Whitechapel: Jack the Ripper 2.0

• Please log in to reply

147 replies to this topic

Princess Aldrea

Princess Aldrea

Stalker

Posted Apr 23, 2012 @ 11:29 AM

I like that explanation because it's much more plausible.

maraleia

maraleia

Fanatic

Posted Apr 23, 2012 @ 12:03 PM

Thanks LadiIzz for the recap! I just love how eerie this show is and the lighting or lack of lighting adds to the eeriness. Rupert Penry-Jones is doing a fantastic job playing an OCD character.

attica finch

attica finch

Stalker

Posted Apr 23, 2012 @ 1:46 PM

The whole 'alter' murderer didn't really work for me; MPD is falling into disfavor as a diagnosis, and people claiming it are increasingly found to be, um, not so afflicted. So I liked that Miles was given the voice of the skeptic, but I'd've liked it if debunking had worked its way into the result. That said, I've spent less pleasant hours of sillier murder-solving, so I'm not about to complain more vociferously than I just did.

I hope the bits that got cut for American tv included some scolding of Ella to call her poor mom and let her know she's alive, albeit goth.

abbottrabbit

abbottrabbit

Fanatic

Posted Apr 26, 2012 @ 9:28 AM

I hope the bits that got cut for American tv included some scolding of Ella to call her poor mom and let her know she's alive, albeit goth.

I think that did get cut, but I'd had a bit more wine than usual last week, so my memory is less than reliable.

Does anyone else who's watched both the UK and US versions feel like a lot of the Kent moments have gotten cut -- not so much his dialogue, but the longing looks and so on? Did we even get the moment where he's cleaning up the incident room exactly the same way Chandler does in the first case?

I mean, it's still there (you can't erase all that subtext!), but it seems like there's less of it to me. I can't help think that if you've only seen this version
Spoiler

Also, this last case was probably my least favorite watching it back in January, but MAN has that flipped. Either it holds up better than the others even when you know what's going to happen, or it's that much scarier watching it full sized on my TV than the smaller version on my laptop.

Princess Aldrea

Princess Aldrea

Stalker

Posted Apr 26, 2012 @ 7:47 PM

I can't help think that if you've only seen this version

Spoiler

Does he
Spoiler

cal331

cal331

Fanatic

Posted Apr 26, 2012 @ 9:40 PM

I am still loving this show; it's creepy and unusual with great characters and atmosphere. One thing that just occurred to me tonight is the similarity of this series to a book series I enjoy. Christopher Fowler's Bryant and May detective novels are very inventive and amusing. The Bryant and May characters are quite like Chandler and Miles, although the book characters are octogenarians. Still one is fussy and correct and one is more relaxed (and a bit of a mess.) In the book, the characters head up the Peculiar Crimes Unit, which is also really similar to the Whitechapel squad's cases. I heartily encourage you guys to try them.

About the show, can RPJ change shirts in every episode? Glad his OCD regimen doesn't preclude going to the gym!

Edited by cal331, Apr 27, 2012 @ 8:18 AM.

abbottrabbit

abbottrabbit

Fanatic

Posted Apr 27, 2012 @ 7:04 AM

Does he

Spoiler

No; he just
Spoiler

And seriously -- RPJ's portrayal of the OCD rituals in series 2 made my heart break for Chandler, but since the S3 rituals involve increased shirtless time, I kind of hope he never gets cured.

attica finch

attica finch

Stalker

Posted Apr 27, 2012 @ 9:40 AM

can RPJ change shirts in every episode?

Hee, yeah, that was a mid-week pick-me-up, certainly. I might've uttered a "Oh, HELL-o!" when the kit came off the first time, and a 'Yay! More!' for the second.

I'm more and more appreciating the editing and cinematography of the show, which do yeoman's work in making modern-day London seem gothic and dread-around-every-corner. The camera ramping, the effects (like the photo Mansell knocked off the wall that changed from a smiling girl to a grimacing girl), the dutch angles and tight close-ups. Nice.

Princess Aldrea

Princess Aldrea

Stalker

Posted Apr 27, 2012 @ 10:19 AM

This show freaks me out more than other procedurals I watch. That guy getting his mouth sown shut and a gun wired to his hand...*shudder*

I was wondering why he didn't just get down on the ground to prove he wasn't hostile but I guess if he knows there's a sniper and even if he doesn't he's been mutilated and people are looking to shoot him he might not be thinking clearly. Would they have been able to fix his mouth had he lived? I knew something was up when we heard muffled sounds coming from him but I figured it was more like a gag.

I love how Chandler's trying to get Miles to not matchmake...during a murder. Like he knows better than to try on normal occasions. I just love how their relationship has developed and I think that, even if things with Morgan don't work out, Chandler's getting closer and closer to finding someone. The female cop from the last episode (even without her strange hatred of Miles and unprofessional turning a murder case into a 'who do you like better' competition) seemed almost OCD herself and that wouldn't be good for Chandler. They'd just feed off of each other.

SparksFan59

SparksFan59

Fanatic

Posted Apr 27, 2012 @ 6:45 PM

I'm absolutely loving this show. While catching up on this past episode via On Demand I noticed that Comcast had the season 2 episodes still posted, much to my delight. I had missed the entire season, and it was wonderful to catch up. Season 2 is when Chandler and Miles really become partners.

I'm all for the shirt changing OCD instead of the light switch OCD moment from season 2, which I must admit had me laughing out loud.

Not sure I want Chandler coupled up as yet, but it could be another interesting angle to his personality. I will miss the series when it's over. I quite like the way they gave us 3 story arcs and 6 episodes. I hope that we get a 4th season.

Edited by SparksFan59, Apr 27, 2012 @ 6:46 PM.

Princess Aldrea

Princess Aldrea

Stalker

Posted Apr 27, 2012 @ 8:42 PM

I'm all for the shirt changing OCD instead of the light switch OCD moment from season 2, which I must admit had me laughing out loud.

I had mild OCD in the past (still a little but it mostly faded as I grew up) and I completely sympathized with him. I kind of did the same thing. For me, it was about evens and sometimes fours. Thinks had to be either even or in fours and if they weren't then I couldn't stop focusing on it. With the fours it was also a directional thing: up, down, left, right. But sometimes I might have a flip or whatever that was more up when it was supposed to be right or something and have to do four more just to accomodate that. It's so hard to explain and it might not make sense to someone who has never lived through it but it is hell. And Chandler has it far worse than I ever did.

Ladi Izz

Ladi Izz

Channel Surfer

Posted May 3, 2012 @ 10:58 AM

Poor DI Chandler! I'm absolutely gutted for him; as soon as Morgan kissed him and he was happy I just felt something awful was going to happen. That's not even one step forward, two steps back; that's like one step forward, being pushed down a flight of stairs. I have really enjoyed the show for the past 3 series, but one thing that annoys me is that they don't arrest anybody, all the murderers end up dying. Have they apprehended anyone besides the fake Kray twins (not including Luke's mother)?

Now that I can read under the black bars, I have to say Kent was weirding me out last night. It sucks that there are edits between the UK and US differences because it did seem to come out of left field.

Thanks LadiIzz for the recap!

Your welcome!

Sukeyna

Sukeyna

Loyal Viewer

Posted May 3, 2012 @ 1:13 PM

This show is steadily getting better. I'm keeping my fingers crossed that they announce confirmation of a fourth season soon.

And I second the notion that the shirt-changing is much more preferable to the light flicking!

The only thing I don't like about watching it on BBCA is all the editing for commercials. Grrrrrrrrr. I hope Netflix will have the not-so-edited UK versions like they do for other shows.

abbottrabbit

abbottrabbit

Fanatic

Posted May 3, 2012 @ 1:47 PM

Sometimes the On Demand versions have less edited out than the US broadcast versions (or at least, they did for Series one and two; I've not done a scholarly comparison of the UK vs US broadcast vs On Demand versions for S3 to see whether they left more in).

Princess Aldrea

Princess Aldrea

Stalker

Posted May 3, 2012 @ 5:08 PM

Aw...poor Kent. One day his love will at least be noticed by his boss.

This part me made laugh, though.

Chandler: What have you got against Morgan? You've obviously got a problem with her. What is it?

Though Kent didn't really answer, I would have thought it was obvious. Kent's problem with her is that he thinks she's in league with the murderer.

If Chandler were really so convinced she was innocent, though, why NOT investigate and prove it? Was he afraid of offending her?

mrc570

mrc570

Channel Surfer

Posted May 3, 2012 @ 5:27 PM

I've watched and enjoyed this show ever since BBCA started running it. I have to admit that the flashcuts (if that's the right term) do nothing for me, but its worth it to watch the Chandler/Miles show. Those 2 certainly have great chemistry.

WRT the last episode, however, it just seemed to not make a lot of sense. Maybe it was because of the editing, but it seemed to me that Morgan was being presented as possibly “bad”, even as a potential spree killer partner – after all, she was overheard making a rather surreptitious call (it sure didn’t sound like she was talking to her mother), so there was an objective basis for Kent’s suspicions. Why didn’t he mention that to Chandler, instead of just referring to his feelings or suspicions? I thought some of her advice was rather strange, and the rubber band thing is pretty basic for behavior modification – so why was Chandler so surprised? Speaking of which – why the heck has someone with such obvious OCD not sought help before?

Again, though, all that pales beside shirtless RPJ. More, please.

Navona

Navona

Fanatic

Posted May 3, 2012 @ 7:50 PM

Oh man, this guy cannot catch a break. That was heartbreaking. Not only did he like her and let her close, she was someone who understood his issues and wasn't deterred. Sniff. He really is doing an amazing job - and, I so hope it will be back. I hate thinking that this will be the last moment we see him.

musetta

musetta

Fanatic

Posted May 3, 2012 @ 10:29 PM

I hate thinking that this will be the last moment we see him.

Yeah, if this were the end of the series it would fall into "most depressing finale ever" territory; poor Chandler was given what must be the shortest window of happiness on record for a TV character. Once they showed the mother sitting outside the room where the social worker was I thought "uh-oh, this will not end well". Although I must admit the prospect of a therapist dating a guy with pretty severe OCD symptoms seemed a little off, the idea that this lonely guy might finally connect with someone made it root-able.

This last arc was probably the most creepy/scary one since S1 and Jack the Ripper, made even more frightening by the fact that when you take the mask off the Boogeyman he is just a kid.

Princess Aldrea

Princess Aldrea

Stalker

Posted May 4, 2012 @ 12:40 AM

but it seemed to me that Morgan was being presented as possibly “bad”, even as a potential spree killer partner –

She was certainly bitchy at the end to Kent (who, admittedly, kind of deserved it). I'm not convinced that she was innocent. Maybe Luke was working with her and used his last words to clear her by talking about wanting her dead and his mother either misunderstood or decided that she should die, too, and so killed her. Was the mother involved in the earlier murders or just that one? I guess Kent was probably right about two people.

Why did both cops go and get her a cup of tea? That seems implausible. And why was Morgan wearing a bathrobe?

Why were all of the vandals in the same class except Elsa? Did Elsa die at the end or did Luke not have time to kill her?

And did they just sort of forget that that high-up guy that cares about Chandler exists? I mean, I can understand if there's no room for the character anymore or the actor is unavailable but he seems to no longer exist in their world.

And I didn't like how Chandler made Kent apologize at the end. It seemed kind of like abuse of power.

cal331

cal331

Fanatic

Posted May 4, 2012 @ 8:56 AM

Why did both cops go and get her a cup of tea? That seems implausible. And why was Morgan wearing a bathrobe?

I think only one cop was guarding the crazy mum, and the other was just talking to him. They took off in different directions. I guess for the purposes of the plot, there was only one guard, the mum wasn't supposed to be a threat, her son was. Oh, and she wasn't wearing a bathrobe, it was a crime scene suit. She hadn't any clothes after escaping the killer in her bathrobe. (It took me three scenes to work that out, though, because the suit looked like her robe, but eventually I noticed she had pants.)

I thought Morgan seemed suspicious - she did survive two attacks and had no other connection to the victims that died, or so it seemed. I don't blame Kent for being cautious. I think in general the team shouldn't be giving details concerning suspects or the crimes to anyone outside the unit. They only have to watch The Killing to know how badly that can turn out.

attica finch

attica finch

Stalker

Posted May 4, 2012 @ 9:46 AM

So Kent interrupts Morgan on the telephone. What, they don't have any kind of caller ID at the Station to confirm whom it was she was talking to? For heaven's sake. That should take like a minute, done and dusted. But then we wouldn't have had pouting Kent and prickly Chandler, so,....okay.

I liked all the scenes with Mantus and his Lon Chaney hallucinations. Sometimes a spree killer just wants to chill with some chips and a flick and his bros before heading home, you know?

EndoKE

EndoKE

Fanatic

Posted May 6, 2012 @ 5:24 AM

For some reason, I didn't like Morgan. Though I didn't think she was involved in the murders, she was pretty nasty to Kent. He did deserve it, maybe, but as a therapist Morgan should have understood why he was suspicious of her.

Did Chandler have this severe OCD in series one? I can't remember.

I hope this wasn't the end of the series because if it is, I feel like I've wasted my time and that last scene really made zero sense. What was the point of Chandler getting close to Morgan only to have her killed like five minutes later? That felt like it was done for shock value only, and then they show him walking down this dark hallway; is that suppose to signify that he's descending into madness? The series didn't even end, it just stopped like they'd run out of film or something.

One more issue I had with this show, don't they have any light bulbs in Whitechapel? Every place was just so dark.

AllAboutMBTV

AllAboutMBTV

Fanatic

Posted May 7, 2012 @ 11:18 AM

Count me in, too, for wanting a season 4. Sure, some more RPJ shirtlessness is always welcome, but I also enjoy Chandler and Miles' working relationship. They're almost as much a "couple" as Holmes/Watson over on "Sherlock." More, pleaseandthankyou!

bosawks

bosawks

Fanatic

Posted May 7, 2012 @ 11:38 AM

Poor Joe, having to watch him shuffle off deep into the darkness until he was drowning in it, was rough.

God that was sad, I had to walk the dog and watch the ducklings in the park to feel better, yeesh!

Jon N

Jon N

Fanatic

Posted May 8, 2012 @ 1:55 AM

First, RPJ needs to be shirtless more often, and of course, pantless too, why not?? Find an excuse and put him there producers!!!

That was such a sad ending, as soon as the scene cut to the mother outside looking at Morgan, it was inevitable she would die. All overall, I really enjoy the series, and hope it doesn't end, but I find it odd that there was only 6 episodes and 3 each in the other two seasons.

I find this episode a bit creepy though, actually too creepy. But everything I've seen on this show so far is disturbing.

Princess Aldrea

Princess Aldrea

Stalker

Posted May 8, 2012 @ 8:45 AM

For some reason, I didn't like Morgan. Though I didn't think she was involved in the murders, she was pretty nasty to Kent.

I thought she was really nasty at some other point, too, but I don't remember what. Maybe with Miles? She just seemed really passive-aggressive and not nice to everyone but Chandler. And can't she take a freaking apology? She should realize that it was highly suspicious that she lived both times, especially the first. Her managing to run away and stab the guy is one thing but he honestly didn't notice that she wasn't dead because she pretended to pass out? Even if she wasn't pretending, he didn't even make sure that she wasn't just unconscious. Really, really careless of him.

but I find it odd that there was only 6 episodes and 3 each in the other two seasons.

What's so odd about it?

Jon N

Jon N

Fanatic

Posted May 9, 2012 @ 2:58 AM

What's so odd about it?

I'm from the states, so I'm watching this on BBC America, I guess I was just assuming the way programmings are in the UK would be similar where we get at least 12 - 13 episodes a season instead of 3 or in this case, only 6. Granted I don't know how ratings work over there either.

Is it usual to have 3 episodes for a full season in the UK? This way it just seems like a 3 parts movie.

abbottrabbit

abbottrabbit

Fanatic

Posted May 9, 2012 @ 10:51 AM

Is it usual to have 3 episodes for a full season in the UK? This way it just seems like a 3 parts movie.

Six episodes per season is pretty usual for a drama, in my experience -- which is mostly BBC America/PBS based.

crowsworks

crowsworks

Fanatic

Posted May 9, 2012 @ 12:18 PM

I like this about BBC. So many times American shows are 3 or 4 hours of good content in a 26 hour season + filler.

But I wish shows would all start with an end game in mind. A lot of times I'll avoid a series on the suspicion that I'll be left hanging. Ex. The X-files - I didn't watch till the end of the first season when I was pretty sure it would last. Because it looked like something I'd like.

McBrien76

McBrien76

Couch Potato

Posted Sep 24, 2012 @ 9:23 AM

ITV1 Renews ‘Whitechapel’ For Fourth Season of 6 episodes, which is set to air in 2013.