Welcome to Sweetie Pie's

• Please log in to reply

103 replies to this topic

Gloworm

Gloworm

Fanatic

Posted Oct 27, 2011 @ 4:01 PM

From the OWN website:

When Robbie Montgomery, a 1960's backup singer and former "Ikette" of the Ike and Tina Turner Revue, suffered a collapsed lung and had to stop singing, she decided to pour her talents into another creative venture -- a soul food restaurant called Sweetie Pie's. At her family-oriented eatery, which she runs with her son, Tim, both hilarity and drama are offered in equal measure.

I'm two episodes in and it's mildly entertaining. The show is quite obviously staged and scripted. I find the son Tim annoying but that could be because he doesn't act out his part of the "reality" just right. Or it could be his conehead haircut.
Right now, the show is focusing on Miss Robbie's efforts to open up a third location of Sweetie Pie's. I'd love to try the food some time!

ferrisave

ferrisave

Video Archivist

Posted Oct 27, 2011 @ 4:36 PM

Glo

I'm with you.....mildly entertaining. Miss Robbie seems like she was a real piston in her day. Tim is alright although even at 32 years old you can tell how much of a spoiled brat he is.

The little gay cousin makes me laugh though.

Mita_Jo

Mita_Jo

Fanatic

Posted Oct 27, 2011 @ 10:39 PM

Thanks for starting this thread, Gloworm. I love this show. It is entertaining and makes me want to go to St. Louis just to try the food. Ms. Robbie looks good for 70 years old. Her son is a bit annoying, and the haircut doesn't really work for him (or me, really). I kind of laughed at his song/proposal. I mean, she loved it, but I would have been pissed if my proposal was done in that setting.

Liquid6

Liquid6

Couch Potato

Posted Oct 28, 2011 @ 12:32 PM

The little gay cousin makes me laugh though.

The previews show him going out on a date...with a girl later in the season. I don't think he's gay.

itsmejessica

itsmejessica

Fanatic

Posted Oct 28, 2011 @ 8:25 PM

I'm really liking this show.I don't post much If I love a show, but this is a good show kind of diffrent in a good way than jersey shore and houswives.

akahlf

akahlf

Loyal Viewer

Posted Oct 29, 2011 @ 8:16 PM

I've watched this show only because there is nothing else on. I also find it mildly entertaining and I'm curious if Tim and his fiance will get married. Tim is a big mama's boy! He whines and complains too much for me...annoying. Ms. Robbie is a pistol!

ferrisave

ferrisave

Video Archivist

Posted Oct 29, 2011 @ 10:43 PM

Liquid

Me suspects he's doing that because he's probably fronting for the cameras. No straight teenager is that swishy, wears choker necklaces, and has a curl in his hair.

Gloworm

Gloworm

Fanatic

Posted Oct 30, 2011 @ 6:09 AM

A current teen that's more in the suave / playboy/ "pretty boy" style would look like Charles. I find him quite interesting as well. I noticed the latter episodes seem to have more of the younger set featured, especially server Jazzmin.

sereion

sereion

Fanatic

Posted Oct 30, 2011 @ 12:30 PM

I caught a few episodes last night, and it's pretty cute show. I love Robbie; she's so fiesty and stunning at 71. I like the puts her son--and her staff in their place when necessary. Her son is a bit of a crybaby, but he's okay. I hate mohawk haircuts; especially on him--which may explain why he looks like a conehead.

Charles can be a bit bratty, but he's funny and I like him. I also detect a feminine vibe from him, though.

I will keep watching just to see if she's able to open up another resturant.

redrobin27

redrobin27

Stalker

Posted Oct 30, 2011 @ 4:45 PM

I just watched the first episode online, and I was thoroughly confused by Tim's proposal. He decides to "propose" on the busiest day of the week to the mother of his child by "singing" some Twinkle song he wrote and not even ask "Will you marry me?" as part of it? Also, he had the nerve to ask his mother for the money to buy the engagement ring? The man is 32 years old! He strikes me as kind of dim, and Janae is rather silly, what with the "I ask three questions, which include felonies, but apparently it doesn't matter since the man I'm marrying is a convicted felon, and I get jealous and possessive if he dares to talk to a woman." Really, Janae?

Not to mention that Tim told his cousin, "I've been good ever since she got pregnant..." What the hell does that mean? They've been together for 3 years, and she's only six months pregnant. So...what was he doing before he impregnated her?

I hope Miss Robbie is successful with her third location. If she's not willing to put her home up as collateral, though, I'm not sure going with a different bank is the solution. Getting a construction loan is even tougher than it would have been a few years back, I imagine. She needs a good accountant, or someone who otherwise has sound business experience, to give it to her straight, no chaser. And Tim ain't it. I'm wondering what her profit margins are, especially since she's employing a fair share of family for her restaurants, and if she's hoping that the Upper Crust location will be a boost.

Gloworm

Gloworm

Fanatic

Posted Oct 31, 2011 @ 1:05 PM

If you haven't yet, check out the "Special Delivery" episode. It's the best yet and a tear jerker! I rarely tear up at TV shows but this episode was so heartfelt.

juniebaby

juniebaby

Loyal Viewer

Posted Nov 3, 2011 @ 4:04 PM

I watched a few episodes today because nothing else was on. I agree with most of you, I think it's an amusing show and I think it has a lot of possibilities. I don't think Miss Robbie would be an easy person to work for.

nodepth

nodepth

Video Archivist

Posted Nov 3, 2011 @ 4:37 PM

I like the show as well, it's what got me watching the network again. I watched it when if first started liked a couple of shows but then I lost interest. A week ago, I thought I'd check out the network again especially with Rosie's show coming on and I stumbled on Sweetie Pie's, now I'm kinda hooked on it.

I love Ms. Robbie. I know she's knows a thing or two about hard work. I think Ike Turner was something else, I think if you missed a note you'd be frying fish the next day under his reign. Point is, I know Ms. Robbie had to be a great singer and a great performer for Ike to keep her on his crew.

nicepebbles

nicepebbles

Fanatic

Posted Nov 4, 2011 @ 8:54 PM

I saw the title of this show as I was looking at the channel guide and was intrigued. I want to go to St. Louis so I can try some of her food. I wish her luck with her new venture.

I like Miss Robbie. She don't take no stuff as they say. She's probably a good person to hang around with. I'm sure she's got some stories.

I'm on the fence about Tim. He needs to grow up some more. (He reminds me of Dwayne "The Rock" Johnson as far as his features. Mr. Nice doesn't see it.) He's already stuck with Janae for at least 18 years because he got her pregnant. No way in hell would I propose to her if I was him with her jealously issues. That's a major turn off for me as far as her. I can't get pass that because she doesn't want to admit that she's the jealous type. She even uses being pregnant as an excuse. Your man works in a restaurant. He's going to come into contact with women. If you can't trust him or it it's not about trust, you just can't deal with him talking to another woman, you need to check yourself. Real good, too.

I don't like the nephew. He needs someone to put a "foot in his ass." He's too disrespectful and ungrateful for my tastes. I'm surprised Miss Robbie hasn't done it. The minute he said he doesn't like me, end of story; be gone. I think my jaw dropped when I saw the previews with him going a date with a girl. He could be 'the 'suave / playboy/ "pretty boy"' type. But I higly doubt it. If I was a girl, I'm pretty sure if he asked me out, I'd say no unless it was a date between friends.

USMgal04

USMgal04

Just Tuned In

Posted Nov 5, 2011 @ 5:42 PM

I've only gotten to see the previews On Demand because I don't get OWN but I can say that the food is amazing as it looks on tv. It's one of my favorite places to eat. I've never been there when it wasn't a madhouse. I'm curious to see if they end up with another location. This will be the second try on adding another restaurant. There was one opened across the river in a town called Granite City that didn't last very long at all. It was definitely the location because the people that work there are lovely.

Talented Tenth

Talented Tenth

Couch Potato

Posted Nov 6, 2011 @ 1:32 AM

I haven't seen every single episode so far, but I don't like Jenae. She seems like a nag and I haven't seen a caring moment from her so far.

Tim needs to lose the hairstyle. He's attractive, but that fauxhawk makes his head look like an egg.

Edited to correct the spelling of "Jenae".

Edited by Talented Tenth, Nov 6, 2011 @ 7:47 AM.

HaveMetalIssues

HaveMetalIssues

Couch Potato

Posted Nov 6, 2011 @ 3:06 AM

Oh wow, imagine my surprise! I live in St. Louis and love Sweetie Pie's, about fell out of my chair when Dr. Blaskiewicz appeared!!! He has been my OB/GYN since 1994 when I was pregnant with my daughter. He delivered her in 1995, then in 1997 he delivered my son. He is an awesome doctor with an amazing beside manner, I adore him!

Edited by HaveMetalIssues, Nov 6, 2011 @ 3:14 AM.

Gloworm

Gloworm

Fanatic

Posted Nov 6, 2011 @ 7:26 AM

A frame of reference for Charles' look would be the character of "Keenan" on BET's "Reed Between the Lines". Charles' style doesn't look that off-base to me.

I feel that Janae and Tim's relationship portrayal has been so scripted and set up that I can't join the anti-Janae train. The first time I got a feeling of *real life* from them was the baby episode. I guess a moment like that is hard for reality show producers to arrange. :-) ("Hey, we need to deliver now. It's gonna have great emotional impact on the late October shows and hit home with the demos!")

If Sweetie Pie's is a madhouse on the regular, this show is going to make business even crazier. Good for them.

sereion

sereion

Fanatic

Posted Nov 6, 2011 @ 10:13 AM

I'm trying to figure out what happened with "Pops" did he cook the food in the resturant tried to make a profit under the table?

Mita_Jo

Mita_Jo

Fanatic

Posted Nov 6, 2011 @ 12:05 PM

I'm trying to figure out what happened with "Pops" did he cook the food in the resturant tried to make a profit under the table?

The way I understood it, it brought his ribs into the restaurant and seasonsed them only. The problem is that its against the rules to bring outside food in because then it causes confusion, such as them thinking that he stole the ribs. That's why they made him show the receipt. Didn't help that he lied and said that he never brought them inside, only that he'd drove them there for his friend to pick up. The co-worker busted him when she said that she saw him with them inside and that he was seasonsing them. I don't think he was selling them, probably just for his friend/family or whatever.

I wasn't a Jenae fan either, mainly because I thought she was trying way too hard/going in too hard in the earlier episodes, which probably was producer related. The jealousy thing was so embarrassing, I can't see her being like that in real life. But the baby stuff has made me like her more. If Miss Robbie didn't like her, I'd feel different. As stated above, she don't take no stuff, so the fact that she loves Jenae so much (and Tim is a mama's boy) makes me believe that she's a good person.

Charles seems to really be playing a character. I honestly can't believe that he's allowed to behave this way and still keep his job. Family or not, if he's a hindurance to the process, he needs to go. Get him a job in the real world and see how long he can get away with slacking. And he doesn't drive apparently, seeing that his dad had to drive him to work. I wish I had it that easy.

juniebaby

juniebaby

Loyal Viewer

Posted Nov 6, 2011 @ 3:56 PM

I too am enjoying the show. I do think Miss Robbie can be an over bearing person to deal with and she definitely demands a lot from her son. I would not want her to be my Mother-in Law. I also can't help but feel her 1st priority is her restaurant. Her son and everyone else comes next.

Liquid6

Liquid6

Couch Potato

Posted Nov 6, 2011 @ 5:19 PM

At 30 something years old, Tim shouldn't be her first priority. Her restaurant serves as her purpose for keeping active in her golden years, and that's fine. One thing I find very endearing if others have noticed is that she has nothing but good things to say about Ike Turner. I always felt bad that his entire legacy has been reduced to the Tina Turner movie.

juniebaby

juniebaby

Loyal Viewer

Posted Nov 7, 2011 @ 8:51 AM

I agree that Tim is a grown man and I understand why you feel family can come second, but when she heard him on the phone breaking down about there being problems with the baby and they were going to deliver it early, how could a Mom not rush over to her only child to console them. Relationships come and go, restaurants and businesses fail and in the end what you have is your family, he needed her then, and I just felt she took her time getting there. If it were something small I would understand, but it was a life and death situation for the baby and surgery for Janae. He was breaking down and needed someone to support him.

Gloworm

Gloworm

Fanatic

Posted Nov 7, 2011 @ 12:30 PM

I agree that Tim is a grown man and I understand why you feel family can come second, but when she heard him on the phone breaking down about there being problems with the baby and they were going to deliver it early, how could a Mom not rush over to her only child to console them.

I found that odd as well. I can't imagine staying at work if a child was in need. Tim is grown and technically doesn't need Mom as much. But when life and death are on the line, he needed her ASAP.
But maybe he learned from Mom about urgent needs considering how he's been portrayed as more focused on the gym and restaurant than being there for Tim Jr & Janae. He doesn't seem to have digested that he's a parent now.

Charles was time filler in this most recent episode. That ad was useless.

I'm not sure why a non-working cash register would shy investors away. It happens. I'm also not sure why Miss Robbie was surprised that investors would take more of an active role (or at least have some say) in the business. They aren't just handing over their cash for nothing.

The previews for next week showed Tim in a barber chair. Holding out hope that he reconsiders the fauxhawk.

nicepebbles

nicepebbles

Fanatic

Posted Nov 7, 2011 @ 5:53 PM

USMgal04, I thought they were trying to add a 3rd location. Or did I misunderstand? I though they had the original location and the one they film at now.

If Miss Robbie didn't like her, I'd feel different. As stated above, she don't take no stuff, so the fact that she loves Jenae so much (and Tim is a mama's boy) makes me believe that she's a good person.

The reason why Miss Robbie's liking Jenae hasn't sold me on Jenae is because of how Miss Robbie acted with the wedding ring. Once I found out my son wanted the ring I liked for his girlfriend, I would've shut my mouth. I wouldn't have made it about choosing between the girlfriend or me. That wasn't right. So as my mom and grandmom will say, "She got some stuff with her." And because she seems to baby Charles which is the last thing he needs.

Charles doesn't drive because he wrecked like 6 cars. I can't remember the exact number.

I found that odd as well. I can't imagine staying at work if a child was in need. Tim is grown and technically doesn't need Mom as much. But when life and death are on the line, he needed her ASAP.
But maybe he learned from Mom about urgent needs considering how he's been portrayed as more focused on the gym and restaurant than being there for Tim Jr & Janae. He doesn't seem to have digested that he's a parent now.

I, too, thought the minute she heard Tim breaking down she should've made it her business to get to the hospital. Under the circumstances, the restaurant could've waited. Plus, given that he has to be strong for Jenae he would need a shoulder to cry on since everyone else at the hospital seemed to be on Jenae's side, as in parents, best friend, etc...

You'd think as a new mom, I'd be more on Jenae's side. I think Tim is doing what someone needs to do. The world doesn't stop because the baby came early. As in somebody got's to make sure the roof hasn't caved in, the dog gets walked and fed, money is still coming into the house, etc... Hopefully family and friends are pitching in but they might not be for whatever reason. IMO Jenae should be happy about that if she really thought about it. I think being a parent hasn't totally sunk in for him. I also think he's doing the right thing but not going crazy by sitting in the hospital all day and night. Taking your mind off it for awhile has got to help. She went to the restaurant and the world didn't end.

Neither is right. Neither is wrong. So they shouldn't be getting mad at the other. They need to definitely learn to communicate and be understanding. If this child has a lot of medical needs, they'll need to be one team. A lot of times you hear about couples that have kids with special needs or who pass away, end up splitting up. It seems to me to always be about lack of communication and an understanding of the other's feelings.

mochamajesty

mochamajesty

Fanatic

Posted Nov 12, 2011 @ 7:28 PM

I am trying to find someone to like on this show. I am failing miserably.

Robbie seems like a woman who thinks she was more important than she really was. Did anyone remember Robbie as an Ikette? I told my mom about the show.

Me: It's about a former Ikette.
Mom (who is 61): What is an Ikette?
Me: The background singers for Ike Turner.
Mom: Oh. Why would I care about a former Ikette? No one remembers them.

Ms. Robbie is acting like she is a former Supreme or something.

The reason why Miss Robbie's liking Jenae hasn't sold me on Jenae is because of how Miss Robbie acted with the wedding ring. Once I found out my son wanted the ring I liked for his girlfriend, I would've shut my mouth. I wouldn't have made it about choosing between the girlfriend or me. That wasn't right.

I agree; it made Robbie look so childish.

Janae seems very young. And the way that she dresses! Those short skirts, showing cleavage. Boo, you are about to be a mother...cover up a little. And the jealousy thing must be for the show. Who in the hell would want Tim? Has he cheated before?

Edited by mochamajesty, Nov 12, 2011 @ 7:30 PM.

ferrisave

ferrisave

Video Archivist

Posted Nov 12, 2011 @ 9:09 PM

Ms. Robbie is acting like she is a former Supreme or something.

Mocha

Ike Turner's band was a pretty big deal in the early 60's thru the early 70's Being that Ike is from St. Louis I can imagine that out there it carries a lot of clout. I'm sure there were a ton of women back then who would've tried out and Robbie made it. There weren't the Supremes but it meant a lot back then.

I wonder if Robbie has any contact with Tina.

And the jealousy thing must be for the show. Who in the hell would want Tim? Has he cheated before?

Apparently Tim was cheating on Janae left and right. Don't know if you saw the episode where he was shopping for a ring for Janae but he had a conversation with his cousin where she asked him something like "why are you getting engaged when you have all these other women?" and he said "i've been good SINCE I found out she was pregnant" (at the time she was about 4-5 months along) so it's no secret he cheats on her.

I can't believe Tim did 10 years in jail. He doesn't act thuggish at all. He acts pretty soft and spoiled to me. Maybe he's changed since then.

Edited by ferrisave, Nov 12, 2011 @ 9:14 PM.

SouthsideofNo

SouthsideofNo

Video Archivist

Posted Nov 12, 2011 @ 9:12 PM

I felt the same way. It seemed like she finished out the day at the restaurant then went home to change clothes before finally making it to the hospital. I expected her to high tail it out of there to the hospital the minute the call came through not stop to put on her Sunday's best before checking in.

I do get a vibe that Ms. Robbie would not be very pleasant to work for but she seems to be a sharp business lady so I can appreciate thtat. Really enjoying the show so far.

redrobin27

redrobin27

Stalker

Posted Nov 12, 2011 @ 9:15 PM

Thank you for bringing me to tears (of laughter), mochamajesty. The exchange between you and your mom was priceless.

Who in the hell would want Tim? Has he cheated before?

It seemed to be implied that Tim wasn't exactly faithful when he spoke with his cousin about marrying Janae. So I would not be surprised if he has.

About the ring - wasn't it around $5,000? I didn't understand 1) why it was necessary to get a ring that expensive with a baby on the way, and 2) why Tim would buy a ring he presumably couldn't afford, since he asked his mama for a loan. I'm thinking Tim is about as wasteful and thoughtless as his mama (by her own admission) has been about money.

Turkish

Turkish

Stalker

Posted Nov 12, 2011 @ 10:08 PM

Marissa from Spain was such a cutie. Waaayy out of Charles' league. I knew that wasn't going anywhere fast. Charles didn't have any money. He didn't even have a car. And I can't believe he asked her if she had money for a taxi. By her response it sounded like she might have already been paying for the date as it was.

Janae sounds like she's crazy about Tim and I can't figure out why. Is Tim really that big of a catch?