9-2: "The Heat Is On" 2011.11.09

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.

126 replies to this topic

NoPity1066

NoPity1066

Fanatic

Posted Nov 14, 2011 @ 11:52 PM

But, the 20 minute folks, like Andrew, I think were hamped by having such a short time, even if their main items could be cooked faster.

I'm co-signing this, ImNotLeesa - 20 minutes isn't a lot of time to do anything of substance, really. If it was just one item, then okay, but no one cooks just corn, or a scallop, or shrimp. If you're all set up with your mis en place, dishes, pots, etc, then sure, but to start empty-handed ?

A big "thank you" to Top Chef (along with 10 other shows) for making it official - I will now NEVER attempt risotto, and I'm a fair-to-good home cook. What is it about risotto ?!? It's an absolute killer on this show. Is it really that hard to make properly ?

That poor guy - sorry, cannot remember his name - but the really good looking guy who tried to make the 40 minute risotto. Good Lord, was I pulling for him, but when the clock was ticking down I kept thinking "Just get it plated. Take the damn metal tray over if you have to !"

Oh, and "yes" to Hugh Acheson being creepy, avecsans (clever name, BTW.)

Even if he did get his Andy Rooney eyebrows weed-whacked recently. That guy puts my creepdar on eleven.

larapu2000

larapu2000

Fanatic

Posted Nov 15, 2011 @ 9:07 AM

A big "thank you" to Top Chef (along with 10 other shows) for making it official - I will now NEVER attempt risotto, and I'm a fair-to-good home cook. What is it about risotto ?!? It's an absolute killer on this show. Is it really that hard to make properly ?

It's actually very easy to make, but it shouldn't sit after it has finished, because the texture can go from creamy to gluey in a New York minute. That's the trick where home cooks have an advantage. On Top Chef, the risotto will need to finish cooking and leave very little room for plating, because there might be more than a few minutes before the judges dig in.

Honestly, you should try it, it's really easy and delicious.

JTMacc99

JTMacc99

Stalker

• Interests:I like TV.

Posted Nov 15, 2011 @ 9:38 AM

IIRC, the timed challenge people got to pick their own ingredients. One would think that you didn't need a Spike level of "strategic" thinking to figure out that they weren't going to give you three hours and that if you were picking the Oxtail, you needed to be up to speed with the pressure cooker.

While it is fair to say that each person was probably surprised when they learned of the time constraint that went with the ingredient, I don't think that any of them were at any particular disadvantage compared to the others in their group. (They may have been at a disadvantage compared to the rabbit people however.)

ThatPoshGirl

ThatPoshGirl

Stalker

Posted Nov 15, 2011 @ 10:47 AM

I'm one of the worst cooks in the world. I've tried it twice and both times the texture came out correctly, with little effort. But, both times it was also inedible because it was so freaking salty. So, maybe it helps to start with a low or no sodium stock? Idk. In any case, it's not really that hard. I think it is mainly an issue that you have to keep constant watch on it. In these competitions, where the contestants are under major time crunches and trying to do 10 things at once, that can definitely be a liability.

rack

rack

Fanatic

Posted Nov 15, 2011 @ 2:11 PM

Risotto is also a killer on Hell's Kitchen. Partly I think it's because there's nowhere to hide and no chance for a "plan B" in a competition setting -- if the texture goes wrong, you're sunk.

Nutjob

Nutjob

Stalker

Posted Nov 15, 2011 @ 5:57 PM

So, maybe it helps to start with a low or no sodium stock? Idk.

Yes, it does. That's what I use, and the saltiness is usually just right.

In these competitions, where the contestants are under major time crunches and trying to do 10 things at once, that can definitely be a liability.

Exactly. With risotto, you have to have the basic skill of making it down properly, then consider the flavors you're adding to it. With the time constraints on shows like this, it just doesn't make sense to even try it.

uflorb

uflorb

Just Tuned In

Posted Nov 16, 2011 @ 10:39 AM

I recall in S2 - which was filmed during an unusual hot spell in San Francisco - that they mentioned that they can't have the air conditioning on while filming because it interferes with the sound recording. If that's still true and they filmed this in Texas in July, I can imagined they'd be flushed. Tom has mentioned in his early blogs that the heat will be an issue this season.

I live in San Antonio and this was definitely one of the hottest summers we've ever had. I believe we broke the local record for the number of days topping 100+ degrees. If it's true about not having air conditioning, then yes, I can definitely see the heat being an issue - especially on the outdoor challenges.