9-X: "Tim Gunn: Behind the Seams of Season 9" 2011.11.03

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.

66 replies to this topic

TWoP Nikita

TWoP Nikita

Fanatic

Posted Oct 29, 2011 @ 7:03 PM

From Zap2it:

Tim reveals secrets from the show and his unedited thoughts.

BeanyMalone

BeanyMalone

Fanatic

Posted Nov 3, 2011 @ 9:01 PM

Did I miss why wasn't Josh there?

A nice special. Not as dramatic as past reunions and a little cheap not to have all the designers. but the moment at the end with Tim makes up for it.

Edited by BeanyMalone, Nov 3, 2011 @ 9:02 PM.

cycat

cycat

Couch Potato

Posted Nov 3, 2011 @ 9:10 PM

Apparently all that I need to make me cry is to see Tim Gunn cry. Very nice to see him get that little tribute.

harpua13

harpua13

Channel Surfer

Posted Nov 3, 2011 @ 9:20 PM

My main man Tim was the only reason to watch this horrid, fixed, waste of a season season and he showed why once again tonight. Simply a classy, classy dude.
One thing though. No villains? You guys sure spent a LOT of time and editing effort to convince us Josh and Laura were vicious, hateful people compared to your precious "winner" for SOME reason...

IttyBittyFlavur

IttyBittyFlavur

Fanatic

Posted Nov 3, 2011 @ 9:55 PM

Well, that was quite the lovefest.

jackjill

jackjill

Couch Potato

Posted Nov 3, 2011 @ 10:05 PM

Loved that Tim called the designers out on using glue instead of sewing and sewing models into garments instead of using the proper closures. I hope they do change things next season because it was really out of hand.

carmelized

carmelized

Fanatic

Posted Nov 3, 2011 @ 10:15 PM

I loved this show, mainly because I adore Tim Gunn. He did humanize this season for me, more than I thought possible. I'm not okay with everything that happened, but seeing Anthony Ryan and some of the other interactions with the designers reminded me that even with the flaws of this season, there are still real people behind the scenes, with their hopes and dreams. That's the power of The Gunn, that the season doesn't seem quite so awful, having watched him talk about it.

I was shocked at how good the decoy collections were. The absence of Josh was a big plus for me. I laughed a lot of times, and I really got a kick out of the Tim Gunn Awards. Seeing Tim get choked up with his well-deserved award was the highlight of the night, I got all teary-eyed when he did.

The only thing I didn't buy was when Tim said that there wasn't a villain this season. Maybe from his perspective that might be true, because he sees all the behavior, not just what was on camera. But after Josh's fight with Bert, and all the snide Talking Heads, I still think of Josh as a villain. Laura is a close second, although she did seem to calm down a little, after getting props for her collection. Of course, after suffering through the likes of Kenley and Victorya, maybe they don't seem all bad to Tim.

PolkaDotty

PolkaDotty

Fanatic

Posted Nov 3, 2011 @ 10:45 PM

After hearing how great Laura's decoy collection was, it was nice for her to get major props, on screen. I wonder if she hadn't messed up with the wrinkled nightgown if she might have slid past Kimberly?

And good for Victor for being such a good sport about coming thisclose to winning, but being aced out by an unqualified amateur and a sore loser. I wonder if Josh had a hissy fit and decided to boycott the show? He was not missed (it took me half an hour to notice his absence.)

The Anya-lovetrain was so obvious from the casting episode. Now that the judges have seen all the sloppily-finished hems and seams for themselves, will they take into consideration Tim's suggestions, or once again be charmed by a beauty queen with poor construction skills?

CrumbyButtons

CrumbyButtons

Stalker

• Interests:Gardening

Posted Nov 3, 2011 @ 10:58 PM

Love Tim but that was kinda boring (ok, more than "kinda"). But Anthony Ryan (someone I never found remotely attractive) looked cute with the mohawk and bulky sweater. And Kimberly looked so freaking stunning opening the video to Tim, maybe she should design AND model her clothes!

So Tim gives Anthony Ryan the "cheated out of a win" award (the win had gone to Olivier) and then gives Olivier the bad time management award. I actually felt a little sorry for Olivier. Or I would if he ever seemed to "get it".

Navelgazer

Navelgazer

Couch Potato

Posted Nov 3, 2011 @ 11:12 PM

If Anthony Ryan didn't already have a fiance, I would totally ship him with Tim Gunn. Between Tim's tearful reaction to Anthony's elimination, and Anthony's obvious love for Tim tonight, there's obviously a special connection between the two of them.

StinkPill

StinkPill

Couch Potato

Posted Nov 3, 2011 @ 11:32 PM

Well besides hearing "the first time in Project Runway history" 200 times. I kept waiting for the end of the show for them to announce Tim has been bravely fighting cancer or something. I thought it was strange, and a waste of time. Can't wait for All-Stars.

Ginandtonic

Ginandtonic

Fanatic

Posted Nov 4, 2011 @ 12:25 AM

Anya, why did you chop off all your hair??? I loved your hair before, now, yuck.

Puds38

Puds38

Stalker

Posted Nov 4, 2011 @ 12:30 AM

Well that sucked. Stepford Tim Gunn reading a teleprompter. Stupid, fake awards, and a rousing rendition of "To Sir, with Love" Tim Gunn style.

Maybe it is a good thing we have a break until the All Stars show. I'm going to need a bit of time to get rid of that nasty taste this season has left me with.

Edited by Puds38, Nov 4, 2011 @ 12:30 AM.

Renee in CA

Renee in CA

Couch Potato

Posted Nov 4, 2011 @ 12:34 AM

Well, that was a forced happy Tim Gunn reading the teleprompter, but the interactions were good. Josh not being there -- I was mad but glad. Hopefully something important (not his spray tan fading) kept him away, it was odd.

Poor Laura, her decoy collection put both Josh's and Anya's to shame. I never liked her stuff during the season, but those were beautiful clothes.

Just a question: Tim said something about showing Laura's collection to Nina, but surely the judges watch all of the runway collections - it would be totally obvious if they were not there for the decoy collections.

Puds38

Puds38

Stalker

Posted Nov 4, 2011 @ 12:40 AM

Just a question: Tim said something about showing Laura's collection to Nina, but surely the judges watch all of the runway collections - it would be totally obvious if they were not there for the decoy collections.

I assume he meant brought her backstage and had her look at them up close.

Mystery

Mystery

Fanatic

Posted Nov 4, 2011 @ 12:49 AM

The only part I liked was the tribute to Tim and the information about the stilts show having to include the first two auf'd. Anthony Ryan using the word "grace" to describe Tim was perfect; it's what I always think about Tim. I was taken aback to hear Laura say that the best thing about Tim, basically, was how he helped her become the designer she is today.

The Void

The Void

Fanatic

Posted Nov 4, 2011 @ 12:55 AM

That 'dress' that Rafael and Josh C. made for the stiltwalker looked even more heinous in motion.

Ginandtonic

Ginandtonic

Fanatic

Posted Nov 4, 2011 @ 1:17 AM

I was so caught up looking at Anya's new hair that I didn't realize that she's totally changed her entire look. She was dressed in very fitted clothes with boots, I guess the Caribbean look is gone now that she's living in New York.

bellonaclub

bellonaclub

Fanatic

Posted Nov 4, 2011 @ 5:54 AM

Poor Laura, her decoy collection put both Josh's and Anya's to shame. I never liked her stuff during the season, but those were beautiful clothes.

She never made anything remotely that good during the season. Perhaps she just needs the time to think through her designs and since she didn't have that, she defaulted to Barbiewear. I really liked most of her collection's pieces.

I thought this was mostly a waste of an hour except for a few highlights:

+ Virtually No Josh.
+ Anthony Ryan's chunky sweater.
+ That stupendously awful decoy stiltwalker dress that Rafael and Mormon Josh made. It was so bad it was almost brilliant.
+ Kimberley's post-competition glow.
+ Bert's ears turning red every time he got embarrassed. That was cute.

And Tim tearing up over that tribute made me sniffle a bit. He's such a class act. Even when defending what was the crappiest season ever, he did it with grace and elegance.

I assume he meant brought her backstage and had her look at them up close.

I wonder if, while he was showing them stuff up close, he also pointed out all the mismatched seams in Anya's stuff?

Cgr

Cgr

Fanatic

Posted Nov 4, 2011 @ 6:55 AM

Where was Josh? Surprised there was no mention of his absence.
I liked the looks of Anya's things (but they sure were similar to the gal who did all the resort wear a few yrs back) but for some reason could not warm up to her. My opinion didn't change. I wish there would have been a 'let's all apologize to Burt' moment. I do hope he wasn't really treated as poorly off screen as we saw on screen.
Wish I had DVRed House Hunters rather then this love fest.

bookworm8787

bookworm8787

Just Tuned In

Posted Nov 4, 2011 @ 7:01 AM

I had two thoughts about Josh's absence. One, the other contestants (and Tim) had a new clause in their contract where they refused to be in the same room with him. Secondly, he was unavailable because he was on the road tour of "Boys in the Band." (And Josh, if you're ready -- I hope you had tissues for your issues.)

Oldernotwiser

Oldernotwiser

Fanatic

Posted Nov 4, 2011 @ 8:02 AM

I didn't exactly expect snark from the Divine Tim Gunn, but I at least expected some honesty and some recognition that this season was a little different (the fact that the winner can't sew comes to mind). I think he got scripted to death.

Disappointing.

Gunslinger

Gunslinger

Video Archivist

Posted Nov 4, 2011 @ 8:29 AM

All I could think of when I was watching this was about the season three Road to the Runway special. I kept reading reviews of it where people were saying how much they loved Tim's talking heads into the camera because his voice was so different when he was just talking from when he was "hosting." During this Behind the Seams special, Tim was in "host" mode and it was extremely hard to watch.

Tim: I love you to death, but you are an awkward host. It's a bit endearing but it's also...awkward. I felt like every! sentence! ended in an exclamation point. When you do your show next year, I hope you and your panel of experts are able to have nice conversations and it isn't so heavily manipulated. Oh, and please don't say the words "Project Runway history" ever again.

This special made me so sad. I will continue to love Tim and I will most likely watch Project Runway forever as long as he's there. I knew a special as truthful as his blogs was a farfetched dream but I was still disappointed. I also felt like a good deal of it was scripted, and to tell the truth I hope it was, because I can handle Tim giving in to some sort of pressure or contract.

Oh, and I was upset when he said the stilt walker challenge was disappointing because it was too costumey - he kept telling the designers during the challenge to go wild because this was a challenge built to be costumey. My personal conspiracy theory is the producers made Tim say things to agree with the judges' decisions not only because of last year, but because of what he said on the finale episode - that it seems like everything he loves the judges hate. I have no proof, of course, it's just a gut feeling. Last year near the end - not in the Heidi Klum activewear challenge but in one of the challenges near it - Tim said he wasn't even going to guess what the judges would say and that at that point he was just going to help the designers achieve their visions. I want that Tim back. The Tim in this special was just...wrong somehow.

Pepper Mostly

Pepper Mostly

Fanatic

Posted Nov 4, 2011 @ 9:07 AM

Anthony Ryan using the word "grace" to describe Tim was perfect; it's what I always think about Tim.

Me too, and Anya used "pure", which I found very apt.

Where was Josh? Surprised there was no mention of his absence.

SO glad he wasn't there, sucking all the air out of the room. The others could actually speak!

The tribute to Tim was really sweet, though the absence of ALL the competitors was glaring. No Becky? No Josh C.? No Julie? No Bryce? Its like they never existed. That was poor. And Josh, of course, makes the tribute to Tim all about himself--"you helped ME." "I became the designer I was meant to be". "I learned about MYSELF". Jesus H. Christ on a cracker.

WhatHappened

WhatHappened

Loyal Viewer

Posted Nov 4, 2011 @ 9:26 AM

In all fairness to the Top 4, by that time, Laura was no longer in the competition. She no longer had the stress of vyving for a spot at Fashion Week.

I wish there would have been a 'let's all apologize to Burt' moment. I do hope he wasn't really treated as poorly off screen as we saw on screen.

It takes 2 to tango. Burt can also be difficult. He brought some of the friction on himself.

Neeney

Neeney

Fanatic

Posted Nov 4, 2011 @ 9:53 AM

By the time I noticed that Josh wasn't there, I didn't really miss him. I'll bet he skipped it so that he couldn't be "called out" on his crap like he was during the after the runway shows.

As for Bert, yah he gave it, but he ended up getting a LOT more than he gave. He did calm down a lot by the time he was elim'd.

And I hated Laura's collection. Maybe it's just me, but I didn't really like ANY of the collections, although Bert's decoy collection came pretty close to what I would like. JMO.

Renee in CA

Renee in CA

Couch Potato

Posted Nov 4, 2011 @ 10:03 AM

Oh, thanks, that makes sense.

Quilt Fairy

Quilt Fairy

Fanatic

Posted Nov 4, 2011 @ 10:58 AM

Tim: I love you to death, but you are an awkward host.

I think after 9 seasons Tim has enough screen time to look comfortable on camera. But it didn't help that they didn't have him always turn to the camera that was filming him, so we got a lot of shots of him talking into the 'wrong' camera. That made him look awkward.

ScrubMonkey

ScrubMonkey

Fanatic

Posted Nov 4, 2011 @ 11:11 AM

The episode was so badly constructed it seemed like live Tv. I worried about Tim's blood pressure at times he was often so emotional. I guess he isn't as calm on the inside as he seems from the outside. I agree with Anya he's a pure soul. Only a pure soul would say there were no "plotting and planning villains" last season. What about Josh and how he treated Bert and Becky. That seemed like some plotting and planning to me. Though I must admit, it worked. Josh stayed in the game 'til the end.

Bert's decoy collection came pretty close to what I would like.

I loved Bert's collection. I disagree with Tim that it isn't relevant any more. Classic is classic, and those would look good on so many women; or rather would make so many women look better. Plus, it looked expensive, where so many other collections shown looked cheap.

The fake-out stiltwalker dress really was horrible.

Glad they gave Tim some recognition. I think making a difference in young people's lives means a lot to him. It may be why he has some difficulty with Bert - maybe in Tim's mind Bert should be semi retired or teaching by now?

Cgr

Cgr

Fanatic

Posted Nov 4, 2011 @ 11:20 AM

The fake-out stiltwalker dress really was horrible.

It seemed like a 'who cares anymore we will show you' sort of thing.