Jared Gilmore as Henry: Boy in the Middle

• Please log in to reply

315 replies to this topic

Camera One

Camera One

Fanatic

Posted Dec 7, 2013 @ 11:33 PM

After rewatching, I think the lines he was given at the end of the episode as Panry was a bit too wordy.  His first couple of lines were fine.  The "Let's play" line was also too hokey the way he delivered it, so they should have just used a take where he acted seriously and without that smile.

Tricksterson

Tricksterson

Fanatic

Posted Dec 9, 2013 @ 1:11 PM

Just have to say that i thought Jared knocked it out of the park last night.  He captured the facial tics and manipulativeness perfect.

Fable

Fable

Fanatic

Posted Dec 16, 2013 @ 8:13 PM

Another great performance by Jared as Panry.  I loved his scene at the well when he was casting the curse and explaining to Felix about how loved worked. 

I wasn't expecting a time jump, but I'm glad they went there.  I think it will help Henry's character a lot. 

Camera One

Camera One

Fanatic

Posted Dec 16, 2013 @ 9:04 PM

I really liked his scene by the well too.  He did a nice casual sort of evilness, with his cavalier tossing of ingredients, to his little self-satisfied smirk.  

I was a bit disappointed in his flashback scene with Mary Margaret and the book, though.   That was tougher since he's so much older but he could have smiled more.  But then again, that scene was supposed to show him losing hope before being given the book.  As I mentioned in the other thread, I just don't understand why they didn't pre-film that scene in Season 1 or even Season 2 would have been more believable than now.  They already knew Mary Margaret was going to give him the book anyway.  Wish the writers had a bit more foresight.

Edited by Camera One, Dec 16, 2013 @ 9:20 PM.

morning coffee

morning coffee

Channel Surfer

Posted Dec 16, 2013 @ 9:18 PM

What I liked about the scene with Ginny was his reaction to his vision of her looking like Snow.  I totally bought that as his a ha moment that he's surrounded by fairy tale characters.

Fable

Fable

Fanatic

Posted Dec 16, 2013 @ 9:21 PM

I was a bit disappointed in his scene with Snow, though.   That was tougher since he's so much older but he could have smiled more.  But then again, that scene was supposed to show him losing hope before being given the book.  As I mentioned in the other thread, I just don't understand why they didn't pre-film that scene in Season 1 or even Season 2 would have been more believable than now.  They already knew Mary Margaret was going to give him the book anyway.  Wish the writers had a bit more foresight.

That was probably the one scene I had the biggest problem with.  The intent of the scene itself was fine, but I was distracted by it because Mary Margaret is so obviously pregnant and Henry so obviously isn't 10.  I'm just hand waving it as 'one of those things'.  There was no way to predict how fast Jared would age or that Ginny would become pregnant, so I'm mostly okay with it. 

Cindy McLennan

Cindy McLennan

Network Executive

Posted Dec 22, 2013 @ 8:42 PM

Actually, I do think there was a way to predict how fast children change at that age. Ginnifer's pregnancy is a different story.

It's funny, I've watched a few season 2 episodes this weekend, including the last two. Even then Jared looked so much younger. He has changed so much from the S2 finale, I'd say it's unbelievable, if I didn't have a son the same age as Jared Gilmore. 

KAOSAgent

KAOSAgent

Couch Potato

Posted Dec 22, 2013 @ 8:53 PM

I was commenting to my mother how I thought Jared seemed to age even within an episode. She said that as a former middle school teacher, that's quite possible as she'd seen kids age over a weekend.

I'm really hoping that the writers will take advantage of this time jump and actually make Henry into a typical real world teenager. Beyond now being a teenager (which brings its own brand of fun for parents), a year in NYC with normal kids, not cursed 80s time warp fairy tale ones, should result in massive changes for the naive truest believer.

Cindy McLennan

Cindy McLennan

Network Executive

Posted Dec 22, 2013 @ 9:00 PM

I wish that instead of saying, "1 Year Later," the time jump chyron had read "March 8, 2014," or "March 9, 2014." Jared is just going to keep changing. To me, there seems to be little reason to keep the show's timeline so far behind the real calendar.

Fable

Fable

Fanatic

Posted Mar 10, 2014 @ 10:27 PM

I'm okay with the way they are dealing with Henry's aging process.  It seemed like it might become problematic, but I think they have addressed it fine. Granted, a year may not make a big difference, but sometimes it does.  I remember, like yesterday, one month my son was out building snowmen and the next month, he was shaving (I exaggerate, but still it happens fast). 

Edited by Fable, Mar 10, 2014 @ 10:40 PM.

Camera One

Camera One

Fanatic

Posted Mar 10, 2014 @ 11:14 PM

He already seemed older in this episode.  I hope Henry remembers soon though.  I miss the precocious magic loving kid already.  I figure they're doing this so Regina can go through some emotional turmoil at not being recognized?  I hope they don't go overboard with the whole Henry-becomes-closer-to-Regina-despite-not-remembering-her.  

Last Time Lord

Last Time Lord

Stalker

Posted Mar 20, 2014 @ 5:54 PM

Watching the early episodes with my mother, it's amazing how much he has grown over the course of the show.

How old was he in season one?

Camera One

Camera One

Fanatic

Posted Mar 20, 2014 @ 9:42 PM

He really was 11 years old in Season 1.  Now, he's almost 14, and I think on-screen Henry is supposed to be 13.

Tricksterson

Tricksterson

Fanatic

Posted Mar 24, 2014 @ 9:53 AM

No he was 10 in Season 1, was stated to be 11 during Season 2 and since a year has passed in story i would assume he's supposed to be 12.  He doesn't look it but at least they're doing a better job than Lost did with Walt.

Edited by Tricksterson, Mar 24, 2014 @ 9:54 AM.

Rumsy4

Rumsy4

Fanatic

Posted Mar 24, 2014 @ 12:55 PM

He doesn't look it but at least they're doing a better job than Lost did with Walt.

But apparently Snow is ready deliver in Storybrooke time, which means this half-season lasts at most for a few days. Jared will have another growth-spurt over the Summer hiatus. I wonder what goes on in those writers-meetings, because each season has progressively gone from spanning a year, to a couple of months, to a couple of weeks. 

Edited by Rumsy4, Mar 24, 2014 @ 12:55 PM.

Last Time Lord

Last Time Lord

Stalker

Posted Mar 24, 2014 @ 4:45 PM

No he was 10 in Season 1, was stated to be 11 during Season 2 and since a year has passed in story i would assume he's supposed to be 12.

We were talking about Jared, himself, not the Henry character.

Speaking of, I really liked his scene with Regina.