Rock Center with Brian Williams

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.

82 replies to this topic

MedicineCrow

MedicineCrow

Fanatic

Posted May 11, 2013 @ 10:18 AM

Just have to go on record about Jimmy Connors writing about Chris Evert's personal business, FORTY YEARS AFTER THE FACT.  I'm sure most women outed in this way would be outraged.  What an asshole!!!

Rock Center with Brian Williams is my favourite information show. Sorry to see it is being cancelled. NBC is famous for letting crappy shows go on & on, but cancelling really good shows. I feel bad for Brian.

stonehaven

stonehaven

Couch Potato

Posted May 11, 2013 @ 1:18 PM

My problem is that it fell into the category of "Oh yeah..that's on isn't it?".

I do think NBC should have kept it going through the summer just to offer something different than endless Dateline murder stories but oh well, it's why they are on 4th place.

shabbieshok

shabbieshok

Couch Potato

Posted May 11, 2013 @ 7:22 PM

Just have to go on record about Jimmy Connors writing about Chris Evert's personal business, FORTY YEARS AFTER THE FACT.  I'm sure most women outed in this way would be outraged.  What an asshole!!!

Well, it was Jimmy's business too and from the excerpts I have read, he was excluded from the discussion. They were engaged after all and it should have been something they decided together, or at the very least, talked about. Chris has said some pretty harsh things about Jimmy through the years and she was far from some angelic wee waif.  I'm as big a feminist as anyone but I'm a little surprised by the outrage this has generated. Fathers deserve some rights too.

bigredcat7

bigredcat7

Fanatic

Posted May 11, 2013 @ 7:45 PM

I'm having trouble summoning up any outrage for either of them at this point. Connors was an obvious dick about this and should have at least told her about what he wrote prior to publication, but it's difficult feeling sorry for Evert, who cheated on each of her first two husbands with the second and third.

Cgr

Cgr

Fanatic

Posted May 14, 2013 @ 5:55 AM

So does anyone know when the last show will be?  I will be out of town a couple weeks and will record them if it is soon.

planetoid

planetoid

Loyal Viewer

Posted May 15, 2013 @ 6:02 AM

Interesting, informative show with an intelligent, charismatic host. No room for that on network television.

Oh, balls. I suppose CBS Sunday Morning will be next and then I'll have zero news digest shows to watch.

Honestly, how expensive can this be to produce?

Edited by planetoid, May 15, 2013 @ 6:07 AM.

MedicineCrow

MedicineCrow

Fanatic

Posted May 19, 2013 @ 10:58 AM

The NBC programming "suits" are a bunch of idiots!!!  They didn't give this show a fair chance to take root & now are cancelling it because the numbers, they caused, are down!!  I love the way Brian Williams does a show & would watch anything he hosts.  I'm sure there are a lot of people who feel the same, but ........    (I'm so pissed!!!)

Edited by MedicineCrow, May 19, 2013 @ 10:59 AM.

PhPhan

PhPhan

Fanatic

Posted May 19, 2013 @ 11:25 AM

It might have been fortunate that they couldn't fit the interview with Zach Galifianakis in last week.   The first two stories pretty much had me in tears.  They needed something lighter after that.  

walnutqueen

walnutqueen

Fanatic

• Interests:eclectic

Posted May 19, 2013 @ 12:57 PM

MedicineCrow - I'm with you.  Brian Williams has just the right touch, and the NBC suits are fucking morons.  I don't watch news programs other than those on PBS and the occasional foray into CNN International (Stewart & Colbert are my news barometers!), but this show was my Friday night delight.

MedicineCrow

MedicineCrow

Fanatic

Posted May 25, 2013 @ 10:42 AM

Another interesting & informative show last night.  Why, oh why, do the suits have to cancel a perfectly good show??!!

valdawn

valdawn

Couch Potato

Posted May 25, 2013 @ 3:41 PM

I know, It really makes me mad.

nubbs

nubbs

Couch Potato

Posted Jun 6, 2013 @ 6:45 PM

This is the first new show in a long time that I actually made a point of watching.  I liked the format..2-3 brief segments on 'real news', followed by the humorous bit at the end.  The segment on the discount airline uniforms was very funny.  And Brian WIlliams does a fine job.

I really hope they give this show a new lease on life.

MedicineCrow

MedicineCrow

Fanatic

Posted Jun 9, 2013 @ 11:39 AM

I don't particularly care for Nancy Snyderman, but usually find her input interesting.  More interesting than her piece(s) on Friday was the length of her bangs.  She looked like a sheep dog with her bangs hanging in her eyes behind her glasses.  Hilarious!!!

mumbles

mumbles

Fanatic

Posted Jun 21, 2013 @ 1:31 PM

So on tonight's Rock Center, Chelsea Clinton interviews Stella McCartney about having famous parents. I couldn't make that up.

I may end up smirk-watching this just to see if either of them have any self-awareness.

PhPhan

PhPhan

Fanatic

Posted Jun 21, 2013 @ 2:38 PM

Did Chelsea Clinton have any journalism experience before she leap-frogged over to NBC news?  

mumbles

mumbles

Fanatic

Posted Jun 21, 2013 @ 2:42 PM

PhPhan - no. She's sort of flitted around professionally - consulting, doing something at a hedge fund, collecting various academic degrees. But hey, she has an $11 million apartment which I'm sure she totally deserves.

She once refused to talk to grade schoolers for their school paper in New Hampshire when she was campaigning for her mother. She claimed she had a "no press" rule. I guess she dropped that rule.

Brian C

Brian C

Fanatic

Posted Jun 22, 2013 @ 3:47 AM

I, too, don't understand what the point was of canceling this show before the Fall. I get canceling it for the Fall, as come on, like the show or not, a Brian Williams vanity news magazine was always going to be a tough sell in Prime Time (CBS Sunday Morning is amazing but it is, you know, airing on Sunday mornings), so we should be happy we got as many episodes as we got. But really, NBC, you couldn't keep it going through the Summer? Very odd decision. 

Anyhow, it was another strong episode. I'll miss it!

Cgr

Cgr

Fanatic

Posted Jun 22, 2013 @ 11:36 AM

This is the only news show I have set to automatically tape every week.  I was sad to delete it.  I didn't watch the Boston part but did watch the rest of the show.  Sad to see it go.  

And I suppose it was cancelled now so everyone can have a nice summer vacation.

jalapeno

jalapeno

Couch Potato

Posted Jun 22, 2013 @ 4:49 PM

This is the only news show I have set to automatically tape every week.

I'm the same way. Back in the day, Dateline and 20/20 used to be similar with interesting stories. But now are crime stories and "what would you do?" segments. I'm really going to miss Rock Center. Well, all of it except for that awful Dr. Nancy Snyderman. She can't get off my tv screen fast enough.

BlueSapphires

BlueSapphires

Fanatic

Posted Jun 23, 2013 @ 12:26 PM

I like Stella McCartney. And sadly, Chelsea is so baddd at this job that I was expecting Stella to just give up and start interviewing HER!

I don't fsult/dislike anyone for being born into wealth and privilege. I think Stella has more than proven herself. Chelsea? Not at all. And to hear Brian Williams obnoxiously talk about how Chelsea knows the subject well? Shut up, Brian.

PhPhan

PhPhan

Fanatic

Posted Jun 23, 2013 @ 1:01 PM

I think Brian knows that Chelsea is privileged and not deserving of her spot on the show.  He's just reading what's on the TelePrompTer.  

That guy they had on - defending Good Will - was just a creepy looking douchebag.    

rubyred

rubyred

Couch Potato

Posted Jun 23, 2013 @ 7:15 PM

That guy they had on - defending Good Will - was just a creepy looking douchebag.    

That Goodwill story pissed me off so much. And to have that corporate toady "justify" paying someone .22 cents an hour because WTH? "That's what the market will bear" or somesuch asinine rationalization. I just loathe that non-informational corporatespeak. He basically didn't answer any questions directly, and of course Goodwill brings him out because he's blind too, he feels their pain, y'all! Hey, if they had the gumption they'd be corporate shills making 6 figures too. I wonder if they make him do stopwatch tests. So condescending, to take advantage of a loophole and dress  it up as some higher noble purpose of giving the disabled the honor of working, and that's the greatest reward of all! How generous of them! /rant

Edited by rubyred, Jun 23, 2013 @ 7:19 PM.

mansonlamps

mansonlamps

Couch Potato

Posted Jun 23, 2013 @ 8:58 PM

I can't believe how much I hated this show when I tuned in with every intention of enjoying it.