Telling Tales: The Fanfic Thread

• Please log in to reply

277 replies to this topic

DollEyes

DollEyes

Fanatic

Posted Nov 5, 2011 @ 12:16 PM

Since Once Upon A Time is based on stories, it's only natural that it would inspire some of its own, like, for example, No Hands by anzafire, which is a sweet one-shot about Emma and Henry playing hooky.

Whether you want to discuss someone's else's work or pimp your own, chat about OUAT fanfic here. BTW, no real-person fic please because that's just gross, IMO.

crimpinmystyle

crimpinmystyle

Channel Surfer

Posted Nov 15, 2011 @ 10:13 PM

Two wonderful OUAT fics I've stumbled upon:

Suspended (Just Waiting for a Line)

And the Heart is Hard to Translate

Rinslet

Rinslet

Video Archivist

Posted Nov 16, 2011 @ 12:21 AM

My favorite so far is this: Retrograde

Tableau

Tableau

Fanatic

Posted Nov 16, 2011 @ 3:31 AM

Someone in an episode thread mentioned this fic called Timeless. It's an interesting take on how the frozen time in Storybrooke affected Henry since he was the only child who aged. I thought it was pretty good.

Edited by Tableau, Nov 28, 2011 @ 11:28 PM.

crimpinmystyle

crimpinmystyle

Channel Surfer

Posted Dec 1, 2011 @ 3:22 PM

This was a nice fic, from Charming/James perspective.

He Likes Snow

CheerAngel

CheerAngel

Fanatic

Posted Dec 14, 2011 @ 4:33 PM

From the same author as Retrograde, a response to the end of the last episode

The Huntman's Heart

Lots of wonderful details (of course Emma would end up thinking being a princess bites, they had to kill Regina twice, Henry finding all the secret passageways), and everyone is completely in character.

joylee

joylee

Channel Surfer

Posted Jan 16, 2012 @ 7:03 PM

Wonderful prequel to Desperate Souls Siuil A Ruin fleshing out Rumpel's story.

Triper

Triper

Channel Surfer

Posted Jan 22, 2012 @ 6:59 AM

A beautiful story about Mary Margaret realizing she's Snow White is well I was the one who showed you the sky. I keep rereading it every couple of days.

StarryDreamer

StarryDreamer

Fanatic

Posted Jan 22, 2012 @ 10:31 AM

Here's a great Snow/Charming/MM/David story:

And It's Burning in the Rain

It basically explains how Snow & Charming/David & MM come together in their respective storylines. There's some speculation based on a few spoilers that have been thrown out. Nothing earth shattering though.

Edited by StarryDreamer, Jan 22, 2012 @ 10:32 AM.

ottergreen

ottergreen

Fanatic

Posted Jan 23, 2012 @ 10:04 PM

I would give cookies and my first born child* to anyone who will make a fanvid of Snow and Charming set to Taylor Swift's Sparks Fly. Actually, this cover is a better version...

The way you move is like a full-on rain storm,
And I'm a house of cards.
You're the kind of reckless that should send me running,
but I kinda know that I won't get far.

And you stood there in front of me,
Just close enough to touch.
Close enough to hope you couldn't see
What I was thinking of:

Drop everything now,
Meet me in the pouring rain,
Kiss me on the sidewalk,
Take away the pain,
'Cause I see sparks fly
Whenever you smile.

My mind forgets to remind me
That you're a bad idea.
You touch me once and it's really something
You find I'm even better than you
Imagined I would be.

Cause seriously guys how perfect is that for Snow/Charming/MM/David?? I wish I knew how to make videos! Any takers?

*That's the going rate, right Rumpy?

Aliasscape

Aliasscape

Fanatic

Posted Jan 23, 2012 @ 10:40 PM

My sister seriously wants a fan vid set to the song at the end of Princess Bride. Storybook Love "Our love is like a storybook story...". I can't believe there isn't one already but I haven't found one yet.

Princess Aldrea

Princess Aldrea

Stalker

Posted Feb 18, 2012 @ 1:31 PM

In the Shadow of the Toll Bridge is an absolutely wonderful story that goes AU when David is in Gold's shop and his attention is attracted by a different object thus waking him up from the curse. Emma's not exactly ready to see the truth but that doesn't mean that he and whoever else he can wake up can't take their own crack at weakening the curse.

ouronlylight

ouronlylight

Couch Potato

Posted Feb 19, 2012 @ 2:16 AM

The following are just a few of my favorite OUaT fics; I tend to go for melancholy, introspective one-shots, and my favorite character is Regina, so that's mostly what the following are.

"And the cruelest of these is love" — The Queen knows what love is. This may be my favorite fic; it's a set of vignettes that explores Regina's understanding of love. It's absolutely breathtaking, and the last vignette just takes my heart and crushes it to dust.

"i could give you my apologies" — Emma chuckles, again, because Regina is the sappy romantic between the both of them, a firm believer in happy endings and grand gestures, Emma/Regina, AU. It's a reworking of the pilot where Fairytale Land never existed and Henry is just a kid who wants his moms to get back together. I really do love this; it's familiar and new at the same time.

"Land and the Sea" — “It's not a game, Miss Swan. I'm dead, buried in the ground. Though I'd imagine haunting you might become a bit of a game, depending on how well you play your part.” (AU — Regina dies in the fire, but you can't get rid of a witch that easily.) This is one of my absolute favorites; the grief here is just so lovely, with poor Henry trying to reconcile the fact that Regina was both the Evil Queen and his mom, and Emma trying to deal with seeing ghosts. It's Swan Queen at the end, but the whole thing is just so incredible that I recommend it even if Emma/Regina isn't your cup of tea.

"my sin was faith" — the girl, Belle thinks, must have gone mad in a single-room with only a single soul to speak to. I know that Jane Espenson said that she thinks that Regina was lying about Belle's father, but this fic is such an amazingly haunting look at what happens when Belle returns home to her father that I hope that Espenson's wrong.

"Para||els" — It's a very cute at both Charming and David, and their relationship with Emma. Did I mention that it's adorable? There's also a second part (linked at the source) about the Genie/Mirror/Sidney that uses the same format.

"These Holidays Won't Be Wonderful (or, 5 Christmases In The Life Of Emma Swan That Really Suck And 1 That Doesn't)" — She drinks whiskey by the light of the Christmas tree and does her best not to stare at the emptiness underneath it. ... But it still stings, in that familiar way that reminds her that yes, it's Christmas. The title pretty much says it all. The last vignette is Swan Queen, but please don't let that stop you, because I have never loved and appreciated Emma Swan as much as I did in this fic.

trillian0921

trillian0921

Channel Surfer

Posted Feb 19, 2012 @ 8:26 PM

In the Shadow of the Toll Bridge is an absolutely wonderful story that goes AU when David is in Gold's shop and his attention is attracted by a different object thus waking him up from the curse. Emma's not exactly ready to see the truth but that doesn't mean that he and whoever else he can wake up can't take their own crack at weakening the curse.

I cannot second this enough!

zombygirl

zombygirl

Fanatic

Posted Feb 24, 2012 @ 3:22 AM

I find it weird that there is like a metric shit ton of Rumple/Belle fan fic out now. Wow, that took like a second and a half to take off.

Princess Aldrea

Princess Aldrea

Stalker

Posted Feb 24, 2012 @ 12:31 PM

Well there was already a ton of Rumple/OC fanfic out there and now people have the chance to make a canon pairing but since there is so little seen of Belle and her character they are still basically Rumple/OC stories with their Belles differing wildly from each other.

gaygeeksf

gaygeeksf

Channel Surfer

Posted Mar 29, 2012 @ 10:16 PM

I have yet to find fanfic of a Once Upon A time/Warehouse 13 crossover. Such a thing would be either horrible or cool. I still cannot decide which though.

chipper

chipper

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 19, 2012 @ 12:34 AM

I don't know if this really counts as fanfiction but there's a pretty hilarious tumbler mashing gifs of Once Upon a Time with Mean Girls quotes. Once Upon a Time/Mean Girls. Enjoy!

Triper

Triper

Channel Surfer

Posted Apr 19, 2012 @ 6:22 AM

Just read this fic this morning. It's a post curse look at Emma and her thoughts as James and Snow are expecting a new baby. Just beautiful. Bound to Second Place

Tzigone

Tzigone

Fanatic

Posted May 14, 2012 @ 2:04 PM

Anyone else looking forward to fic over the summer break? I mean, usually, you have to worry about the fic you are reading being invalidated the next week. Especially with longer, plot-related fics. I'm not big on fics that contradict canon, usually (AUs are separate category, but aren't usually my thing, though I am enjoying Toll Bridge). So this means I can read fic for months without it being invalidated. See different paths and speculations. And, especially above all else, see fics where everyone reacts to having their memories again. I'm really looking forward to those.

Aliasscape

Aliasscape

Fanatic

Posted May 14, 2012 @ 9:41 PM

Anyone else on the out for Charming Family reunion fic that's NOT totally sappy? The ones I've found have her calling Snow and Charming Mommy and Daddy in like seconds. Grr. I want some angst! A broken curse and actual parents doesn't erase the rough life Emma lived for 28 years or the fact that she really doesn't know these people!

oldandnewfirm

oldandnewfirm

Couch Potato

Posted May 14, 2012 @ 10:23 PM

Aliasscape, there's one on AO3 called Not Quite Made in China by Fyre that handles their reunion well. And by well I mean awkwardly, which is exactly how things between them should be now that the curse is broken. Besides that I couldn't point you to any others; I'm not a Charming fan, so any reunions I've come across for them are usually only touched on briefly in fics for the characters/pairings I do read for.

Now if you're looking for Rumbelle, that's a pairing I could help you with. ;)

CheerAngel

CheerAngel

Fanatic

Posted May 15, 2012 @ 1:07 AM

Maybe the hiatus will finally make me get off my ass and write my AU no curse fic (wherein Princess Emma finds her grandmother's vault of hearts and vows to return them all in her own fairy tale quest).

Aliasscape

Aliasscape

Fanatic

Posted May 15, 2012 @ 1:59 AM

Aliasscape, there's one on AO3 called Not Quite Made in China by Fyre that handles their reunion well. And by well I mean awkwardly, which is exactly how things between them should be now that the curse is broken. Besides that I couldn't point you to any others; I'm not a Charming fan, so any reunions I've come across for them are usually only touched on briefly in fics for the characters/pairings I do read for.

Now if you're looking for Rumbelle, that's a pairing I could help you with. ;)

Sadly, Rumbelle holds no interest for me. I don't even want to read Snowing fic right now. Just family focused relationships, rather than romantic ones.

That story was written before the finale and has a whole lot of other things going on so it quickly moves beyond a family focus so doesn't get to the heart of what I was looking for. I guess I need to be patient, only been 24 hours, people need time to write something angsty and amazing. Or I'll just have to do it myself eventually.

Tzigone

Tzigone

Fanatic

Posted May 15, 2012 @ 3:09 PM

Anyone else on the out for Charming Family reunion fic that's NOT totally sappy? The ones I've found have her calling Snow and Charming Mommy and Daddy in like seconds. Grr. I want some angst! A broken curse and actual parents doesn't erase the rough life Emma lived for 28 years or the fact that she really doesn't know these people!

If you find anything like that, let me know! Not necessarily angst (though that's good), but at least Emma overwhelmed and confused and reeling from all that's happened. I mean, she really hasn't had time to emotionally process the revelation that it's all true. She was too busy fighting a dragon and dealing with Henry's impending death. Adapting to Henry living with her is the easy part. Her best bud is her mom, and has a much different personality. Everyone she knows in Storybrooke now has a different name and several have different personalities. Reality isn't what she thought it was. Her entire sense of what's real has changed - it could easily leave her discombobulated.

And then there's everyone else's memories returning for fic-potential. The King wanting to make up with his son and see his grandchild. August (if not still wooden) going to Geppetto. Abigail and Frederick. Ruby, The Blue Fairy, Archie, Hansel & Gretel, etc. I'd like to see most of those.

Then there's all the potential for plot-driven, the-magic-is-back, we-have-two-enemies type fic where all the emotional stuff has to be part of a larger whole.

Sappy-happy Charming reunion and especially Rumbelle are very well covered. Now we just need some other stuff. I wish I could write - I've tried in the past, but I'm just not very good at it.

Edited by Tzigone, May 15, 2012 @ 3:10 PM.

shadiou

shadiou

Just Tuned In

Posted May 16, 2012 @ 12:52 AM

Oh the Mean Girls/OUAT mash up is absolutely brilliant. I'm laughing so hard at my work desk that my colleagues are beginning to stare!

I've never been into fanfic but I have to say that this Rumbelle story is crazy good - well written and exactly how I would have imagined things to go down. Also, its all written and updated every day, I love it:

http://www.fanfictio..._and_Awakenings

Aliasscape

Aliasscape

Fanatic

Posted May 16, 2012 @ 12:55 AM

If you find anything like that, let me know! Not necessarily angst (though that's good), but at least Emma overwhelmed and confused and reeling from all that's happened. I mean, she really hasn't had time to emotionally process the revelation that it's all true. She was too busy fighting a dragon and dealing with Henry's impending death. Adapting to Henry living with her is the easy part. Her best bud is her mom, and has a much different personality. Everyone she knows in Storybrooke now has a different name and several have different personalities. Reality isn't what she thought it was. Her entire sense of what's real has changed - it could easily leave her discombobulated.

Yep. To me, "Mom" and "Dad" are just such special terms you don't start handing them out like candy. I mean come on, Henry's 10 years old and he still calls her Emma. (Though I'm crazy hoping that some of the behind the scenes on the DVDs show Jennifer and Josh calling each other "Dad" and "Daughter" because it sounds too cute.) Anyway

And because I'm apparently pure evil, I'd also like a short little aftermath fic in an AU where Henry really dies. Or at least remains dead for a lot longer than 2 minutes. Bonus points if the reunion takes place during the point they think Henry is gone. The angst-fest would be amazing.

Princess Aldrea

Princess Aldrea

Stalker

Posted May 29, 2012 @ 4:04 PM

Yep. To me, "Mom" and "Dad" are just such special terms you don't start handing them out like candy. I mean come on, Henry's 10 years old and he still calls her Emma.

That was partly for Emma's sake, though, since it took her a long while before she'd be cool with being called his mother.

Thespiel

Thespiel

Channel Surfer

Posted Jun 1, 2012 @ 6:52 AM

I don't know if people read a lot of f/f fanfiction on this board, but four of the OUAT fandom's most popular femslash authors will be discussing their stories and the popularity of the Swan Queen pairing on blogtalkradio on June 15. Link: Swan Queen Rising - "Once Upon a Time" Discussion

(...) we'll be focused on the "Swan Queen" phenomenon which quickly became popular at the start of the season. "Swan Queen" is the name most often used to describe the pairing of heroine Emma Swan (Jennifer Morrison), daughter of Snow White and Prince Charming, and villainess Regina Mills (Lana Parrilla), a.k.a. the Evil Queen. People have always loved hero/villain relationships, of course, and SQ is currently one of the most popular couples on sites like Fanfiction.net and ArchiveOfOurOwn. We'll be looking at SQ from ALL angles, from Henry to hatesex, dark curses to true love, Snow to Cora. Tonight's panel will consist of myself and four other SQ authors - Heartsways (who discussed her Lost Girl fic earlier), Writetherest, Fictorium, and AdventurePants.

Dani-Ellie

Dani-Ellie

Fanatic

Posted Jul 8, 2012 @ 12:37 PM

So, remember how about a month and a half or so ago, ViciousCircle suggested somewhere (in the Regina thread or the Emma thread ... one of the two) that all Regina had to do was prove to Emma it was all real and Emma would have a breakdown and Regina could have her committed? And then Aliasscape said someone should turn it into a fic?

Well, I did. Because it got into my head and wouldn't leave me alone, to the point that I was dreaming about it at night. And because I've been in a block for the last year and needed a challenge to help get my creative juices flowing again. I have to say, it was the most fun that I've had with a story in a good long time.

You can find it here. It follows canon up until "The Return" and departs from there. I don't usually pimp out my own work, but since the idea arose from discussion here, I thought I'd share. I also don't typically write an epic multi-chapter story my first time in a new fandom, so I hope I got the characterization right.