Welcome to the Robert California

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.

3 replies to this topic

MightyThor

MightyThor

Couch Potato

Posted Oct 29, 2011 @ 10:14 PM

I love Robert California, but isn't he basically Alan Shore transplanted to The Office? And what would you recommend in order to balance California and Scranton better?

LockandLoad

LockandLoad

Channel Surfer

Posted Oct 29, 2011 @ 10:21 PM

Except that the characters are played by the same actor I see very little semblance of Alan Shore in Robert California. Both characters are confident and speak their mind, but for me the similarity ends there.

Frankly they need to give a reasonable backstory for why he is spending so much time in Scranton. The writers also should begin to have some of the employees varying their attitude toward him...except for Dwight all of the others are going around in awe and fear of him. Shake it up! That being said, I love James Spader on the show as Robert California!

Edited by LockandLoad, Oct 29, 2011 @ 10:22 PM.

MightyThor

MightyThor

Couch Potato

Posted Oct 31, 2011 @ 2:52 PM

Really? I see these things in common:

- good knowledge of human nature
- great ability to read people
- good heart (most of the time) which many of the others around them don't notice
- it's hard for many of the people around them to get a "fix" on them.

In the most recent episode thread, someone remarked that R. California should have a different show set around him, in short more of a character-driven dramedy....I thought that sounded rather familiar :)

Yes, I think it would be great to start having more of a variance in reaction to him as characters decide to slot him into categories which they find comfortable (none of which capture him - i.e. they're the blind men and he's the elephant).

I do feel like the show is going to have to go a little further in order to meet California, in order to make a unity. And that would be good - to me, the Office got tired many years ago and so, if it must be on TV, some kind of change is in order. I only started watching this season when I heard Spader would be on :)

LockandLoad

LockandLoad

Channel Surfer

Posted Oct 31, 2011 @ 3:33 PM

All that you have said is true, but Spader attacks these with a different vibe from his character. Never watching Robert California do I think, "oh look it's really Alan Shore at The Office." He is a gifted actor who makes the subtle differences between the two characters so they are different people."