Couples That Should Have Been

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.

90 replies to this topic

Spartan Girl

Spartan Girl

Fanatic

Posted Nov 10, 2011 @ 9:07 AM

I can't believe nobody's brought the ultimate Pretty in Pink gripe: that Andie should have ended up with Duckie! I know that they changed the original ending because they felt Jon Cryer wasn't exactly a heartthrob and played Duckie at a more...shall we say, effeminate level, but come on! Blane caves under peer pressure and cries like a little bitch about it. Duckie beats the crap out of James Spader (or at least tries to). No contest!

Speaking of geeks that don't get the girl, I wish that Randy had ended up with Sidney in Scream 2 instead of dying.

Eegah

Eegah

Stalker

Posted Nov 10, 2011 @ 1:28 PM

And The Philadelphia Story, I always preferred the Reporter Guy for Katherine Hepburn rather than The Ex-Husband.

That's always seemed really bizarre to me. There's no build-up to it at all, and it seems thrown in just to have a twist.

Redtracer

Redtracer

Fanatic

Posted Nov 10, 2011 @ 1:47 PM

That's always seemed really bizarre to me. There's no build-up to it at all, and it seems thrown in just to have a twist.

Who, Mike (reporter) or Dexter (ex-husband)? I just didn't want Mike to end up with Tracy because that would leave poor Liz totally screwed over. Liz is probably too good for Mike anyway, but now she can at least deal with Mike on her own terms. She deserves to be the dumper, not the dumpee.

Dexter is kind of a dick anyway, and Tracy can't be easy to live with, so I think they pretty much deserve each other.

(I do actually love that movie, and I even like the characters as much as it is possible to like those people, but they all kinda suck, don't they?)

Edited by Redtracer, Nov 10, 2011 @ 1:49 PM.

Limbonaut

Limbonaut

Stalker

Posted Nov 10, 2011 @ 2:06 PM

About the HP shipping wars is I like Ron and Hermione in the books and in the movies but Dan and Emma just had great chemistry throughout the series. They could have a scene talking about the least romantic things and you couldn't help see them together. If it had been Hermione kneeling down to tie his shoelaces in Half Blood Prince people would have been "Oh my god! Squeeeee!"

The thing about The Philadelphia Story is they talk about Tracy being aloof, unforgiving and unfeeling bitch but never really show it. I can imagine a character like that(and have seen characters like that in other movies) being hard to live with and unsympathetic.

Edited by Limbonaut, Nov 10, 2011 @ 2:10 PM.

Eegah

Eegah

Stalker

Posted Nov 10, 2011 @ 3:28 PM

Dexter. The whole movie he's just the bitter ex who wants to screw things up for his own selfish pleasure, with nothing to indicate why Tracy takes him back at the end. It really seems like they figured people would automatically like Cary Grant, so they didn't have to write him as being likable.

Edited by Eegah, Nov 10, 2011 @ 3:29 PM.

Wiendish Fitch

Wiendish Fitch

Couch Potato

Posted Nov 10, 2011 @ 4:18 PM

Yeah, I hated Dexter from The Philadelphia Story, too. Honestly, I don't put Cary Grant on too high a pedestal. If his character is a big enough asshole, even that trademark charm won't save him (I also hated his characters in Talk of the Town, His Girl Friday, and My Favorite Wife). I don't believe he loved Tracy, I think he just wanted to possess her and break her spirit so she'd be under his thumb, a la Taming of the Shrew. Dexter wasn't too good for Tracy, Tracy was too good for him. And I liked Mike, because he was warm and sweet and could call people out without being too self-righteous.

MaggieElizabeth

MaggieElizabeth

Fanatic

Posted Nov 10, 2011 @ 4:41 PM

Mike is certainly a better man than Dexter... but then, Liz is a better woman than Tracy. Mike should be with Liz. True poetic justice might well have had Tracy and Dexter end up alone.

Plus, an ending that paired Tracy and Mike would have resulted in yet another smart and classy Celeste Holm character left high and dry at the end of the musical remake High Society. Poor Celeste; she gets left in Gentleman's Agreement, she gets left in The Tender Trap, and in both cases she's a much more interesting woman than the girl who actually gets the guy.

Wiendish Fitch

Wiendish Fitch

Couch Potato

Posted Nov 10, 2011 @ 4:52 PM

Mike is certainly a better man than Dexter... but then, Liz is a better woman than Tracy.

For once, I must disagree, MaggieElizabeth. I don't get why we're supposed to hate Tracy anyway. I didn't think she was "cold" or "goddess-like", I thought she was strong, funny, vivacious, and fairly reasonable in her actions and attitude (she has questionable taste in men, but nobody's perfect). Dexter was a worthless drunk who deserved to be shown the door, and Tracy's father was a perverted philanderer. If my father dumped my nice mom for some twentysomething bimbo, I'd never speak to him again, either!

Limbonaut

Limbonaut

Stalker

Posted Nov 10, 2011 @ 6:18 PM

For once, I must disagree, MaggieElizabeth. I don't get why we're supposed to hate Tracy anyway. I didn't think she was "cold" or "goddess-like", I thought she was strong, funny, vivacious, and fairly reasonable in her actions and attitude (she has questionable taste in men, but nobody's perfect). Dexter was a worthless drunk who deserved to be shown the door, and Tracy's father was a perverted philanderer. If my father dumped my nice mom for some twentysomething bimbo, I'd never speak to him again, either!

That's the point of my earlier post is that they never showed Tracy actually being this person they complained about. We only get the last two thirds of her character arc but not the first third.

I believe audiences at the time had this image of Katherine Hepburn which they disliked and why she was "box office poison" for a couple of years. They were also put off by her attitude and public persona and she got the nickname "Katherine of Arrogance". The Philadelphia Story was her big comeback for a reason. Before they began filming she was quoted:

"I don't want to make a grand entrance in this picture. Moviegoers ... think I'm too la-di-da or something. A lot of people want to see me fall flat on my face."

Edited by Limbonaut, Nov 10, 2011 @ 6:26 PM.

carmelized

carmelized

Fanatic

Posted Nov 10, 2011 @ 6:52 PM

Dexter. The whole movie he's just the bitter ex who wants to screw things up for his own selfish pleasure, with nothing to indicate why Tracy takes him back at the end. It really seems like they figured people would automatically like Cary Grant, so they didn't have to write him as being likable.

They needed to do better with some of the lines and the characterizations, but I did get the feeling that Dexter did actually love Tracy. Didn't he bring Liz and Mike to the house to keep the magazine publisher from printing the story about the father and the dancer? Also, when it looked like Tracy and Mike had slept together, it seemed like Dexter was trying to cover for Tracy with the fiance. I think Dexter cared for the family, whatever the problems with Tracy had been.

I would have liked Dexter more if he had admitted his drinking had been a huge problem, instead of blaming everything on her for being a cold goddess, but I did get the feeling that he loved her and regretted their breakup. I also liked Liz and Mike together; they were a better match than Mike and Tracy would have been.

I was happy when Tracy dumped her fiance. He was a social climbing, narrow-minded jerk. I could understand his being upset when he thought his fiance had a fling on the eve of their wedding, but when he was happy about being featured in that rag magazine, it was clear why he wanted to marry Tracy.

lastdaughterfk

lastdaughterfk

Fanatic

Posted Nov 10, 2011 @ 8:16 PM

I can't believe nobody's brought the ultimate Pretty in Pink gripe: that Andie should have ended up with Duckie! I know that they changed the original ending because they felt Jon Cryer wasn't exactly a heartthrob and played Duckie at a more...shall we say, effeminate level, but come on! Blane caves under peer pressure and cries like a little bitch about it. Duckie beats the crap out of James Spader (or at least tries to). No contest!

Cosign this. There is no justice in that movie and is a last minute change! I felt a bit better validated when the admitted changing the ending and making Some kind of wonderful the same plot with the right ending but gender reversed. I still feel for Ducky though.

Limbonaut

Limbonaut

Stalker

Posted Nov 10, 2011 @ 10:48 PM

Just watching Witness again. Haven't seen it in years. I get why they didn't have Harrison Ford and Kelly McGillis end up together. Two different worlds and all, but it's still kind of sad. Although, I know some women like the blonde Russian ballet dancer who was also a suitor. Now he would have been an awesome Thor! He was also really badass in Die Hard, may he rest in peace.

Edited by Limbonaut, Nov 10, 2011 @ 10:49 PM.

Blue32

Blue32

Fanatic

Posted Nov 10, 2011 @ 11:08 PM

I'm surprised there hasn't been a mention of Mr. Stevens and Miss Kenton in The Remains of the Day.

I posted this on the Best/Worst Endings thread, but on a very old version of this site a long time ago, someone made an offhand comment to the effect that "Duckie was clearly gay." The poster may have been being silly or glib, but I never saw that movie the same way again.

I liked Harry/Luna in the HP movies. There was a really lovely chemistry between Daniel Radcliffe and Evanna Lynch, and a sense of connection.

My Fair Lady: Eliza and Freddie. I'm not saying she should have married him or anything, but she could have at least dated him and given him a chance. Hell, anyone's better than a misogynist like Henry Higgins!

I got the sense from the original play that a credible or plausible interpretation of the text is that Higgins is gay, which certainly lends an interesting flavour to My Fair Lady. (Audiences have been shipping Eliza/Higgins ever since the play premiered, which is probably why Shaw got mad and wrote that tedious epilogue about Eliza marrying Freddie, heh.) Either way, it's not like writing romance was Shaw's strong suit (though Raina/Bluntschli from the decidedly anti-romantic Arms and the Man were pretty cute).

Edited by Blue32, Nov 10, 2011 @ 11:30 PM.

Eegah

Eegah

Stalker

Posted Nov 10, 2011 @ 11:44 PM

Just watching Witness again. Haven't seen it in years. I get why they didn't have Harrison Ford and Kelly McGillis end up together. Two different worlds and all, but it's still kind of sad. Although, I know some women like the blonde Russian ballet dancer who was also a suitor. Now he would have been an awesome Thor! He was also really badass in Die Hard, may he rest in peace.

This is one of the best I've ever seen in having the couple end up apart. For them to work, one would have to leave their entire world behind, and neither was willing to do it, nor should they. And while you might be inclined to root against Daniel at first, he's fully developed into a good match for Rachel; particularly good is the humanizing moment where you can see he takes some pleasure in Book beating the crap out of the assholes who were mocking him.

Limbonaut

Limbonaut

Stalker

Posted Nov 11, 2011 @ 1:18 AM

particularly good is the humanizing moment where you can see he takes some pleasure in Book beating the crap out of the assholes who were mocking him.

That was a great moment although there's a part of that scene I would put in the "Moments that anger the blood" thread. Not the a-hole with the ice cream. He got his comeuppance from Book but that old man with the glasses in the town throwing a snit over it and saying it'll ruin the tourist trade! Me: "Oh no! No more redneck jerks will come visit!" Shut up old man!

GreekGeek

GreekGeek

Couch Potato

Posted Nov 11, 2011 @ 9:07 AM

My Best Friend's Wedding: Julianne and Michael, because they such selfish, thoughtless, horrible people, they were made for each other.

YMMV. I liked the ending because they didn't get together. I wonder why you thought Michael was "selfish, thoughtless, horrible." It's been a long time since I saw the movie, but what did he do that was so bad? IIRC, it was Julianne's idea to keep their relationship casual, and he took her at her word.

I agree with the comments on The Philadelphia Story (that Hepburn and Grant should have not remarried), and I would add a nice (up until the ending) movie from the mid-60's, Divorce American Style, starring Dick Van Dyke and Debbie Reynolds. Van Johnson's Al seemed much nicer and more appreciative of Reynolds' Barbara than Van Dyke's Richard, but you just know that Richard and Barbara will not go through with the divorce. Van Dyke also seemed to have some great chemistry with Jean Simmons (his almost-second wife), also. Was there some sort of unspoken rule in older movies that divorced/separated couples must reconcile?

I was annoyed by Serendipity. I felt terrible for the woman John Cusack's character almost married. She is as nice as pie and observant enough to buy him a book that she always sees him looking at in bookstores--and which happens to have the inscription Kate Beckinsale wrote years ago. So he ditches her and searches for Beckinsale, with whom he shared ONE evening and whose ideas about "serendipity" should have cued any sane person to run away from her!

I rooted for James Marsden over Ryan Gosling in The Notebook, simply because I get tired of the trope that the secondary character must always be dumped in favor of the star. This only works if the latter has some obvious flaw that makes him or her unattractive or obnoxious.

Wiendish Fitch

Wiendish Fitch

Couch Potato

Posted Nov 11, 2011 @ 9:45 AM

YMMV. I liked the ending because they didn't get together. I wonder why you thought Michael was "selfish, thoughtless, horrible." It's been a long time since I saw the movie, but what did he do that was so bad? IIRC, it was Julianne's idea to keep their relationship casual, and he took her at her word.

Kimmy, bless her heart, offers to forgo her education in order to accompany Michael on his job (which requires him to travel). Jules plants the idea that Kimmy should ask Michael to work for her (Kimmy's) father at his company for six months or so. Kimmy asks him this while they are at a nice restaurant. Now, Michael (who is unforgivably okay with Kimmy giving up college) could have handled this awkward question by politely saying "no". A simple "no", like a civilized human being. Instead, Michael proceeds to emotionally eviscerate Kimmy in a public place with everyone staring at them, acting as though Kimmy has asked him to kill somebody's firstborn child. He doesn't just lecture her, he yells and snarls at her, oblivious to her tears and sobs of apology. Not only that, he calls the job she offered him a "sell-out" job, which is essentially an insult to his future father-in-law and his profession. Michael behaved like a boorish, sexist ass and Kimmy actually takes him back instead of dumping him on the spot.

Not only that, but he's constantly rubbing his past relationship with Jules in Kimmy's face, and talking about all the cool places he and Jules traveled to... which are places he will never take Kimmy, and they both know it. Uncivilized twit.

Edited by Wiendish Fitch, Nov 11, 2011 @ 9:46 AM.

Cosmos2

Cosmos2

Couch Potato

Posted Nov 11, 2011 @ 2:20 PM

Reality Bites. I didn't understand that one at all. The Winona Ryder and Ethan Hawke characters just seemed so wrong for each other to me, but the movie made them inevitable even though I was rooting against them all the way. The Ben Stiller character made more sense, although I guess he was flawed to. (The movie had a stunning tracking shot that went through a revolving door which is the only reason why I remember it.)

Edited by Cosmos2, Nov 11, 2011 @ 2:23 PM.

Bawoman

Bawoman

Fanatic

Posted Nov 11, 2011 @ 10:17 PM

When I first read the title of this thread, the first thought that came in mind was this movie, but NOT the pair you're talking about.

Yeah, I'm talking about Steff and Andie. Let me explain:

To me, Duckie came off as to stalkerish and needy, (and flamboyantly gay, but I digress) and, truthfully, Andie didn't seem to give a SHIT about him throughout the whole movie, and treated him like her dumb sidekick. Duckie deserved better. As far as Blaine, wake me up when he grows a pair of testicles. He was as bland as unsalted mashed potatoes, and had no spine whatsoever. The only thing the character did throughout the movie was to bulge his eyes out and smile his dreamy smile so all the teeny boopers would swoon. But he really had zero personality.

Steff on the other hand....wow. Granted he is a bit of a jerk, but hes a tormented, self loathing one. There's an emotional intensity brewing inside Steff that none of the other characters have in the movie. He obviously likes Andie but doesn't know how to treat her since she's so diferent from every other girl in school. And with his looks and his money, he can't help acting like an arrogant prick since that's all he knows. Most importantly, he had what the others in the movie lacked. Balls. He came up to Andie and asked her out without hesitation, while the other 2 were lurking about sneaking glances at her or whatever. He fought dirty but at least he fought. The other 2 guys were as decisive as Hamlet. He calls her a bitch but makes it sound more like foreplay than an actual insult, looks straight at her when shes going into school and practically eye-fucks her to her face (the only guy who would dare do that to HER). He's not afraid of her like the other two yellowbellies are. There was this strange subtext of angsty sexual tension between them which was never fully played out, but it was definetly there, and it was SO much more interesting than anything she had with the other 2.

Plus, I mean, it's a young James Spader. Like Annie Potts said in the DVD commentary "Could he have been more beautifull and sexy..Oh puh-lease!" Nope, he couldn't have. The man was SEX. And I'm sure once Andie grows up a little and stops dreaming about rich princes, pretty hats and pink dresses she will come around and go for a real (if somewhat more complicated) man.

Edited by Bawoman, Nov 11, 2011 @ 10:19 PM.

Tegdirb

Tegdirb

Channel Surfer

Posted Nov 12, 2011 @ 11:22 AM

Dan and Emma just had great chemistry throughout the series.

Never saw it. They were both so dour and humorless, especially compared to their book counterparts. I thought Rupert and Emma had much better romantic chemistry. As for Radcliffe, he only seemed to have chemistry with the actors playing Tonks and Snape.

Jeebus Cripes

Jeebus Cripes

Fanatic

Posted Nov 14, 2011 @ 4:12 AM

Also, in the movie Singles I was hoping Bridget Fonda's character would hook up with that nice plastic surgeon who refused to give her the breast implants she wanted to hold on to her douche boyfriend. I thought it was so sweet that he thought she was fine as is.

I always thought the same thing! They seemed like they would have made such a cute couple, too.

Steff on the other hand....wow. Granted he is a bit of a jerk, but hes a tormented, self loathing one. There's an emotional intensity brewing inside Steff that none of the other characters have in the movie. He obviously likes Andie but doesn't know how to treat her since she's so diferent from every other girl in school. And with his looks and his money, he can't help acting like an arrogant prick since that's all he knows. Most importantly, he had what the others in the movie lacked. Balls. He came up to Andie and asked her out without hesitation, while the other 2 were lurking about sneaking glances at her or whatever. He fought dirty but at least he fought.

I've never considered this until now... and I like it. I was never that impressed with Blane, and she clearly only thought of Duckie as a friend. I suppose her and Steff would have been a bit like Claire & Bender from The Breakfast Club, but I find the sexual tension that comes from pairings like this much more interesting.

I recently watched Agora and Hypatia not hooking up with Orestes was shockingly stupid on her part. Dude was all kinds of hot.

I also wanted Alice & Larry to hook up in Closer. They had mad chemistry in their scenes.

Redtracer

Redtracer

Fanatic

Posted Nov 14, 2011 @ 9:03 AM

I recently watched Agora and Hypatia not hooking up with Orestes was shockingly stupid on her part. Dude was all kinds of hot.

While I agree with Orestes being hot, I'm actually glad that she turned him down. The historical record aside, it's nice to see a movie where a woman isn't interested in sex or romantic love but isn't portrayed as some kind of freak because of it. Plus, if she accepted him, we wouldn't have the scene with the most extreme proposal rejection I think I've ever seen in a movie (and apparently true to life at that, although I don't think the real Orestes was the one proposing).

I'm glad to know of at least one other person who saw that very good movie. It didn't get nearly the attention it deserved.

Turkish

Turkish

Stalker

Posted Nov 14, 2011 @ 9:32 AM

I'm glad to know of at least one other person who saw that very good movie. It didn't get nearly the attention it deserved.

I recently saw this on Netflix. Before seeing it I thought maybe it didn't get a lot of exposure because it wasn't very good but I absolutely loved it upon seeing it. Maybe all the religious stuff scared people off, IDK. I thought Rachel Weisz(whom I think is very underrated) did an amazing job and that character was one of the best female characters of the year. One of the best in a few years actually.

Bawoman

Bawoman

Fanatic

Posted Nov 14, 2011 @ 9:34 AM

I suppose her and Steff would have been a bit like Claire & Bender from The Breakfast Club.

Kind of, but with the roles reversed

I also wanted Alice & Larry to hook up in Closer. They had mad chemistry in their scenes.

Well, they did hook up for a ONS, I just wish we could have gotten to see it. At least we had that amazing preview scene in the strip club, which was the absolutely sexiest moment in the movie. I SO rooted for Clive Owen in that movie.

Redtracer

Redtracer

Fanatic

Posted Nov 14, 2011 @ 12:01 PM

I thought Rachel Weisz(whom I think is very underrated) did an amazing job and that character was one of the best female characters of the year. One of the best in a few years actually.

Absolutely. I'm a big Rachel Weisz fan, and she just carried this movie beautifully. And the Hypatia/Orestes relationship was so interesting. I don't know if he ever stopped loving her in that way (if she had changed her mind about getting married, he probably would have still jumped at the chance, only turning her down if absolutely necessary for political purposes), but he clearly had such respect for her work and her convictions, even though he didn't agree with all of them. I like to think that they were platonic soulmates. And their final scene together broke my heart.

I'd like to see Rachel Weisz and Oscar Isaac in another movie together. They had great chemistry.

BeetFarmGirl

BeetFarmGirl

Fanatic

Posted Nov 14, 2011 @ 12:03 PM

Also, in the movie Singles I was hoping Bridget Fonda's character would hook up with that nice plastic surgeon who refused to give her the breast implants she wanted to hold on to her douche boyfriend. I thought it was so sweet that he thought she was fine as is.

Dr Jamison!

but that was the time period where Bill Pullman never got the girl ( much like James Marsden) He didn't get Bridget Fonda in Singles, he didn't get Meg Ryan in Sleepless in Seattle, and his wife, Nicole Kidman was cheating on him in Malice.

Edited by BeetFarmGirl, Nov 14, 2011 @ 1:37 PM.

Jeebus Cripes

Jeebus Cripes

Fanatic

Posted Nov 14, 2011 @ 5:03 PM

Well, they did hook up for a ONS, I just wish we could have gotten to see it. At least we had that amazing preview scene in the strip club, which was the absolutely sexiest moment in the movie. I SO rooted for Clive Owen in that movie.

Did they? I haven't seen the film in a while, but I was under the impression that nothing happened after the lapdance. Perhaps I missed something.

but that was the time period where Bill Pullman never got the girl ( much like James Marsden) He didn't get Bridget Fonda in Singles, he didn't get Meg Ryan in Sleepless in Seattle, and his wife, Nicole Kidman was cheating on him in Malice.

I can't for the life of me understand why Bill Pullman and James Marsden wouldn't have women lining up for them. It always pisses me off when they don't get the girl.

Batman Beatles

Batman Beatles

Fanatic

Posted Nov 14, 2011 @ 5:27 PM

Wrong thread.

Edited by Batman Beatles, Nov 14, 2011 @ 5:32 PM.

IseutLaBrune

IseutLaBrune

Fanatic

Posted Nov 14, 2011 @ 5:33 PM

Did they? I haven't seen the film in a while, but I was under the impression that nothing happened after the lapdance. Perhaps I missed something.

I haven't seen the movie for awhile either, but I thought the movie kept it deliberately vague as to whether or not they hooked up.

Either way, yes, that scene between them was hawt. It sounds kind of funny to read their characters together as "Alice and Larry," which sound like the names of 70's sitcom sidekicks, rather than Natalie Portman and Clive Owen at their sexiest peak. Amazing how they blew the movie's two main "stars" out of the water with their acting talent and intensity.

Bawoman

Bawoman

Fanatic

Posted Nov 14, 2011 @ 5:48 PM

I haven't seen the movie for awhile either, but I thought the movie kept it deliberately vague as to whether or not they hooked up.

It was initially kept as vague, then toward the end Larry tells Dan they did sleep together, when Dan goes to see him at his office, and Alice later also admits it to him when they're breaking up.

Edited by Bawoman, Nov 14, 2011 @ 8:10 PM.