Jennifer Morrison: Her Name is Emma

• Please log in to reply

1162 replies to this topic

Aliasscape

Aliasscape

Fanatic

Posted May 15, 2012 @ 2:19 PM

As far as the curse is concerned, Emma is magic in the sense that she was the one fated to break it, so she had powers to defy it that no one else did. Now that it's broken we don't know if she'll have any true magic, but since she wouldn't be able to fight Regina without it, it's likely that Rumple wrote something into the curse that would imbue Emma with powers once magic came to our world.

It would make sense if Emma still has some special reactivity with the magic in Storybrooke though. Because one drop of her parent's love on the parchment resulted in the curse reacting to her like she was a magnetic force. Dumping a whole bottle of the stuff down a well to bring magic to Storybrooke seems like it should also have a similar reactive nature. Because she is born of the same "thing" basically that is adding magic to Storybrooke it seems like thereby the magic born of it, shouldn't work on her or she should nullify it in some way.

Toughie

Toughie

Couch Potato

Posted May 15, 2012 @ 4:16 PM

My guess is that it wouldn't work if Emma wasn't in town.

It's why Gold wanted her in SB. It's why he's helped her. He needs Emma. Not to break the curse, he might not care about it. Actually, he probably doesn't care about it otherwise he would have told her how to break it. He just needs her there in SB so that he can have his magic back.

MorninStar

MorninStar

Fanatic

Posted May 15, 2012 @ 4:54 PM

If we concentrate on what RumpelGold did.. which was to pour love into the magic well whose waters are said to bring back what was lost; and not what Rumpy said about power.. what clues might that give us as to what might happen? Information is power. Love is powerful. What might Rumpy be up to? And how will it affect Emma and Regina (and everyone else?)

metaphysicist

metaphysicist

Couch Potato

Posted May 15, 2012 @ 6:00 PM

This thread need a new name. I like Dragonslayer, myself, but Cursebreaker might be more encompassing.

Crimson Belle

Crimson Belle

Couch Potato

Posted May 15, 2012 @ 8:36 PM

This thread need a new name. I like Dragonslayer, myself, but Cursebreaker might be more encompassing.

It has to have something about Princess hair. And maybe skin tight jeans. But definitely Princess Hair.

susan vance

susan vance

Loyal Viewer

Posted May 15, 2012 @ 11:13 PM

I agree with what others have said here, Jennifer Morrison was amazing in the finale from start to finish. The moment that really impressed me was near the end, when Emma believes Henry has died and she's standing at the end of his bed absorbing it - I don't know how JM does it but you can see in just a glance how this would hollow out and destroy Emma. So understated but utterly heartbreaking. Really well done.

traker

traker

Channel Surfer

Posted May 16, 2012 @ 10:39 PM

So the drop of true love empowered Emma to break the curse.

Truth and love seems to be her magic. It seems simple, both her "superpower" and cursebreaking
could come from it.

Toughie

Toughie

Couch Potato

Posted May 21, 2012 @ 3:26 PM

From the Henry thread:

The showrunners have spoiled that Henry's father is going to be important to the show. Given Emma's state of mind at the time she told MM that, it's impossible to know if her opinion of him is accurate. I wonder if they'll have a "real world flashback" to fill in that backstory. It might require a younger actress to be 17/18 year old Emma.

I wonder if the married man Emma had been involved with is Henry's father (which could be why he didn't know about the pregnancy (if Emma was telling Regina the truth in saying the father didn't know about him)). Or, are Married Man and Henry's Father two different guys.

Obviously could go either. But no matter, I really want to know more about Emma's back story.

Aliasscape

Aliasscape

Fanatic

Posted May 21, 2012 @ 5:53 PM

I'd like to go further back in Emma's story than just Henry's father (but beyond her babyhood.)I don't want them to blow through story lines too quickly with Emma and I'm actually hoping we don't learn about Henry's father in S2. But it's probably too much to hope for. I just feel like if they throw everything into the pot in one season we'll get a lot more of these break neck speed episodes like the last 2 where everything happens at once and interpersonal character development is minimized.

I'm less inclined to believe Emma actually spent that much time with Henry's father actually. In "True North" the father of Ava and Nicholas was all "I only slept with her once." And Emma goes "Sometimes that's all it takes." In a manner that made me think she only ever slept with Henry's father once. I guess he wasn't a guy she met one time, slept with one night and never saw again because she says he's not a "good guy". Unless she found out at the end of the one night that the guy was married or whatever. But I'm inclined to believe that the married guy might have been a different person. The whole jail stuff combined with that makes you wonder if he framed her for something or at least left her holding the bag.

Also I wish someone would do a post-finale interview with Jennifer Morrison about how it was to film a lot those finale scenes, especially getting into the green room and such.

Edited by Aliasscape, May 21, 2012 @ 5:55 PM.

Betsypaige1

Betsypaige1

Video Archivist

Posted May 21, 2012 @ 6:55 PM

I just feel like if they throw everything into the pot in one season we'll get a lot more of these break neck speed episodes like the last 2 where everything happens at once and interpersonal character development is minimized

I loved the breakneck pace of the finale (I liked the prior eppy too, but I LOVED the finale - actually thought it was epic). We'd spent all season on character development; the finale, things came to a head - and I thought it was spectacular and just what a finale should be.

I'm not worried about the writers rushing through other developments because I trust their vision. I'm personally not ALL that interested in finding out about Henry's father. When it happens, it happens and that's fine, but I'm not counting the days. Let's first develop the Charming family, with Emma as daughter, before we move on to Emma as mother. I think season 2 should be about relationships: the building or rebuilding of them. There are plenty of stories to tell in that regard, not just involving Emma, but everyone else. There's no need to rush this - and if they do, I would be disappointed.

Tzigone

Tzigone

Fanatic

Posted May 21, 2012 @ 7:17 PM

I loved the breakneck pace of the finale (I liked the prior eppy too, but I LOVED the finale - actually thought it was epic).

For me, the Pilot is still, hands-down, the best episode. Blows all the others away. The finale - I had issues with. I liked it, but it was too rushed to me. There wasn't enough time to deal with the emotions - not even the big ones like Emma dealing with Henry in the hospital dying. Certainly not for the lesser (also huge) issues. "Fairy tales are real" was dealt with for 30 seconds and the family stuff didn't even get a few seconds of "I can't deal with this now." I know we'll see it next season, but a touch or two would have been nice. I really feel like it would have been better had it had more Storybrooke and less Enchanted Forest. On rewatch, I tend to fast forward through most of the Enchanted Forest bits.

I'm personally not ALL that interested in finding out about Henry's father. When it happens, it happens and that's fine, but I'm not counting the days.

Same here. I'm actually hoping Henry's father turns out to be mostly what Emma said. Not a hero. And preferably not a fairy tale character. If he is a fairy tale character, then it better not be coincidence. I need her to have been sought out, conception intended, and real creepiness there.

Let's first develop the Charming family, with Emma as daughter, before we move on to Emma as mother.

Gotta disagree there. Emma is a mother. That has to be her #1 priority here. She can push her parents away or put them on the back burner or just run away scared from the relationship for a little while. She can't do that with Henry. She's gotta come through for him, be the mother he needs. Everything else (except world-saving, life-saving, heroic-stuff) has to come second to that. I'm very eager, though, to see her as a daughter, too. But an adult daughter. She's not a child, and should not act as one, for the most part. All the unease there, the awkwardness and the hope and the fear. That seems really intriguing to me. For her parents, too. To both love her as their daughter and respect that she's an adult. To really want a relationship with her, but not to force it. To not let her run away, and to confront her with her behavior (as Mary Margaret did recently), but to do so as her equals, not as people who have an authority over her.

Emma growing into her own, being the kind of hero her parents are (and her son has potential to be) - that also interests me. She doesn't take this sort of thing as easy as Henry does. But we've seen that when it's time to take action, she can do it. Emma adapting to the magic-is-real and everyone-is-a-fairytale-character bits - that's got to mess with her head. I'm really looking forward to that. I really hope they don't skip any time between finale and premiere.

I would like flashbacks or references to Emma's childhood, but mostly to further explore her emotional issues that will undoubtedly come to the forefront as she builds relationships with her parents and her son.

Emma as a lover, now that I could wait a season or two for. We have tons of great romance on this show already.

MorninStar

MorninStar

Fanatic

Posted May 21, 2012 @ 8:50 PM

Personally.. I doubt they have Henry's father figured into the plot until season 3 or 4. That will most likely be a 'biggie' .. perhaps another game-changer.

Emma growing into her own, being the kind of hero her parents are (and her son has potential to be) - that also interests me. She doesn't take this sort of thing as easy as Henry does. But we've seen that when it's time to take action, she can do it. Emma adapting to the magic-is-real and everyone-is-a-fairytale-character bits - that's got to mess with her head. I'm really looking forward to that. I really hope they don't skip any time between finale and premiere.

I would like flashbacks or references to Emma's childhood, but mostly to further explore her emotional issues that will undoubtedly come to the forefront as she builds relationships with her parents and her son.

I wonder if Emma will have any anger/'what the heck' moments.. considering that her parents sent her - only hours old - into a strange world to fend for herself. I would think for Emma to grasp what her parents intended when they did what they did would have to be an enormous leap. What decent parent that you or I know could do such a thing? (It's sort of like Superman, isn't it?) Emma cannot imagine a world with magic and a '(Enchanted)world-wide curse'. Of course any parent who gives their child up for adoption (as Emma did) is expecting and intending to be giving their child a better life (and in most cases that is so.)
I do agree.. she needs to be a mother first. Any ambivalence or joy or re-acquaintance with her parents should come second. I would like to see some flash-backs to Emma's childhood.

Toughie

Toughie

Couch Potato

Posted May 21, 2012 @ 10:59 PM

I wonder if Emma will have any anger/'what the heck' moments.. considering that her parents sent her - only hours old - into a strange world to fend for herself

I really do hope they address this. You can completely understand both viewpoints here. Snow and Charming, what choice did they really have? The curse was right upon them, they were saving their daughter. Yes, they didn't know what would happen, where she would go, but her chances were better in the unknown than the curse trapping everyone... forever.

But from Emma's point of view, no matter how much she intellectually understands what had to be done.. she was still left to fend for herself. If she's anything but conflicted about this, I wouldn't think it'd be realistic. Hell, I'm just a viewer and I'm conflicted with it lol.

Emma is a mother. That has to be her #1 priority here. She can push her parents away or put them on the back burner or just run away scared from the relationship for a little while. She can't do that with Henry. She's gotta come through for him, be the mother he needs

I completely agree. I think it was the second episode or so where Henry is all "I knew you believed me!" and Emma says she didn't say that and as he's running into school he says, "If you didn't why else would you be here?"

He thinks the only reason she's sticking around is because of the curse. At that point, he didn't even make the connection that she would stick around for him. And then near the end of the season when she's telling him she'll leave. And again, he's freaking out because the curse needs to be broken. It's not about leaving him.

When she's going up for Sheriff she admits to Mary Margaret that she's scared that if she isn't a hero or a savior then what is she to him? Everything is revolving around this curse and he hasn't even really acknowledged this mother/son relationship they could have. Their relationship and their dynamic this entire season has been revolving around the curse and Emma's role. I mean, from her POV, she's forming a relationship and getting to know her son. But from his? It's all about Emma the Savior and the breaking of the curse. Yes, he knows that's his mother (obviously) but he hasn't acted like it. Ya know?

So this next season, their dynamic is going to change. It's going from basically friends to mother/son. It'll be quite different. Something both of them will have to get used to. So I agree, that relationship needs to be her focus more than anything, even her own parents.

Granted, of course she's going to deal with that too. That's also why I don't see any romantic arc for her until at least the second half of the season. Emma has just too many emotional things to deal with and work on ... especially for a woman who's had the walls up her entire life... to also deal with a lover.

stealinghome

stealinghome

Stalker

Posted May 21, 2012 @ 11:04 PM

considering that her parents sent her - only hours old - into a strange world to fend for herself

Hours old??? Let's be precise here. Emma was like ten minutes old when she was sent through the wardrobe!

Aliasscape

Aliasscape

Fanatic

Posted May 21, 2012 @ 11:14 PM

None of what I've said doesn't mean I don't love the show or a particular episode. But there is a time to move right along and a time to slow down and take things slowly. We never get another chance to see Emma realize the curse, or realize when Regina knew who Emma was. (Though I totally want to see Emma realize she's a princess, heir to a fairy tale throne of at least one kingdom (possibly two merged together) Hopefully that's still forthcoming.)

What happens when you throw in a bunch of elements quickly, then some things get the short shrift. So if they introduce Henry's father quickly, then they won't have as much time to spend on Emma adjusting to fulltime parenthood (or daughterhood) or Henry adjusting to changing families. Especially if they're also going to waste time on giving Emma a love interest at the same time. I feel like the first two things are just so much more important to get proper development of before they leap into love interests or Henry's father. I want some feet on solid ground before it crumbles beneath them instead of just a rock slide off the edge of a cliff into a volcano followed by an earthquake. The impact just isn't as big if there's never any attempts at stabilization.

Edited by Aliasscape, May 21, 2012 @ 11:15 PM.

Betsypaige1

Betsypaige1

Video Archivist

Posted May 21, 2012 @ 11:22 PM

She's gotta come through for him, be the mother he needs. Everything else (except world-saving, life-saving, heroic-stuff) has to come second to that. I'm very eager, though, to see her as a daughter, too. But an adult daughter. She's not a child, and should not act as one, for the most part. All the unease there, the awkwardness and the hope and the fear. That seems really intriguing to me. For her parents, too. To both love her as their daughter and respect that she's an adult. To really want a relationship with her, but not to force it. To not let her run away, and to confront her with her behavior (as Mary Margaret did recently), but to do so as her equals, not as people who have an authority over her.

Ok, I realized I was not clear here. I do want to see Emma and her complete family (parents, Henry) all get to know each other; I just didn't want to deal with her as a mother in relation to Henry's father. As long as all the family dynamics are touched on, I'm fine. I think Charming in particular will spoil Henry rotten, lol.Poor Snow and Charming can't do anything except let Emma decide how she wants to handle this. The only thing they can do is show her and tell her how much they love her; I'm devastated for them that they missed out on their beloved's childhood. I do think being a good mother (and she finally called him Henry in the finale, not "kid", which to me is a huge deal) means that she does need to get to know her parents a lot better. Those are the primary relationships a child has and they influence a lot of what that child becomes. Emma missed out on that, but they can still have a terrific impact on her. I do not like hearing that Emma will get a romantic interest in season 2; the only thing that makes it palatable is that it's a way for her father to get closer to her. A father is a girl's primary male role model and the person she looks to subconsciously when looking for a romantic partner. I think Emma would be best off getting to know the kind of man her father first. If she does, she'll be better off in the long run as she won't get stuck with losers and drifters.

As an aside I wonder if Snow might one day get pregnant again?

I know I'm in the minority, but while I suppose I could understand Emma having issues stemmming from her childhood, this is a unique situation. Her parents were distraught at having to send her to another world, but they wanted only what they thought was a better future for her and for them all. She was very much wanted and loved - and still is. I'd like to see her show some level of understanding instead of taking the easy way out and blaming them.

Edited by Betsypaige1, May 21, 2012 @ 11:23 PM.

stealinghome

stealinghome

Stalker

Posted May 21, 2012 @ 11:28 PM

I'd like to see her show some level of understanding instead of taking the easy way out and blaming them.

I expect this to be a major sticking point for Emma in the new season. I think intellectually, in her head, she'll understand why Snow and Charming did what they did. But just because you understand something intellectually doesn't mean it's okay emotionally, so I expect Emma to be really cranky for at least a few episodes while she tries to get her head and heart in tune. One of those "I don't want to be mad at you, but I am, and I'm mad at myself that I'm mad at you" kind of things.

Though I will say, if Emma really did see Charming on his two-minute run to the wardrobe when she touched the book, that should garner the guy serious brownie points.

Betsypaige1

Betsypaige1

Video Archivist

Posted May 21, 2012 @ 11:43 PM

I expect this to be a major sticking point for Emma in the new season. I think intellectually, in her head, she'll understand why Snow and Charming did what they did. But just because you understand something intellectually doesn't mean it's okay emotionally, so I expect Emma to be really cranky for at least a few episodes while she tries to get her head and heart in tune. One of those "I don't want to be mad at you, but I am, and I'm mad at myself that I'm mad at you" kind of things.

Though I will say, if Emma really did see Charming on his two-minute run to the wardrobe when she touched the book, that should garner the guy serious brownie points.

But even emotionally, she can see what losing her childhood has meant to her parents. I'm not suggesting Emma won't or shouldn't have issues, just that I don't want to see a lot of anger (other emotions, ok) on her part. I guess it would just hurt me to see Snow and Charming lose their daughter again, even for a brief period of time. As Ginny says here:

http://onceuponatime-fans.com/

What would you like to see happen in Season 2?

Iím mostly excited about that. Iím excited to see how these women interact. Though Emma will inevitably understand why her parents sent her away, she no doubt harbors a lot of pain and has some abandonment issues and Iím excited to get to the core of those things.

A lot of things to work through?

Oh yeah. There will be a lot of us sitting down with Archie.

Let them go to Archie and try and work through this; better that than that Emma just storm out and build a wall around her again like she's done all her life.

I loved those flashes that Emma saw, because she saw her parents loving her and being desperate to save her.

Toughie

Toughie

Couch Potato

Posted May 22, 2012 @ 12:08 AM

For some reason I see out of the two between Snow and Charming, Snow might push a little bit more. I think Charming will be more reserved and go at Emma's pace... but at the same time, surprisingly push her when she needs it.

I don't know.. I have in my head (right now anyway) that Snow might be more pushy, trying to connect with her daughter, to get too close too fast or something... and it pushes Emma away, or freaks her out, and she keeps her distant a little bit. But then there's Charming, quietly there and she might "connect" with him more easily... he might take a backseat approach, a more friend approach.

Just IMO though, but the drama between mother and daughter is huge even when you don't have crazy issues like Snow and Emma so.. it's even more magnified in this situation I believe. So, it would make sense that Charming and Emma would reach an understanding with each other before Snow and Emma do.

Edited by Toughie, May 22, 2012 @ 12:09 AM.

stealinghome

stealinghome

Stalker

Posted May 22, 2012 @ 12:13 AM

Toughie, you might be onto something, and I'd add--it might be that the Mary Margaret-Emma friendship causes Snow to push a bit more. From her perspective, it might be that she and Emma already have this great relationship, so it's not like they're building from the ground up. While Emma, on the other hand, will just have had her world completely rocked, and will probably actually feel like she gained a mother but lost a friend. So that might cause a disconnect as well.

metaphysicist

metaphysicist

Couch Potato

Posted May 22, 2012 @ 12:29 AM

When they all get the complete and true story from Blue, Gepetto, Jimminy (we can't put too much blame on Pinocchio) they will have reason to unite in their, if not anger, disappointment with those whose actions resulted in Snow's and Emma's separation. I think Emma will conclude that her parents acted in the most honorable fashion possible, putting the best interests of the entire realm ahead of their parochial desires. I expect the immense pride that both Snow and Charming will feel for their daughter and her "finding" them after all the years, to be an important factor in building the relationship. Don't forget that no one surpasses Snow White in the empathy department.

stealinghome

stealinghome

Stalker

Posted May 22, 2012 @ 12:53 AM

Do we think that Snow and Charming will ever find out the true story? I kind of assumed they wouldn't. I suppose in part it rests on Pinocchio's fate....

It's true that if they tell Emma that Snow intended to go with her--and that if Emma had been able to hold out in Snow's stomach for like another day she would've been okay!--it might mollify her a teensy bit. Teensy.

Camera One

Camera One

Fanatic

Posted May 22, 2012 @ 1:48 AM

Do we think that Snow and Charming will ever find out the true story? I kind of assumed they wouldn't.

I can just imagine this scene...

EMMA: Why didn't one of you come with me in the wardrobe? Why did you send me with PINOCCHIO?!!!!!
SNOW AND CHARMING: Huh?

Aliasscape

Aliasscape

Fanatic

Posted May 22, 2012 @ 3:24 AM

See I LOVE Emma's temper and heh, I feel like part of having great parents is having that moment where you can truly just get angry at them without having to hide a single thought or emotion because you know they'll still love you anyway no matter what you say. Stuff about having a family or not are like Emma's buttons. She slammed that guy's head into the steering wheel in the pilot because he picked on her for not having a family. She cried over Ava and Nicholas's reunion with their dad. Emma's emotions should be running the gauntlet next season and wow, the thought of Ginny and Jennifer acting it makes me really really happy and makes me want it to be July and them to be filming. Those moments are the only ones I can ever imagine being tempted to watch sneak peeks for.

I also find it doubtful they'll ever fully address what Geppetto did. Though if he ever does, I kind of hope he learns about some of what Emma went through and just sort of apologizes in a way that we audience can tell how bad he feels without necessarily it ever being fully revealed to everyone in Storybrooke. I don't think there's much to be gained by him really being punished by the Snow and company in any way at this point (especially if his kid is still wood at that point). Just so many other people to be mad at for creating the curse and enacting it vs. people who made questionable decisions or had less than honorable reactions under pressure.

Haha, Stealinghome I know you didn't mean it that way but the whole "If Emma had been able to hold out one more day" like to blame her but it amused me momentarily. "Well if you weren't in such a hurry to be BORN!" What's funny is I'm the type of person who really hates the whole "well if just X simple thing had happened, something better would be." I'm the type of person who'd rather not know something I bought went on sale the next day you know? What's done is done, and knowing how close I was to a better outcome just upsets me more, not less. I mean they didn't have our meds to stop contractions sure, but where was the magic contraction stopping fairy dust when you needed it?!

Tzigone

Tzigone

Fanatic

Posted May 22, 2012 @ 6:00 AM

But from his? It's all about Emma the Savior and the breaking of the curse. Yes, he knows that's his mother (obviously) but he hasn't acted like it. Ya know?

There was that one time, in "The Price of Gold" when he said he just wanted to spend the day with her. Other than that, I agree there's not a lot. I wonder if that's partially because Henry doesn't want to scare her off.

I have admit, I don't see Emma being (much) upset with her parents for sending her through the portal. More than intellectually knowing they were trying to give her her best chance, I think the she emotionally understands it to a degree, because she gave up Henry for the same reasons. She can identify with the parent's position. She will be angry at what her life could have been with them, but not that angry with them, maybe. Especially since she knows that her fate would have been either to be cursed an infant for eternity or killed (would Regina killing her before the curse struck stop it?). The responsibility heaped on her savior was, of course, very unfair, but it wasn't her parents that assigned that responsibility to her. Anger could be directed at Regina, Rumpelstiltskin, even Geppetto.

I expect troublesome issues between Emma and her parents. Snow presuming more closeness than Emma is willing to have seems likely enough. It depends on how her time as Mary Margaret feels to her. I can see Emma either running scared from a relationship with her parents, or trying to act like everything is okay, but holding back anything she thinks they'll judge her for, or putting up walls and acting like everything is status quo, or feeling inadequate - there are a lot of possibilities. If they push for more than she's ready to give, that could make her angry. Of course, if they don't push, she might end up never having a relationship with them - she needs prodding sometimes.

What I really hope is addressed is that Snow is not Mary Margaret. More than just the relationship between them changing, a person has changed. That's got to be weird for Emma. The same could be said of the difference between David and Charming, but he and Emma don't have the same relationship, so that seems less an issue. Though now they have the issue of him feeling a closeness to her that she might not feel.

Do we think that Snow and Charming will ever find out the true story? I kind of assumed they wouldn't. I suppose in part it rests on Pinocchio's fate....

Well, they have to find out the broadstrokes, because August is there in town and is Pinocchio, and they have to learn that. Even if he stayed wooden, they'd know he was Pinocchio. At the very least, because Emma or Henry would tell Geppetto about him. Or Granny would find his body whens he went to clean the rooms.

I don't imagine it will get a lot of attention devoted to it, though. Snow and Charming will undoubtedly be upset for what their daughter had to go through because of it, but, as parents, they can understand where Geppetto was coming from. And they can't blame a seven year old. And the Blue Fairy was operating under the terms and conditions Geppetto set, and planned at least to have Snow with Emma.

Edited by Tzigone, May 22, 2012 @ 6:07 AM.

Betsypaige1

Betsypaige1

Video Archivist

Posted May 22, 2012 @ 7:38 AM

also find it doubtful they'll ever fully address what Geppetto did. Though if he ever does, I kind of hope he learns about some of what Emma went through and just sort of apologizes in a way that we audience can tell how bad he feels without necessarily it ever being fully revealed to everyone in Storybrooke. I don't think there's much to be gained by him really being punished by the Snow and company in any way at this point (especially if his kid is still wood at that point). Just so many other people to be mad at for creating the curse and enacting it vs. people who made questionable decisions or had less than honorable reactions under pressure.

I was not nor am I angry or disappointed in Gepetto and I do not want to see him take any sort of blame for what happened. The only person, IMO, who owes an apology to Emma and everyone (though that's putting it mildly) is Regina. I don't think the writers think of Gepetto as dishonorable, just a parent who had a terrible choice to make. He didn't do what he did to hurt Emma, he did it to help his son. I just don't think he's going to be punished for loving his son as much as he did. Punishment? Let the characters all gang up to bring the Evil Queen down - that's what I need to see.

Tzigone

Tzigone

Fanatic

Posted May 22, 2012 @ 8:03 AM

The only person, IMO, who owes an apology to Emma and everyone (though that's putting it mildly) is Regina.

At least Rumpel owes one - he created the curse! He gave/sold/traded it to Regina. He gave advice when Regina couldn't make it work. He wanted it to be implemented and worked to that end. Though, I have to admit, I don't expect either one of them to be offering up apologies.

Speaking of Emma, since this is her thread, to what degree does everyone expect humor from Emma regarding all this? I mean, it very much depends on the immediate effect of the purple smoke, I realize that. But the sheer ludicrousness of it all to a "normal" person like Emma surely gives us the opportunity for some humor. Obviously lots of drama and some angst, too. But when she meets the dwarves? Finds out the nuns are fairies? Learns she hired a werewolf to answer phones and pick up lunch? She's going to have to be sort of WTF at some of this stuff. She just has to do her best to keep a straight face, I guess.

Toughie

Toughie

Couch Potato

Posted May 22, 2012 @ 10:13 AM

Speaking of Emma, since this is her thread, to what degree does everyone expect humor from Emma regarding all this?

Maybe she'll have that WTF face she had on basically the entire finale. It's also weird because she knows these people's stories.. generally. She knows the general stories of all these characters but doesn't know them at the same time. Every relationship she made, except for Henry, she's going to have to remake. Relearn about these people. That's weird. And I wonder if she would feel any pressure that her parents are culturally iconic figures.

Tzigone

Tzigone

Fanatic

Posted May 22, 2012 @ 10:50 AM

And I wonder if she would feel any pressure that her parents are culturally iconic figures.

I thought about pressure. But not so much from them being cultural icons, as from the reality of what they are. True love's kiss, devotion to one another, taking back the kingdoms(it seems), self-sacrifice (Snow for Grumpy, Snow's letter), heroics, etc. They aren't perfect, but they are very good, and they are fairy tale characters in their larger-than-life-ness. She'll (maybe) read their stories and be like "real people don't do these things" and yet they did. As did numerous other people she's like to meet around town. I wonder if she'll feel like she doesn't live up to that.

Every relationship she made, except for Henry, she's going to have to remake.

Absolutely. I guess it's fortunate for her she didn't make many relationships. She'll have to reevaluate her opinion on Sean/Thomas or his father (if she even has one - they spoke once). Guess the same could be said for Michael Tillman. Ava just got more awesome. But the only significant interactions (more than one ep) Emma had, other than Henry and Mary Margaret, were:
  • Regina - she's evil, and a sociopath, but Emma already knew that. And they probably won't be into the relationship building. More fear, probably, with magic back.
  • Gold - she'll be taking her cue from the way others treat him, plus he did almost cost her son's life, and she knows not to trust him. More fear, probably, with magic back.
  • Sidney - she knows his ways now, and knowing the his real identity would only mean reinforcing that
  • August - not sure they actually need a relationship, but if they have one, they might actually be able to bond in their both having had "real-world" lives and he might understand her discombobulation better
  • Archie - I honestly don't know what the difference there will be. Her kid isn't in therapy anymore. And Archie is really a *cricket*. I can't decide if she'll react worse or better to knowing he was human before that.

The first three don't have the same relationship issue. While she will almost definitely be interacting with them, it's unlikely to be a on personal level that often. Enemies or temporary allies, for the most part. I'm hoping for more of the former.

I really didn't think there was any need for August, but as a fellow citizen of the "real-world" she might talk to him more often. Wonder if he will go by "August" or "Pinocchio"? Be interesting to see what he thinks of the magic coming back.

Jiminy isn't Henry's therapist, so that avenue of interaction may be closed. Unless he just takes it upon himself to talk with Henry frequently. Don't really know how he'll figure in next season.

All the rest are people she only interacted with peripherally, for the most part, and/or aren't as close to her. Ruby, Granny, David - she saw them a fair bit, but didn't really connect with them (except maybe Ruby in "Red-Handed"). She was more open with Tillman and Ashley, because of the kid issue, but they are characters less likely to reoccur.

She knows the general stories of all these characters but doesn't know them at the same time.

I mean, there are big things she won't expect - like Red being a werewolf, or how Hansel & Gretel got separated from their father. And just minor incorrect assumptions that, if she voices them, are bound to draw a second-glance.

Edited by Tzigone, May 22, 2012 @ 10:52 AM.

MorninStar

MorninStar

Fanatic

Posted May 22, 2012 @ 2:37 PM

I can just imagine this scene...

EMMA: Why didn't one of you come with me in the wardrobe? Why did you send me with PINOCCHIO?!!!!!
SNOW AND CHARMING: Huh?

OH MY GOSH!! This had me laughing!! Too funny! :D

At least Rumpel owes one - he created the curse! He gave/sold/traded it to Regina. He gave advice when Regina couldn't make it work. He wanted it to be implemented and worked to that end. Though, I have to admit, I don't expect either one of them to be offering up apologies.

Rumple did give advice to Regina and create the curse.. but he also gave advice to Snow & Charming on how to break the curse. It isn't just a one-way street with Rumple which makes him a more ambiguous and interesting character.

Emma & Snow will be interesting.. Snow, although naturally 'motherly' has never had the opportunity to be a mother. Snow also has a lot of 'loss of mother' issues having lost her own mother at an early age, and it's what drove her to (innocently) betray Regina's secret; Snow didn't want to see anyone else loose their mother. But, in reality.. that's exactly what happened to Emma.. she never had a mother. Although there can be some making up for lost time, there is no replacement for never having grown up with a mother.

In most cases, when someone gives their child up for adoption, it is through some sort of institutional agreement where some protections have been put in place for the well-being of the child. There really was nothing of the sort for Emma. Although we don't know the specifics of Emma's decision to put Henry up for adoption, I can only guess that she assumed it was through some sort of channel where her son would have a chance at a better life.. Snow & Charming had no clue what was going to happen to Emma or who would look out for her.