing terrible things to Blair (I.e. the glass incident), Louis was painted as "good" in order for Chuck to "let Blair go" and trigger his redemption arc. Now that Chuck is apparently good, Louis is suddenly painted as the "bad" one to (IMO) once again prop Chuck's character and CB. 

I know that I should have expected this considering it's always seemed to me like all of the people who try to disrupt CB are merely used as props (hell even Nate). It's just really lazy story telling though, and to me it almost seems like the writers don't believe in their own ability to make the CB relationship look good on its own, so they introduce bad props to make them look good in comparison. And this really bugs me with Louis in particular considering he is Blair's husband to be and the father of her child. This whole Princess/baby SL is the biggest thing that has ever happened to Blair, and to me, the biggest part of that (Louis himself), seems to be nothing more than a prop/comparison to Chuck. I'd like to actually see Blair's opinion of Louis for a change, not just how he comes up in comparison to Chuck.

The thing is though, despite all this, I actually like Louis. His personality seems to change at the drop of a hat (as most props tend to do), however I do still like him, and feel that he is unfairly being painted as the villain. So I want him to succeed. I wouldn't say that I want to see him "get the girl", because to me, Blair has become such an unrecognisable mess since the engagement/glass smashing incident that I don't see her as the "prize" that it appears that she is supposed to be in this whole triangle. I would still like for him to fair a little better than all of the other CB props though.

Edit - Actually, I just read the latest spoiler in the spoilers thread, and you know what? If this is the case then I hate him (prop for C or D or not).I don't even know why he would be wanting to marry Blair to begin with if 1) He doesn't even love her enough to be able to write his own vows, 2) She's clearly still in love with Chuck, and 3) She has potentially lost their unborn child running off with Chuck. I don't even understand why anyone would be in love with Blair at the moment (that goes for Chuck and Dan too), let alone why he apparently still wants to marry her after everything that has happened.

Edited by Gemini36, Jan 4, 2012 @ 8:55 PM.

Light of Night

Light of Night

Fanatic

Posted Mar 10, 2012 @ 11:51 AM

Responding to this in the thread for 5.17:

I was saying that without Dan sending in the blast, Louis wouldn't have turned "evil" and Blair would have had a shot at happy marriage (whether it would've lasted on it's own is another thing). Because Dan sent in the blast, Blair and Louis's marriage became a sham and the dowry was put into effect.

But:

Not just that, but I'm not convinced that Louis didn't already have this plan in place before the video was sent. I was taking a self-imposed absence for the board when 5x12 discussion was going on, so not sure how in depth the discussion on the Le Stranger (the book Louis sent Dan) got, but in my eyes that specific book was used for a reason. In that book the protagonist writes a love letter for a friend so his friend can lure his ex girlfriend in and beat her.

I also see the point with the novel as an indication that Louis already had bad intentions, with or without the video, and whatever he may have told Sophie. Perhaps it's because Dan belatedly realized this that he tried desperately to stop the wedding.

Snapshots

Snapshots

Loyal Viewer

Posted Mar 10, 2012 @ 3:46 PM

Not just that, but I'm not convinced that Louis didn't already have this plan in place before the video was sent. I was taking a self-imposed absence for the board when 5x12 discussion was going on, so not sure how in depth the discussion on the Le Stranger (the book Louis sent Dan) got, but in my eyes that specific book was used for a reason. In that book the protagonist writes a love letter for a friend so his friend can lure his ex girlfriend in and beat her.

I also see the point with the novel as an indication that Louis already had bad intentions, with or without the video, and whatever he may have told Sophie. Perhaps it's because Dan belatedly realized this that he tried desperately to stop the wedding.

That's a really interesting point. In the 5x12 episode thread there was a lot of discussion regarding the reason behind Dan's horrfied/pissed expression when he receives the book from Louis. I'm actually wondering if perhaps Dan had already read it (wouldn't shock me) and he made the connection right away that perhaps Louis' intentions weren't good, hence the reaction to getting the book. Either that or he sat down and read it later and made the connection.

I thought at the time that a book was a weird choice as thank you gift, but it makes sense if Louis was sending Dan a message. If the book really was significant (which I'd say it'd have to be because why else include it), and Louis really was sending Dan a hidden message outlining his intentions with Blair, then it really does make him seem pretty evil...and it also means that I didn't give him nearly enough credit for his intelligence.

It also really puts into perspective Dan's reaction to seeing Blair leave with Louis for their "honeymoon". His (and yes I'm paraphrasing) "I meant what I said, whatever you need..." to Blair was obviously just as much a threat to Louis as it was an assurance to Blair. Dan's rage in that scene (and the one following where he watches them leave) was intense. Much more so than Blair's herself or even Eleanor's. If Louis really did send Dan a message though with that book that his intentions with Blair were bad, then it makes a world of sense why he was so worried/angry...especially since he would no doubt feel responsible by writing the vows and helping Louis carry out his plan to begin with.