Jennifer Morrison: Her Name is Emma

• Please log in to reply

1162 replies to this topic

mustbekarma

mustbekarma

Fanatic

Posted Oct 26, 2011 @ 8:07 PM

...and she has a super power. She can always tell when people are lying. She's also Ginnifer Goodwin's twin, apparently. Seriously, she and Ginnifer Goodwin look so much alike I thought Emma was being playing by Ginnifer. OK, Ginnifer and Jennifer. I bet they're both pronounced the same, too.

So far, I really like Jennifer as Emma. I also believe Emma has hidden levels of badass. Of course, I was really willing to call her an idiot when she chased the bail jumper down while wearing four inch heels. Then I saw the car boot. Hee.

I think I'm really going to love Emma.

And I almost forgot the most important part. She will save them all.

Edited by mustbekarma, Oct 26, 2011 @ 8:09 PM.

Tableau

Tableau

Fanatic

Posted Oct 26, 2011 @ 8:15 PM

I probably would have gone with Jennifer Morrison as Emma: Finding People is What She Does

ReverseFleckerl

ReverseFleckerl

Couch Potato

Posted Oct 26, 2011 @ 8:17 PM

Her courage will change the world.

I really like JM's facial expressions, right down to the slight tightening of her eyes when Meanie Mayor lied about loving Henry.

HelenBack

HelenBack

Fanatic

Posted Oct 26, 2011 @ 8:28 PM

I don't think they look alike, but for those who do, one signature feature that will help: Morrison's mouth is on the narrow side, has slightly thin lips and turns just a bit downward at the corners, while Goodwin's is fuller, wider, and her lips have a very curvy, classic Cupid's-bow shape, with upturned, slightly indented corners.

Morrison, upon review, definitely reminds me of Ali Larter on Heroes, in the beginning. She has this wonderful steely implacability about her that makes her victory seem inevitable.

She softens considerably once in Storybrooke, but I think we will see that steely side again, and I'm looking forward to it!

mustbekarma

mustbekarma

Fanatic

Posted Oct 26, 2011 @ 8:40 PM

I toyed with something about finding people or saving them all, but they made a big deal about her name. Snow White told Rumpelstiltskin "Her name is Emma," and Mr. Gold at the end made a big deal of Emma being a pretty name. I was trying to keep the thread short and do something more original than Jennifer Morrison as Emma: blah, blah blah.

I also thought of Jennifer Morrison as Emma Swan: If You Have Problems, She Will Fix Them. I almost wish I had gone with that now. She had that nice little exchange with Henry.

I like that one, too.

Edited by mustbekarma, Oct 26, 2011 @ 8:55 PM.

IvyDarling

IvyDarling

Stalker

Posted Oct 26, 2011 @ 10:00 PM

That's Xena's tagline in her show intro.

I probably would have gone with Jennifer Morrison as Emma: Finding People is What She Does

I like this one.

Also, I don't think that JM and GG look alike at all. I don't see it.

Edited by IvyDarling, Oct 26, 2011 @ 10:01 PM.

ReverseFleckerl

ReverseFleckerl

Couch Potato

Posted Oct 26, 2011 @ 10:05 PM

I know it's Xena's tagline. . . Oh! I wasn't suggesting it for a thread title. I was commenting on Emma and amusing myself (mostly with visions of JM back a Brunette, truth be told.)

ElectricBoogalo

ElectricBoogalo

Stalker

Posted Oct 27, 2011 @ 1:59 AM

Jennifer Morrison as Emma Swan: If You Have Problems, She Will Fix Them

Haha, this makes her sound like Vanilla Ice!

I, too, thought Emma was an idiot for wearing such ridiculously impractical shoes to a date when she knew she might have to chase down her target, but once I saw the boot on the car, I rescinded my judgment from about two seconds earlier.

Tableau

Tableau

Fanatic

Posted Oct 27, 2011 @ 9:01 AM

I, too, thought Emma was an idiot for wearing such ridiculously impractical shoes to a date when she knew she might have to chase down her target, but once I saw the boot on the car, I rescinded my judgment from about two seconds earlier.

I don't know. I still thought it was a dumb idea to wear a dress and a pair of shoes she could barely move in when she was chasing the guy period. What if he had spotted the boot before he got into the car and called a taxi or simply ran instead? There's no way she could have moved fast enough to catch him.

QueenofCups

QueenofCups

Fanatic

Posted Oct 27, 2011 @ 1:14 PM

still thought it was a dumb idea to wear a dress and a pair of shoes she could barely move in when she was chasing the guy period. What if he had spotted the boot before he got into the car and called a taxi or simply ran instead? There's no way she could have moved fast enough to catch him.

This is Emma's introduction, and I guess it was more important to the producers to create an initial first impression of her as sexy and tough rather than to be realistic. At least they did show later that running in heels hurts!

They also had her not wearing any sort of wrap or covering over her sleeveless dress, and that bothered me too, because the scene took place at night and it would be chilly.

statsgirl

statsgirl

Fanatic

Posted Oct 28, 2011 @ 11:03 AM

I loved it when she got home and kicked off the high heels in relief. The shoes even professional women are expected to wear these days are ridiculous and it was nice to see a show finally acknowledging it.

I'm rooting for JM in this role. Unlike GG, she doesn't have another character to play off of, and unlike LP, she's not supposed to be chewing the scenery so the role is a more difficult balancing act.

Cameltoes

Cameltoes

Couch Potato

Posted Oct 31, 2011 @ 4:39 PM

I am really happy that JM is back on my television screen weekly.

Morrison, upon review, definitely reminds me of Ali Larter on Heroes, in the beginning. She has this wonderful steely implacability about her that makes her victory seem inevitable.

She softens considerably once in Storybrooke, but I think we will see that steely side again, and I'm looking forward to it!

This is what I always appreciated about JM on House - she brings a combination of strength and vulnerability to her roles. Emma is "tougher" than Cameron but JM plays essentially good, though flawed, heroines very well. Emma's pain and sadness is obvious but it doesn't overwhelm her character. There's just enough angst to make you root for her (and Henry) to win.

Edited by Cameltoes, Oct 31, 2011 @ 4:40 PM.

LightMyCandle

LightMyCandle

Fanatic

Posted Oct 31, 2011 @ 5:24 PM

Over the years, I've gone on many rants about how much I hated JM on House and how I didn't feel she was a very strong actress (though I've always thought she'd be suited well for comedy with such broad facial expressions).

Cameron irritated me on just about every level and I probably unfairly blamed it on JM. But, learning more about JM I really grew to like her as an actress and I think she's gotten a lot better and she's much more subtle in her acting now. I thought the way she was kicked off of House was pretty awful. She was always supportive of the show (she still is when asked about it) and they basically made her a glorified extra for two seasons and then fired her. I can't say I miss the character at all, but I felt sorry for JM.

I'm really glad that she's been consistently working since then. I'm also glad that I've been able to see her in other roles, playing much more likeable characters than self-righteous Cameron.

I started watching this show for her and I want it to do well because she deserves it, IMO. I think she's doing a great job as Emma and it's nice to be able to root for her for a change.

MichaelaBelle

MichaelaBelle

Couch Potato

Posted Nov 3, 2011 @ 8:56 PM

I think it's a combination of both the writing of the character and the actress, but I'm finding Emma Swan to be the weak link on the show. I don't think she's charismatic or compelling or interesting. In fact, I find her downright boring.

spanky91088

spanky91088

Fanatic

Posted Nov 3, 2011 @ 9:29 PM

I think it's a combination of both the writing of the character and the actress, but I'm finding Emma Swan to be the weak link on the show. I don't think she's charismatic or compelling or interesting. In fact, I find her downright boring.

I think that's a result of the story that's being told though. She is, literally, an average girl dropped into a fairy tale. I don't see it being a problem as the story picks up. She's either going to become more interesting as she deals with these issues, or everything else will get so hectic, having her as an anchor of sorts will be a relief to the audience.

mustbekarma

mustbekarma

Fanatic

Posted Nov 3, 2011 @ 9:59 PM

I love Emma. I loved her since the "boot." The chainsaw made me even happier. I really like that she's staying to protect Henry, even when it would be emotionally easier for her to just walk away. I enjoy Jennifer in the role.

She is, literally, an average girl dropped into a fairy tale. I don't see it being a problem as the story picks up. She's either going to become more interesting as she deals with these issues, or everything else will get so hectic, having her as an anchor of sorts will be a relief to the audience.

Emma's been given the hardest role of all, to be the "normal" character who slowly discovers she's literally a fairy-tale princess. I don't mind a subtle performance, because I don't equate subtle with wooden. I'm digging Jennifer's acting for this role.

The chainsaw and attacking the apple tree really cemented that for me, plus how she bonded with Henry at the end of the episode.

HelenBack

HelenBack

Fanatic

Posted Nov 4, 2011 @ 4:33 AM

I think she's tremendous. My favorite part, so far, is the gentle portrayal of Emma's bafflement at her own actions. She understands her anger, she knows she's stubborn, so she knows where she is with it when she's reacting to patently unjust behavior.

But when she finds herself opening up to Mary Margaret and bonding with Henry, there's this wonderful "WTF am I doing?" look on her face, mixed in with all the other feelings she's naturally having at the time, that just slays me.

HyacinthBucket

HyacinthBucket

Couch Potato

Posted Nov 4, 2011 @ 6:55 AM

I think Emma's demeanor so far has been cautious and skeptical, and Jennifer Morrison has played it the way I would expect it to be played at this point. In real life, she comes across as vivacious, sweet, and likable in interviews, so I imagine that she would be able to convey that warmth on screen when the time is right. Anyone who can speak so highly of her ex-bosses from House after her strange exit from the series gets my vote for Hollywood's Nicest Person.

I think the fact that Ginnifer and Jennifer are actually good friends in real life will translate well on screen in the future.

MDKNIGHT

MDKNIGHT

Fanatic

Posted Nov 4, 2011 @ 3:14 PM

I liked the expression when she realized that IF Henry was right that Ms Blanchard is her mom and is her same age. Talk about awkward. It was also funny. I think she's doing well so far.

ETA

Since Snow knows Emma is sleeping in her car I think it would be funny if she told her to put on a sweater and say "You should eat." I would laugh any time she unintentionally says something "mom-like."

Edited by MDKNIGHT, Nov 4, 2011 @ 3:17 PM.

Aliasscape

Aliasscape

Fanatic

Posted Nov 12, 2011 @ 6:22 PM

I'm trying to figure out the number of times Emma calls Henry "Henry" vs. "kid". I feel like she calls him "kid" almost constantly (emotional barrier she's putting up perhaps?)

I also have loved seeing JM's interviews, where she explains how she sees Emma. She even did quite a bit of reading into the emotions of jostled around foster kids and their trust/attachment issues, feeling like they have no one to rely on but themselves. I feel like she's going to do her best to make Emma's loner loneliness as real as she can make it.

Emma had two of my favorite lines this week, one already in the quote thread to Henry about Regina, "She's going to kill me. then you, then me again." and then the one to Mary Margaret's question, "Your parents, did you ever find them?"

"Depends on who you ask."

My sister of course injected logic into this and is like okay, so how long before Emma's yanking hairs from Mary Margaret and stealing drink glasses from David Nolan to DNA test them against herself? I know right now Emma isn't anywhere close enough to believing to feel the need to do such a test. But it would be interesting to see her debate it someday.

Edited by Aliasscape, Nov 12, 2011 @ 6:23 PM.

stealinghome

stealinghome

Stalker

Posted Nov 12, 2011 @ 6:59 PM

Emma had two of my favorite lines this week, one already in the quote thread to Henry about Regina, "She's going to kill me. then you, then me again."

Yeah, I actually laughed at that. JM's delivery was perfect.

It struck me on rewatching the first episode that the wardrobe people dressed Emma in a contemporary female version of the way they dressed Prince Charming in the Enchanted Forest. The thigh-high leather boots, skintight jeans (Emma)/leather pants (Charming), and then the white shirt under the red coat. I like to think it was intentional!

HelenBack

HelenBack

Fanatic

Posted Nov 12, 2011 @ 7:07 PM

I'm trying to figure out the number of times Emma calls Henry "Henry" vs. "kid". I feel like she calls him "kid" almost constantly (emotional barrier she's putting up perhaps?)

She does call him that a lot, and I do think it's a way to sort of, I don't know, keep things casual. Whenever I hear her say it, I have the feeling she's trying not to say "honey" or some equivalent. Nicely subtle work, there.

Interesting to see Morrison's done such in-depth research! Smart of her. Maybe that's partly why I felt Emma was so complete a character before we even got to know her.

Aliasscape

Aliasscape

Fanatic

Posted Nov 13, 2011 @ 2:48 PM

Yeah, seems Jennifer was big on the research. Not only did she read memoirs of foster kids, she also read books on how to become a bail bonds-person.

I rewatched the first 3 episodes last night because I am obsessed of course. I think she calls him Henry exactly once in the pilot, at his "castle" and then refers to him as Henry once to Regina when asking if she loves him. Both uses struck me as moments when she was feeling particularly close or protective of him. Otherwise it's "kid". I think there were nearly none in the 2nd episode at least directly to him and I think there were a couple more uses in the 3rd episode so I feel her barriers are coming down a bit with him, though she's still working on how she feels about Mary Margaret.

I'm now really interested to see what she'll do to deal with actually being a roommate. I imagine she probably hasn't lived with anyone in years and while she needs a place to stay, I wonder if she'll do things to try and stay isolated somewhat even while living with Mary Margaret. Not that MM's there all day as she has school to teach, but I don't seem Emma leaping into any kind of joint activity nights, it's probably iffy on joint meals.

CheerAngel

CheerAngel

Fanatic

Posted Nov 14, 2011 @ 6:27 PM

I for one found her eagerness to get new scripts (the way a fan would be to get new episodes) very endearing.

Fun little detail- someone pointed out in the easter eggs thread that among Emma's spartan possessions was the baby blanket with her name on it. Works as a further indication of Emma's squishy marshmallow center. Its also a great detail considering her history as a foster child- if she were constantly on the move between families, never having a place to truly call home, she may have clung to something that was not only intended especially for her, but also was proof of who she was (especially since names are so important in fairy tales).

Aliasscape

Aliasscape

Fanatic

Posted Nov 15, 2011 @ 5:20 AM

Yeah. The baby blanket totally flies in the face of Emma's, "I'm not sentimental." Oh really now?

I always find this extra something in movies and TV shows where you can tell the actors are really enjoying what they're doing, really getting along, really wanting it to do well, and just all around loving the concept and their characters. I feel it elevates the performance when you can tell the actors just can't WAIT to act out these scenes and hope they live up to everything they feel the writers imagined for them. Also when they feel like they're doing something that hasn't been done a thousand times before. Which is funny considering what has been done a thousand times before more than fairy tales, but you can tell they don't feel like they're playing a part they've played a bunch of times or doing yet another "Insert played out concept show here" on TV.

Spartan Girl

Spartan Girl

Fanatic

Posted Nov 17, 2011 @ 1:42 PM

Thanks to Twilight, I can never hear "Swan" as a last name ever again.

MichaelaBelle

MichaelaBelle

Couch Potato

Posted Nov 17, 2011 @ 9:53 PM

Its also a great detail considering her history as a foster child- if she were constantly on the move between families, never having a place to truly call home,

I know this is how Emma has described her childhood and it's probably supposed to be true, but it's also so highly implausible. She was found as a healthy infant with no family. There is no way a healthy white infant, especially a healthy girl, would not be adopted. There are thousands and thousands of families waiting to adopt such a child. The only way a healthy young child would not be quickly adopted is if there was perhaps an emotional disorder that no family could overcome, such as an inability to love or attach. I thought maybe that is what Regina was getting at. That Emma was incapable of long term attachments. Perhaps even as a child, it wasn't the families rejecting her as much as she rejecting the families.

CheerAngel

CheerAngel

Fanatic

Posted Nov 17, 2011 @ 10:31 PM

She also said she had a family until she was three. Since she was found by the side of the road the police probably placed her with a foster family until they could make sure no one was looking for her, and that family decided to keep her (either dragging their feet witb adoption paperwork or they liked the government stipend too much) until they had their own kids and then sent her back into the system. Twice abandoned, and once she could remember would mess with anyone's sense of belonging.

Aliasscape

Aliasscape

Fanatic

Posted Nov 17, 2011 @ 10:35 PM

Their whole foster home scenario, I do wonder how it works out. I mean okay, surely there was first an investigation that this infant wasn't victim of foul play, kidnapped, parents hadn't gotten in a car accident and she was thrown from the car and no one was looking for her. Then after deciding she was abandoned, would they have searched for the parents to prosecute? But anyway, without the exact safe haven leaving scenario where it's a pretty arbitrary time limit before they can adopt out, I do wonder if she wasn't immediately adoptable.

Anyway, so the people who fostered her, how long would they leave her in the same foster home until the people decided if they wanted to adopt her? Would she have been matched up with other families during that time period?

Being 3 years old did put her slightly out of the prime adoptable age. But then after that, I assume she probably DID have issues related to her double rejection basically.

Also, I note they say Henry was adopted at 3 weeks old. So Regina wasn't like awaiting his birth. Emma's issues about Ashley being forced to give the baby up made me wonder if Emma felt like she was somewhat forced to let Henry go. That it wasn't a decision she had made for 9 months. Did she perhaps try to raise him for a week or two before deciding to put him up for adoption?

So many questions.

Cameltoes

Cameltoes

Couch Potato

Posted Nov 30, 2011 @ 12:24 AM

I only have a little experience with foster care but from what I saw, they try to leave kids in the same foster home as long as everything is working out for all parties. Adoptions can take a long time if the biological parents are in the picture and their parental rights have to be taken away/given up (i.e. due to abuse, severe neglect, drug abuse, etc). I know of a situation where a white baby girl had foster parents for a few months but they gave her up because they couldn't get absolute assurance of being able to adopt. The baby's biological mother had such severe drug problems that no one believed she'd ever be able to raise her but the couple didn't want to take the chance of losing her at some point.

I continue to be impressed by JM's work. Even though she's decided to stay in Storybrooke, it's still obvious that a part of Emma wants to keep running. She's formed attachments and made commitments but she is still fearful. I like how JM is playing it.

Slightly OT but it seems that there is a possibility that "House" is winding up. I hope that she is asked, and ABC allows her to be part of the series finale whenever it happens.