Jennifer Morrison: Her Name is Emma

• Please log in to reply

1162 replies to this topic

metaphysicist

metaphysicist

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 6, 2012 @ 12:45 PM

The only "real" thing that Emma can take out of recent events, is that Regina has a true hatred for Mary Margaret, and will go to great lengths to harm her. Mary Margaret can supply no reason for Regina's hatred, but Regina, herself, confirmed it to Emma, as well as to Mary Margaret. Emma vowed to Mary Margaret to discover Regina's motives. The only person to provide any sort of rationale for Regina's actions is Henry - "The Evil Queen Hates Snow White." We saw Emma looking at the pages in the book where The Evil Queen made her threat about "destroy all your happy endings." With August pushing her and Jefferson making a return and surely continuing his dialog with Emma about the Curse, the path toward Emma accepting this "insane" idea seems to have opened.

Emma will have to agree with Sherlock Holmes, that when "You eliminate the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth."

ViciousCircle

ViciousCircle

Video Archivist

Posted Apr 6, 2012 @ 8:55 PM

Mary Margaret can supply no reason for Regina's hatred, but Regina, herself, confirmed it to Emma, as well as to Mary Margaret. Emma vowed to Mary Margaret to discover Regina's motives. The only person to provide any sort of rationale for Regina's actions is Henry - "The Evil Queen Hates Snow White."

Mary Margaret does supply a reason for Regina's hatred, though. She had an affair with Regina's friend, which broke up the marriage, and then the friend disappeared. Just the first part explains a good chunk of dislike, and once Kathryn was presumed dead, Regina believing that Mary Margaret killed her is enough to warrant hatred which is exactly what Regina told Emma her reason for hating Mary Margaret was. She told Mary Margaret something else, but Regina can easily explain that, as well as everything else Emma thinks Regina's done, in a way that is much more believable to an adult than fairy-tales-must-be-real-and-she's-a-magic-evil-queen.

Emma: Mary Margaret said that when she told you she was innocent, you said "I know." Can you explain that?

Regina:Can I explain Miss Blanchard's apparent inability to detect sarcasm? No. Now why don't you do your job, Ms. Swan, and find out what really happened to my dear friend Kathryn.

Emma: Damn it. That sarcasm thing actually makes sense, especially coming from you. I should have you dead to
rights, but I'm foiled again. And I can't even mention the keys and the shovel, or the shard I somehow didn't
find till a week after I first searched the area, almost as if it wasn't originally there/was planted later.

Regina: Even if you could, I'd just point out that Mr. Gold has keys to your apartment and every other
building he owns, that a garage is not a particulalry secure building, and that I am clearly not the
type of person to own cheaply made items of any kind, including shovels that break whilst digging a 6-inch
deep hole. You know who does keep a great many shoddy old things around, though - Mr. Gold. You remember Mr.
Gold, he's the man who has, in the last two months, sold a baby,attempted to put nuns out on the street, beat
a man nearly to death, led his own client into all but confessing to the DA to a murder that never even
occured, and oh yes, set my office on fire, while I was in it. For the 8 billionth time: Do.Your.Job.
Ms. Swan.

Emma: Crap. I don't believe you, yet that's all both true and reasonable. I EFFING HATE YOU!

Regina:(smiles, soaks up the hate, powers up a level)

bigredcat7

bigredcat7

Fanatic

Posted Apr 6, 2012 @ 10:36 PM

ViciousCircle, you are awesome-sauce. That was a pleasure to read.

metaphysicist

metaphysicist

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 7, 2012 @ 5:01 AM

The following is taken from the Wikipedia entry, Knight of the Swan.

Swan Children
Helias, Brabant (16th-century)

Version I describes the Swan Children and appears to have been originally separate from the Godfrey cycle and the Swan Knight story generally.[3] Paris identifies four groups of variants, which he classifies usually by the name of the mother of the Swan Children.[4]

In the Dolopathos group, named after the oldest variant, a lord finds a mysterious woman — clearly a swan maiden or fairy — in an enchanted forest and marries her.[4] She bears seven children, six boys and a girl, with golden chains about their necks, but her evil mother-in-law has them quickly removed and abandoned and replaces them with dogs.[5] The father blames the mother for their disappearance and punishes her; in turn, the boys lose their gold chains and turn into swans. Through the efforts of the sister, after seven years the truth is revealed, the mother is redeemed, and the boys are restored to their human form, with the exception of one whose chain has been melted down. The poet asserts that he becomes the swan in the Swan Knight tale.[5] The Eloixe group tells a courtlier version of the same story, in which the mother is less mysterious in origin and dies in childbirth, so she does not suffer before her children are restored.[6] In the Isomberte variants, the woman is a princess fleeing a hated marriage.[7] In the Beatrix variants, the woman had taunted another woman over her alleged adultery, citing a multiple birth as proof of it, and was then punished with a multiple birth of her own.[7] In the Beatrix versions, the mother is also an avenging justice.[8] This makes the tale resemble not only such chivalric romances as The Man of Law's Tale and Emaré, but such fairy tales as The Girl Without Hands.[9] It also bears resemblance to the fairy tale The Six Swans, where brothers transformed into birds are rescued by the efforts of their sister.[10]

I think we've just discovered the source of Emma's surname,

MorninStar

MorninStar

Fanatic

Posted Apr 10, 2012 @ 2:20 AM

The swan story I grew up with is The Wild Swans, a literary fairy tale by Hans Christian Andersen about a princess who rescues her eleven brothers from a spell cast by an evil queen.

Edited by MorninStar, Apr 10, 2012 @ 2:21 AM.

metaphysicist

metaphysicist

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 10, 2012 @ 4:17 AM

The swan story I grew up with is The Wild Swans, a literary fairy tale by Hans Christian Andersen about a princess who rescues her eleven brothers from a spell cast by an evil queen.

I think we must acknowledge that the show's creators are very well versed in classical literature. Swan appears to be the perfect name for our Foundling Princess.

metaphysicist

metaphysicist

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 18, 2012 @ 3:13 PM

Continuing on the "foundling" theme, I have encountered (only the title of unfortunately) a novel by Irish author Charlotte Brooke,published in 1803, Emma, or the Foundling of the Wood. I have found no synopsis as of yet.

metaphysicist

metaphysicist

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 19, 2012 @ 4:42 PM

The publisher of Emma, or the Foundling of the Wood, by Charlotte Brooke was

Publisher: London, Printed for J.F. Hughes, by J. Swan; and sold by the B. Crosby and Co., 1803.

syjo

syjo

Just Tuned In

Posted May 2, 2012 @ 11:48 PM

Okay, this seems like the most logical place to post Baby!Emma comments...

Baby!Emma was so sweet and precious!!!!!!
2 things...
1) I hadn't considered before, but I now find it completely implausable that Baby!Emma didn't get adopted. Hell, I wanted to adopt her!!! (and I'm scared to death of babies!)

2) This ep gave me so much more empathy for (adult) Emma and her deep emotional woundedness walls. Poor thing, no wonder she's a train wreck. Annnnd maybe I'm in the minority here, but I really kinda like Emma's character. In fact I will even say she's my favorite, and Baby!Emma totally cinched it.

Okay, I'm done now.

CheerAngel

CheerAngel

Fanatic

Posted May 3, 2012 @ 12:49 AM

A baby found in the woods probably wouldn't have been adoptable right away- there would have been an investigation for 3-6 months probably to make sure she wasn't lost or kidnapped or something. If the foster family they placed her with wanted to keep her after the case was closed and she became adoptable they probably would have been allowed to for sake of giving her a stable early life. They may have said or intended to adopt her but from what we saw of the father and the number of fosters they had at the start they probably just liked the check they got for her every month.

I thought this episode also illuminated that not only does adult Emma have issues with trust and love, but she also has pretty much zero sense of self worth. She doesn't think she could be the savior not only because she doesn't want the burden, but she also doesn't think herself capable of it.

Edited by CheerAngel, May 3, 2012 @ 12:50 AM.

Tricksterson

Tricksterson

Fanatic

Posted May 3, 2012 @ 9:20 AM

I believe Emma's said a couple times that she got bounced around the system a lot and that all the foster homes she was in saw her as just a check.

Aliasscape

Aliasscape

Fanatic

Posted May 3, 2012 @ 12:32 PM

The issue isn't so much the bouncing around after she was 3. After 3, yeah her chances of being adopted start to go down. And after the abandonment from the family she had until then, I'll bet she was a moody 3 year old at that. (Plus even untroubled 3 year olds are often mouthy, defiant and hyper. I think a lot of people wonder if they can put their kids up for adoption at that age.) It's those first 3 years that are just unbelievable. A healthy, white, blond, blue(green?) eyed, infant, female child is practically the highest demand for adoption in America.

I guess you could wonder if her first family could have begun adoption proceedings and purposefully drawn them out for 2 years?

In the CW series "Life Unexpected" where we were again supposed to believe such a child languished in foster care for 16 years they at least made the excuse to explain away WHY she wasn't adopted as a baby by giving her a correctable heart defect that required several surgeries through out her baby/toddler years, so that by the time she was healthy she was beyond prime adoption age.

Edited by Aliasscape, May 3, 2012 @ 12:34 PM.

Tzigone

Tzigone

Fanatic

Posted May 3, 2012 @ 12:47 PM

It is a stretch, that's for sure. How long, legally, before she would be available to adopt? If Pinocchio was presumed a relative, how would that affect things? Especially after he ran away?

funnybia

funnybia

Channel Surfer

Posted May 3, 2012 @ 2:58 PM

It's those first 3 years that are just unbelievable. A healthy, white, blond, blue(green?) eyed, infant, female child is practically the highest demand for adoption in America.

In the Pilot Emma told Henry that she had a family until she as about three, but they had their own kid and sent her back to the foster system.

CheerAngel

CheerAngel

Fanatic

Posted May 3, 2012 @ 3:43 PM

There generally aren't any take backs once an adoption is final. Most likely her first foster family expressed an intent to adopt her and just never did.

Triper

Triper

Channel Surfer

Posted May 3, 2012 @ 9:17 PM

I think that the reason why Emma was never adopted or had a happy life also has to do with the curse. If Emma had a family and grew up loved and happy, her desire to find her family and a place where she belongs would not be as strong. I think that while deep down she really wants to believe that the curse is real and that she has a family and a world that loves her, she is just so scared of it not being real that she protects herself by denying it.

I love the character of Emma, it's the main reason why I watch this show.

syjo

syjo

Just Tuned In

Posted May 4, 2012 @ 1:47 PM

Good point Triper! I posted this in the epidsode thread, but will repeat the sentement here... the main reason I want Emma to believe, isn't so much to break the curse as it is for that gal the have her family!! I can't wait to see the scene/moment when Mary Margret and David realize she's thier daughter! But, I'm betting that won't be happening this season, or probably even next. I guess I'll just have to keep watching...

Aliasscape

Aliasscape

Fanatic

Posted May 7, 2012 @ 10:06 PM

I didn't agree with like a single decision Emma made in episode 1.21(well I didn't mind her trying to make a deal with Regina but it was because she was leaving town which I didn't agree with) but I found her very believable in making them, and just could feel her desperation to find the RIGHT answer and right solution and hating what she was coming up with.

And okay, what was with the skirt she was wearing when she went to see Regina? "I'm leaving town, just came by to tell you and make a deal for visitation..." so I'll wear a skirt and tights to make a good impression? (Perhaps kinda like how Regina, having no idea who was at the door, took off her apron and tousled her hair. Ah impressions.)

I've never been against Emma's portrayal but I'm so glad to see the pay off in watching it change throughout the season from her being so closed off, detached, unemotional so that now that she's really getting upset and emotional, it feels all the more compelling. Now if she would just hug her mommy (or let her mommy hug her) , all would be right in my world.

Also like that Jennifer Morrison's even been getting a few high fives from the critics in other recaps I've read.

mileyavril

mileyavril

Channel Surfer

Posted May 9, 2012 @ 5:48 PM

I agree. I felt so bad for her. But I absolutely LOVE Emma, she's my fav character. As a side note, JM's going to be in the House series finale. I don't know if anyone else watches it. If anybody does, do you think it was hard for her to get back into Cameron after just playing Emma?

metaphysicist

metaphysicist

Couch Potato

Posted May 9, 2012 @ 6:04 PM

If anybody does, do you think it was hard for her to get back into Cameron after just playing Emma?

Cameron always had a (mostly hidden) hard streak in her. Especially how cavalierly she treated sex with Chase early on. They can just bring out a little more of that and we'll have Dr. Emlison Cameron.

syjo

syjo

Just Tuned In

Posted May 9, 2012 @ 9:34 PM

I think that somewhere up there someone mentioned that Emma's self worth is pretty nill, and I totally agree. I don't think she believes she deserves Henry's love. And the little guy is so desperate for a mother's affection. He hugs her with everything he's got and she just can barely accept it. I too have enjoyed watching the character development/journey of Emma. I loved the scene with Mary Margret scolding her, esp. that Mary Margret wasn't giving her any outs for her behavior and calling her to be responsible and "figure it out". But also, that Emma took it and didn't fly off in an argument back. She in a way received Mary Margret's "tough love". Which I suppose is a start for her receiving some type of love. By the spoiler pics/promos looks kinda like she comes completely unglued in the next episode at the hospitol with Henry and AT Regina. She's a totaly train wreck, but I <3 Emma.

metaphysicist

metaphysicist

Couch Potato

Posted May 10, 2012 @ 3:38 PM

If you still have the old episodes, to get a feel for this, rewatch them but pay attention mostly to Mary Margaret/Emma scenes and Gold/Emma scenes. But also check out, in particular, The Price of Gold and True North in addition to the obvious ones, The Heart of a Lonely Hunter, and, of course, The Stranger. The continuity of her portrayal is extraordinary.

she comes completely unglued in the next episode

Apparently with good reason!

Edited by TWoP Tennison, May 10, 2012 @ 8:24 PM.
Initials, boards-on-boards

stealinghome

stealinghome

Stalker

Posted May 13, 2012 @ 11:30 PM

Props to JMo for tonight's episode. I thought it was by far the best work she's done on the series (perhaps because it was also the meatiest material she's been given). She's taken flack throughout the season, but I thought she was hands-down the best actor on the show tonight.

Betsypaige1

Betsypaige1

Video Archivist

Posted May 13, 2012 @ 11:51 PM

I've always liked Jennifer Morrison in this show (never have seen her elsewhere), but tonight she completely rocked it. I LOVED the line " it's storming like a bitch", lol.

She was a pissed off mother lion out to protect her cub - and she wore that mantle well.

legaleagle44

legaleagle44

Stalker

Posted May 14, 2012 @ 12:46 AM

Props to JMo for tonight's episode. I thought it was by far the best work she's done on the series (perhaps because it was also the meatiest material she's been given). She's taken flack throughout the season, but I thought she was hands-down the best actor on the show tonight.

WORD. She proved to me tonight that she's totally worthy of her place in the cast. I'll be interested to see what she does with Emma in Season 2, now that Emma knows the truth and is making the adjustment to life in the new Storybrooke. And yes, I can't wait for that reunion with her parents, now that she knows who they are and they know who she is.

Aliasscape

Aliasscape

Fanatic

Posted May 14, 2012 @ 1:27 AM

I was rewatching the episode realizing this is Jennifer's first green room/green screen work for this series at least right? And there was absolutely no sign she didn't fully commit. The way her eyes bug out when the dragon flies back up out of the hole was awesome! And the crying over Henry. And the anger and rage at realizing it was all true and this was Regina's fault.

Jen had a zillion amazing moments tonight!

chatster

chatster

Channel Surfer

Posted May 15, 2012 @ 10:46 AM

Emma's Got Magic?

Maybe I’m clouded by a purple haze, but I’m confused by the suggestion that Emma Swan has magical powers.

So far, the only characters I can recall who’ve been able to use “magic” without having acquired possession of some potion or dust (such as the dust used to convert trolls to insects at the troll bridge) have been Evil Queen Regina/Mayor Regina Mills, The Blue Fairy, Dark One Rumpelstiltskin Gold, Dark One Zoso, Maleficent, The Pre-Mirror Genie, The Siren, The Sugar High Children Eating Blind Witch, Red, Evil Mother Cora, Jefferson (Hat Assisted) and an unseen character who can etch names on miners’ pick axes. Can’t recall whether Wonderland’s Red Queen also had unassisted magical powers.

So other than claiming to have a “superpower” that enables her to expose lies and having her parents’ skill at undoing a comatose state through “true love’s kiss,” what other magical powers does Emma Swan have?

oldandnewfirm

oldandnewfirm

Couch Potato

Posted May 15, 2012 @ 11:16 AM

As far as the curse is concerned, Emma is magic in the sense that she was the one fated to break it, so she had powers to defy it that no one else did. Now that it's broken we don't know if she'll have any true magic, but since she wouldn't be able to fight Regina without it, it's likely that Rumple wrote something into the curse that would imbue Emma with powers once magic came to our world.

Dani-Ellie

Dani-Ellie

Fanatic

Posted May 15, 2012 @ 11:33 AM

Jen had a zillion amazing moments tonight!

My absolute favorite is the little moment, right after she's made the leap into full belief, when she hears Regina's voice asking after Henry. It was "holy crap, this is all actually real" to "I'm going to KILL her" in less than two seconds.

As for Emma having magic, I think it'll be interesting to see what, if any, she ends up with. Magic isn't in her parents' bloodlines, so she can't inherit it in the Charmed sense. But since Snow and Charming's love is magic, Emma's born of it. I honestly can see it going either way.

MorninStar

MorninStar

Fanatic

Posted May 15, 2012 @ 12:20 PM

Dani-Elle, I loved that same moment when Emma went from stunned belief to a look of a murderous unleashed beast when she heard Regina enter the room. It was awesome.