Telling Tales: The Fanfic Thread

• Please log in to reply

280 replies to this topic

Toughie

Toughie

Couch Potato

Posted Jul 9, 2012 @ 3:26 PM

That was very enjoyable and I partly wish that was how Emma really found out about the curse. Very nice and thanks for sharing.

Aliasscape

Aliasscape

Fanatic

Posted Jul 12, 2012 @ 10:27 PM

Thanks Dani-Elle. I loved it. I can't believe I'd overlooked it all these weeks thinking it was some kind of Swan Queen fic. Haha.

Dani-Ellie

Dani-Ellie

Fanatic

Posted Jul 13, 2012 @ 10:05 AM

Thank you both very much!

Swan Queen kind of fascinates me. I mean, I can sort of see where it comes from (because the Regina/Emma back-and-forth really was a lot of fun to write) and I can read it to an extent, but I don't think I'd ever be able to write it. Their interactions come off as pure hate to me instead of lust-masquerading-as-hate.

I do, however, love me some Mary Margaret/Emma bonding fic. They're the heart of the show for me, and I love seeing explorations of their relationship.

Aliasscape

Aliasscape

Fanatic

Posted Aug 6, 2012 @ 12:04 AM

I do, however, love me some Mary Margaret/Emma bonding fic. They're the heart of the show for me, and I love seeing explorations of their relationship.

Heh I can tell since you sneaked into fanfiction.net with ANOTHER awesome post-finale Emma and Mary Margaret bonding story that is of course fantastic!

Can You Help Me?

Dani-Ellie

Dani-Ellie

Fanatic

Posted Aug 6, 2012 @ 8:09 PM

Thank you very much! That one came to me on my drive to work one day, haha.

watchergirl

watchergirl

Fanatic

Posted Oct 9, 2012 @ 1:54 PM

I would love links to as many Rumbelle fics that are not the worst thing ever as possible, please. (I made the mistake of searching FF.net and that was just...horrifying. I had to run away.)

I seem to have developed an addiction to this oddball pairing over the summer/post season premiere.

oldandnewfirm

oldandnewfirm

Couch Potato

Posted Oct 9, 2012 @ 3:11 PM

I would love links to as many Rumbelle fics that are not the worst thing ever as possible, please. (I made the mistake of searching FF.net and that was just...horrifying. I had to run away.)

First: Never go to FF.net, ever.
Second: The place you want to be is Archive of Our Own, also known as AO3. Another excellent option is Tumblr, where the Rumbelle fandom is vast, the works posted there are, with few exceptions, of high to outstanding quality, and everyone is incredibly friendly and welcoming. That's where I spend 99% of my time when it comes to Once fandom overall.

As for who to read, the classic choices are as follows:

Anything by Fyre (on AO3)
Anything by Bad-Faery (on AO3)
A Bed of Thorns by Nym (on AO3)
Anything by Cyprith (on tumblr. Tumblr addresses follow a username.tumblr.com pattern)
Anything by Rufeepeach (on tumblr)

And so many more that I'm forgetting most of them. Accio-Firewhiskey, another great Rumbelle author, has a rec list here (she's got three more linked somewhere on her tumblr as well)
And my rec list is http://oldandnewfirm.tumblr.com/recs'>here. Shameless self promotion, my fic is here too.

Edited by oldandnewfirm, Oct 9, 2012 @ 3:18 PM.

watchergirl

watchergirl

Fanatic

Posted Oct 9, 2012 @ 4:18 PM

Eeeeee, oldandnewfirm, I expect I owe you a firstborn or something in this deal! My day, it is made.

The Songfic. The incredible, horrible amount of OOC songfic, MY EYES.

Princess Aldrea

Princess Aldrea

Stalker

Posted Oct 9, 2012 @ 5:04 PM

There are plenty of good stories on ff.net. You just can't know before starting to read if it's going to be good or not.

oldandnewfirm

oldandnewfirm

Couch Potato

Posted Oct 9, 2012 @ 5:47 PM

There are plenty of good stories on ff.net. You just can't know before starting to read if it's going to be good or not.

That's the problem: finding good or even decent fic on FF.net involves sorting through too much drek, especially for big fandoms. I couldn't throw a stone without hitting something eye gougingly atrocious on FF.net, whereas as Livejournal, Tumblr, or AO3 I could read fic for days before I find something that I'd consider mediocre at worst.

Once upon a time FF.net was the go-to place for fic, but with so many other options now a lot of quality writers (again, particularly those in big fandoms) have migrated away from it in favor of other portals. Which isn't to say that there still isn't good fic lurking in the depths of FF.net; it's just that for me at least it's not worth the effort when I know for a fact that there are vast quantities of excellent fic to be found on other sites.

Edited by oldandnewfirm, Oct 9, 2012 @ 5:50 PM.

Tzigone

Tzigone

Fanatic

Posted Oct 17, 2012 @ 10:16 AM

If anyone has found any Blue Fairy/Jiminy fic, I'd love to be pointed in that direction.

Also any fic with Gretel, Ella and Thomas, Abigail and Frederick, or Grumpy and Nova written since "Broken." Not just shippy stuff - I love long, plot-driven fic. No Swan Queen, Wooden Queen, or Graham coming back from the dead, though. And only very limited Rumbelle - it's fine as a canonical part of a plot-driven fic, but I don't support the 'ship, so would not enjoy a fic centered on it.

I'd also love any post-"We Are Both" fic where Geppetto talks to Henry about Pinocchio or fics about Sneezy and his lost memories (have read "I am None" already).

I like supporting/minor characters.

Edited by Tzigone, Oct 17, 2012 @ 10:28 AM.

TheSporkWielder

TheSporkWielder

Fanatic

Posted Oct 17, 2012 @ 12:25 PM

Another good place to go for het shipper fic is het-reccers on LJ. As the title implies, they're a comm for reccing shippy fics for various het couples in all sorts of different fandoms. You can request recs as well as look through the lists, and every fic I've read that was recc'd there was very good. Here's a link to their Once Upon a Time tag, though glancing at it, it looks like most of the recs there are Rumbelle or Snow/Charming.

Bussy

Bussy

Fanatic

Posted Oct 17, 2012 @ 1:40 PM

No Swan Queen, Wooden Queen, or Graham coming back from the dead, though.

Wooden Queen? That's a new one for me! Is that August/Regina? Is that a thing now? Wow. I remember hearing about "Evil Whale" and laughing myself silly. Best ship name ever.

If there are rare characters or pairs you are into (ex. Blue Fairy/Jiminy or Gretel), you can always subscribe to a character or pairing tag on Archive of Our Own. That way you will be notified whenever anyone posts a story about a certain character or ship, and you don't always have to remember to search for it. For example, go to the AOOO website, and in the search box search for "Blue Fairy". Then you get a bunch of results. Click on the tag for "Blue Fairy|Mother Superior" in one of the story summaries to get a more 'official' list by the specific tag. Then press subscribe at the top left. You can add that tag to your Google homepage or something. There's a more complicated way to get an RSS feed that I figured out once but can't remember again.

Apologies if you already knew all that!

Tzigone

Tzigone

Fanatic

Posted Oct 17, 2012 @ 1:54 PM

Wooden Queen? That's a new one for me! Is that August/Regina? Is that a thing now? Wow. I remember hearing about "Evil Whale" and laughing myself silly. Best ship name ever.

I actually think I saw it somewhere, but I meant to write Wooden Swan (or is it Wood Swan?). Actually, I don't ship Regina or Emma or Rumpel with anyone. So there's a lot of fic I don't read.

I've been to AOOO, but last I saw tags weren't working - you couldn't filter by them. I also look at ff.net and a Once fanfic livejournal. But since I don't ship Regina, Emma, or Rumpel, I don't find a lot of fic (except Charming family fic, which I do like). So I figured maybe someone here knew of more obscure places to look or of someplace with fic for minor characters.

TheSporkWielder

TheSporkWielder

Fanatic

Posted Oct 17, 2012 @ 3:40 PM

I've been to AOOO, but last I saw tags weren't working - you couldn't filter by them.

You can't use them in the search feature, but if you're reading a fic that has the "Blue Fairy" tag, for example, you can click on that particular tag and filter down to all the fics that have her tagged in them. Granted, that'll bring up every fic that MENTIONS her, not just the ones in which she actually does anything significant (I like Ao3's tag system, but I think they should have some kind of tagging limit so that people can't just tag every character that gets a drive-by mention).

Once Upon a Time is one of the few fandoms I read fic for where I don't ship a ship that's never gonna happen, so I know from past experience your pain about the dearth of good non-canon-ship fic.

I can't think of it off the top of my head, but I know there's a tumblr (or maybe LJ) group of fanficcers that purposely only writes fic for "rare pairings". I'll do some digging and see if I can find them.

Edited by TheSporkWielder, Oct 17, 2012 @ 3:42 PM.

Tzigone

Tzigone

Fanatic

Posted Oct 17, 2012 @ 4:47 PM

so I know from past experience your pain about the dearth of good non-canon-ship fic.

Jiminy/Blue is my only non-canon ship for the show. All the others (except Snow/Charming, which I like) are just because I like supporting characters.

And with the huge amounts of non-canon-ship fics for this show, the one I like one you don't find. Two supporting characters, and the Blue Fairy isn't popular. But he totally crushes on her in the Disney movie, and that's where I'm coming from. Plus they could have had a relationship built up over decades instead of falling for each other overnight like our other couples.

Also because I don't want to ship anyone with Emma. Not Regina, not August, not Graham, not Jefferson. No one. Let her be a mom and child and friend. I've got plenty of great love stories and couples I love for this show - it's okay for Emma not to have a romance right now. Plus, I really want her to get settled in her own skin, her new role, all that, before romance comes.

I can't think of it off the top of my head, but I know there's a tumblr (or maybe LJ) group of fanficcers that purposely only writes fic for "rare pairings". I'll do some digging and see if I can find them.

That would be lovely, thank you.

Aliasscape

Aliasscape

Fanatic

Posted Oct 17, 2012 @ 5:52 PM

I pretty much only want to read Charming family type stories, mostly Snow and Emma, but for some reason it's extremely common to bring Graham back from the dead for that, or there's just way too much August and I don't like him. So yeah, my fanfic reading is crazy limited.

As for coolest ship name in the fandom, Blue Whale is up there.

TheSporkWielder

TheSporkWielder

Fanatic

Posted Oct 18, 2012 @ 10:15 AM

Okay, so here's the LJ for the Rare Pair Fest, though they're multifandom, so I don't know if there's any Once fic on here, yet. I know there's another Rare Pairing comm, but for the love of me, I can't find it anymore. Humph. I'll keep looking.

Once Upon a Time lends itself to cool-sounding ship names (Snow Queen and Red Swan and so forth); the only truly silly ones as far as I've seen are "Rumbelle" and "Snowing"; I just giggle at name mash-ups.

Vanilla Siren

Vanilla Siren

Fanatic

Posted Oct 24, 2012 @ 1:49 PM

Okay, so here's my first "Once Upon a Time" fanfic!

Back Where She Belongs

Based on the Rumple/Regina scenes from Season 2, Episode 2, "We Are Both."

Please be gentle. ;)

toddringersdry

toddringersdry

Channel Surfer

Posted Oct 31, 2012 @ 5:42 PM

I have nothing to add except, ah hah hah, Blue Whale, oh that is awesome.

Toughie

Toughie

Couch Potato

Posted Nov 7, 2012 @ 11:26 AM

So, now that we know Neal is Henry's father has anyone seen any (good) fanfic of him out there? And by Neal I mean Neal... not Neal as Bae.

Tzigone

Tzigone

Fanatic

Posted Nov 8, 2012 @ 6:44 AM

So, now that we know Neal is Henry's father has anyone seen any (good) fanfic of him out there? And by Neal I mean Neal... not Neal as Bae.

I second the request. Especially interested in his thoughts when he got the postcard, when he finds out about Henry, when he finds out what August did, and when Snow or Charming meets him.

I found a short little Neal fic, if anyone's interested.

Tzigone

Tzigone

Fanatic

Posted Nov 19, 2012 @ 8:36 AM

I think August is in a very interesting place, story-wise. We haven't seen him on the show since "We Are Both" and I was wondering if anyone had seen any (non-shippy) fanfic that addresses that. Is he puppet or human? How does he feel about the curse being broken, why hasn't he seen his father, does he know Emma and Snow are not in Storybrooke, what are his thoughts when sending the post card, etc. I'm particularly interested in his perception of self-worth, of how much he gave in to temptation v. trying to make up for it, and in how he feels about his father. To a lesser degree, his thoughts on Jiminy (keeping him straight as a child) or the Blue Fairy (especially if they have fairy dust now) could be good, too. Really, though, anything that addresses where he is and what he's doing after the curse breaks would be of interest to me.

Edited by Tzigone, Nov 19, 2012 @ 8:36 AM.

Whodunnit

Whodunnit

Video Archivist

Posted Nov 26, 2012 @ 12:36 AM

I thought of a name for a crack pairing tonight and thought I'd throw it out there: Sninja for Snow/Mulan. (Thank you Eureka, lol.) Must have been the glaring arrow pointing scene that made me think of that.

ETA: That's a lovely little Neal Fic Tzigone.

Edited by Whodunnit, Nov 26, 2012 @ 12:41 AM.

CheerAngel

CheerAngel

Fanatic

Posted Jan 6, 2013 @ 1:27 AM

For any other Mulan/Aurora fans around, I found two great fics:

The Princess and the Warrior

In which the two continue their quest to restore Phillip's soul over the remains of the enchanted forest, a search over years which bears no fruit, and finally Aurora begins to tire.

A Story, a Tale

Which turns the entire show on its head, where Maleficent created the curse to trap Aurora. Special guest star Emma the Grouchy Baby.

Edited by CheerAngel, Jan 8, 2013 @ 3:00 AM.

petunia846

petunia846

Stalker

Posted Mar 31, 2013 @ 6:07 AM

I'm really enjoying "Made All the Difference" by misscam. It's like the events of season 1, except it was Rumple who cast the curse and became mayor instead of Regina. Mary Margaret and David Nolan are together and raising their adopted son, Henry. That sounded pretty cheesy to me, but I was desperate, so I clicked on it, and it's actually really well done and pretty fascinating. I actually really like everything misscam has written for Once, but I didn't realize this was her until after I started reading.

NettlestoneNell

NettlestoneNell

Loyal Viewer

Posted May 2, 2013 @ 8:20 AM

Wow!

*So* glad I stumbled on this topic. I did a Once FF search on Google only to find that all they wanted to point me to was fanfiction.net, which I thought, oh, okay--because I've been with them as an author for a long, long time (like, '01) when they were an author and readers' only choice, and I am currently posting an epic Robin Hood AU that transplants the action to the Nazi-Occupied British Channel Islands in WWII, so I go there often enough, anyway.

But I went and pulled up the Once stuff--and, well, there are no words. (Then, I've never been much of one for unusual, non-canon pairings unless they're sort of written tongue in cheek).

So when the time came to post a Once fic I found I had to take time out to write, I just went ahead and posted there.

So, The Father-Daughter Dance, because Charming and Emma are so very, very, very, very, VERY past-due in having some sort of a conversation addressing their relationship. It had started to keep me up at night. Seriously.

It's just a few pages (but a complete scene/interaction) that could be placed in your head canon any time after Emma returned from the Enchanted Forest and after Neal came to Storybrooke and met the rest of the Charmings.

petunia846

petunia846

Stalker

Posted May 2, 2013 @ 1:11 PM

I was literally just searching for stories about Emma and Charming. That was sweet.

sudoku

sudoku

Loyal Viewer

Posted May 3, 2013 @ 4:30 AM

I like humor and this parody is really funny.

Once Upon a Parody The caffeine-induced play-by-play for those viewers who haven't been paying attention.

It's up to "The Stranger" at the moment. I never laughed so much reading OUAT fanfic as I was reading this.

NettlestoneNell

NettlestoneNell

Loyal Viewer

Posted May 11, 2013 @ 8:41 AM

I was literally just searching for stories about Emma and Charming. That was sweet.

petunia846: Thank you!

I am presently working on a little conversation scene between Jiminy and Granny. I'll post here when it's done.