Lana Parrilla as Evil Queen Regina: The Only Happy Ending Will Be Hers

• Please log in to reply

1839 replies to this topic

Houddy

Houddy

Stalker

Posted Apr 9, 2012 @ 8:27 PM

Maybe I read into these things too much, or maybe Lana is just a fantastic fucking actress, but I find that as an example of when her lashing out is because of the pain she feels and her fear of being rejected by her son.

Lana does a freaking fantastic job of keeping Regina from becoming cartoon evil. Regina/Evil Queen could easily have been a laughable character, chewing scenery and coming off as a joke, but honestly I find Regina Mills' cold, quiet vengeance terrifying. The way she confronted Mary Margaret in the cell, told her she knew she was innocent of killing Katherine but still revealing in the fact that MM was going down for a crime she didn't commit was chilling.

I totally get people just flat out hating Regina, but as a character I find her fascinating, mesmerizing and awesome. And Lana gives those of us who want to delve deep into the psychology behind her evil plenty to chew on and I love the actress for that. I love an actor/actress who really thinks about their characters motives and insists that there be motives. It challenges the writers because I feel like she won't let them get away with making Regina do something just because they think it would be cool or to fit the story. Lana seems like she will find a way to make it fit the character first. I love actors who are protective of their characters.

And yes, I'm pretty sure I have a girl crush on her so I'm Team Regina no matter what she does. She could pop the heads off puppies while dancing across the backs of small children and I think I'd still love her. Especially if she did it with that low, simmering loathing that Regina does so well.

Ameristar

Ameristar

Channel Surfer

Posted Apr 9, 2012 @ 9:46 PM

Oh I TOTALLY.have a huge lesbian crush on Lana. So I will def have a soft spot for her character, that's for sure. Also we're both half PR, so I gots to root for my people, right? ;)

ChelleNic

ChelleNic

Channel Surfer

Posted Apr 10, 2012 @ 12:20 AM

I'm loving the discussion about Regina's past and how the abuse from her mother started her on this path of evil and destruction. And I agree with Ameristar, Houddy & Aliasscape about the fact that to truly even begin to understand Regina's character, you have to look at the psychological aspect of it. She is a deeply damaged person who seems to be searching for some type of love or compassion that she didn't receive from Cora (through her craziness and Henry (from his cowardness). Of course the things she has done are inexcusable but her mother's abuse is most definitely the start of Regina's destruction of Fairy Tale Land, the residents' happiness and her happiness as well.

I just find her very interesting and that has alot to do with Lana's portrayal of Regina/Evil Queen and her understanding of her character. As you can see in this video where she explains her thought process of Regina's hate for Snow while she was filming the 1x18 ep. It is truly fascinating to see her add some many layers to what could have been a one-dimensional character...and it doesn't hurt that I also have a girl-crush on her.

MorninStar

MorninStar

Fanatic

Posted Apr 10, 2012 @ 2:29 AM

Lana does an incredible job, however I would think it's a tad easier to portray (TWO!) characters that we pretty much know what her motives are, who she is targeting, what she's done and what she intends to happen, etc.. It's got to be a bit more difficult for characters who (most likely) have not been told what their full role is.. and with whom the writers want to maintain a bit of mystery/not give away too much plot.

Irish64

Irish64

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 10, 2012 @ 9:58 AM

I totally get people just flat out hating Regina, but as a character I find her fascinating, mesmerizing and awesome. And Lana gives those of us who want to delve deep into the psychology behind her evil plenty to chew on and I love the actress for that. I love an actor/actress who really thinks about their characters motives and insists that there be motives. It challenges the writers because I feel like she won't let them get away with making Regina do something just because they think it would be cool or to fit the story. Lana seems like she will find a way to make it fit the character first. I love actors who are protective of their characters.

I agree and I can do you one more, I am a big homo and I got a big homo crush on Lana/Regina, and not in a "Giirrrlll, your fabulous," kind of way, more in a "Ah, no need to have the guards take me to your bed chamber, I am already there!" Lana just has this amazing sexuality that she brings to the role that coupled with the vunerability takes the Queen out of cartoon territory.

I know most of the posters on here are more Rumple fans, or somehow find his evilness to be "less," uh, evil then Regina's and because we all think that his endgame is to break the curse and get his humanity back. I think its also easier to like him as the excuse can be given that he is not as responsible for his darkness as Regina is. While I think Rumple is a cool villian, I think that very reason, that somehow he did not ask to be evil, (which I would disagree with but that is another argument) makes him a less interesting to me. I love a villain that you see how they developed and why they are there. I also find Regina more relatable...as we all have been hurt and rejected and lost things, and lashed out (not so dramatically but....) I think a villian is more interesting if you can look at him/her and say, "There but for the grace of God go I." Rumple's curse doesn't do it for me.

I agree with the poster up thread where you can the emotions on Lana's face, and each time she lashes out it is because of hurt, or anger of course, but I also see fear on her face. Regina is desperatley afraid of loosing what is hers, be it Henry, the underwear model sheriff, or her power. There is that scared little girl underneath everything Regina does and kudos to Lana to make us see that. Rumple is just a creepy freak to me, like the werid perv down the block (but as I said, he is great villian the actor does a great job too, his back story just doesnt do it for me.)

legaleagle44

legaleagle44

Stalker

Posted Apr 10, 2012 @ 12:15 PM

Congratulations to Lana for winning the TV Guide Fan Favorite Award for Best TV Villain!

Edited by legaleagle44, Apr 10, 2012 @ 12:15 PM.

Ameristar

Ameristar

Channel Surfer

Posted Apr 10, 2012 @ 3:10 PM

Well Irish, then it appears that we have something in common. I would not kick Lana Parrilla out of my bed for eating crackers, that's for sure. Cleavage!

Edited by Ameristar, Apr 10, 2012 @ 3:18 PM.

ChelleNic

ChelleNic

Channel Surfer

Posted Apr 10, 2012 @ 3:34 PM

Congratulations to Lana for winning the TV Guide Fan Favorite Award for Best TV Villain!

Well good for her, seems we are not the only ones that loves (or loves to hate) her character.

Houddy

Houddy

Stalker

Posted Apr 10, 2012 @ 5:22 PM

I also find Regina more relatable...as we all have been hurt and rejected and lost things, and lashed out (not so dramatically but....) I think a villian is more interesting if you can look at him/her and say, "There but for the grace of God go I."

That is actually a huge part of the characters appeal for me. I can see the most frightening aspects of myself in Regina. Were it not for a lack of self confidence that I could get away with such evil deeds and my absolute aversion to prison I could be Regina. I know what it's like to be jealous of someone else's life and I know what it's like to let that jealousy eat away at you.I have a domineering mother (though no where near as horrible as Cora) so I know what it's like to feel like you have no control as a child and want to grow up with absolute control over everything because of it. I guess I just get Regina, for better or more likely worse. And because of that my heart breaks for the person she could have been had she not been so horribly damaged in her youth.

And I too love how Lana allows that scared, powerless, unloved little girl to peek through.

I love both Rumple and Regina for different reasons. I think Rumple's character is less complex mainly because his evil is the result of one moment. He killed the Dark One and became the Dark One. That's pretty much it. He doesn't have the option of making the right or wrong choices. He just is what he is. And Robert does it so beautifully that it feels more complex than it really is. I love their scene's together because they are both so amazing and inhabit their characters so completely. But I digress.

Regina, OTOH, is evil because of life, not just one event but a series of things that have happened to her and choices she has made. I don't believe that one moment made her the Evil Queen. Based on what we've seen of her that just doesn't work. If anything it was the moment she chose a path that would lead her to the Evil Queen. But there will surely be many other moments when she has a choice to make and choses to stay on the path toward Evil Queen. At any moment she could have made a different choice and perhaps lead a different life but she made her choices. People say this makes her more evil and I'm not debating that because I really don't care who is the evilest of the all. What it makes her for me is a very complex and compelling character whom I love to watch.

I hope that they slowly reveal her transformation, pealing away the layers of bitterness, anger, resentment and hate like an onion, and I just know Lana will nail every small change and evolution of the character. She really is a joy to watch.

Sorry for the long post but Evil Queen Regina Mills is one of my favorite characters of all time and I could talk about her for ages.

MorninStar

MorninStar

Fanatic

Posted Apr 10, 2012 @ 7:20 PM

Regina's mother was(?) obviously a horrible mother. What makes women/mothers/parents like her so horrid is that they convince their children that the abuse is 'for their own good'. What I'd really like to know more about is the role her father (Henry) played in all of this. Regina is fortunate that she seemed to have at least one parent who loved her and doted on her (compared to many abused children who have nobody). I'd really like to have that dynamic explored.. as he seems to be such a puzzle. How did he come to be married to Cora (who obviously was poor, but now she has the power & he is ?? so weak, power-less and subservient. How did he come to be a servant to Regina? And then.. she ripped his heart out. A weird puzzle. Oh, and of course, what happened to Cora?

Edited by MorninStar, Apr 10, 2012 @ 7:21 PM.

ViciousCircle

ViciousCircle

Video Archivist

Posted Apr 10, 2012 @ 10:50 PM

The thing that just crushes me about Regina is that even if she weren't abused, even if she had the healthiest upbringing in the history of upbringings, she still had no chance given what happened from the instant Cora killed Daniel on. The most stable person in the world could not watch one's mother murder one's lover, and then immediately after a) be taken from one's own home and land b)be forced into marriage c)be faced with the constant reminder of the person whose life being saved cost the lover his life, and worst of all of those horrific things, d) not only lack any emotional support system for one's grief, but not even be allowed to acknowledge the death even happened. Carrying that kind of grief and horror all alone and completely unspoken is unimaginable. Noone comes through that even remotely okay. I'm getting thoroughly depressed just thinking about it.

Morninstar, I strongly suspect Cora is the Queen of Hearts because of how perfectly Henry, with his weakness and subservience, fits the role of the King of Hearts. He really is just pathetic. Yeah, he loved her, but since he never protected her, all that love did was show Regina that love is weak and ineffectual. He gave her the same lesson her mother did, just in a different way.

Edited by ViciousCircle, Apr 10, 2012 @ 11:04 PM.

MorninStar

MorninStar

Fanatic

Posted Apr 10, 2012 @ 11:26 PM

Regina may not have had a lot of choices, but she could have turned the King down.. she chose not to speak up. Granted.. she would have had to answer to her mother's wrath.. but what could Cora have done in front of the King? King Leopold did not force Regina into marriage (he did ask, although he was presumptuous). Regina could have also made a choice to tell her mother about Daniel much sooner, but she chose not to because she knew it would end badly. The specific course of events that occurred in Regina's life were not on account of Snow, but on account of Cora. I can't imagine anyone believes that Cora would have allowed Regina to marry Daniel, even if King Leopold & Snow had never come into Regina's life. Even if Snow had died on the back of that run-away horse.

ViciousCircle.. I have wondered about the Queen of Hearts and the subservient husband for quite some time and it does seem that Cora is a likely candidate for the Queen of Hearts. However, as weak (and ineffectual) as Henry was as a father against an abusive mother, he did support his daughter & love her. In turn, Regina treated him just like Cora had.. as a servant. There has to be some interesting back story there. We know that Cora made some sort of deal with Rumpelstiltskin.. I cannot help but wonder what it was and where Henry came from/who he is.

Irish64

Irish64

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 11, 2012 @ 9:26 AM

That is actually a huge part of the characters appeal for me. I can see the most frightening aspects of myself in Regina.

I think that is more like the frightening aspects in ALL of us. Not to over share, but I went through a bad time where I felt betrayed and felt that anger. I did some things that I would never do to "get back," (granted, it was to the people who deserved it,..not innocent bystanders) in manipulative ways and sat back and watched the shit hit the fan with a smirk on my face, no doubt like Mayor Regina. And there was a time where wallowing in that anger felt safe and almost "comfortable." Luckily I had no magic powers or access to a curse, (and yea, I woulda let that puppy out of the bag in a minute...and taunted my victims as it hit) and luckily I am more mentally stable then Regina, so I got out of the muck and moved on. Parrilla just gets that behind the anger is a lot of hurt, which makes that anger even more powerful(hell hath no fury then a person screwed over with a lot of self righteous indignation) Other actors would have gone the Disney Evil Queen route, ("yea, I am evil and that's uh about it) or done what looks like they did in the movie and totally camped it up, but Parrilla really gives you the vunerability which makes you want to save Regina in spite of herself. And yea, she camps it up in Fairy Tale land but even then she doesnt go over board and its almost as if Regina has developed this persona to hide who she really is.

I think I would have liked Snow more if, in her episode where she goes bad, she went bad because of her anger at Regina and life, NOT because of a stupid potion. Seems any easy off for her and would help develope her character better, which in addition to making her more relatable, would have show her as the flip side of the evil queen, feeling the hurt, acting out for a bit, and then rejecting that side of you.

Anyone who can turn an Evil Queen real, week after week, deserves some kind of recognition, and yea, the rack doesnt hurt!

Edited by Irish64, Apr 11, 2012 @ 9:29 AM.

ChelleNic

ChelleNic

Channel Surfer

Posted Apr 11, 2012 @ 10:52 AM

Irish64, I totally agree with your entire post. I think that's what makes Regina so interesting because most people can identify with that darkness. In real life no one is all good or all bad, we are different shades of gray that makes for a very interesting and wonderful world.

Of course (hopefully) no one here has let an unjust or unfair series of actions lead them down such a dark and destructive path, but many people have been truly hurt in their lives and could have easily choose that path. It's like looking at the worst case scenario of what could happen. I see the Regina character as a wonderful psychological case study and that does have a lot to do with Lana. She seems to really want to understand this character and the reasoning behind her actions be it lack of love, abuse, fear or just a mental breakdown.

Edited by ChelleNic, Apr 11, 2012 @ 10:55 AM.

Ameristar

Ameristar

Channel Surfer

Posted Apr 11, 2012 @ 1:41 PM

Am I the only one who feels Regina might actually have a fair chance at redemption on OUAT? I might be imagining it, but I really think by helping us understand her past perhaps they're prepping us for some type of revelation moment for her. While I love watching her play bad, I think the potential to really flesh this character out 100 percent would be interesting.

MorninStar

MorninStar

Fanatic

Posted Apr 11, 2012 @ 2:13 PM

Am I the only one who feels Regina might actually have a fair chance at redemption on OUAT?

Ameristar, I have wondered about that myself. The back story they have given us was intended to make Regina a more sympathetic character.. but they have sprinkled episodes with comments that make us question if she has gone down a path that is irredeemable. Maleficent remarked that enacting the curse would leave a hole in her that could never be filled (which I tend to believe is due to the requirement that to enact such a curse she needed to kill what she loved most, namely ripping her own father's heart out) What does that do to a persons soul? I suppose the writers can choose to play this out either way.. is there a point of no return? Or is there always hope (a theme of the show) for redemption? Even for those who have fallen as far as one can fall? Rumpelstiltskin claimed that the Snow (once she took the potion) was gone and that Charming needed to stop her from killing Regina before she went down the road to which she could never come back.

While I do think we all have a dark side I can't identify with Regina at all.. and I had an abusive childhood. I can understand the fear/terror that she had for her mother.. but I don't understand the displacement of that hatred.

Lana Parrilla is an excellent actress. She does try to understand her character and bring all that she can to the role but I sometimes wonder if she tries to bring something to the character that is not there, probably because she is trying to justify Regina's actions in order to play the role well. In interviews she says that she had to think about how selfish Snow was being in destroying her chances with Daniel in order to bring on the hate.. but from the way the scene was cut/edited.. it appears to be nothing of the sort-even from Regina's perspective.. that Snow did what she did selflessly.. because she wanted Regina to be happy even if it meant she would not have a mother.. that to Snow, it was more important that Regina have a relationship with her own mother and a happy ending with Daniel than it was for Regina to marry King Leopold & become her mother.

Ameristar

Ameristar

Channel Surfer

Posted Apr 11, 2012 @ 2:32 PM

Yes, but remember there is supposed to be a happy ending for everyone in The Enchanted Forest. They obviously want us to look at her from a sympathetic perspective, which I feel wouldn't make a lot of sense if they didn't plan for her to ever be redeemed. Jane Epenson is one of the writers, and since she worked on Buffy for so long, I have the hope she will maybe fight for Regina's eventual redemption, as if I remember correctly she fought for Spike (Buffy character). I don't know, I just don't get the feeling were done with Regina yet. Hopefully OUAT isn't as flat as an animated Disney movie always is. Hmmm. I'm excited to see where the rabbit hole will lead us... The writers are saying that the finale will shock the shit out of us. Who knows?

Edited by Ameristar, Apr 11, 2012 @ 5:09 PM.

Hick

Hick

Fanatic

Posted Apr 11, 2012 @ 2:54 PM

Not everybody gets to be redeemed in the real world. Many, many real life murderers didn't see the error of their ways either. A redemption storyline if done well, can be great. But frankly, so can a goold old "the villain must be defeated in the end" storyline. I do think it's possible, that we might pity Regina in the end a bit, because she once had the chance to choose a different road but always chose evil. But in any way redeeming her would IMO be totally the wrong road.

Besides, surely it isn't true, that everyone from the Enchanted Forest gets a Happy Ending. The Huntsmann or Stealthy the dwarf certainly didn't get one.

Ameristar

Ameristar

Channel Surfer

Posted Apr 11, 2012 @ 3:02 PM

I suppose it's wishful thinking, but really, what else can they do with her character that would be interesting? Redemption isn't always going to happen in the real world, but I find the whole beat the bad guy storylines to be tiresome. Good will prevail, blah blah. If the writers want to be innovative (let's pretend television and writing in general isn't just a bunch of regurgitated plot lines), I'd say, flip things on its head. I just don't want this show to be predictable, because I'll get bored. I Iike Regina, I think she's an awesome character with a lot of potential. Maybe she won't turn into a hero, but if she's capable of loving a little boy, maybe that's what wil save her. Maybe she'll go from black to gray. All I know is when the next season comes around if she's the only bad guy in town (I don't really see Rumpie as being a bad guy, just misunderstood), it's going to lose people's interest.

Hick

Hick

Fanatic

Posted Apr 11, 2012 @ 3:23 PM

I just think redeeming Regina would be like redeeming Voldemort. Giving her some more positive qualities, okay. But that's all I can see in store for her.

Irish64

Irish64

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 11, 2012 @ 3:34 PM

Am I the only one who feels Regina might actually have a fair chance at redemption on OUAT? I might be imagining it

I have always felt that this what they planned on doing, as I think the show is about a lot of things, redemption and salvation being one of the things, (i.e. salvation from the curse, Rumple's salvation from his curse, etc.) I think the "happy ending," for Storybrookers is a world without magic, a world with free will restored.

I don't know if they always planned it from the start, but I think after seeing how much heart and soul Parilla brings to the role, they may have thought a redemption arc for an iconic villainess would be in order.

I wish they had started that process before. 28 years is a long time to go around being a closeted arch villain. I said this before, all that time she had to get her but out of bed to go to city hall and deal with Ms. Ginger, wake a kid up to go to school, and maybe clean her own toilet (I would think that the cleaning staff of her castle of doom would now be converted into a Cleaning Business in Storybrooke but you never know.) That takes the fight out of a villain (its easy to be mean when you are isolated from people in your Castle of Doom, but Regina hasn't been.) I think it would have been interesting to see that she had changed a little and kind of liked being "normal," but with the return of Emma, things are getting out of control and she has to protect her fiefdom/not to mention having her kid find out the truth (like she ripped the heart out of his grandfather..)

MorninStar

MorninStar

Fanatic

Posted Apr 11, 2012 @ 3:43 PM

Voldemort.. Morgoth.. Sauron.. were any of them redeemable? Had they gone too far down the path to evil? Were they ever capable of anything else? Did they have a hole in their soul that could never be filled? Regina obviously knows right from wrong.. she makes that plain with the pained look she gets on her face when presented with a choice.. and then she consciously chooses evil. Can that change?

Ameristar.. I too have wondered if it will come down between some choice Regina will have to make with little Henry. Is she capable of loving him enough to redeem herself? What choice will she make? The one she ultimately made in the case with her father? Or will she choose another path? I think Regina loves Henry as much as she can, but is that the same type of love as Cora had for Regina? Regina chose the path she took very selfishly when she killed her father.. and even King Leopold. Yes, she was a flawed and hurting person, but she could not see anything from a viewpoint other than her own. Maleficent has been portrayed as 'the baddest of the bad' and I think they wanted to make Regina/The Evil Queen a character that would trump her. It will be interesting to see how it plays out.

Irish64

Irish64

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 11, 2012 @ 3:58 PM

Well, while not everyone is redeemed in the real world, we aren't dealing with reality. It would take a lot to expect viewers to watch these characters for two to three years (as much as I love the show I don't now how they could keep it up longer) and end with Regina dancing in her fire poker shoes while Emma and Henry laugh. A cartoon villain can be denied redemption but they have gone too far in making her far more then a cartoon. It would be unsatisfying to say the least.

Not everyone had a "happy ending," in the Enchanted Forest but happy endings there were pretty limited to finding your true love (hence Regina thinking she will never be happy) or finding a "perfect family" (Pinocchio and Hansel and Gretel) the afterthoughts (the drawfes, Cindy's animal helpers,etc) had to be happy basking in the glow of others happy endings or the were S.O.L. Maybe the "happy ending," for the Storybrookers is that the only happy ending you will get is if you work hard and accomplish things on your own and be strong and nice. And guess what, there can be all kinds of families from Snow's seven to Regina and Henry and yes, Emma thrown in. And maybe you don't have to have a "true love," or family but can be happy working (Regina) and running a business (Red.) And maybe you don't have to be a princess or totally pure of heart to get a happy ending.

Besides, do we really know who the Big Bad is? I think there might be something far more powerful and wicked then either Regina or Rumple at play here.

Hick

Hick

Fanatic

Posted Apr 11, 2012 @ 4:12 PM

To be honest, I do think that she's a cartoon-villain. At least the way she's written. Lana Parilla is a fantastic actress, who tries to give her some depth, but I think most of her behaviour is over-the-top cartoonish. But I don't mind it, since I enjoy her very much.

I think the "Big Bad" for now is either Regina or maybe the Curse itself. Maybe we'll learn in season three that the Queen of Hearts is an evil mastermind, who has her own important part in the game. But even if that's true, it wouldn't change, that Regina is a mass murderer, rapist and evil-witch, who magically enslaved thousands of people, just because she was unhappy.

That said, even though I wouldn't call it redemption, I do think it's possible, that in the end Regina has to sacrifice Henry junior to complete her triumph and isn't capable to do so, leading to her undoing. It would close the circle very nicely, given that she sacrificed the first Henry. That I think would be a fitting end to her storyline. But like I said, it's not the same as redemption IMO.

Irish64

Irish64

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 11, 2012 @ 4:23 PM

I would be happy with that and bring it full circle. No doubt Henry was the to fill a void in her life (from boredom but also the need to have a family apparently there are no adoption agencies in the Enchanted Realm) and also to have a kind of redemption for killing her father (I know there is none for that but in Regina's twisted mind.) Having her have to sacrifice herself to save the little brat would bring it full circle...I could see Cora wanting to rip his heart out as he is "not family," and Snow's grandkid but Regina stopping her (and a great all out bad ass witch battle that would be!)

Voldemort.. Morgoth.. Sauron.. were any of them redeemable?

True but we didn't watch them week after week, year after year. A one shot character is easier to watch "get whats coming to them", then a character who, while batshit crazy, you know why they are batshit crazy.

Plus I think all of them would have laughed at Regina's plan..."Banishing your enemies to a charming East Coast town where they never age, or die..a town that provides everything for them and is sheltered from the realities of the world it is placed? THAT is your idea for revenge and that is what you would call a "dark curse." BWHAHAHAHAHA..turn in your villain card sweetie!"

Edited by Irish64, Apr 11, 2012 @ 4:28 PM.

Ameristar

Ameristar

Channel Surfer

Posted Apr 11, 2012 @ 4:29 PM

Hold up here. Mass murderer? Can you inform me of the mass that was murdered? Lol, must have missed that.

So is the rapist thing everyone's verdict? Can emotionally convincing someone to have sex with you be considered rape? Hmmm... I suppose it was non consensual, but I'm hesitant to call her a rapist. I don't know if anybody is familiar with tv tropes, but rapists are pretty much unredeemable in tv land, if not in the real world. Yikes.

And I think that curse is an entity of its own, really. I don't think Regina even knew what she was getting into with that, and it may never even be reversible, who knows? I hope this show reaches conclusion before ABC axes it, since I loathe that network because they like to cancel things just for the hell of it.

In the Enchated Forest she really is quite cartoony, but the whole place is a cartoon. Honestly I find all of that cheerful nonsense annoying, (grew up loving/hating Disney as a child) so I want them to find happiness in our world, as opposed to "the land of bad cgi".

And as for Cora, no offense to the actress, but I could live without watching her Botoxed and pulled face try to show real emotions. Heh. Let's just say Regina killed her and move on.

Edited by Ameristar, Apr 11, 2012 @ 4:34 PM.

Houddy

Houddy

Stalker

Posted Apr 11, 2012 @ 5:56 PM

Am I the only one who feels Regina might actually have a fair chance at redemption on OUAT?

I hold out great hope for redemption because, well, let's face it, because I love her. I also feel like her mother did the single worst thing one person can do to another in Fairy Tale Land. If having a happy ending is dependent on being with your one true love, as it seems to be there, and there is only one true love for each person, as again it appears to be, then Cora didn't just kill Regina's boyfriend, she destroyed her chance at a happy ending. She basically doomed Regina to a tragic end. And to do that to your own daughter is just horrifying.

Of course the show could decide to spit on the basic premise of nearly every fairytale Disney has ever adapted by saying the whole "one true love = happily ever after" is a load of bull.

I am not sure how I feel about the show, down the road, stating that Daniel wasn't Regina's OTL. On the one hand, I do feel like she should have a far, far more interesting and dynamic true love (that guy was the definition of bland) but then I feel like it will make her make her vengeance and anger make less sense, unless they can find a way to show that she always believed Daniel was her OTL but then that gets into "more than one, one true love" territory. Oh, I'm so conflicted. I just hope we get a Regina/Rumple Gold sex scene someday because those two are frighteningly hot together.

Aliasscape

Aliasscape

Fanatic

Posted Apr 11, 2012 @ 5:58 PM

MorninStar I'm not even sure we all have a dark side. Capable of developing one given a certain environment, probably. But I feel like you can reach a point where you develop your self to a point you miss that path.

I had a great, happy childhood and I just don't hold grudges. I get some people are never going to feel sorry, or apologize, or realize they've done anything wrong. They're not going to deserve it, but I just don't have it in me to stay angry at anyone. Takes too much time and energy. If I can't stay angry enough at a person to avoid them for long than half a day, I can't imagine plotting against them. I'm not saying I'm perfect and I've got my own emotional issues, but angry grudge-holding just isn't among them. I felt like that's why they had Snow White drink a potion because she just didn't have it truly in her either as long as she had her most defined qualities. I don't think that makes her perfect or unrelatable. We all have different characters we'll identify with most. I don't think I relate to the queen as much as I find her a wonderfully dimensional villain done by a great actress.

I do think the queen was a rapist. The Huntsman had absolutely no choice. Sleep with her or die (or be tortured at least y having your heart squeezed repeatedly.). She did it to exert power and control over him. That's exactly what rape is about. I'm pretty sure if some guy had dragged a girl off to his bed chamber saying "you're my pet now" we wouldn't be trying to quibble about "But but...it wasn't rape because..."

Edited by Aliasscape, Apr 11, 2012 @ 6:00 PM.

Ameristar

Ameristar

Channel Surfer

Posted Apr 11, 2012 @ 6:16 PM

This show seems to be all about telling Disney to shove it, at least in my opinion. And you have a point, any sex due to a threat is by definition a rape. I think it's unfortunate though, and I blame that on bad writing, because they so clearly want us to root for her, even with such an ugly blemish on her character. Alias, what you mention about your inability to hold grudges reminds me of the whole nature vs nurture thing psych nerds like me are always thinking about. What makes a serial killer? Ted Bundy seemed to live quite a normal life yet turned out to be a total monster. You have to wonder if the whole psycho trait is born in you or if it grows inside you over time, after rampant abuse. Having your mother murder your OTL in front of you is a traumatic and horrible thing. I would have been pretty shocked if she didn't come out of that event totally scrambled. The question seems to be whether or not Regina really understands how evil the things she does really are. I think her view of right and wrong is completely bonkers, and in my opinion it's entirely possible she doesn't even see what she's doing is wrong. Hasnt everyone met a person who was responsible for their own misery yet totally couldn't connect the dots? I don't think she looks at herself the way we do, and that's tragic. Essentially when we talk of redemption it's going to have to be either a huge event to snap her out of this me vs the world attitude she's got, and I don't know if the writers are willing to go there. If they redeem her, they need to do it right, or just forget it.

chatster

chatster

Channel Surfer

Posted Apr 11, 2012 @ 6:41 PM

Regina's Redemption

From the moment I read that the show’s creators were Star Wars fans, I thought that their idea for how this series will end involves redemption but death for Regina. We’ve now seen a lighter side of Regina that seems like the young Anakin Skywalker who was driven to the Dark Side, became Darth Vader, but ultimately chose to die in order to save his son.

I have no idea who the ultimate villain will be in this series. I suspect that they could take it back to the serpent in the Garden of Eden, because (a) before he was trapped by the Curse, Zoso the Old Beggar seemed like he’d been a decent guy (closer to the stuttering Billy Bibbitt of One Flew Over the Cuckoo’s Nest, the Younger Brother of Ragtime and Doc Cochran of Deadwood than to the amoral sadist, Piter DeVries of Dune, the maniacal Voice of Chucky in the Child’s Play films, or the sniveling Grima Wormtongue of The Lord of the Rings trilogy) and (b) neither the pre-Dark-One Rumpelstiltskin nor the pre-Evil-Queen Regina appear to have been anything but good, decent loving characters whose evil was made, not born.

Another Role for Lana Parrilla

Unrelated to the Regina's Redemption discussions, never having seen Lana Parrilla before Once Upon A Time, I've been impressed by her performance in this series. I wonder if she might fit the profile for a James Bond love interest if Daniel Craig decides that he'll do one more Bond after Skyfall. Lana Parrilla will be 35 this year and is attractive, sexy and athletic. Daniel Craig is 44, and while he might be committed to reprise the Mikael Blomkvist role in the Dragon Tattoo series, if he were willing to handle another Bond film, Lana Parrilla might be a great addition to the long list of "Bond Girls."