Rock Center with Brian Williams

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.

82 replies to this topic

prairiegal

prairiegal

Fanatic

Posted May 7, 2012 @ 9:49 PM

I went back and watched again-I appreciated the President's remarks about his reaction to seeing Bin Laden's body, that it was a dead body and he didn't want to do a "high-five" moment. I also liked Hilary's comment about feeling a sense of satisfaction. So no one was gloating, but they knew that justice had been done.

MedicineCrow

MedicineCrow

Fanatic

Posted Oct 26, 2012 @ 11:41 AM

I thought the two women talking about Lance Armstrong sounded very credible.

Edited to add:
Harry Smith reveals that his team reached out to Armstrong’s people; they said that they’ve already proven that both women have lied. In closing, Harry Smith blushed when he said the media must take responsibility for choosing to ignore the two women’s claims in the past. However, it’s not too late to find them, especially with the knowledge that they paid an extraordinary price for electing to reveal the truth.

Edited by MedicineCrow, Oct 26, 2012 @ 11:42 AM.

Milburn Stone

Milburn Stone

Fanatic

Posted Oct 26, 2012 @ 2:22 PM

Perhaps I missed something, but why did Harry Smith take it on as such a personal burden that he had glorified Lance Armstrong? Is there some widely-shared understanding that we owe all our previous hero-worship of Lance Armstrong to Harry Smith? What the hell does Harry Smith have to "atone" for more than anyone else? It seemed like perverse glorification of Harry Smith himself--the journalist who single-handedly sold us the myth of Lance Armstrong. (Unless, like I say, he really did, but I doubt that.)

Ohwell

Ohwell

Fanatic

Posted Oct 26, 2012 @ 5:02 PM

I, too, was confused about the Harry Smith connection with Lance Armstrong. In all the years I've heard about Lance Armstrong and doping allegations, I've never heard Harry Smith's name come up.

Milburn Stone

Milburn Stone

Fanatic

Posted Oct 26, 2012 @ 5:39 PM

Wouldn't it have been great if Brian Williams looked at him and said, "WTF did you have to do with any of this?"

PhPhan

PhPhan

Fanatic

Posted Oct 26, 2012 @ 5:42 PM

I found the one woman to be very judgmental. It made me wonder if her only reason for ratting out Armstrong was that she feels it is her duty to rat people out.

To tell you the truth, I'm not sure why either woman gave a crap about what Lance was doing. They both should have kept their mouths shut and gone on with their lives.

Major Misfit

Major Misfit

Fanatic

Posted Nov 2, 2012 @ 6:49 AM

Maybe I missed something on last night's show, but the man-on-the-street interview with Alec Baldwin baffled me. So, he was all proud of volunteering to help his powerless New York neighbors by...[i]moving into a hotel because it was too hard to walk his dogs up and down a certain amount of stairs? And I couldn't get over his new wife Hilaria gazing at him as if he were Plato delivering a sermon. And then she spoke. Seems like a major idiot.

Edited by Major Misfit, Nov 2, 2012 @ 6:50 AM.

royvac

royvac

Couch Potato

Posted Nov 2, 2012 @ 6:15 PM

I had no problem with Alec Baldwin moving into a hotel during the storm,I'm sure everyone who could, did. The fact that he came back to his neighbourhood to volunteer is commendable. It would have been more commendable however without the camera and his (seemingly) idiotic immature wife.

Edited by royvac, Nov 2, 2012 @ 6:16 PM.

LADreamr

LADreamr

Fanatic

Posted Nov 3, 2012 @ 12:28 AM

Glad to see the consensus on his wife. I thought it was just me.

More glad, though, to see them give some attention to Cory Booker. I've been watching his tweets since it happened, and I don't think he has slept. He has been on top of everything in that city, many times personally delivering supplies. When he can't do it, he has a team who can, and he's getting everything from baby supplies to medication to people. It's been amazing to watch, but I can't imagine how drained he must be. I'm just happy these poor people in Newark have him looking out for them.

clare 32

clare 32

Couch Potato

Posted Nov 3, 2012 @ 2:14 PM

I was impressed with Cory Booker too. He is and what every mayor should be. I remembered how chaotic New Orleans was with that idiotic mayor they had there. Always blaming everybody and everyone instead of doing what Booker did so effortlessly.

Ohwell

Ohwell

Fanatic

Posted Nov 3, 2012 @ 5:11 PM

Count me in as also impressed with Cory Booker. Maybe some of the other mayors in NJ should take a page out his book and hustle more, like that mayor from Hoboken. Taking into account that she was tired and I understand that, the interviews I've seen her in gave me the impression that she was not the sharpest knife in the drawer.

Major Misfit

Major Misfit

Fanatic

Posted Nov 5, 2012 @ 5:46 AM

I had no problem with Alec Baldwin moving into a hotel during the storm,I'm sure everyone who could, did. The fact that he came back to his neighbourhood to volunteer is commendable.

Oh, hey, I had no issue with him moving into a hotel -- what I had issue with was they never mentioned what he was volunteering to do. Neither he nor Brian Williams ever said. Was he volunteering to walk his dogs around his neighborhood like the cameras showed? Was he volunteering to stand outside on the corner while his stupid (but attractive) wife stared blankly at his face? Maybe I'll just pretend he volunteered to entertain his neighbors by giving a monologue from Glengarry Glen Ross. 'Cause I know that would have made me deliriously happy if I were without power.

Cgr

Cgr

Fanatic

Posted Jan 18, 2013 @ 4:01 PM

I really enjoyed the expose' on Scientology this week. Even if it was a huge ad for the book just out.
And I especially appreciated they didn't spend lots of time on Lance(the cheater) Armstrong.
Chelsea Clinton's piece on the couple in Africa with the girls school was inspiring.

I like this program. Hope they keep it up. I have always like Harry Smith, and liked Brian Williams since his big giant head days on the Daily Show.

mumbles

mumbles

Fanatic

Posted Apr 7, 2013 @ 5:34 PM

Just caught the Cate Edwards piece on "30 Rock." The most disconcerting part of the interview was Savannah Guthrie's weird grin as she was asking about Elizabeth Edwards' deathbed. Savannah really is an awkward interviewer.

I have no idea what the rationale for this piece was - no book, no special project, etc. Sounds like someone at NBC had a weird, morbid curiosity about Cate Edwards.

The cynic in me wonders if Ms. Edwards would be so forgiving of her father if it weren't for the multimillions he earned as a plaintiffs' lawyer, from which she herself has benefited nicely.

Kali12

Kali12

Fanatic

Posted Apr 7, 2013 @ 7:56 PM

If Guthrie's asking awkward questions, I wish she'd pointed out how Edwards' financed his girlfriend's proximity to him on the campaign by using the contributions sent from small donors, people all over the country who could ill afford it but believed that Edwards meant it when he said he was a champion of the working class and the poor.

I'd like to see his supporters, including Cate, be asked about his deceit and hypocrisy (and selfish willingness to put the nation at risk of facing an impeachment--again--all to further his own personal ambition).

Dislike him? Oh, yes. But for the hypocrisy and lies, not the affairs.

MedicineCrow

MedicineCrow

Fanatic

Posted Apr 13, 2013 @ 12:24 PM

Just popped in to say, like almost always, I really enjoyed the show last night. The piece about Gabby & Laird was excellent & I admire the choices she made!!!

I don't know how Brian Williams & his staff manage to make their show so interesting, even if you're not interested in the topic, you sure get into the story. Of course throwing in dogs, cats, animals & kids doesn't hurt. LOL.

walnutqueen

walnutqueen

Fanatic

• Interests:eclectic

Posted Apr 13, 2013 @ 3:17 PM

The piece about Gabby & Laird was excellent & I admire the choices she made!!!

While admiration for her choices was my logical reaction, viscerally I reverted to my childhood with a brilliant & charismatic stepdad who got exactly what Laird has: meals, laundry, children raised & sex (except Mum says more like 6-12, rather than 48 hours) and we got relative peace, except NOT, 'cause he was still a "volatile" asshole who tortured us daily with his demands and ruined us both for life. I always thought highly of Laird - now I'm wondering how long it will take before Gabby is relegated to what me, my Mum, and a lot of other women in the 50's/ 60's were: slaves to a man simply for a little peace in the home. I'm happy it is working for her, but it didn't do much for the women I grew up with, who either died unfulfilled or rebelled. To each her own.

MedicineCrow

MedicineCrow

Fanatic

Posted Apr 13, 2013 @ 3:44 PM

Yes, walnutqueen, I've seen that & I know exactly "where you're coming from", but not every man is an asshole & in my opinion, most appreciate the efforts made & contribute their fair share. JMHO. Although, I'm not really sure if Laird is that benevolent in the "Happy wife, happy life" sense.

walnutqueen

walnutqueen

Fanatic

Posted Apr 13, 2013 @ 5:26 PM

Yes, MedicineCrow, I know "good guys" exist - I've even met a couple! Just in this case, Gabby did not articulate what Laird was giving her (other than "peace"), so I was wondering about HER needs. My own trauma was much more severe than I'd ever admit on a public forum, and the talk about Laird's "mercurial moods' just set off a PTSD reaction, not to mention a regression to a time when this is what most women just DID. Fucking & feeding isn't exactly a novel concept (Kinda like how "Shades of Grey" is just a recycled "Story of O"). Whatever works in a relationship is fine by me if nobody is hurt. That said, kids see & hear EVERYTHING, and their brains are mapped early on by the most innocuous (to adults) situations; so what is she inadvertently teaching them? Time will tell, I suppose; I hope they don't have to work through years of resentment towards their Mom the way I had to, if Laird is a closet monster of rage or something.

Chutney

Chutney

Video Archivist

Posted Apr 14, 2013 @ 3:53 PM

The Gabby & Laird story made me feel very uneasy. What you said, walnutqueen, about the mercurial moods mentioned really raised a flag for me, too. Gabby had to warn her friends when he was in a mood? Once in a while is not a big deal (says an occasionally crabby person here), but to the point where it earns a nick name? I'd love to hear what her friends *really* think about him. I also got the sense that sex is more of a marital obligation than was admitted to. Possibly even something that is insisted upon. Also, when Gabby said that after she filed for divorced she groveled for Laird back. And he sat there, stone-faced, listening to her admit this on national TV without a flicker of emotion. I just cringed. I was embarrassed and sad for her. Finally, I really felt that Gabby looked miserable and unhappy. So I'm not convinced her marriage style is working for her. And the most troublesome part is that she has daughters. She is teaching these lessons to those girls. :(

walnutqueen

walnutqueen

Fanatic

Posted Apr 14, 2013 @ 4:10 PM

Chutney - that admission of groveling and Laird's cold demeanor set off more alarm bells for me. Also, when Gabby was telling women that a man doesn't care if she's overweight or has cellulite, he just wants her "naked & smiling" ... THIS is what her daughters are learning??? I had hoped my personal experiences had biased my opinion, but if other viewers saw red flags, too, I'm pretty sure there's something to it.

Chutney

Chutney

Video Archivist

Posted Apr 14, 2013 @ 7:47 PM

Walnutqueen - exactly. The relationship is off and it's not just your perception! Although it is not for me, the traditional marriage with traditional gender roles is not dysfunctional or bad. The version of it that Gabby and Laird have is.

chickieloveknit

chickieloveknit

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 15, 2013 @ 7:40 AM

I was embarrassed and sad for her. Finally, I really felt that Gabby looked miserable and unhappy. So I'm not convinced her marriage style is working for her. And the most troublesome part is that she has daughters. She is teaching these lessons to those girls. :(

Completely agree. Here she is proposing a lifestyle that is supposed to be working so well, all while looking absolutely miserable. I find it hard to believe that a woman like Gabby, highly successful as an athlete and model, is now thrilled to label herself "submissive" to her husband. She doesn't seem very fulfilled. Frankly, I was pretty disgusted by the whole thing. In a world where we have pieces like this and where Michelle Duggar is held in such high regard as an example of womanhood and motherhood, where are headed? Backwards by 60+ years?

Even beyond the "yuck" factor of the topic, I found Gabby pretty hard to tolerate all around. She seemed highly ungrateful on many levels. The interviewer had to call her out about the beautiful surroundings that she lives in and the fact that she was a former model (when grunting about appearance concerns). Is life really that hard, Gabby? Boo-hoo. Can you maybe work on trying to crack a smile while you're at it?

And if this lifestyle of "service" to your family works so well, is this what Gabby aspires her daughters to? No chasing after their lofty goals as she herself did?

Laird looked like a surfy caveman to me. Gross. The whole thing left a bad taste in my mouth.

Cgr

Cgr

Fanatic

Posted Apr 15, 2013 @ 9:23 AM

I guess I am glad I din't watch that segment.

PhPhan

PhPhan

Fanatic

Posted May 10, 2013 @ 6:02 PM

I enjoyed the show while it lasted.  I will miss the Rock Bottom segment.  It was a nice wrap up of the week's mostly unnoticed news.

http://nymag.com/dai...s-canceled.html

valdawn

valdawn

Couch Potato

Posted May 10, 2013 @ 7:07 PM

I just saw this too, I am gonna miss this show.

prairiegal

prairiegal

Fanatic

Posted May 10, 2013 @ 9:12 PM

Crap. But I'm not surprised. Interesting, informative show with an intelligent, charismatic host.

No room for that on network television.

Liked the description of BW as the dad that everyone has a crush on.

Cgr

Cgr

Fanatic

Posted May 11, 2013 @ 6:41 AM

I too enjoyed this show.  It is the only non pbs news show I tape regularly.  60 minutes being a close second.  I like BW and I have had a huge crush on Harry for years, since his CBS morning duties with Paula Zahn.  (what happened to her?)  I would like to see those 2 back together.  They had good chemistry.  

NPR did a piece on NBC shooting itself in the foot.  Just another example IMHO

Edited by Cgr, May 11, 2013 @ 6:42 AM.

TryingHarder

TryingHarder

Fanatic

Posted May 11, 2013 @ 7:39 AM

Walnutqueen - exactly. The relationship is off and it's not just your perception! Although it is not for me, the traditional marriage with traditional gender roles is not dysfunctional or bad. The version of it that Gabby and Laird have is

I wonder how many times Laird has cheated on her? I got the feeling that he set all the rules and if she didn't follow them, he would look elsewhere. She looked miserable.

walnutqueen

walnutqueen

Fanatic

Posted May 11, 2013 @ 8:00 AM

I too enjoyed this show.  It is the only non pbs news show I tape regularly.

Me too, Cgr.   Looks like NPR got it right - again.

ETA: I hope this means we'll be seeing Brian on The Daily Show again soon.

Edited by walnutqueen, May 11, 2013 @ 8:02 AM.