Whitechapel: Jack the Ripper 2.0

• Please log in to reply

147 replies to this topic

maraleia

maraleia

Fanatic

Posted Nov 4, 2011 @ 10:01 AM

Discuss all things Whitechapel which began its run on BBC America a few weeks ago. I am enjoying Rupert Penry-Jones in this role. So much different that his turn as Adam Carter on MI-5.

What does everyone else think?

I wish there were more women on the show but that is my only quibble so far.

ILNative

ILNative

Couch Potato

Posted Nov 4, 2011 @ 10:57 AM

I'm watching it! I stopped watching MI-5 when my Imaginary Boyfriend Matthew Macfadyen left, so I didn't know who Rupert Penry-Jones was. He's a tall drink o'water, isn't he? The mystery is pretty good, and the supporting cast of characters is great. I'm sorry to see it end next week.

Princess Aldrea

Princess Aldrea

Stalker

Posted Nov 4, 2011 @ 11:00 AM

I like this show especially since I just watched an in-depth Ripper history thing so all of it's fresh in my mind. I do have to admit that I don't really understand why everyone's so hostile to and trying to drive out the new guy in charge. It's like they don't like him because they expect him to do nothing and then get annoyed when he actually does stuff.

SparksFan59

SparksFan59

Fanatic

Posted Nov 4, 2011 @ 11:48 AM

I've seen the first 2 episodes and I quite like it thus far. I've loved Rupert since MI-5, so he was the reason I tuned in to watch. That and the whole Ripper copycat premise.

McBrien76

McBrien76

Couch Potato

Posted Nov 4, 2011 @ 11:48 AM

I'm watching it! I stopped watching MI-5 when my Imaginary Boyfriend Matthew Macfadyen left, so I didn't know who Rupert Penry-Jones was. He's a tall drink o'water, isn't he? The mystery is pretty good, and the supporting cast of characters is great. I'm sorry to see it end next week.

Rupert Penry-Jones is the son of Angela Thorne best known for playing Marjorie Frobisher in To The Manor Born http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0861354/ and the late Peter Penry-Jones : http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0672302/. Since 2007, Rupert has been married to the Irish actress, Dervla Kirwan http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0457062/ with whom he has two children.

Rupert has also appeared on PBS Masterpiece Theatre and Mystery! in Agatha Christie's Poirot:Sad Cypress (2003), Casanova (2005) and The 39 Steps (2008). Full Resume: http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0672303/

There's a follow up to Whitechapel featuring the same characters on the pursuit of a duo who seem to be re-enacting the crimes of the notorious Kray twins. Meanwhile, filming began back in June on a third series due to air in Britain next year.

Edited by McBrien76, Nov 4, 2011 @ 11:54 AM.

attica finch

attica finch

Stalker

Posted Nov 4, 2011 @ 1:21 PM

He's a tall drink o'water, isn't he?

I think he's 6'2"ish, which doesn't strike me as tall tall. What does strike me is how wee Phil Davis is standing next to him! imdb says Davis is 5'6", but that strikes me as maybe...aspirational.

ILNative

ILNative

Couch Potato

Posted Nov 4, 2011 @ 1:44 PM

Oh, there's NO WAY he's 5'6". He's barely armpit-high on RPJ! I'd say more like 5'4". Maybe. In lifts.

pyralis

pyralis

Fanatic

Posted Nov 4, 2011 @ 10:30 PM

I caught this back in January on TVO (Ontario Canada public station) and enjoyed it. And was impressed with RPJ since I hadn't cared for him at all in Persuasion and only liked him a little better in The 39 Steps. I'm glad to know there's a new set done and another on the way. I'll have to start haunting the TVO site.

Deanie87

Deanie87

Fanatic

Posted Nov 7, 2011 @ 9:24 AM

I just watched the first two episodes of this and I loved it! I am very interested in Victorian England and all of the Ripper stories and theories, so this was right up my alley. I could have done without all of the gory intercuts between scenes, however. I felt like I was watching American Horror Story or, god help it, Ghost Adventures.

I loved the Ripperologist and I went on a Ripper Tour when I was in London years ago and it was the best touristy thing I have ever done. Very, very creepy and also really informative about London throughout history.

Until I found this forum, I didn't realize that there were only 3 episodes. Is that right? Is it more of a mini-series or how does that work? I realize that with a finite number of murders by the Ripper they can't go on forever, but it seems like a lot of effort and money to make a 3 episode series.

I wonder if the New Ripper is going to end up being someone we know. I hope not.

silent

silent

Couch Potato

Posted Nov 7, 2011 @ 10:02 AM

Until I found this forum, I didn't realize that there were only 3 episodes. Is that right?

Yes, season one lasts only 3 episodes - ditto season two. But season three will feature 6 episodes, divided into 3 story-lines (two episodes each).

maraleia

maraleia

Fanatic

Posted Nov 7, 2011 @ 11:06 AM

Is there any way to change the topic title? I want to add....and other copycat killer cases.

Also, we will be getting the first six episodes of the series on BBC America back to back and then we will have to wait for the others just like the Brits.

Seshat23

Seshat23

Loyal Viewer

Posted Nov 7, 2011 @ 4:17 PM

I'm not sure, but I think only the mods/admins can change thread titles.

I just saw the second episode, and I've enjoyed the series so far. Looking forward to Wednesday.

I wonder if the New Ripper is going to end up being someone we know. I hope not.

I also hope it's not someone we know. It seems like they way the story is set up, the killer doesn't have to be a known entity. Unlike normal murder mysteries, which seem like they cheat the audience when the killer isn't introduced until the last act, it makes more sense with serial killer murder mysteries for the killer to be someone unknown. The one thing that I thought might point to an inside connection is the killer identifying Miles as his adversary.

fortesmtng

fortesmtng

Couch Potato

Posted Nov 7, 2011 @ 6:49 PM

I do have to admit that I don't really understand why everyone's so hostile to and trying to drive out the new guy in charge. It's like they don't like him because they expect him to do nothing and then get annoyed when he actually does stuff.

I think it has to do in large part with the class system in England. The detectives / officers are commoners who don't like the upper class coming in and telling them how to do their jobs. Also, similar to a typical work environment, the people who actually do the job are not always appreciative of someone they don't view as experienced coming in and changing things (IMO.) At least, that was my take on the situation.

I just discovered Phil Davis when I first watched Sherlock and I am very much a fan. He is such a good actor, although I agree that the scenes of him walking beside the lead are distinctive because of the height difference. But as a person of less than average height myself, I say Vive le Differance!

Glass Ocean

Glass Ocean

Fanatic

Posted Nov 9, 2011 @ 7:22 PM

I've come in on episode two and am a bit lost. That being said, what I see are a lot of contrivances and a sense of un-reality, like they really hurried everything up to fit it all in.

How did they find the leaker -- just because he voluntarily bought beer? Why did all the police abandon their posts to follow the mob scene with the writer? Why did the DI have to be the one to have a mini car chase after the soldier in the press-filled car? Too many conicidences for my taste. YMMV

Princess Aldrea

Princess Aldrea

Stalker

Posted Nov 9, 2011 @ 10:32 PM

How did they find the leaker -- just because he voluntarily bought beer?

No, Miles had accused someone else first (and Miles himself had been accused). The real culprit just happened to confess when Miles accused him.

cyberducks

cyberducks

Fanatic

Posted Nov 9, 2011 @ 11:45 PM

I watched Whitechapel when it first aired in the UK and liked it a lot. The second case about the Kray brothers is rather good too.

Rewatching on BBCA it doesn't seem to me that a lot was edited out. Or maybe my memory is just lousy.

I am glad that they are making more episodes and that the episode order has been increased.

Willowsmom

Willowsmom

Couch Potato

Posted Nov 10, 2011 @ 2:02 AM

I hate to ask but who was the killer? I missed it.

Catgirl14

Catgirl14

Couch Potato

Posted Nov 10, 2011 @ 2:26 AM

I really liked the show, and that's pretty amazing considering I don't like slasher stuff, and definitely tend to avoid the gore element, but it was so well acted. I know I'm going to be watching the second series. For the same reason, I'm a fan of Luther.

I thought the developed relationship between Joe and the cops of Whitechapel, was well done. The whole class distinction thing, and I knew the higher ups were going to abandon Joe for actually doing police work, instead of just giving orders. I'll have to watch all three episodes on demand back to back.

attica finch

attica finch

Stalker

Posted Nov 11, 2011 @ 11:20 AM

I hate to ask but who was the killer?

The doctor, Dr. David Cohen. Or a guy posing as said doctor. Anyway, they'd all met him at the hospital in the process of the investigation.

I totally want to take a Ripper tour now.

I'm pleased BBCA is showing the second series without delay. I was expecting to have to wait.

McBrien76

McBrien76

Couch Potato

Posted Nov 11, 2011 @ 12:43 PM

I'm pleased BBCA is showing the second series without delay. I was expecting to have to wait.

That said, the first season was originally broadcast on ITV1 back in February 2009, whilst the second season was shown in October 2010, so they've taken a while to cross the Atlantic.

Princess Aldrea

Princess Aldrea

Stalker

Posted Nov 11, 2011 @ 1:39 PM

I just wish Chandler choosing to stay was more about him choosing to stay than being forced to. Maybe in the next series he'll have an opportunity to leave after he's "redeemed" through his catching the next killer and he turns it down.

And Kent was absolutely adorable. It made me sad when Miles said he goes off to car parks to cry because of the job.

Rational Plan

Rational Plan

Loyal Viewer

Posted Nov 11, 2011 @ 1:56 PM

I think it has to do in large part with the class system in England. The detectives / officers are commoners who don't like the upper class coming in and telling them how to do their jobs. Also, similar to a typical work environment, the people who actually do the job are not always appreciative of someone they don't view as experienced coming in and changing things (IMO.) At least, that was my take on the situation.

Sort of, I think it is a modern take than that, if you work in any large organisation you will often come up against the 'fast stream' as it's called in the UK, where your company recruits drops in top graduates in junior management roles and bounces them up the grades, unlike the ordinary drudges who battle their way up a few grades. Plus with the police it follows a quasi military structure of the ranks and the officer class. This basically leads to you to the situation of experienced staff being told what to do by a wet behind the ears Rupert who can't even log onto his machine or knows how the companies account procedures (ahem, not that I know the feeling or anything).

proserpina65

proserpina65

Fanatic

Posted Nov 11, 2011 @ 2:02 PM

And was impressed with RPJ since I hadn't cared for him at all in Persuasion and only liked him a little better in The 39 Steps.

He was completely mis-cast in Persuasion, but I thought he was quite good in The 39 Steps, really showed the evolution of the character. And yes, very impressive here.

I do have to admit that I don't really understand why everyone's so hostile to and trying to drive out the new guy in charge. It's like they don't like him because they expect him to do nothing and then get annoyed when he actually does stuff.

I got the impression it was because he hadn't come up through the ranks, so to speak, and they viewed him as an upperclass pencil pusher.

abbottrabbit

abbottrabbit

Fanatic

Posted Nov 13, 2011 @ 9:32 AM

Rewatching on BBCA it doesn't seem to me that a lot was edited out. Or maybe my memory is just lousy

So I'd been watching the aired versions from my DVR and finished episode 3 on Friday night, and then yesterday I watched the full series again from the On-Demand versions (because I LOVED the third episode, and wanted to watch it again in full knowing that we'd actually seen the Ripper in his David Cohen persona fairly early in the first episode).

There is at least one -- usually minor -- scene in each episode that's in the On-Demand version that wasn't shown on BBCA.

In episode 1, it's Chandler arranging things in the bathroom and rehearsing how he's going to go in and tell the team that the victim's partner is no longer a suspect. It ends with him about to leave, and he catches a glimpse of a sharpied beard and glasses drawn on the mirror. He moves around a bit until it lines up exactly with his face. (not a huge scene, clearly, but it fits with his early realization that the new ripper is wearing disguises, and mirrors the scene in episode 3 where we see "Cohen" taking his beard and eyebrows off in the midwife's bathroom).

In the second, there's a long scene of the Ripperologist (Buchan? Buchat? I never quite got his name) lecturing the team. I can't remember if it wasn't in the BBCA version of the episode at all or if it was greatly abbreviated; the On-Demand version goes on for quite awhile. He says some things that get repeated or reflected by other members of the team at various points in the investigation.

In the third, there's a longish montage of news clips about the new murders that leads up to the scene where Miles takes Chandler out to get something to eat and talks about how all of them cope. It does a nice job of both showing how much pressure the team is under, and of demonstrating the amount of time that's passing between the late September Mary Busfield murder in Mitre Square, and the 9 November attempt at the apartment.

There were also a few scenes where I thought it was a cut scene I hadn't seen before, but then I recognized dialogue later in the end -- like the episode where the Commander tells Chandler that if another woman turns up dead, they never had this conversation seemed a bit longer than I remembered it being.

Anyway. I'm pretty hung up on this show (clearly), and very excited for the second series to start this week.

Edited by abbottrabbit, Nov 13, 2011 @ 9:55 AM.

choochi

choochi

Fanatic

Posted Nov 13, 2011 @ 7:44 PM

I was expecting it to be the Commander and was a little disappointed when it was your garden variety psycho rather than someone covering things up from on high. I formed my theory after the scene when someone asks why the chief medical examiner was signing off on things and that what he/she signed involved contaminated DNA from the victim's eyeballs.

If nothing else, the Commander's close-up meat cutting scene right after RPJ was discussing Mary's injuries made me want to become a vegan.

cyberducks

cyberducks

Fanatic

Posted Nov 13, 2011 @ 8:32 PM

I think it's a class thing. RPJ's character is "posh" and the others are from working class backgrounds. But they did come around once they got to know him a bit better and he had proven himself with them.

Princess Aldrea

Princess Aldrea

Stalker

Posted Nov 13, 2011 @ 10:44 PM

I'm kind of annoyed with myself for not realizing that the ripper was hte doctor while watching the show. Chandler got so excited because David Cohen used to be a Jewish John Doe (Why was it necessary to have a special Jewish one? Did other groups have their own?) but I had no idea who that was. I mean, I knew he was A doctor because the nurse called him doctor but I didn't place him as someone we'd seen before.

Deanie87

Deanie87

Fanatic

Posted Nov 14, 2011 @ 4:15 PM

I just watched the third episode and I am a little confused. Is the New Ripper still at large? And they are just not worried about him because the last victim was the parallel to the last known Original Ripper victim? If that is the case, then they are putting a lot of hope on the logic of a psycho.

Also, in the upcoming episode, the focus switches to a new killer (the Krays). Does anyone know if all of the future episodes will revolve around copycat crimes? How many famous murders took place in Whitechapel? I will have to google that one.

Sorry for all the questions, but all of this seems kind of odd to me. I couldn't find a whole lot of information on their website and I have loved the series thus far (and am very intrigued by the historic elements of the show). I watch BBC America a lot and watch a lot of British shows but the short duration of this series and the way they are marketing it is all new to me.

Princess Aldrea

Princess Aldrea

Stalker

Posted Nov 14, 2011 @ 4:21 PM

I just watched the third episode and I am a little confused. Is the New Ripper still at large? And they are just not worried about him because the last victim was the parallel to the last known Original Ripper victim? If that is the case, then they are putting a lot of hope on the logic of a psycho.

They had no real way of catching him but Chandler said not to worry because that would be his last victim and he'd kill himself soon so that he could fade into myth. You're right that that is a pretty big hope but we saw the Ripper dead at the bottle of a body of water so I guess he was right.

Deanie87

Deanie87

Fanatic

Posted Nov 14, 2011 @ 4:24 PM

we saw the Ripper dead at the bottle of a body of water so I guess he was right.

We did? I guess I wasn't paying as close attention as I thought. Was this the very last body or was it in a scene before Chandler and the Ripperologist was in the graveyard?