9-X: "Tim Gunn: Behind the Seams of Season 9" 2011.11.03

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.

66 replies to this topic

nicenessness

nicenessness

Stalker

Posted Nov 7, 2011 @ 10:05 AM

Josh was totally a villain. Tim Gunn was just paid a lot to say otherwise.

MissMoneyBags

MissMoneyBags

Fanatic

• Interests:Beauty Contests, Railroads, Real Estate Speculation, Bank Errors, Staying Out Of Jail

Posted Nov 7, 2011 @ 10:28 AM

think what Tim meant by "no villains" is while there was cattiness and some arguing, there wasn't any of the relentless viciousness like there was in last season towards Michael. There were some assholes, but they all seemed to sort it out. Bert and Josh buried the hatchet and while Josh was an ass towards Becky, it seemed to be one particular time and not this endless torture.

Then why not say *that*? "There were some problems but we sorted it out" is a world away from the blanket statement "there were no villains, period." Especially since it was pretty clear to anyone who watched After the Runway that Becky was NOT okay with how Josh treated her both times they were on a team together - she "forgave" him but seemed pretty clearly uncomfortable, like she was just trying to avoid poking the crazy.

To me that line smacked of Lifetime trying to have its cake and eat it too - they wanted the drama of a character like Josh, but don't want to acknowledge the producer manipulations that went into keeping him around as long as they did.

IttyBittyFlavur

IttyBittyFlavur

Fanatic

Posted Nov 7, 2011 @ 12:41 PM

I kind of get the "no villains" thing. For all his antics, Josh was still part of the group lovefest at the end. It wasn't the other finalists giving him the stink-eye, it was the audience. If you're inside the bubble, it looks like everything was lovey-dovey. Contrast with acknowledged villains like Wendy Pepper or Santino, who had other finalists calling them out on their crap.

Neeney

Neeney

Fanatic

Posted Nov 7, 2011 @ 12:53 PM

Maybe they didn't call him out on his crap, because they knew how easily he went off. And he wasn't there for the TG special. So that must mean all wasn't as well as they were trying to make it out to be. JMO, though.

MissMoneyBags

MissMoneyBags

Fanatic

• Interests:Beauty Contests, Railroads, Real Estate Speculation, Bank Errors, Staying Out Of Jail

Posted Nov 7, 2011 @ 1:32 PM

Oh sure, in fact I completely understand wanting to keep it positive and not rehash drama about somebody who's not there. I guess my thinking is, either address what we all saw or don't address it at all. Just saying "no villains, everything was hunky-dory" rings false.

Jon N

Jon N

Fanatic

• Interests:Sleeping<br />Painting (too bad don't have the time)<br />Fashion

Posted Nov 7, 2011 @ 2:16 PM

Thinking back at this season, does anyone else feel that this season was more like high school cliches rather than even an actual show about people? We have:

Mean Girl: Josh
Teacher's pet: Anya
Older kid: Bert
Rich snob: Laura
Nerd: Bryce
Weird kid: Olivier (I had a professor whose name is exactly spelled like that, and he pronounced it Oli-vie-ay, but then he is French)

Glass Ocean

Glass Ocean

Fanatic

Posted Nov 7, 2011 @ 8:12 PM

does anyone else feel that this season was more like high school cliches rather than even an actual show about people?

To that list I would add:

Bullied & Definitely "Not-In": Becky
Token Minority: Kimberly
Smart but Never Makes the Sports Team: Viktor
Popular but Flunking Out: Anthony Ryan
Chubby & Klutzy: Josh C
Girl Jock: Julie
Unicorn Lover: Danielle

Edited by Glass Ocean, Nov 7, 2011 @ 8:23 PM.