Continuity and Nitpicks: Those Were Not Honeycrisp Apples

• Please log in to reply

560 replies to this topic

mustbekarma

mustbekarma

Fanatic

Posted Nov 6, 2011 @ 7:13 PM

At some point and time, there will be continuity errors. For instance, Maleficent's pet could be mentioned as a dragon instead of a unicorn. Or, Red Delicious apples will be misrepresented as Honeycrisps. Discuss continuity errors and nitpicks here.

Edited by mustbekarma, Nov 6, 2011 @ 7:14 PM.

Snapple12

Snapple12

Video Archivist

Posted Nov 6, 2011 @ 9:48 PM

I don't know if this is one, maybe it was explained and I missed it. Henry got the book of fairy tales from Mary Margaret, but where did she get it from? Did it just magically appear with all the information about everybody after the curse?

LoraxGirl

LoraxGirl

Video Archivist

Posted Nov 6, 2011 @ 9:54 PM

Yay! I am so glad someone started this thread. All I could think when they were talking about the honey crisp apples was "Why on earth is she talking about honey crisp when she is obviously holding a red delicious?". The people I was watching with thought I was being too picky, so I am very glad this thread is here now.

Tableau

Tableau

Fanatic

Posted Nov 6, 2011 @ 9:57 PM

I found it very odd in the second episode how Emma and Dr. Hopper seemed to interact like it was the first time they had met. They hinted in the episode that she only went to seek out the therapist because Regina mentioned him but Emma already knew Henry was in therapy because she met his therapist in the pilot.

onezime

onezime

Just Tuned In

Posted Nov 7, 2011 @ 2:58 PM

Maybe I'm just not supposed to worry about it, but the whole frozen in time thing is really bugging me. Supposedly none of them have aged but how does that work exactly? Henry's not under the curse so I'd assume he'd age normally. So is he aging normally and everyone else is frozen? Are his like, kindergarten classmates still 5? Wouldn't that be the weirdest? Does everyone else think they just look really great for their age or have they not even realized so much time has passed? I'm pretty sure they have newspapers & internet right, so they should've noticed that time is actually chugging along. I mean I get that it's ~magic~ but I feel like the writers didn't really think this through, I don't know.

Lxndr

Lxndr

Couch Potato

Posted Nov 7, 2011 @ 3:18 PM

I've been wondering that too. Maybe the 'frozen in time' is more metaphorical than literal (I'd believe that). Frozen in time like, say, the Simpsons or Calvin and Hobbes are frozen in time.

But if it is literal, shouldn't they have 28-year-old technology, too?

Edited by Lxndr, Nov 7, 2011 @ 3:49 PM.

Trini Girl

Trini Girl

Stalker

Posted Nov 7, 2011 @ 5:44 PM

The whole Honeycrisp Scandal wouldn't have been so bad if the props department hadn't used Red Delicious, which EVERYONE is familiar with. They could have used a less common variety instead of the most popular one.

Allax

Allax

Channel Surfer

Posted Nov 7, 2011 @ 6:20 PM

Since honeycrisps are my absolute favorite apple, my first instinct was to shout at the tv too, but then I thought about it for a minute and thought, "Well, isn't that 'evil'? Tell the girl about the most awesome apple ever and then hand her a mundane red delicious...eeeevillll!" muahahaha.

onezime

onezime

Just Tuned In

Posted Nov 8, 2011 @ 11:40 AM

Lxndr - Yeah the metaphorical thing would make sense. But it's still so weird considering Henry (well depending on how old he was when he was adopted) and Emma are supposedly from the real world, but Emma at least hasn't noticed anything out of the ordinary. Henry said he only noticed that everyone had kind of a vague recollection of their past and surely he would've mentioned anything more glaring than that. It's like they were dropped into the Simpsons and then they never asked why everyone is banana yellow and only has four fingers.

VeryWellDone

VeryWellDone

Couch Potato

Posted Nov 9, 2011 @ 11:12 AM

I totally understood the apples being the red delicious variety. When you think of the apple from snow white, you definitely think of the big, red, shiny kind. What I did not understand is why they chose to call it the name of an apple that looks nothing like it but that a lot of people are familiar with. They should have just made up a name, like, "snow apple" or something. I mean, they come from a fairy tale land. Maybe there are different varieties of apples there and the queen brought some branches for grafting with her to Storybrooke?

Just caught episode three. Jamie Dornan, the guy who plays the Sherrif, seriously needs a dialect coach. The first time I heard him speak, I thought it was cool that the producers let him talk with his Irish accent. Now, however, it seems that he is supposed to be going for an American accent. I constantly am hearing Irish brogue slipping in and out. Anyway, they let Robery Carlysle keep his Scottish, why not let Dornan keep his Irish?

Tableau

Tableau

Fanatic

Posted Nov 9, 2011 @ 2:30 PM

I think the writers just randomly chose an apple that could grow in Maine and just went from there without regard for if the prop people got it right.

If Jamie Dornan was ever trying for an American accent, he failed absolutely miserably because at no time watching this show have I thought he could be a native or that he was even trying to pretend to be a native. I didn't get Irish from him granted but I did get British at least. He also looks ridiculously British to me too but that might be a personal thing.

Edited by Tableau, Nov 9, 2011 @ 2:36 PM.

LoraxGirl

LoraxGirl

Video Archivist

Posted Nov 13, 2011 @ 10:43 PM

Okay, I have an issue, but maybe I am missing something. According to tonights episode, Rumplestiltskin was put into prison shortly before the curse was cast since Cinderella was pretty close to 9 months pregnant when he went to jail. But, in the pilot, it appeared that he had been in prison much longer since they had to come up with a plan and carve the tree to save Emma after meeting with him. Snow white also didn't appear 9 months pregnant during that meeting either, at least, not if I remember correctly. Did I miss something? Was the time frame of the pilot much shorter than I originally thought?

SevenSolis

SevenSolis

Couch Potato

Posted Nov 13, 2011 @ 11:00 PM

Rumple said she was "beginning to show" and the prince mentioned it was too early for her to give birth, so it must have been at least a few months before. You're right that Ella and Snow must have been pregnant around the same time, so he probably wasn't in jail for very long.

Edited by SevenSolis, Nov 13, 2011 @ 11:00 PM.

CheerAngel

CheerAngel

Fanatic

Posted Nov 14, 2011 @ 2:36 AM

Something else about Rumpelstiltskin- how did Ella know who he was, much less his name? Is he a famour demon/faerie/imp in Fairy Tale Land? And if so, wouldn't it be known that knowing his name would mean having power over him?

HelenBack

HelenBack

Fanatic

Posted Nov 14, 2011 @ 2:57 AM

Ella didn't know who Rumpelstiltskin was. She asked him, and he told her.

Which seemed like a continuity problem, but then, we haven't seen anyone able to do anything to him simply because they know his name, that I can recall. Rather the other way around.

Cinderella's fella (I love having two Princes Charming but it does create a nomenclature problem) did seem to know who he was - "That man is a scourge!" - but I don't think it was really explained why.

corvus13

corvus13

Stalker

Posted Nov 14, 2011 @ 3:07 AM

Since Rumeplstiltskin was so free with giving out his name, these scenes must have happened after the Miller's Daughter found out who he was.

Tableau

Tableau

Fanatic

Posted Nov 22, 2011 @ 1:11 AM

Here are some things that bothered me about Snow Falls despite the fact that I love the episode:

Both Mary and Snow say there is no such thing as love at first sight and first kiss. I get the argument for the former but technically and logically the latter exists. The first person you snog who isn't family is your first kiss. It's a simple fact and nothing to do with being a romantic.

Next the wanted poster. It's all but spelled out to us that Prince Charming and the trolls learn Snow's name from the posters but no where on the poster (which was shown in it's entirely, I might add) is her name written. All it has is her picture and the charges against her. For that matter there was no reward on it either, something else the trolls alluded to.

So I just wanted to say my peace about those things. They bother me every time I watch. Still love the ep though!

Aliasscape

Aliasscape

Fanatic

Posted Nov 22, 2011 @ 1:50 AM

I don't think they meant there's no such thing AS a first kiss but no such thing as falling in love AT your first kiss. It's like saying "There's no such thing as flying saucers or pigs." Well obviously there are pigs. They mean there's no such thing as flying pigs.

I assumed everyone knows who the princess of the kingdom was. So I thought Charming noticed her likeness to the poster and was like aha, you're Princess Snow White and you're a wanted person.

The reward, I got nothing. Super tiny fine print?

Edited by Aliasscape, Nov 22, 2011 @ 1:54 AM.

Tableau

Tableau

Fanatic

Posted Nov 22, 2011 @ 1:54 AM

Grammar. Okay, I'll buy it.

You'd think the reward would be in the large print.

Aliasscape

Aliasscape

Fanatic

Posted Nov 22, 2011 @ 1:57 AM

Leave it to the Queen to make sure the poster emphasizes what's most important to HER. "Snow White's a TREACHEROUS, MURDERING TRAITOR! Oh and if you bring her back I'll give you something for your trouble."

The props department is really falling down on the job.

kcblue86

kcblue86

Fanatic

Posted Nov 22, 2011 @ 6:23 AM

"Snow White's a TREACHEROUS, MURDERING TRAITOR! Oh and if you bring her back I'll give you something for your trouble."

Except fairy tales have more of a black and white morality. If you can convince people that Snow White is one of the evil characters, it may have more of an impact in convincing people to capture her than a monetary award might, in a land where good fights evil without expectation of a reward.

Plus, maybe the Queen's a cheapskate.

Miss Muffet

Miss Muffet

Couch Potato

Posted Nov 22, 2011 @ 8:28 AM

I went back and checked... Mary did not wear the ring in the first 2 episodes, why she would all of a sudden start wearing it when she went to see John Doe seems to be an oops.

Tableau

Tableau

Fanatic

Posted Nov 22, 2011 @ 10:20 AM

Except fairy tales have more of a black and white morality. If you can convince people that Snow White is one of the evil characters, it may have more of an impact in convincing people to capture her than a monetary award might, in a land where good fights evil without expectation of a reward.

Despite a more common honor system, I imagine the law of incentives are the same in fairy tale world as they are here. The trolls' reaction to the posters would support that, I think.

Maybe the Queen's people just really suck at making wanted posters. I mean, no name or characteristics of the felon, no mention of reward, and no contact info on who exactly wants Snow. These sucky posters might explain how Snow was able to elude her for so long.

Miss Muffet

Miss Muffet

Couch Potato

Posted Nov 22, 2011 @ 10:55 PM

As for continuity in Storybrooke, in Red/ Ruby's case, I think there is a fine line they are playing about her being an innocent morsel or a lusty treat.
I think that keeps the mystery.

VeryWellDone

VeryWellDone

Couch Potato

Posted Nov 29, 2011 @ 5:45 AM

Am I the only one who thinks that the hair and make-up on this show is really bad? I don't even usually notice stuff like that, but on this show it really stands out to me. All the women in fairytale land look like they are about to hit up a nightclub. It just does not look romantic to me in the least.

Miss Muffet

Miss Muffet

Couch Potato

Posted Nov 29, 2011 @ 8:48 AM

Why is Archie younger than Marco in Storeybrooke, when in Fairyland Jiminy is supposed to be much older than Gepetto?

I guess magic crickets don't age?

ElymianDucat

ElymianDucat

Fanatic

Posted Nov 29, 2011 @ 9:48 AM

Why is Archie younger than Marco in Storeybrooke, when in Fairyland Jiminy is supposed to be much older than Gepetto?

Archie is the same age in Storybrooke as he was when the Blue Fairy transformed him into a cricket.

I guess magic crickets don't age?

Didn't the Blue Fairy say that Jimminy would live as long as he needed?

Miss Muffet

Miss Muffet

Couch Potato

Posted Nov 30, 2011 @ 6:57 PM

Didn't the Blue Fairy say that Jimminy would live as long as he needed?

Yes, ElymianDucat, I think I missed that the first viewing! I was just trying to be cutesy sarcastic because in Fairy Tales anything is possible!!

I think they have done a good job on continuity except for the apples!

Even with the fact that they are supposed to be in a town 28 years suspended in time, they manage to have older model vehicles and hardly any technology that is up to date except Henry's computer and Emma's cellphone. Even the wardrobe is decades neutral.

Ethereal Zoe

Ethereal Zoe

Fanatic

Posted Dec 4, 2011 @ 10:33 PM

I enjoyed this latest episode, but the James/David storyline explained tonight has me confused.

Didn't we just see in one of the recent past episodes that David was the older son of the king who had a younger brother who married Cinderella? I don't understand how the whole "twins" plot from tonight jibes with the earlier backstory. I don't recall that Alan Dale was the King in that episode, so I'm not sure if Alan Dale is just a new casting choice or if I'm confusing something.

Miss Muffet

Miss Muffet

Couch Potato

Posted Dec 4, 2011 @ 10:38 PM

Different King, different kingdom. They were just friends in the Cinderella episode, guests at their wedding Ball.