Nitpicks & Continuity: Where Are All The Flies?

• Please log in to reply

1195 replies to this topic

kikismom

kikismom

Video Archivist

Posted Mar 18, 2014 @ 8:26 AM

We had a conversation about how half the population walking around today wouldn't be around in early eras because what we think of as manageable "conditions" would make you unable to survive without modern medical improvements and technology. Just think of the (very high) percentage of western-world people with diabetes. I guess they'd be gone fast even without a walker/marauder attack. On a lighter note, why don't any of these people even get pimples. God only knows what kind of contamination they've had on their skin and they seem to be a little light on soap and water. And what will happen to the few babies, like Judith, that are complicated enough to keep alive but will never get a vaccination for polio or diptheria or smallpox? Some people mistakenly believe that all those diseases were wiped out; no, we've spent squillions worldwide to make humans immune. Every year they find a few squirrels or other animals in western states with bubonic plague. (Daryl, cook meat thoroughly. I laughed in the rattlesnake scene because I worked in my younger days at a park where the head honcho would have nightime parties for his society friends and they would ooh and ahh at how adventurous they were to eat gator meat and rattlesnake "canapes". They didn't know that after we'd kill and skin the snakes we had to hang up the carcass for a day to let the worms come out.) And our heroes constantly just plop down on the ground or sit on a log--sometimes in the dark--which I would never do becaue of the snakes and spiders. (I had one spider bite from 2005 that's just now starting to heal and I had a shitload of antibiotics.) How can so much time go by and aside from Glenn getting the Prison Crud, none of these people with poor diets and no vitamins or dental care not be riddled with illness? Not even bad complexions. I guess like pooping and menstruation, some things are more unacceptable on television than, say, child murder.

whiskeysour

whiskeysour

Just Tuned In

Posted Mar 18, 2014 @ 8:42 AM

Regarding the contact lenses- I am nearsighted as hell and would be completely screwed in the event of a ZA without either contacts or glasses. My vision is so bad I'm not even a candidate for laser eye surgery. First sign of things going wrong I'm stocking up on extralenses and solution, and getting several backup pairs of glasses. Because without that I couldn't recognize a walker from across a room, let alone try to escape from one.

Doom

Doom

Stalker

Posted Mar 18, 2014 @ 9:40 AM

kikismom, you're completely right with regard to the illnesses and the crud and the diseases and bugs. They should be suffering from way more than we see. It wouldn't bother me nearly as much as it does, but the people on the show mention it often enough during production yet it never makes its way onscreen. Back during the early seasons, they talked about how they gave the actors peppermint soap to put on their skin for shooting to keep the ticks and bugs away. But you never see them so much as swat a fly off their sweaty necks.

They go into these houses with dead bodies and rotting bodies, messes of food and other items, and you never see the "critters" that you should. I guess they feel like they show enough gross stuff that the audience can't take one seeing Tyrese wake up on the train tracks with ants all over his arm wound, but even if we just got one moment like that a season, it would go a long way for me. Because seeing something like Daryl getting stung by a wasp and having a swollen hand that made it hard for him to shoot his crossbow normally, would highlight how so many things we take for granted (benadryl, antiseptics, anti-inflammatory medicine) enhance our lives.

MizzKay

MizzKay

Channel Surfer

Posted Mar 18, 2014 @ 10:44 AM

Exactly as the topic title says, where are all the flies?  All the easily treatable maladies that OTC meds provide would be tough to come by in the ZA.  The show should at least have a throw away comment here and there - "Rick is grumpy today because he has a bunch of mosquito bites and he didn't get much sleep last night."  or "I'd like to help you gather firewood, but if I get stung by a bee, I'll die."

icouldntresist

icouldntresist

Couch Potato

Posted Mar 18, 2014 @ 10:49 AM

The recent episode "The Grove" concerning Lizzie's mental state makes me wonder about the fates of people in the ZA who suffered with some kind of physical or mental conditions.  TWD doesn't really show any survivors that are infirm, paraplegic, blind (pirate patch doesn't count), deaf, mentally challenged etc.(I would imagine that they were some of the first to succumb to the walker onslaught - having all 5 senses and mobility is essential). However, apparently there is a plethora of "mentally disturbed" folks flourishing in Georgia.  The ZA world seems overrun with rapists, pedophiles, psychopaths, sociopaths, narcissists, and just plain loonies. Why did these folks flourish through all the devastation, while the somewhat mentally stable "nice" people seem to be prime fodder for a walker's dinner?

They could've had them stumble across a mental institution or something instead doing Dead Girls Walking.  But that is something to be addressed-what about those who had disadvantages/disabilities to begin with.

I would venture to say those with poor impulse control would probably fall prey first. They might react quickly but if they don't think about consequences in the modern world they wouldn't think about consequences in apocalypse world where you frequently just have to react without thinking.

Also with the smoldering walkers- walkers don't burn up?

diebartdie

diebartdie

Couch Potato

Posted Mar 18, 2014 @ 10:53 AM

I reckon some of the walkers did burn up.

kikismom

kikismom

Video Archivist

Posted Mar 18, 2014 @ 11:36 AM

They could easily incorporate a remark here and there about bug bites.I can't understand how Carol and Tyreese were able to find such a nice cottage--clearing walkers would be easier than trying to clear the swarms of cockroaches that would have taken over.

Speaking of being unable to get firewood because of insect venom allergy, I admit when they had found that grove of pecan trees I did think "watch these kids have a tree-nut allergy and go into anaphylactic shock".

Whiskysour: go to survival suggestions thread I posted a comment about eyeglasses replacement.

I believe Scott Wilson lost some weight between the last filming of season 2 and the beginning of season 3; with the beard and longer hair, Herschel was the most believable as having been living rough all winter. Near the end of season 4, how Tyreese doesn't look any slimmer, or Maggie or Bob...I think most of them should look a lot skinnier.

Edited by kikismom, Mar 18, 2014 @ 11:39 AM.

Doom

Doom

Stalker

Posted Mar 18, 2014 @ 2:22 PM

I agree with you kikismom, most of them should be thinning out. I'll give them credit for the hair though. I ended up needing to rewatch early episodes from seasons one and two and man. Rick looks positively angelic compared to how he looks now. Rick's hair has gotten super long and scraggly. I wonder if since he's the main character they just focus all the transition continuity stuff on him.

mandolin

mandolin

Loyal Viewer

Posted Mar 18, 2014 @ 2:38 PM

Rick's physical transformation is pretty amazing to me. I kind of forgive them on the weight thing. I didn't watch Lost, but I remember hearing that Hurley was going to lose weight. That never happened, IIRC.

Overall they could probably look rattier, but I think they do look pretty grimy. I excuse the teeth and body hair issue. I'd rather not see that anyway.

Edited by mandolin, Mar 18, 2014 @ 2:39 PM.

Puds38

Puds38

Stalker

Posted Mar 18, 2014 @ 5:24 PM

I think the weight thing really depends on the actor. I can see an old school actor like Scott Wilson losing weight, but not these younger actors. Especially knowing they would need to maintain that lower weight for the remainder of the show.

Fungi Wisdom

Fungi Wisdom

Couch Potato

Posted Mar 18, 2014 @ 6:11 PM

I'm near sighted so I'd have to find an eyeglass chain and wear it like a stereotypical librarian and treasure my back up glasses more than any other object. I won't even get started on the essential need for a good pair of shoes or hiking boots. 

kikismom

kikismom

Video Archivist

Posted Mar 24, 2014 @ 7:24 AM

I am not a CSI, but I have always heard that bullets travel along walls; even with BB guns they tell you that lead shot will squash on impact but composition pellets will ricochet and can accidently hit someone from a different angle. I have heard that around concrete walls a 22 will travel, and that even in the human body, a 22 can be more dangerous because it won't travel straight through the body, it can carom off a rib or something and pinball around your organs.

I didn't get too picky when Beth fired the gun straight up at the ceiling in the prison---the prison that was not made of balsa wood---but now we have sprays of gunfire at the inside of a concrete tunnel? If someone can give more informed knowledge on how well that would work out, I thank you in advance.

the boxer

the boxer

Couch Potato

Posted Mar 25, 2014 @ 8:43 PM

Considering that one is wearing a fur-lined jacket and the other has no coat on at all, shouldn't we have either Rick sweating or Bob shivering? And how does Rick even have his jacket? He escaped through a window of a bedroom he wasn't using and hadn't been carrying it when he went in that room, so when did he get it?

My other nitpick is the inconsistency in turning time amongst the recently deceased. Amy took overnight before she turned, Lily had time to carry Megan who knows how far without her turning, yet Shane, the old guy in Milton's lab, and the guy Rick killed in the bedroom all turned almost immediately. So how long does it take?

I know the show won't ever answer it, but how did Sophia die? If she'd been killed by walkers, wouldn't they have eaten her? She didn't seem to be missing any body parts when she stumbled out of the barn, so is it likely she died some other way?

burrito

burrito

Loyal Viewer

Posted Mar 25, 2014 @ 9:18 PM

And how does Rick even have his jacket? He escaped through a window of a bedroom he wasn't using and hadn't been carrying it when he went in that room, so when did he get it?

Watch the scene again.  He pitched it out of the window before he climbed out onto the roof.  Then he donned it.  

KirkB

KirkB

Fanatic

Posted Mar 26, 2014 @ 12:40 AM

My other nitpick is the inconsistency in turning time amongst the recently deceased. Amy took overnight before she turned, Lily had time to carry Megan who knows how far without her turning, yet Shane, the old guy in Milton's lab, and the guy Rick killed in the bedroom all turned almost immediately. So how long does it take?

Way back at the end of season one, Jenner (the CDC guy) said the turning time seems to vary, from a few minutes to several hours. This, of course, is simply a way of explaining writer fiat, ie it happens however fast or slow an individual writer/director wants it to.

I know the show won't ever answer it, but how did Sophia die? If she'd been killed by walkers, wouldn't they have eaten her? She didn't seem to be missing any body parts when she stumbled out of the barn, so is it likely she died some other way?

Well, she did have a big chunk taken out of her shoulder/neck, so the best I can figure a walker bit her and the 12 year old child somehow managed to get away before presumably dying from blood loss or something. Honestly, that whole thing was so badly done...

Edited by KirkB, Mar 26, 2014 @ 12:44 AM.

the boxer

the boxer

Couch Potato

Posted Mar 26, 2014 @ 7:14 AM

My question isn't how Rick got his jacket out of the house, it's how did the jacket get in the bedroom in the first place? He doesn't have it with him when he hides in there.

nodorothyparker

nodorothyparker

Loyal Viewer

Posted Mar 26, 2014 @ 7:33 AM

I always chalked Sophia up to the show needing her to be clearly recognizable and able to stumble out of the barn.  Had she been completely torn apart the way the way they seem to want to depict kills in show time, neither would have been possible.

Maybe it's a swarm vs. lone walker you could presumably escape from only to die later thing?  My husband has theorized that a majority of the walkers we've seen have been largely intact except for face, neck, or shoulder wounds, meaning they would have been bitten in a pretty close up and personal situation with a single walker and then somehow managed to get away before any further damage could be inflicted.  Maybe Sophia was bitten by a smaller single walker while Otis and later Jimmy were overrun?  Or maybe my husband's spending more time than the show trying to make it make sense.

burrito

burrito

Loyal Viewer

Posted Mar 26, 2014 @ 7:58 AM

My question isn't how Rick got his jacket out of the house, it's how did the jacket get in the bedroom in the first place? He doesn't have it with him when he hides in there.

Oh, well, I've always assumed it belonged to an occupant of the house.  Maybe it was thrown over a chair or hanging in a closet.  He spied it and grabbed it on his way out.  

I'm curious to see if his jeans still have a bullet hole in the left thigh.   

Edited by burrito, Mar 26, 2014 @ 7:59 AM.

KirkB

KirkB

Fanatic

Posted Mar 26, 2014 @ 1:01 PM

It's not so much Sophia only having a bite taken out of her neck I have a problem with. She gets grabbed and bitten but twists out of its grip, fine. I've got more of an issue with either a dying or dead Sophia just happening to wander in the direction of Hershel's farm, as opposed to all of the other directions she could have gone, just in time to get caught by Otis before he dies.

CarpeDiem54

CarpeDiem54

Couch Potato

Posted Mar 29, 2014 @ 6:10 PM

Here's something minor that's bugged me for a long time.  It's the way that Rick, and now Abe, pronounce the word "scientist".  I know people from Georgia and none of them say "signtist".  And both Rick and Abe say it exactly the same way.  Very annoying.

mandolin

mandolin

Loyal Viewer

Posted Mar 29, 2014 @ 7:38 PM

We were laughing at that last night. I hear it as more "Sci-in-TIST" and sometimes the last syllable lasts about three beats.

We do sometimes get the "ah" sound instead if the long "I" 'round these parts. "Ah like to eat squirrel." I try to avoid that though as I didn't walk off the Gone With the Wind set.

I'd agree that the accents aren't consistent among the group or in all instances of an actor's speech.

Edited by mandolin, Mar 29, 2014 @ 7:39 PM.

vitametavegamin

vitametavegamin

Channel Surfer

Posted Mar 31, 2014 @ 3:48 AM

In the flashback scenes in the finale today, it became very apparent that the baby has gone from being around a seven-month-old, to a toddler whose feet stick out of her car seat, to back to being a baby, and finally to being the size of a newborn infant that can fit inside a small papoose.

Luckedout

Luckedout

Video Archivist

Posted Mar 31, 2014 @ 7:23 AM

When the Termites were herding Rick & co, I was kinda miffed there weren't any scorch marks from the bullets on the ground at the start. The next area was full of them. Also, they didn't seem to worried about stray bullets or ricochets with their own people nearby.

BruceB

BruceB

Just Tuned In

Posted Mar 31, 2014 @ 11:19 AM

In the flashback scenes in the finale today, it became very apparent that the baby has gone from being around a seven-month-old, to a toddler whose feet stick out of her car seat, to back to being a baby, and finally to being the size of a newborn infant that can fit inside a small papoose.

TV babies have a tendency to be shape and size shifters, depending on the needs of the plot. It is especially bad in flashbacks.

Edited by BruceB, Mar 31, 2014 @ 7:37 PM.

lulee

lulee

Stalker

Posted Mar 31, 2014 @ 12:18 PM

TV have a tendency to be shape and size shifters, depending on the needs of the plot. It is especially bad in flashbacks.

Yeah, with Hershel's line about them having been at the prison 2 months (I think that's what he said), Judith should have been much smaller. Keeping track of her age in the timeline would have helped convey the timeline more clearly for the audience.

kikismom

kikismom

Video Archivist

Posted Apr 2, 2014 @ 12:25 PM

I mentioned in the Zombie Haiku about the barb wire; it isn't just in the background; the writers know the characters are going over the fence. Just put fakes up there, something soft plastic that looks like the real thing. Showing us a fence topped with barb wire that magically disappears when people climb over the top is sheer laziness. Faking so many other things, like zombies, can be expensive or difficult so there's no excuse to be able to do that but not the easier things.