8-4: "Risky Business" 2011.10.31

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.

51 replies to this topic

Ghandisflipflop

Ghandisflipflop

Channel Surfer

Posted Nov 2, 2011 @ 8:37 AM

I thought House took the laser to use as collateral so he could borrow the $200,000 to purchase stock. He made close to a million dollars, so he could reopen his department with everyone receiving a salary.

Fable

Fable

Fanatic

Posted Nov 2, 2011 @ 11:40 AM

The woman playing Park needs acting lessons pronto. She's like a high schooler doing a cold read of the school play.

That's the point! She's incredibly smart but socially awkward, stiff. Her lack of animation and flat voice crack me the hell up. Maybe it's because I've known a couple of people like this. Brilliant, but somewhat sheltered and repressed; the flat affect the result of little interaction with people outside of family. I think the character is spot on and a hoot.

I agree. I love her interactions with House. She never really seems completely shocked by him, and just accepts him at face value without kowtowing to him. I like her much better than Adams.

I was really dreading Foreman as DoM but I like the job he is doing. He seems to be finding his footing in dealing with House.

shoplib

shoplib

Couch Potato

Posted Nov 2, 2011 @ 1:44 PM

I'm on board with really liking Park just because the character is so different, and I work in a high school and I know people like this. Actually, Park is the only thing I'm liking about this new season. Whether this is the last season or not, it will be my last season if things don't improve.

Wait, I do still like Wilson. He's not around much though.

QueenofCups

QueenofCups

Fanatic

Posted Nov 2, 2011 @ 2:46 PM

I also found it kind of annoying that they made Park's boss not only a butt-grabber but "a hack" as a doctor. Because of course no one who is supposed to be the "bad guy" can be a good doctor. That would be way too nuanced.

ITA. They did seem to be over-egging the pudding by making him a drunk, and a groper, and a bad doctor. As if someone who is a jerk couldn't be competent at anything...but wait, what about House?

Odette Annable was just painfully bad. She performs like the star of a shampoo commercial - no need to act when your glorious mane of hair will do it for you. Didn't she even realize that the "prison tats" line was supposed to be a joke? Little as I think of Olivia Wilde's acting skills, she would have known it was supposed to be a joke and nailed the delivery. It's painful to watch her with Hugh Laurie; he has to work so much harder to compensate when the person he's playing off is a blank wall.

I think that Wilson's role is too often the "House whisperer" - explaining House to his new fellows. I've seen it too many times before and I wish that TPTB would give him something else to do. However, I loved Wilson's puzzlement when House handed him the $5,000 cheque. But House's finances confuse me. He pled guilty and took the first settlement offer made to him, so he wouldn't have paid a fortune in lawyer's fees. He's been a head of department for decades, and I find it hard to believe that he wouldn't have $5,000 or even $20,000 of his own to invest. Admittedly, he's being paid minimum wage now, but he should have savings. Unless it all went on hookers.

I like Park much better than Adams, but this episode had too much of both of them. Please bring Chase back soon.

Edited by QueenofCups, Nov 2, 2011 @ 2:58 PM.

QueenofCups

QueenofCups

Fanatic

Posted Nov 3, 2011 @ 2:53 AM

Perhaps because I lived for a long time in a city populated with many people from Hong Kong, I don't find Charlyne Yi at all hard to understand. I'm used to people who find English consonant clusters hard to pronounce and I don't find her awkwardness off-putting. Even if that awkwardness comes from Charlyne Yi's discomfort with acting, it works for the character. Good casting.

yogimax

yogimax

Loyal Viewer

Posted Nov 3, 2011 @ 8:49 AM

Could not agree more with this:

I think that Dr. Park's character is fine, but the prison doctor (Adams?) is terrible. She doesn't even work there, so she can swan around all dressed up, with waist length hair flying around-please tie it back. Even Cameron was never this annoying...

This episode was boring for me... Could not get into this one, at all.

I will never stop watching House, just because it is one of the few shows I watch on TV and I am always hopeful one of the episodes will be really great.

I am actually looking forward to Taub and Chase returning...

lucindabelle

lucindabelle

Fanatic

Posted Nov 3, 2011 @ 9:06 PM

we didn't even hear the patient had rheumatoid arthritis until the epiphany. people with ra (I have it) are on ALL kinds of meds, and that would affect some tests, and also, we don't all have RA antibodies or thick blood. I didn't understand what was wrong with him in the end. that kind of bugs me. I did like the scene where Adams kind of lost it, though.

caseylane

caseylane

Fanatic

Posted Nov 3, 2011 @ 10:52 PM

We learned about the RA in the opening with his daughter.

Hecate7

Hecate7

Fanatic

Posted Nov 4, 2011 @ 12:20 AM

That's the point! She's incredibly smart but socially awkward, stiff. Her lack of animation and flat voice crack me the hell up. Maybe it's because I've known a couple of people like this. Brilliant, but somewhat sheltered and repressed; the flat affect the result of little interaction with people outside of family. I think the character is spot on and a hoot.

I agree. I love her interactions with House. She never really seems completely shocked by him, and just accepts him at face value without kowtowing to him. I like her much better than Adams.

House and Dr. Park remind me a great deal of Doonesbury's Duke and Honey.

lucindabelle

lucindabelle

Fanatic

Posted Nov 4, 2011 @ 8:05 AM

was there one line about RA? That's not enough. it's a chronic autoimmune disease. There would likely be some signs of it on him or his joints. They always get RA wrong, though, so don't know why I'm surprised. Like the time the Lyme disease patient had the rash on his scalp when in reality the rash fades after a few weeks so you can completelyhave Lyme and no evidence of rash. Just as you can have RA and never have the antibodies.

They're always going "lupus" too. Seriously, the writers should read up on autoimmune diseases because they get them laughably wrong.

lz1982

lz1982

Fanatic

Posted Nov 4, 2011 @ 10:44 AM

The scene where Adams trashes the ortho equipment in slomo was as chalkboard scrapingly dreadful as Cuddy's pullback screech in 9 to 5.

I was going, "We've known this character for four weeks! And now we're supposed to be super-invested in her personal life and applauding her catharic smashing of a skeleton?"

I like Dr. Park because she's so different from the other female leads on the show. Adams just seems like more of the same.

Edited by lz1982, Nov 4, 2011 @ 10:45 AM.

jmjm

jmjm

Channel Surfer

Posted Nov 4, 2011 @ 7:45 PM

I hate the new doctors, can't decide which one I dislike more. Yi is mush-mouthed and her performance so far has been cringeworthy. Even her haircut (not her fault) angers me. Yi says in a Conan interview that she doesn't know how she got hired? You and me both, sister.

The other one is smug and self-righteous and basically waltzes into the department in her bestest cashmere sweaters and can EVEN RUNS TESTS and she not employed at this hospital. Foreman just lets it slide? What the heck is going on with this show? Are we supposed to be cheering when she pointlessly ruins thousands of dollars worth of equipment? If she's so loaded she can buy herself a nice Lexus to smash with a bat or kick it, Street Fighter bonus round style. Ugh.

Looking forward to Chase and Taub, I wonder how many episodes it'll be before Chase bones the rich one. This is US tv, the writers have to bring the sexxayness, right? And we'll get to see how badly Taub got ruined by his two ridiculous babies.

Sorry for all the angriness, I'm just so disappointed with this show >.<

QueenofCups

QueenofCups

Fanatic

Posted Nov 4, 2011 @ 9:47 PM

I was going, "We've known this character for four weeks! And now we're supposed to be super-invested in her personal life and applauding her catharic smashing of a skeleton?"

I agree. If Dr. Adams were a really compelling character, it would be possible to care about her four episodes in, but she just isn't. I didn't like the lazy, unprofessional way she practised medicine in the premiere; I didn't like the way she "experimented" on Park in the third episode; and I didn't like the way she lectured her patient on business ethics in this episode. I guess giving her a one-sentence marriage and divorce is supposed to add back story and depth to her character, but then having her destroy all that equipment (because hey, she's rich, she can afford it) makes any sympathy I might have for her evaporate. Adams also shares her identical twin Thirteen's worst trait - her intolerable smugness.

Kabota

Kabota

Video Archivist

Posted Nov 5, 2011 @ 7:44 AM

Adams also shares her identical twin Thirteen's worst trait - her intolerable smugness.

They seem to have funneled all of Masters' awkwardness into Park. That leaves Adams as the purveyor of all characteristics formerly associated with 13, Cuddy and Cameron. Not good.

Only thing I've liked is their footwear. Park wears medi-clogs, and I once noticed Adams in......flats. Truly!

jmjm

jmjm

Channel Surfer

Posted Nov 5, 2011 @ 4:20 PM

I didn't like the way she lectured her patient on business ethics in this episode.

I agree so much with this. Cameron did it, Masters did it, and now Adams. Probably more people in between but I can't be bothered to remember. This is an insufferable trait and so unprofessional. It is also lazy writing. It is a shortcut for the writers to tell the audience exactly what we should be feeling about the patient of the week.

Karmalicious

Karmalicious

Video Archivist

Posted Nov 8, 2011 @ 5:59 PM

I'm not enjoying Dr. Adams either. She is very pretty, but there's little substance there- both in character development and acting chops. I also couldn't stand her sharing her opinion with a CEO. If I were him, I'd say and you've run a company for 20 something years? Oh, no? STFU then.

clem2

clem2

Channel Surfer

Posted Nov 9, 2011 @ 4:42 AM

I just watched this as I missed it last week.

Totally agree that Dr. Adams is dreadful. As I thought in the epi before, she can't act. Watching her smash the skeleton and medical equipment was ridiculous.

And the peroblem with the patient was not well explained.

I do like Dr. Park.

I guess the actors all know this is the last year and are not enthusiastic about anything, too. Disappointing.

braggtastic

braggtastic

Stalker

Posted Nov 9, 2011 @ 1:44 PM

The woman playing Park needs acting lessons pronto. She's like a high schooler doing a cold read of the school play.

She agrees with you. When she was on Conan two weeks ago, she said she told the people at House that she needs an acting coach because she sucks, and they just laughed her off. Then they saw her act and agreed. So what we're seeing is Charlene Yi with the benefit of an acting coach. I love her, love her style, but if I went to the hospital and she was my doctor, I'd demand to see some ID. She looks all of 14.

peggy06

peggy06

Couch Potato

Posted Nov 9, 2011 @ 8:49 PM

She agrees with you. When she was on Conan two weeks ago, she said she told the people at House that she needs an acting coach because she sucks, and they just laughed her off. Then they saw her act and agreed. So what we're seeing is Charlene Yi with the benefit of an acting coach.

Seriously? That's just depressing. Kind of encapsulates the problems with the show these last few years. They do things backwards. They write to achieve a predetermined effect or plot point, and the heck with characterization. Or they cast a type regardless of whether the person is a good actor. And it shows.

Forn

Forn

Couch Potato

Posted Nov 10, 2011 @ 1:32 PM

having her destroy all that equipment (because hey, she's rich, she can afford it) makes any sympathy I might have for her evaporate

Maybe I missed something, but my impression was House paid for all that equipment she smashed. Remember he gave Foreman some extra money, and then told her it was all bought and paid for.

That room they were in was the osteo lab, which was occupying part of his former office, and which was such a source of annoyance for House. So House got to see all the osteo equipment smashed up (since it will now be his office again), and she got to take out some of her frustrations. He paid for it, with his investment earnings.

QueenofCups

QueenofCups

Fanatic

Posted Nov 10, 2011 @ 2:05 PM

To me, it doesn't really make all that much difference whether House paid for it out of blackmail/insider trading earnings or whether Adams paid for it out of her trust fund. There's something ugly, childish and petulant about wantonly destroying things just because you can afford to do it, especially when those things were originally made to help other people.

There was a scene in Breaking Bad which had the same idea. The protaganist destroyed a brand new car. Except that in Breaking Bad, this wasn't presented as a glorious slow-mo catharctic moment of release but as an act of pique and emotional immaturity. Breaking Bad was closer to the truth of the matter, I think.

Truckhorse

Truckhorse

Channel Surfer

Posted Jan 18, 2012 @ 12:52 AM

Did anyone see Barton stride out of his mansion and think, 'Hey, is that David Hasselhoff?'