Jared Gilmore as Henry: Boy in the Middle

• Please log in to reply

315 replies to this topic

Tzigone

Tzigone

Fanatic

Posted Feb 25, 2012 @ 6:20 PM

I don't know if I can explain myself well on this point. I mean it from more of a meta perspective. Watching a 13 or 14 year old in the role, isn't going to be as charming for me. I'm having a hard time imagining how he won't come off as a real dilly.

For me, it's different. A 13 or 14 year old, fighting this fight? Trying to help everyone, save everyone? That's a hero. Charming 2.0, maybe. It's fantastic. The way I see Henry now, but stronger and abler, due to experience and age. Depends on the actor's ability to pull it off and the writer's ability (and willingness) to let him grow up instead of trying to make him act younger (very annoying, but it happens with kid characters sometimes).

I guess the truth is right now, I mostly do not see him as "oh, that's so cute" type of person. He's right, and I know it. And so his idea doesn't seem at all silly to me, though of course, I know the other characters see it that way. I've said it before - Henry is hero material for me. And to see him grow into that would be fantastic. However, I will say that he must have an ally who believes him in order for it to work the way I want. But if Emma still doesn't believe by then, I'll probably have quit the show. Perpetual ignorance in a character is just too frustrating.

ImNotLeesa

ImNotLeesa

Fanatic

Posted Feb 25, 2012 @ 9:21 PM

I get around any "silliness" that Henry's continued beliefs might cause by just imagining him as a youthful version of Fox Mulder from The X-Files. Not that he literally grows up to become Fox Mulder, but just that he's the kind of character who has developed a driving belief that the world isn't as it seems and who is determined to change it for the better by exposing the truth. And who is right even if those around him think he's crazy or want to thwart his efforts because it makes their lives easier to maintain the status quo.

And with that thought, Tzigone, you're heroic future vision of him fits well. As long as he gets something tangible to drive him on, or is able to win over someone else to his beliefs I think he could have a very interesting story. If he is continually thwarted and disproved and never gains any ground, though, I think it could get very frustrating over time.

Edited by ImNotLeesa, Feb 25, 2012 @ 9:22 PM.

Tzigone

Tzigone

Fanatic

Posted Feb 25, 2012 @ 9:37 PM

For me, I just don't perceive a single bit of silliness. Because he's right. His suspicions have grounding, too. The whole non-aging, living-in-a-haze-ness of everyone else is a big clue. I understand why people would think there's silliness, sort of. But that would be applicable to the reality, not the character, to me. Honestly, being right makes all the difference.

As long as he gets something tangible to drive him on, or is able to win over someone else to his beliefs I think he could have a very interesting story. If he is continually thwarted and disproved and never gains any ground, though, I think it could get very frustrating over time.

Well, I do think the non-agingness is enough to drive him, myself. Though I do want the physical evidence, that's for Emma. My biggest fear is them not letting him grow up, trying to make him act 10 when the actor is 14. He needs to hold on to the truth, act on it, but act his age.

Cindy McLennan

Cindy McLennan

Network Executive

Posted Feb 26, 2012 @ 12:06 PM

I don't find him silly either, because he is right. If they go the Charming 2.0 route, I guess it should work. This is probably another place where Lost left me skittish. Walt was so important, for one season, and the ended up not mattering much at all (and being written off) because the actor grew up, as children do. Of course Lost wrote itself into a corner, by having so little time pass -- on the island. Once Upon A Time doesn't need to do that.

I am thinking (hoping?) that in the not-too-distant future Henry's theories will be vindicated/believed by at least a few other persons.

That will help, I agree.

Cindy, I tell myself that if Harry Potter & friends can grow up in their roles, so can Henry!

Good point. Some of this is probably latent sexism on my part, too, because I don't think the idea would have even occurred to me if the child was a girl, instead.

legaleagle44

legaleagle44

Stalker

Posted Feb 26, 2012 @ 2:02 PM

For me, I just don't perceive a single bit of silliness. Because he's right. His suspicions have grounding, too. The whole non-aging, living-in-a-haze-ness of everyone else is a big clue. I understand why people would think there's silliness, sort of. But that would be applicable to the reality, not the character, to me. Honestly, being right makes all the difference.

As long as he gets something tangible to drive him on, or is able to win over someone else to his beliefs I think he could have a very interesting story. If he is continually thwarted and disproved and never gains any ground, though, I think it could get very frustrating over time.

Well, I do think the non-agingness is enough to drive him, myself. Though I do want the physical evidence, that's for Emma. My biggest fear is them not letting him grow up, trying to make him act 10 when the actor is 14. He needs to hold on to the truth, act on it, but act his age.

Indeed, I have to wonder what Regina's going to do once Henry turns 18, if the curse hasn't already been completely broken by then. He'll be an adult, and she won't be able to control when and if he meets up with Emma the way she can now. It's at that point that he might be in the most danger from her, since she'll have lost the last bastion of her power once she loses control over him -- and we've already seen that she won't let mere familial ties stop her from maintaining her power base.

Camera One

Camera One

Fanatic

Posted Feb 26, 2012 @ 5:25 PM

Like Tzigone, I'm already rooting for Henry so this will not change when he becomes a full-fledged teenager.

This is probably another place where Lost left me skittish. Walt was so important, for one season, and the ended up not mattering much at all (and being written off) because the actor grew up, as children do. Of course Lost wrote itself into a corner, by having so little time pass -- on the island. Once Upon A Time doesn't need to do that.

As you said, "Once Upon A Time" shouldn't have the constraints of "Lost". I don't see how the "Lost" writers could have done as good or realistic a story if each season was an entire year stranded on the island. Though I agree they could have done a better job of keeping Walt. However, "Lost" was a huge ensemble show and Walt was only one of the twelve or so pieces. Whereas Henry was key from the very beginning of this series, so I would expect the writers to have known that from the very start. The key is whether the actor who plays Henry wants to continue this job. Sometimes, child actors lose interest eventually and want to leave the show.

Edited by Camera One, Feb 26, 2012 @ 5:25 PM.

MorninStar

MorninStar

Fanatic

Posted Feb 26, 2012 @ 5:56 PM

Oh.. I hope they don't pull a 'Walt' with Henry. Charming 2.0 would be so much more.. charming. ;)

blue green

blue green

Couch Potato

Posted Feb 26, 2012 @ 7:02 PM

I hate to think how Regina will act when he starts dating...

bigredcat7

bigredcat7

Fanatic

Posted Mar 3, 2012 @ 10:30 PM

I follow Jared Gilmore on Twitter. He's so cute and mature. Here are a couple recent comments:

If you were an adult, what other character would you have liked to play on #ouat?
@Cinderoni I would have given Josh a run for his money.

@Jared_Gilmore i really respect you as an actor. Whats it like working with lana and what kind of relationship do you guys have offscreen?
@sassydramaqueen Lana is amazing. She and my family have become very close. She is almost like our our adopted family.

@Jared_Gilmore Do you and Jennifer Morrison have an awesome relationship like Emma and Henry?!
@BrownsBoxOffice Yes. She is a great person.

Edited by bigredcat7, Mar 3, 2012 @ 10:31 PM.

Camera One

Camera One

Fanatic

Posted Mar 12, 2012 @ 4:08 PM

I really do think he adds some good humour into the show. I liked his scene of "helping" Ruby with her job search.

MorninStar

MorninStar

Fanatic

Posted Mar 13, 2012 @ 2:49 AM

Camera One.. I agree.. I just loved how he kept prodding Ruby's basket toting skills!!

I was surprised Henry hasn't noticed any changes to his book. I wonder what August did to it.. and I wonder if Regina has a key to that drawer (it wouldn't surprise me).

Henry must have a little free time after school while Regina is off squeezing hearts to dust and making sure the town residents are miserable.

goldberry71

goldberry71

Channel Surfer

Posted Mar 19, 2012 @ 11:02 AM

Jared has made a few comments on twitter about him not being on the show so much because they are giving the audience what they want (meaning other characters and actors). Insert sad face. I for one would like to see more of Jared on the show. I think his relationship with Emma is one of the few things that make her character likeable and I see him as the gateway to her faith. Also, I think we need to see him and Regina more and I am liking the interaction between Henry and August.

Samiwell

Samiwell

Video Archivist

Posted Mar 19, 2012 @ 12:04 PM

Thank you, goldberry. I love the Henry character (and Jared's portrayal) and am saddened by those tweets. Hard to believe the show is paying attention to negative response to him. To me, he's the real hero of the story and the show should capitalize on that if they want to appeal to young families.

MorninStar

MorninStar

Fanatic

Posted Mar 19, 2012 @ 12:29 PM

I agree with Samiwell & goldberry. I think Henry is sweet.. and I do view him as a young future 'Charming'. I don't understand the negative comments. I do think the show could do a better job of having the audience understand why Henry thinks his mother is evil.. and they did just that in this last episode by justifying Henry's suspicions of his mothers involvement with framing Mary Margaret/the ring of keys.

What is interesting is that Emma is willing to do an awful lot to go with her instincts (who is lying/who is telling the truth) but trying to find ways to back that up.. WITHOUT implicating Henry as the source of the information.

Aliasscape

Aliasscape

Fanatic

Posted Mar 19, 2012 @ 5:27 PM

Jared has made a few comments on twitter about him not being on the show so much because they are giving the audience what they want (meaning other characters and actors).

I didn't really get the impression it was meant to be rejecting of him but that people would like to see the back stories of all the other characters. Everyone has been foot stomping about why hadn't we seen Ruby's story and goodness, where's Geppetto? And Archie had all but disappeared. The first third of the season was basically all about Henry and "the people" want to see other characters better fleshed out, more so than they may have wanted "less Henry."

Samiwell

Samiwell

Video Archivist

Posted Mar 19, 2012 @ 5:39 PM

I agree with most of your posts, Aliasscape, but not about this. And I will just leave it at that.

Aliasscape

Aliasscape

Fanatic

Posted Mar 19, 2012 @ 6:47 PM

Don't worry, I won't get on you for disagreeing. I definitely have seen posts here and elsewhere of people who find Henry the most annoying character on the show. Or Emma the most annoying character on the show. Some think Regina is the most annoying character on the show. Like they don't love to hate her. They just hate her.

It aired too late to have an effect the future, but goodness, I sure hope people realize how "juvenile" this show is or isn't is definitely unrelated to Henry after watching Dreamy. Now there's an ep I'd be tempted to summarize and skip if I was introducing this show to a new friend.

Ladyraske

Ladyraske

Loyal Viewer

Posted Mar 31, 2012 @ 11:48 PM

Did Jared hit a growth spurt? At the end of the episode I thought he looked much older/more mature than he did at the beginning of the season.

Aliasscape

Aliasscape

Fanatic

Posted Apr 1, 2012 @ 1:06 AM

I've felt he's looked obviously older from the end of episode 13, "Whatever Happened to Frederick" when Emma came and gave him the book back. His voice has sounded slightly different to me since then as well. I've adjusted now 4 eps later.

Cindy McLennan

Cindy McLennan

Network Executive

Posted Apr 1, 2012 @ 9:11 AM

Jared has made a few comments on twitter about him not being on the show so much because they are giving the audience what they want (meaning other characters and actors).

I didn't really get the impression it was meant to be rejecting of him but that people would like to see the back stories of all the other characters. Everyone has been foot stomping about why hadn't we seen Ruby's story and goodness, where's Geppetto? And Archie had all but disappeared. The first third of the season was basically all about Henry and "the people" want to see other characters better fleshed out, more so than they may have wanted "less Henry."

I agree with Aliasscape.

There was one Tweet in which he said: "[color=darkred]I like it all. I wish I was in more scenes but I am completely happy with everything. Yes it would be cool in the Fairy Tales[/color]." Link.

]There was another one where he said: "[color=darkred]I miss that screen time also but I do understand there more than just Henry's Story.[/color]" Link.

(If you're not logged onto Twitter, you'll want to change the https to http. I originally did, but I've been wrestling with formatting this post forever, because of the board weirdness, and lost the original URLs and had to go back and get them, and now I don't even know why I bothered.)

I think both comments are just a typical actor's wish for more scenes. I don't see anything that implies his role has been reduced because of what the audience wants. It's a big cast. Heck, there are weeks Carlyle and Parrilla are barely on screen and there aren't the sort of legal restrictions on using them, that there are on using child actors.

Did Jared hit a growth spurt? At the end of the episode I thought he looked much older/more mature than he did at the beginning of the season.

I think so. He's almost 12 and just a month younger than my youngest son, who has changed so much in the last 9 months, it's startling. They maybe shouldn't have made Henry 10 years old, given the fact that the actor is heading into puberty.

MorninStar

MorninStar

Fanatic

Posted Apr 1, 2012 @ 1:38 PM

Cindy.. agreed about the tweets.

One would think (given Walt on LOST) they would have given some thought to the Henry growing up situation. I hope they have plans to deal with the changes that might happen rather quickly.

kennyab

kennyab

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 1, 2012 @ 2:54 PM

I think so. He's almost 12 and just a month younger than my youngest son, who has changed so much in the last 9 months, it's startling. They maybe shouldn't have made Henry 10 years old, given the fact that the actor is heading into puberty.

As long as they allow time to progress in Storybrooke, I don't think it's more problematic than for any other show. Plus, if the show makes it for, say, six seasons, I'd much rather end up with a 16-year-old Henry than an adult Henry. And they needed an age that was old enough to understand what's going on, but not so old to seem like an angsty teenager with some possible personality disorder. My only points-of-reference are my nephews. The younger one, 8, still seems that he'd be a bit too young for what they needed, and the 13-year-old absolutely too old.

goldberry71

goldberry71

Channel Surfer

Posted Apr 2, 2012 @ 11:18 AM

This was the tweet I was referring to: "I miss Henry to (sic). The fans get what they want. They seem to want everyone else more. Don't worry." My initial reaction may have been a protective mom poor kid, hope he isn't internalizing this and taking it personallyreaction, but I understand the other perspectives on this.

Spiffy

Spiffy

Channel Surfer

Posted May 1, 2012 @ 6:20 AM

I consider myself someone who likes kids. It hurts me that I hate the character of Henry, and how the actor is playing him, so much. I pretty much fast forward through any scenes with him, which is a shame because some of them are important. I'm glad for those who like him & enjoy him, but I just can't get behind the character or his portrayal.

Tzigone

Tzigone

Fanatic

Posted May 1, 2012 @ 7:35 AM

I love him. He is absolutely fantastic to me. So much hero-potential. I loved when he told Regina that good would win. I just love good guys. Bad guys bore me. I love how determined he is to break the curse, to save everyone. He's been pretty consistent in that (the only time his resolved weakened was after Graham's murder). For all that Emma is the savior, Henry really is the driving force behind breaking the curse. I love proactive characters, particularly proactive good guys, and Henry most definitely is that. He doesn't wait around for things to happen, he tries to make things happen. That doesn't always turn out for the best, but it's a lot better than having characters passively sit around. And there's a lot of passively sitting around in Storybrooke, since the formerly assertive good guys have now been cursed. Henry is a breath of fresh air from that.

I do wish we could see more of him. There are issues that I think should have been explored and weren't, and some issues that I still think should be explored.

Obviously, he is bang-on accurate about Regina being the Evil Queen. But I'd love to see when he got the book and how he knew they were one and the same. And we know he was in therapy before he got book - I'd guess due to his claim that people didn't age and walked around in a haze, but I'd love to get that verified. Heck, I'd love to see his first session with Archie, and see how Archie responded to that. Same goes for the first session after he got the book. I'd really love to see how far back Henry and Regina's problems go. We only know that "over the years" Regina's attempts to bring him closer have backfired. Of course, if all her attempts involve driving others away from him (as with Emma) or trying to make him think he's crazy, that's understandable. He has a complete lack of tender feelings towards Regina. This is understandable to me, because he knows what she is. It's probably emotionally healthier for him. But I'd still love to know how far back that goes. He desperately wants to be away from Regina, to be with Emma, to have a better life, and I'd love too see more about that.

The second big issue is that though he seems strong and brave to me, sometimes his chipper-ness seems to be ... I won't say a facade, but at least a defense mechanism. We saw that crack a few times. When he says his life sucks in the pilot, when he breaks down after Emma calls his story crazy and similarly when Archie says he has a psychosis. He needs allies. I really do sometimes wonder if his Henry's "before" demeanor (before the book) is significantly different than the one we see now. He has hope, now. But losing that, via Emma leaving or even making no progress, could damage him deeply.

The final big issue is that Henry has Emma on a pedestal. I don't know that that has been addressed since she said (paraphrase) "if I'm not the savior, what good am I to him?" I thought that would be important. Plus the fact that she lied about believing him. I really thought he'd find out she'd lied and that it would be a huge deal. Very emotionally damaging - big fight, temporary rift between the two of them. Instead it seems like Emma mostly quit pretending to believe him and things just chugged along the way they were before. I was kinda disappointed in that. I recall one person saying they thought Henry would find out Emma lied about believing just about the time she started to believe. That would have been epic. Now I get more of a sense that if Henry were to be directly faced with that she lied then, he'd either respond "well, that's okay, you believe me now" or "I understand, you were just trying not to hurt my feelings" and while those may be reasonable/mature responses, they definitely lack drama. Plus, he's 10 - he's allowed to be immature and childish sometimes.

Edited by Tzigone, May 1, 2012 @ 7:47 AM.

MorninStar

MorninStar

Fanatic

Posted May 1, 2012 @ 12:09 PM

I agree with Tzigone, I see hero-potential written all over Henry. A mini-Charming in training. He has Snow's sense of 'noblesse oblige' and 'kick-butt' attitude.

Aliasscape

Aliasscape

Fanatic

Posted May 1, 2012 @ 2:21 PM

I'm not sure I ever believed they set up a "you only pretended to believe" rift possibility. I mean I think Henry can tell Emma's not all gung-ho "We gotta break this curse!"
If he can't he's blind. She didn't go, I believe, she said "What do I know? Maybe it is true."

Maybe is the closest thing he got to "Yes" until August was on the scene. When he's got his mom telling him, no you're 100% wrong at every turn, that Emma's even "maybe" open to believing him was good enough. But I don't see him all that shocked she doesn't fully believe considering every single time he presents her with something she lists the reasons it's either not convincing or not important right now. She challenges him only so far as to make him evaluate his ideas but when he's got an answer for her skepticism, she doesn't shut down the lines of communication, she just lets it go. So if she switches from that to "Okay, we're absolutely not having any curse talk anymore!" then that would upset him. She seems too worried about his feelings to do that though. She still seems on the gentle nudge path of "Okay, but there are other things that are more important." It may come up more if she really did get him away from Regina because at this point, I think she figures if she was stuck with a woman like Regina, then yeah, believing in a magical escape would be the only way to get through it. (Emma was also given an "out" after Graham's death when Henry asked her not to believe.)

The betrayal rift I think they've set up is the one about Henry's father. Finding out Emma just flat out lied to him and told him his father was dead is something I do not expect him to just get over.

But this whole leaving Storybrooke plan could do it too. I'm sure his biggest concern will be we can't leave, we have to break the curse. If that forces out an "Enough kid! There is no curse. There's just Regina and we need to get away from her. Blah blah blah!" Henry does not seem willing to not let everybody else be saved too. Plus with the importance of having his mom in his life, I'd also hope he'd pipe up that Emma's leaving her parents behind and hasn't she always wanted to find her family?

I just think before the first half of the season was even over creating an Emma/Henry rift would have led to the same kind of Mary/David ping-ponging of "Are they close this week or not?" Plus before Emma had solidified how much she cared about Mary Margaret, Henry rejecting her may have made her think she was doing more harm than good by sticking around and it wouldn't be worth it to STAY in Storybrooke if that was the case. Just too risky on so many storytelling levels. I've felt for awhile that Emma would attempt to leave Storybrooke in about the season finale or just before, and felt like until the end of this season they couldn't mess up her and Henry's relationship. All bets are off for the next 2 episodes though.

Tzigone

Tzigone

Fanatic

Posted May 1, 2012 @ 3:03 PM

I'm not sure I ever believed they set up a "you only pretended to believe" rift possibility. I mean I think Henry can tell Emma's not all gung-ho "We gotta break this curse!"

Well, I mean that was the thought I had immediately after Emma burned the pages and told him she was telling Regina what she needed to hear at the end of ep 2. By time ep 4 rolled around, that possibility was pretty much gone since she was open about "the real world" or whatever phrase it was she used when she said she knew who Gold was. I was thinking more a big blow-up around ep 6 with recovery in 7 & 8 and keeping on keeping on after that. Not constant back-and-forth. It's just he was so destroyed by her (to his mind) calling him crazy, and I thought we might get to see that more, see that aspect of him. The only way for that to happen would be for him to think that again.

I cannot say enough how fascinated I am by Henry's transformation after the "crazy" scene. Or when Archie attacks the curse theory. He's like a totally different person. It really does sometimes lead me to wonder just how much of himself he keeps hidden. Doubts, insecurities, etc. Breaking this curse; it's his only hope, too. At least, that's the way he seems to feel.

The betrayal rift I think they've set up is the one about Henry's father. Finding out Emma just flat out lied to him and told him his father was dead is something I do not expect him to just get over.

See, that one seems more minor to me. I expect he'll be upset, but it didn't seem to matter to him that much. He hasn't mentioned it since that episode, he hasn't talked about Dad or tried to be a hero "like Dad". I'm certainly not going so far as to say it was an afterthought to him ask about Dad, but that seemed far lower on his list of priorities than the curse. You may be right that he freaks out about it: the saddest thing about that might be that I really don't think it mattered that much what Emma told him. I think he would have been okay with knowing Dad was bad, for the most part. He wouldn't have been happy, but I don't think it would have been really damaging. I think he'd have been a bit upset, pretended to be okay, been reassured by Emma that she didn't regret having him and that he was special, and ultimately been okay. And I think he probably would have trusted Emma's word about instead of thinking she was wrong and Dad really was good or something along those lines.

Side note from that: I do find it a little odd how Henry has made no attempt to connect with Mary Margaret or David on a personal level. I don't know if that's because he doesn't have that same need for grandparents the way he does for a mom, or if it's just because he doesn't think in multi-generational terms. Emma is his mom. Snow White is Emma's mom. But he doesn't really think 'hey, my teacher is my grandma.' Mary Margaret knew about his castle, but beyond the pilot, we haven't really seen anything that indicates more than teacher/student relationship/knowledge.

Henry does not seem willing to not let everybody else be saved too. Plus with the importance of having his mom in his life, I'd also hope he'd pipe up that Emma's leaving her parents behind and hasn't she always wanted to find her family?

I absolutely agree that Henry's not willing to abandon the others. I'm not saying he could never make it to that point, but it'd take a lot more loss than where the battle is situated now for that to happen. They'd almost have to be at the point of "either Henry escapes and everyone else suffers or Henry doesn't escape and everyone else suffers" - there'd have to be essentially no hope left. Or at least, he'd have to feel that way. I can definitely see Henry bringing up her parents. Or at least Mary Margaret.

Edited by Tzigone, May 1, 2012 @ 3:05 PM.

Irish64

Irish64

Couch Potato

Posted May 1, 2012 @ 4:07 PM

I just love good guys. Bad guys bore me. I love how determined he is to break the curse, to save everyone. He's been pretty consistent in that (the only time his resolved weakened was after Graham's murder). For all that Emma is the savior, Henry really is the driving force behind breaking the curse. I love proactive characters, particularly proactive good guys, and Henry most definitely is that. He doesn't wait around for things to happen, he tries to make things happen.

Well, you know I disagree with you on this...bad characters are always more fascinating (at least to me) as they are closer to "real," (i.e. they have faults.) Now on this show, at least they show Emma as having faults (though its all because of Regina and the curse...) and Snow at least has been shown to have her faults and not be perfect (kind of by default...she didnt MEAN to tell on Regina, when she was bad it was a potion, etc) so she is a bit more interesting. However, Charming and Henry or just cartoon good...aka, boring. Its more interesting to show an internal struggle (why Emma has become more interesting to me) then just watch good and bad. I just dont think they have given Henry any kind of background or motivation on why he thinks Regina is evil and why he cares so much about everyone else. As I have said, all we have seen of Regina (besides the evil we know her as) is that she is a cold distracted mother. We havent seen her be mean to him, (I know people will say she is "gaslighting," him Regina would say its for his own good to be done with these goofy thoughts that could hurt him...which to me is misquided not evil...) I see no inner conflict in him, the woman is his mom, even if he hates her, and I don't even see him "hating" her.

Here is what I see, a goofy book (a book no 12 year old boy would be caught dead reading much less obsess over..I am with Regina on this one, here's a football kid now go out and play) tells him his mom is evil and he believes it. Sure he sees time not moving, as he gets older and that could really screw you up, but we dont see it!!! He doesnt seem concerned about the fact that his mom is an evil queen, he seems to take it as a game. Now if we would see flashbacks about him being treated unwell (or Regina twirling around in her Evil Queen costume while easting a kitten) and maybe dreams or flashbacks that something aint right in town, but the kid seems oddly calm and disconnected. Even his little outburst was more of a whine then anything else, he didnt even end it with "I HATE you mom for being the Princess of Darkness...why cant I have a normal family!!!"

I have no idea why, except that the men on the show besides Rumple have actually nothing very interesting going on for them, bland seem to be their middle name. Could be his age and they cant use him that much, or that they cant have him act something deeper out. I have no idea, but for a "hero," and the supposed lynchpin of the story, he is a big fail to me. Which is strange as the show really does get most of it right..so maybe there is more to come?

Hero, maybe but more of a plot dictated one. He is one because the show is telling us he is, but they arent fleshing him out.

metaphysicist

metaphysicist

Couch Potato

Posted May 1, 2012 @ 4:38 PM

If his father comes to Storybrooke, as I thought the showrunners indicated would happen in season 2, then any feelings of betrayal by Emma in relating a false story, will be overwhelmed by the presence of his actual father.